Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

I liked American Gods. Apart from the fact I enjoyed the story, seeing as he is British, I think Gaiman did a great job writing a book that is slap bang typical of that American Gothic genre.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Graveyard Book is good fun, very typical Gaiman style. I enjoyed Ocean but it was barely long enough to be called a novel. Neverwhere and Stardust remain my favourite works of his but I really want to try American Gods.

Sounds good :). I might have to buy some more Gaiman novels at some point :P

I liked American Gods. Apart from the fact I enjoyed the story, seeing as he is British, I think Gaiman did a great job writing a book that is slap bang typical of that American Gothic genre.

I'm glad to read you liked it :).

I've been busy organising my new book shelves (so much fun! I might not keep things the way I will do them but it will do for now), once I'm done I'll be sure to post pictures of them. I'll also post pictures of the bakery.

I'm all done with the shelves, for now! I even got quite some space leftover. However, quite a lot of shelves, particularly the 'old'er ones, are double stacked. So I could make more use of the space I think. Something to ponder.. It occurs to me as I'm writing this if I move some sections around I'll have filled it up more nicely. But I'm tired now so that's going to wait until later.

EDIT: For those who don't read my "Athena's Story" thread, a lot of work is complete in the bakery! The main things left now are the gas cooker (should be in the shop tomorrow) / gas bottle, and the windows (my parents do this). Other than that we have some more boxes to sort out (just older stuff really), and we have to buy some things, mainly for cooking. We'll wait a bit and see what kind of things we need then buy them. I plan on making a little list of the things we need. We have bought some things for cooking, but for example we only have two forks and no bowls etc. Exciting times. I made some photos of everything with my phone but they're a bit blurry so I'll take my camera later and make some better quality photos.

Edited by Athena

Here's an overview of my book cases:

BookCasesRoom_0.8q.jpg

:exc:

The missing gaps are from my TBR books:

DSCN1695_0.125.jpg

EDIT: Hmm the first image was bigger but apparently the forum made it smaller. Feel free to ask if you want to see (a) bigger photo/photos.

EDIT2: My word, 6000+ posts! I am a chatterbox..

Edited by Athena

:o Athena! Such amazing bookshelves! I am so jealous. I would just love to come over and browse all your books. :D

Such nice deep shelves too, so much room left for extra books. :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

Thanks Devi :). You'd be more than welcome to :D.

I agree :giggle2:. I'm sure I'll buy some in the future. I'd love to buy some books now but I've spent a lot of money with this move, so I'm hoping to not buy any until the book fair in September. But we'll have to see..

That's true! But a month can be long when I want some books.. but I hope I can hold out (it'd be better for my wallet, at least). I do have a lot of unread books already.. I suppose I should be more strict in what I buy but I just like a lot of things, and I find it hard to resist a bargain. Books are very important to me.

(P.S. If anyone's interested and hasn't seen it yet, pictures of the bakery are up in my Member's Thread, link. I want to hang up some more pictures though, including some of Devi's prints and some photos of ourselves.)

That's true! But a month can be long when I want some books.. but I hope I can hold out (it'd be better for my wallet, at least). I do have a lot of unread books already.. I suppose I should be more strict in what I buy but I just like a lot of things, and I find it hard to resist a bargain. Books are very important to me.(P.S. If anyone's interested and hasn't seen it yet, pictures of the bakery are up in my Member's Thread, link. I want to hang up some more pictures though, including some of Devi's prints and some photos of ourselves.)

I can understand! Like you I pretty much read anything. Hopefully your new home will be keeping you busy for the next month. I didn't make it to the bookstore today, its just been so cold down here lately that I haven't wanted to go out at all, we even had snow 15mins from us. It tried to snow here too but it melted before it settled on the ground. :(

P.s. If you want more pictures let me know. :)

Edited by Devi

I can understand! Like you I pretty much read anything. Hopefully your new home will be keeping you busy for the next month. I didn't make it to the bookstore today, its just been so cold down here lately that I haven't wanted to go out at all, we even had snow 15mins from us. It tried to snow here too but it melted before it settled on the ground. :(

P.s. If you want more pictures let me know. :)

Awww :(. What are the weather predictions for the next while? It's kind of strange that it's winter there and summer here, and of course when it's winter here it's summer there. When it's very cold, all I want to do is stay inside covered in vests and blankets.

That's very sweet of you! I first have to see if I can find places for the ones you sent me last year, I hope so but we don't have a lot of wall space. I do already have the frames. It's very sweet of you to offer, I do love your photos :). I'm loving your book marks too.

