Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of books were that cheap :D! There were some on the shelf, but the lady also said she had a box of books in the back that she hadn't been able to sort through yet. She brought it out for me so I could take a look. They know me there :).

I'd like to read more Robert A. Heinlein, I really liked Starship Troopers.  Tortilla Flat, it's good, like most Steinbeck "short" stories.  At only 200 pages, it might be good for a read-a- thon.  All his shorts stories are good- Cannery Row, The Red Pony, The Pearl, Of Mice and Men... The pic I posted of me and Peri are in Monterey (Show Yourself thread), is just near Tortilla Flat, by Cannery Row's Sardine factory (No longer one, than goodness!  Yuck.)

I also downloaded three Kindle freebies in the past few days:

Joseph Jacobs - English Fairy Tales

Kakuzo Okakura - The Book of Tea

Matt Stone - Diet Recovery 2: Restoring Mind and Metabolism from Dieting, Weight Loss, Exercise, and Healthy Food

I'll post a review of Rainbow Rowell - Fangirl next.

Rainbow Rowell - Fangirl

19174917.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age-range: Young Adult

Format: Paperback

Pages: 475 (including bonus stuff)

Synopsis (GoodReads):Cath and Wren are identical twins, and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She's horribly shy and has always buried herself in the fan fiction she writes, where she always knows exactly what to say and can write a romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life. Without Wren Cath is completely on her own and totally outside her comfort zone. She's got a surly room-mate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words ...And she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone. Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realizing that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible ...

My thoughts: I had heard good things about this author and this book, so I bought it recently and decided to read it not too long after.

This book was really good. The writing style drew me in, the book reads easily while talking about more complicated issues. I really liked all the characters. I could particularly identify with Cath, the main character. There were quite some unexpected plot twists, and I really enjoyed them. The book deals with a number of personal issues of the characters, and I quite enjoyed the way the author handled these issues.

A big part of the book is Simon Snow, the series and character upon which Cath's fanfiction is based. I loved reading about him and the other characters in that universe. I really liked Cath's passion for her writing and for these characters. Interspersed with chapters of Cath are snippets from Cath's fanfiction or from the original Simon Snow books. I really liked this, it was all very interesting to read, very enjoyable.

The book reminded me of when I was in my first year of university. It's different here than in the United States so some things don't apply as much, but the feeling of being the new one and starting in a new place, I do recognise that from when I was a first year student. I would've perhaps liked to hear more about Cath's various classes but otherwise I can't fault the book.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and wanted to keep on reading to find out what would happen. Overall I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone to whom the synopsis sounds good. I really enjoyed it.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

I've now read 155 books this year.

Lately I've been reading a lot of contemporary fiction. I usually tend to read from a variety of genres, not sure why I've been feeling like reading a lot of contemporary, lately :shrug:.

All of books were that cheap :D! There were some on the shelf, but the lady also said she had a box of books in the back that she hadn't been able to sort through yet. She brought it out for me so I could take a look. They know me there :).

Aww, that`s really nice.  :D

Congrats on the number of books read.  :smile:

Ernest Cline - Ready Player One

11389422.jpg

Genre: Science-fiction

Age-range: Adult

Pages: 374

Synopsis (GoodReads):It's the year 2044, and the real world has become an ugly place. We're out of oil. We've wrecked the climate. Famine, poverty, and disease are widespread.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes this depressing reality by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia where you can be anything you want to be, where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets. And like most of humanity, Wade is obsessed by the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this alternate reality: OASIS founder James Halliday, who dies with no heir, has promised that control of the OASIS - and his massive fortune - will go to the person who can solve the riddles he has left scattered throughout his creation.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that the riddles are based in the culture of the late twentieth century. And then Wade stumbles onto the key to the first puzzle.

Suddenly, he finds himself pitted against thousands of competitors in a desperate race to claim the ultimate prize, a chase that soon takes on terrifying real-world dimensions - and that will leave both Wade and his world profoundly changed.

My thoughts: I bought this book a couple of years ago, after I saw it recommended somewhere. I wasn't sure what to read and have been meaning to read this book for a long time, but have been putting it off because my copy is a bit big (this was before I knew to check for the size of a book that you want to order).

