Athena's Reading List 2014

Athena

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi athena well done being promoted a moderator!  

One thing about the ADD book you reviewed that I found unintentionally funny was when you said the medication chapter was not very long. It struck me that all the chapters might end up being short in a book by an ADD sufferer as they might lose interest in writing one half way through and want to get on to the next! :giggle2: . Sorry... :blush2:  

Edited by vodkafan

Hi athena well done being promoted a moderator!  

One thing about the ADD book you reviewed that I found unintentionally funny was when you said the medication chapter was not very long. It struck me that all the chapters might end up being short in a book by an ADD sufferer as they might lose interest in writing one half way through and want to get on to the next! :giggle2: . Sorry... :blush2:

Thanks James :). You don't have to be sorry, that's exactly why the chapters are all short, I think :)! I have trouble paying attention to movies and tv shows but I have no trouble with books that interest me (I would have trouble with books that don't interest me). 

Allow me to ditto all the congratulations above!  :D  I noticed last week also, posted about it somewhere else, but wanted to add it here. :friends3:

Thanks Kate :friends3:.

I went to the library sale a while ago but because of the move I haven't sorted out my books yet (to be honest, I don't remember exactly some of the books I got either :giggle2:). All of them are in Dutch and, if I'm not mistaken, most by Dutch authors, so I don't think most of you will know them. I did find one book from De Grijpsta & De Gier series which I talked about on here with Pixie and Pontalba I believe (so naturally I had to buy it).

I went to the library sale a while ago but because of the move I haven't sorted out my books yet (to be honest, I don't remember exactly some of the books I got either :giggle2:). All of them are in Dutch and, if I'm not mistaken, most by Dutch authors, so I don't think most of you will know them. I did find one book from De Grijpsta & De Gier series which I talked about on here with Pixie and Pontalba I believe (so naturally I had to buy it).

Ooh, good stuff ; can you recall which book in that series it is ? I`m still waiting for mine ( the first one ) to arrive.

I meant to ask you, is there a favourite you have from these Baantjer books ?  Then I can add it to my wish list or TBR. :smile:

Natch!  Logical thinking! :D I like it. :readingtwo:  :giggle2:

Ooh, good stuff ; can you recall which book in that series it is ? I`m still waiting for mine ( the first one ) to arrive.

I meant to ask you, is there a favourite you have from these Baantjer books ?  Then I can add it to my wish list or TBR. :smile:

I don't remember which one it is, I'm afraid. It's in a big bag with all of the library sale books so I'd have to take them all out to find it and I'd rather not do that yet while I'm already busy cleaning up other stuff related to moving. I will post a list eventually though, once the moving things have tied down a bit :). I'm also thinking that leaving the bag and my last haul from Amazon, in boxes, will make it more exciting to open and maybe make me less likely to buy even more books. I've bought a lot recently so I want to try and not buy much in the next while.

Of those I've read DeKok and the Sorrowing Tomcat (or De Cock en de Treurende Kater as the original Dutch title is) and the first of the two books included in Murder in Amsterdam (I haven't read the second book included in it). I'd recommend either of those two books as I really liked them. 

Natch!  Logical thinking! :D I like it. :readingtwo:  :giggle2:

. I'm also thinking that leaving the bag and my last haul from Amazon, in boxes, will make it more exciting to open and maybe make me less likely to buy even more books.

Or - in my case - that`s how I ended up with double copies of some books. :giggle2:

I have some of my TBR in a spare room, and it`s always a nice surprise to come across them and think ` Oh, I have that still to read ! `, so I can understand having a secret box of books.  :D

Of those I've read DeKok and the Sorrowing Tomcat (or De Cock en de Treurende Kater as the original Dutch title is) and the first of the two books included in Murder in Amsterdam (I haven't read the second book included in it). I'd recommend either of those two books as I really liked them. 