Gorgeous bookshelves!! :exc: And your new home is absolutely beautiful. I hope you're very happy there. :wub:

Awww :(. What are the weather predictions for the next while? It's kind of strange that it's winter there and summer here, and of course when it's winter here it's summer there. When it's very cold, all I want to do is stay inside covered in vests and blankets.

I love snuggling up in blankets with the curtains closed and drinking hot chocolate. Wouldn't it be great to be able to hibernate for the whole winter, like a bear? :D

Oh my I love your shelves Athena!! I'm so jealous. I hope to have a room full of shelves like that when I get a house.  :lol: And enough books to fill the shelves, of course. 

Note: I had to remove some emoticons.

Wow ! Looove those shelves.

Thanks Sarah :D!

I like your chatterbox-ness

What she said.

Lovely bookshelves, Gaia. Love that they match! Very organized, well done!!

Thanks Anna and Kate :)!

Gorgeous bookshelves!! And your new home is absolutely beautiful. I hope you're very happy there.

I love snuggling up in blankets with the curtains closed and drinking hot chocolate. Wouldn't it be great to be able to hibernate for the whole winter, like a bear?

So far I am :)!

That sounds great! And a big stack of books..

Oh my I love your shelves Athena!! I'm so jealous. I hope to have a room full of shelves like that when I get a house.  And enough books to fill the shelves, of course. 

Thanks BSchultz :).

After setting it all up (for now), I'm going to try and relax and read some books. Review of Amy & Roger's Epic Detour coming up.

Morgan Matson - Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

9725419.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Age-range: Young-Adult

Format: Paperback (with photos and notes)

Pages: 344

Synopsis (GoodReads):Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way.

My thoughts: I started to read this book because I was going on a (little) road trip myself.

I really enjoyed this book. There was quite a bit of depth to it, with themes such as bereavement. It took me a while to read this book because of our move that was / is happening. The book reads easily and you want to keep on reading. The story contains some flashbacks now and then, about things that happened in the past with Amy. I really liked the characters, particularly Amy and Roger (the two main characters). The book has little notes, emails, photos, playlists and receipts printed in it, that helped telling the story. I quite enjoyed this.

The one thing I missed, for someone who doesn't live in the United States, was a map. I was never educated about the different states in the US so I don't know where some of them are. But I guess since the book is written by an American author, the people in the US would just know these things.

Otherwise I can't really fault the book. I really enjoyed reading it. There were certain bits in the story I liked more than others though. In particular there was one character I didn't really like who was in one chapter. So I didn't like that chapter that much but I loved the rest of it. I fled through the last part of the book, it's written in such a way that you want to keep on reading to find out what happens next. The book can be enjoyed by adults as well as young adults.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

But I guess since the book is written by an American author, the people in the US would just know these things.

That's no excuse though! 

Synopsis (GoodReads):Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way.

My thoughts: I started to read this book because I was going on a (little) road trip myself.

I really enjoyed this book. There was quite a bit of depth to it, with themes such as bereavement. It took me a while to read this book because of our move that was / is happening. The book reads easily and you want to keep on reading. The story contains some flashbacks now and then, about things that happened in the past with Amy. I really liked the characters, particularly Amy and Roger (the two main characters). The book has little notes, emails, photos, playlists and receipts printed in it, that helped telling the story. I quite enjoyed this.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

You so need to read something from Catherine Ryan Hyde (I'm her biggest fan.  Well, me and Muggle lol).

That's no excuse though!

That's true.

You so need to read something from Catherine Ryan Hyde (I'm her biggest fan.  Well, me and Muggle lol).

I have When I Found You and Don't Let Me Go on my TBR. Which of those two would you recommend? Which one you pick I'll put on my TBR-soon shelf :).

Edited by Athena

Don't Let Me Go, totally.  And no knowledge of the US is necessary.  :P

Allright :)! I'll be going to get it now (it's no garantuee I'll read it soon, but it'll be in my eye's view (along with the other books on my TBR-soon shelf)). But it might be my next contemporary read :). And that's good to know :P.

I just bought Douglas A. Puryear MD - Your Life Can Be Better: Using Strategies for Adult ADD/ADHD, it was on sale on the Kindle. For the low price of 2$ I couldn't resist and I liked the Kimple.

EDIT: I just got Don't Let Me Go from my room, the synopsis sounds very good! (that's why I bought it)

Edited by Athena

EDIT: I just got Don't Let Me Go from my room, the synopsis sounds very good! (that's why I bought it)

:exc:

Its so good, you'll want more :P  :readingtwo:

Edited by Anna Begins