This book drew me in straight away. I really regretted not reading it earlier. The book is amazing in many different ways. I loved the writing style, the characters, the plot, the references..

I loved the game within the world (OASIS). I loved how it worked. I loved all the references to video games, films, TV shows, music and books. While I didn't know some of the references I did know others and really enjoyed them. I looked a few things up too.

I'm finding it hard to write this review, as I liked everything about the book. I find it easier to write a review about a book that I liked but didn't love, then I can talk also about the things I didn't like. Of course, I'd rather read a book I love! This book is definitely one of my favourite reads of 2014 (and of all-time). It was just so awesome. As someone who's played quite a few video games, a lot of the elements of the story were familiar to me (such as terms like quest, chatroom or hacking). I could follow the story easily. I liked the characters a lot and loved how the main character grew throughout the book.

The book is split up into three parts, called Level One, Level Two and Level Three (this was great). In these parts there are chapters. I thought they were well paced. There is a lot of exciting action in the story as well as parts that are more about character development or giving information and background stuff. I loved learning about the world of the book.

I kind of wish there existed a game a bit like OASIS, it sounds like tons of fun. There are so many possibilities inside it.

There were quite a lot of unexpected plot twists, and also a few that I did expect (this didn't bother me, though). Some things that happened I really didn't expect and made things very suspenseful. I continuously wanted to keep on reading to find out what would happen.

I'm not sure what more I can say about the book. I loved it! If the synopsis sounds appealing at all, I highly recommend you read the book. It's brilliant.

I've now read 155 books this year.

Lately I've been reading a lot of contemporary fiction. I usually tend to read from a variety of genres, not sure why I've been feeling like reading a lot of contemporary, lately :shrug:.

Crikey!  Marvelous, Gaia! :D

Ernest Cline - Ready Player One

11389422.jpg

Genre: Science-fiction

Pages: 374

Synopsis (GoodReads):It's the year 2044, and the real world has become an ugly place. We're out of oil. We've wrecked the climate. Famine, poverty, and disease are widespread.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes this depressing reality by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia where you can be anything you want to be, where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets. And like most of humanity, Wade is obsessed by the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this alternate reality: OASIS founder James Halliday, who dies with no heir, has promised that control of the OASIS - and his massive fortune - will go to the person who can solve the riddles he has left scattered throughout his creation.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that the riddles are based in the culture of the late twentieth century. And then Wade stumbles onto the key to the first puzzle.

Suddenly, he finds himself pitted against thousands of competitors in a desperate race to claim the ultimate prize, a chase that soon takes on terrifying real-world dimensions - and that will leave both Wade and his world profoundly changed.

My thoughts: I bought this book a couple of years ago, after I saw it recommended somewhere. I wasn't sure what to read and have been meaning to read this book for a long time, but have been putting it off because my copy is a bit big (this was before I knew to check for the size of a book that you want to order).

This book drew me in straight away. I really regretted not reading it earlier. The book is amazing in many different ways. I loved the writing style, the characters, the plot, the references..

I loved the game within the world (OASIS). I loved how it worked. I loved all the references to video games, films, TV shows, music and books. While I didn't know some of the references I did know others and really enjoyed them. I looked a few things up too.

I'm finding it hard to write this review, as I liked everything about the book. I find it easier to write a review about a book that I liked but didn't love, then I can talk also about the things I didn't like. Of course, I'd rather read a book I love! This book is definitely one of my favourite reads of 2014 (and of all-time). It was just so awesome. As someone who's played quite a few video games, a lot of the elements of the story were familiar to me (such as terms like quest, chatroom or hacking). I could follow the story easily. I liked the characters a lot and loved how the main character grew throughout the book.

The book is split up into three parts, called Level One, Level Two and Level Three (this was great). In these parts there are chapters. I thought they were well paced. There is a lot of exciting action in the story as well as parts that are more about character development or giving information and background stuff. I loved learning about the world of the book.

I kind of wish there existed a game a bit like OASIS, it sounds like tons of fun. There are so many possibilities inside it.