Thanks, I shall have a look at those. Erm, nothing nasty happened to the cat, did it ? :hide: 

Here's a list of books I bought recently:

Ebook comics (Humble Dynamite 10th Anniversary Bundle):

Chaos! #1

Cryptozoic Man 1

Cryptozoic Man 2

Cryptozoic Man 3

Cryptozoic Man 4

Dresden Files: War Cry #1

George R. R. Martin's Wild Cards

Green Hornet, Vol. 1

Green Hornet, Vol. 2

Jungle Girl Omnibus

Legenderry 1

Legenderry 2

Legenderry 3

Miss Fury, Vol. 1

My Little Phony

Pathfinder, Vol. 1

Project Superpowers, Vol. 1

Red Sonja: Queen of Plagues, Vol. 1

The Dynamite Art of Alex Ross

The Hollows: A Hollowland

The Mocking Dead

The Shadow Midnight in Moscow #1

The Trial of Sherlock Holmes

Vampirella Masters, Vol. 1

Vampirella Masters, Vol. 2

Vampirella Masters, Vol. 4

Vampirella vs. Fluffy

Wheel of Time 01

Wheel of Time 01.5

Wheel of Time 02

Wheel of Time 03

Wheel of Time 04

Wheel of Time 05

Wheel of Time 06

Wheel of Time 07

Wheel of Time 08

Wheel of Time 09

Wheel of Time 10

Wheel of Time 11

Wheel of Time 12

Wheel of Time 13

Wheel of Time 14

Wheel of Time 15

Wheel of Time 16

Wheel of Time 17

Wheel of Time 18

Wheel of Time 19

Wheel of Time 20

Wheel of Time 21

Wheel of Time 22

Wheel of Time 23

Wheel of Time 24

Wheel of Time 25

Wheel of Time 26

Wheel of Time 27

Wheel of Time 28

Wheel of Time 29

Wheel of Time 30

Wheel of Time 31

Wheel of Time 32

Wheel of Time 33

Wheel of Time 34

Wheel of Time 35

Paper books:

Based upon recommendation by my psychiatrist:

J. J. Sandra Kooij - ADHD bij Volwassenen

Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey - Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most of out Life with Attention Deficit Disorder

Jeffrey Archer - Four Warned

Emily Barr - Blackout

Harriet Evans - Rules for Dating a Romantic Hero

Barbara Taylor Bradford - Hidden

Jonas Jonasson - The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window

Jonas Jonasson - The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden

John Boyne - The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Linda Lay Shuler - She Who Remembers 1: She Who Remembers

Jenny Colgan - Little Beach Street Bakery

Sinéad Moriarty - This Child of Mine

George Orwell - 1984

Colleen McCullough - Masters of Rome 1: The First Man in Rome

Joe Abercombie - The First Law 1: The Blade Itself

Joe Abercombie - The First Law 2: Before They Are Hanged

Joe Abercombie - The First Law 3: The Argument of Kings

Raymond E. Feist - The Demonwar Saga 2: At the Gates of Darkness

Michael Cobley - Humanity's Fire 3: The Ascendant Stars

Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse 12: Deadlocked

Cassandra Clare - The Infernal Devices 1: Clockwork Angel

Cassandra Clare - The Infernal Devices 1: Clockwork Prince

Cassandra Clare - The Infernal Devices 1: Clockwork Princess

Ransom Riggs - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 1: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

A. S. King - The Dust of 100 Dogs

A. S. King - Ask the Passengers

A. S. King - Everybody Sees the Ants

John Green - An Abundance of Katherines

John Green - Looking for Alaska

John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle - Let It Snow

Morgan Matson - Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

Jesse Andrews - Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Ned Vizzini - It's Kind of a Funny Story

R. J. Palachio - Wonder

Rainbow Rowell - Fangirl

Rainbow Rowell - Attachments

Rainbow Rowell - Eleanor & Park

Benjamin Alire Sáenz - Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

Rachel Cohn and David Leviathan - Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Stephanie Perkins - Anna and the French Kiss 1: Anna and the French Kiss

Stephanie Perkins - Anna and the French Kiss 2: Lola and the Boy Next Door

Sarah Dessen - Just Listen

Sarah Dessen - The Truth About Forever

Sarah Dessen - This Lullaby

Patrick Rothfuss - The Kingkiller Chronicle 1: The Name of the Wind

Patrick Rothfuss - The Kingkiller Chronicle 2: The Wise Man's Fear

Sarah J. Maas - Throne of Glass 1: Throne of Glass

Sarah J. Maas - Throne of Glass 2: Crown of Midnight

Sarah J. Maas - Throne of Glass 0: The Assassin's Blade

Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson and the Olympians 1: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief

Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson and the Olympians 2: Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters

Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson and the Olympians 3: Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse

Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson and the Olympians 4: Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth

Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson and the Olympians 5: Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian

Rick Riordan - Heroes of Olympus 1: The Lost Hero

Rick Riordan - Heroes of Olympus 2: The Son of Neptune

Rick Riordan - Heroes of Olympus 3: Mark of Athena

Rick Riordan - The Kane Chronicles 1: The Red Pyramid

Rick Riordan - The Kane Chronicles 2: Throne of Fire

Rick Riordan - The Kane Chronicles 3: The Serpent's Shadow

Alison Goodman - Eon 1: Eon: Rise of the Dragoneye

Beth Revis - Across the Universe 2: A Million Suns

Beth Revis - Across the Universe 3: Shades of Earth

Marjorie Blackman - Noughts and Crosses 1: Noughts and Crosses

Marjorie Blackman - Noughts and Crosses 2: Knife Edge

Marjorie Blackman - Noughts and Crosses 3: Checkmate

Marjorie Blackman - Noughts and Crosses 4: Double Cross

Patrick Ness - Chaos Walking 1: The Knife of Never Letting Go

Patrick Ness - Chaos Walking 2: The Ask and the Answer

Patrick Ness - Chaos Walking 3: Monsters of Men

Patrick Ness - A Monster Calls

Patrick Ness - More Than This

Marie Lu - Legend 1: Legend

Marie Lu - Legend 2: Prodigy

Marie Lu - Legend 3: Champion

Michael Grant - Gone 2: Hunger

Michael Grant - Gone 3: Lies

Michael Grant - Gone 4: Plague

Michael Grant - Gone 5: Fear

Michael Grant - Gone 6: Light

Marissa Meyer - The Lunar Chronicles 1: Cinder

Marissa Meyer - The Lunar Chronicles 2: Scarlet

Marissa Meyer - The Lunar Chronicles 3: Cress

Alexandra Bracken - The Darkest Minds 1: The Darkest Minds

Scott Westerfeld - Uglies 1: Uglies

Scott Westerfeld - Uglies 2: Pretties

Scott Westerfeld - Uglies 3: Specials

Scott Westerfeld - Uglies 4: Extras

Scott Westerfeld - Leviathan 1: Leviathan

Scott Westerfeld - Leviathan 2: Behemoth

Rich Yancey - The 5th Wave 1: The 5th Wave

Victoria Schwab - The Archived

James Dashner - The Maze Runner 1: The Maze Runner

James Dashner - The Maze Runner x: Kill Order

James Dashner - The Maze Runner x: The Death Cure

James Dashner - The Maze Runner x: The Scorch Trials

Tahereh Mafi - Shatter Me 1: Shatter Me

Tahereh Mafi - Shatter Me 2: Unravel Me

Tahereh Mafi - Shatter Me 3: Ignite Me

Tahereh Mafi - Shatter Me 4: Unite Me

Lauren Oliver - Delirium 1: Delirium

Lauren Oliver - Delirium 2: Pandemonium

Lauren Oliver - Delirium 3: Requiem

Kiera Cass - The Selection 1: The Selection

Kiera Cass - The Selection 2: The Elite

Kiera Cass - The Selection 3: The One

Kiera Cass - The Selection 4: The Selection Stories: The Prince and the Guard

Yelena Black - Dance of Shadows 1: Dance of Shadows

Charity Shop:

Robin Cook - Fataal

Library sale:

Anke de Graaf - Plannen voor de Toekomst

Loes den Hollander - Vrijdag

Wilma Hollander - Zomerdroom

Dirk Nielandt - De Beginneling

Marjan van den Berg - Sanne 6: Gewoon Sanne

Anita Verkerk - Myrthe

David de Poel - De Buitenstaander

Anne-Laure Bondoux - Zo Gaan Die Dingen

Edwin de Vries - Hélena

Elmer Schönberger - Vuursteens Vleugels

John Brosens - Jacht op de Jager

Annelies Verbeke - Slaap!

Janwillem van de Wetering - Grijpstra & De Gier x: De Aangekondigde Dood

Lilian Jackson Braun - Cat Who... 3: De Kat die In- en Uitschakelde

Silvana Simons - 1 + 1 = 7

Els Ruiters - Balletschoenen en Boxershorts

Hugh Galt - Fietsenjacht

Erna Sassen - Dit is geen Dagboek

Tineke Hendriks - Aangespoeld

Ellen Tijsinger - Verfspatten

Gary Paulson - Overleven in de Wildernis 1: Neergestort (Hatchet)

Dr. Phil McGraw - Voel je Goed in je Lijf Kookboek

Charlotte de Backer - Superstars: Leven en Overleven als een Celeb

Bert Jansen and Pim Wiersinga - Het Prozaboek

Mark Benecke - Moordmethoden

Midas Dekkers - De Larf: Over Kinderen en Metamorphose

Hans Galjaard - Gezondheid Kent Geen Grenzen

Pictures of books will follow after I've got my new+old book cases all set up.