There were quite a lot of unexpected plot twists, and also a few that I did expect (this didn't bother me, though). Some things that happened I really didn't expect and made things very suspenseful. I continuously wanted to keep on reading to find out what would happen.

I'm not sure what more I can say about the book. I loved it! If the synopsis sounds appealing at all, I highly recommend you read the book. It's brilliant.

Great review, I have it on the shelf, glad to read you enjoyed it so much!  Very encouraging. :)

Great review!  If I liked more SF, I would totally give it a go!  It sounds like something you'd like- with the gaming and all.  :smile:

Thanks Anna :)!

Great review! I've heard of it before and thought it was already on my wishlist, but apparently not. Well, it is now. :D

Thanks BB :)! I hope you enjoy it if / when you read it.

Crikey!  Marvelous, Gaia! :D

Great review, I have it on the shelf, glad to read you enjoyed it so much!  Very encouraging. :)

Thanks Kate :)! I hope you enjoy it when you read it.

Ernest Cline - Ready Player One11389422.jpgGenre: Science-fictionAge-range: AdultFormat: PaperbackPages: 374Synopsis (GoodReads):It's the year 2044, and the real world has become an ugly place. We're out of oil. We've wrecked the climate. Famine, poverty, and disease are widespread.Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes this depressing reality by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia where you can be anything you want to be, where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets. And like most of humanity, Wade is obsessed by the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this alternate reality: OASIS founder James Halliday, who dies with no heir, has promised that control of the OASIS - and his massive fortune - will go to the person who can solve the riddles he has left scattered throughout his creation.For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that the riddles are based in the culture of the late twentieth century. And then Wade stumbles onto the key to the first puzzle.Suddenly, he finds himself pitted against thousands of competitors in a desperate race to claim the ultimate prize, a chase that soon takes on terrifying real-world dimensions - and that will leave both Wade and his world profoundly changed.My thoughts: I bought this book a couple of years ago, after I saw it recommended somewhere. I wasn't sure what to read and have been meaning to read this book for a long time, but have been putting it off because my copy is a bit big (this was before I knew to check for the size of a book that you want to order).This book drew me in straight away. I really regretted not reading it earlier. The book is amazing in many different ways. I loved the writing style, the characters, the plot, the references..I loved the game within the world (OASIS). I loved how it worked. I loved all the references to video games, films, TV shows, music and books. While I didn't know some of the references I did know others and really enjoyed them. I looked a few things up too.I'm finding it hard to write this review, as I liked everything about the book. I find it easier to write a review about a book that I liked but didn't love, then I can talk also about the things I didn't like. Of course, I'd rather read a book I love! This book is definitely one of my favourite reads of 2014 (and of all-time). It was just so awesome. As someone who's played quite a few video games, a lot of the elements of the story were familiar to me (such as terms like quest, chatroom or hacking). I could follow the story easily. I liked the characters a lot and loved how the main character grew throughout the book.The book is split up into three parts, called Level One, Level Two and Level Three (this was great). In these parts there are chapters. I thought they were well paced. There is a lot of exciting action in the story as well as parts that are more about character development or giving information and background stuff. I loved learning about the world of the book.I kind of wish there existed a game a bit like OASIS, it sounds like tons of fun. There are so many possibilities inside it.There were quite a lot of unexpected plot twists, and also a few that I did expect (this didn't bother me, though). Some things that happened I really didn't expect and made things very suspenseful. I continuously wanted to keep on reading to find out what would happen.I'm not sure what more I can say about the book. I loved it! If the synopsis sounds appealing at all, I highly recommend you read the book. It's brilliant.Rating: ***** (10/10)

Going way higher up on the wish list, i forgot about this book when we were doing our lists. Love your cover.

Dave Nasser with Lynne Barrett-Lee - Giant George

12958727.jpg

Genre: Biography

Pages: 272

Synopsis (GoodReads):Dave Nasser reveals what it's like to share his life and home with the world's biggest dog, a Great Dane who has appeared on Oprah and been written about by AOL News, Fox News, and L.A. Times

In 2006, Dave and Christie Nasser welcomed a Great Dane puppy into their lives?the runt of a litter of 13 who won over the hearts of his new owners with his soulful blue eyes. They named him George and he swiftly changed their lives. In February 2010 George was officially crowned tallest dog ever by the Guinness Book of World Records. Standing at almost five feet tall and seven feet long, George has come to dominate the Nassers' home. He has grown from a quivering misfit into a goofy giant?eager to play with everyone and boisterous to the point of causing chaos. Yet George is a big softie?a gentle giant frightened of water, of dogs a fraction of his size, and of being left alone. This is the full heartwarming story of Dave and Christie's life with George?his likes and dislikes, his diet, habits, and quirks. It's also the story of their love for each other, their struggle to start a family, and how they've had to adapt their home to accommodate their extraordinary pet.

My thoughts: After watching the film Snow Dogs I felt like reading a book that involved a dog. I bought this book at the book fair in February earlier this year. I didn't know anything about George, hadn't heard of him but the book sounded good so I thought I'd give it a go.

This was a great story. I loved reading about George and his family. I felt bad for the trouble Dave and his wife went through (with George, but also with starting a family). The story is well written and reads easily. There are coloured photos in the middle of the book, of George and his family. These were really nice to see and I thought really added something to the story. George sounds like a really sweet dog, it was so nice to read about his character.

Our dog Boris is big, though not as big as George of course. But I could recognise some of the things the owners had to do, such as don't leave food on the counter. Boris can also reach onto the counter, even at the back.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed reading this book. I didn't love it as much as I loved Marley & Me (by John Grogan), but one of the reasons for that is also, I think, that that was the first biography I read that was about a dog. Anyway, I quite liked this book. George sounds like an awesome dog. I was sad to hear, via the forum, that he passed away last year. I guess it makes sense considering the time he's lived, but still.

Overall I'm glad I picked up this book. It's a great, endearing story.

Rating: ***** (9/10)

Stephanie Perkins - Anna and the French Kiss 1: Anna and the French Kiss

18741152.jpg

Genre: Chick-lit

Age-range: Young-Adult

Pages: 403 (excluding excerpt)

Synopsis (GoodReads):Anna has everything figured out - she was about to start senior year with her best friend, she had a great weekend job, and her huge work crush looked as if it might finally be going somewhere... Until her dad decides to send her 4383 miles away to Paris. On her own.

But despite not speaking a word of French, Anna finds herself making new friends, including Etienne, the smart, beautiful boy from the floor above. But he’s taken – and Anna might be too. Will a year of romantic near-missed end with the French kiss she’s been waiting for?

My thoughts: I felt like reading something that was easy to read and not too complicated, something romancy. I'd heard good things about this book so I bought it not too long ago.

This book was quite good. I read it in two days which is pretty good. The writing style was nice and very accessible. The book has great characters and some nice plot twists. I really enjoyed the descriptions of Paris, too. The book isn't just about romance, it's also about friendship and we also hear about the school and how the lessons are for Anna. Anna really likes films and I enjoyed the bits about certain films.

I really liked most things in this book. There were a few things that irked me (though it's probably just me!). The first thing is that Anna likes a certain person right away, before she's talked to him much. I'm someone who needs to get to know someone before I like them, for me personality is a big part of someone being attractive. So I couldn't fully imagine how Anna felt at this point in the story, because that's not how it's worked for me. I did very much enjoy the conversations between Anna and the other characters, though! It was a minor niggle in the beginning only.

The other thing was the one instance to do with drinking, seeing as I don't drink much and have no desire to drink, go to a bar or dance in a club or whatever, this scene spoke to me less. But again it's only a small part in the book, and a very normal thing for many teenagers. I'm just not like that, well, wasn't like that when I was a teenager.

Other than those two things, I really did like the book. There was more depth in it than I was expecting, ie. family issues and friendship issues. I quite liked reading this book. I already have book 2 (though I'm not sure yet how it relates to book 1) of the series, book 3 is on my wishlist and will be a birthday gift for me. Books 2 and 3 are about different main characters. I already met the character of book 3, but I don't remember anyone with the name of the character in book 2. Time will tell as I read it, I guess :). Overall then I really enjoyed this book and am glad I read it.

Rating: ***** (9/10)