Edited by Athena

Wow! What an amazing list of books Athena! I have most on my tbr pile or wish list. Very impressive.

No, don't worry :). The cat plays a small role in the story.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest. :blush2:

Great book haul !  I`m interested in those Rick Riordan books - I saw the first film.  :D

Edited by Little Pixie

Thanks for putting my mind at rest. :blush2:

Great book haul !  I`m interested in those Rick Riordan books - I saw the first film.  :D

From the smiley I take it you liked it :)

WOW, that's one serious haul!!! Hope you enjoy the Rothfuss (the first Kingkiller book is one of the best books I've ever read), and I look forward to hearing what you think of Abercrombie. :)

:readingtwo:

I always get John Green's Looking For Alaska and Lauren Oliver's Delirium as recommended for me, so if you get to them before me, let us know how they both are.  I also see 1984 on there- you haven't read that already?  And you simply MUST get to The 100 Year Old Man... It was my favorite book of the year before I read Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

That is a lot of books!  Are those the ones for your old bedroom?  How on Earth did you get all those home?

I really liked the storyline, and the special-effects ; I wasn`t too sure about some of the acting. :smile:

Ah thanks :).

:readingtwo:

I always get John Green's Looking For Alaska and Lauren Oliver's Delirium as recommended for me, so if you get to them before me, let us know how they both are.  I also see 1984 on there- you haven't read that already?  And you simply MUST get to The 100 Year Old Man... It was my favorite book of the year before I read Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

That is a lot of books!  Are those the ones for your old bedroom?  How on Earth did you get all those home?

I'll be sure to let you know! I haven't read 1984.. shame on me. I look forward to read The 100 Year Old Man, I've heard great things about the book.

All the books other than a couple are in my old bedroom at the moment, the newer additions are in boxes as are my childhood books. I will be buying some more book cases and then rearranging it all (again.. but it's so much fun heh).

Most of the books in the list I ordered online. The library books were in one big bag and my dad picked us up so we didn't have to walk that far. I wouldn't have been able to carry it on my own but my lovely boyfriend helped me :smile2: (he picked two books for himself).

He's not as big a reader as I am :P. The books he owns are mainly World War II military equipment books (planes, tanks) and manga. He found two books that are about World War II if I'm not mistaken. The other 27 books and the magazines were for me :lol:. To be honest, I'm kind of glad he isn't as big a reader. He plays more video games and watches more films and TV series than I do. This way we tell each other about the stories we read/watch/play and we can enjoy each other's stories. It's also less pressure for me, if I was with an even bigger reader I might feel like I'd have to read more to keep up (but I can't really imagine what that'd be like, a more eager reader than me?..). I do like it when he does read, particularly if it's a book I'm interested in or have read. I love him :wub:.

How does it work for you, Anna? What about your partner or if you don't have one, would you prefer your partner to be a big reader?

This way we tell each other about the stories we read/watch/play and we can enjoy each other's stories. It's also less pressure for me, if I was with an even bigger reader I might feel like I'd have to read more to keep up (but I can't really imagine what that'd be like, a more eager reader than me?..). I do like it when he does read, particularly if it's a book I'm interested in or have read. I love him :wub:.

How does it work for you, Anna? What about your partner or if you don't have one, would you prefer your partner to be a big reader?

Gosh- that's awesome!  And a great partnership, it sounds like you are well matched!

I would love to have a partner that read.  Even my friends, don't really read.  One has a toddler, one is a doctor and one has MS.  So that's why I love this site so much- I don't have anyone to talk to about books and what I read!  My mom just doesn't have time.  My dad and I discuss books a lot- he reads like you do! I really wish I had the patience and not be so manic, as to read to my 5 year old more.

Would he like a true story of a WW2 airman?  I SO recommended Unbroken by Laura Hildenbrand, he might have even read it already!

What gaming system does he use or just the computer?  I am wondering because I might by a Nintendo :hide: I love all the old (and new) Mario games (but I'm sure he doesn't play those lol Do you remember them or were they around in Netherlands?)

Edited by Anna Begins

Gosh- that's awesome!  And a great partnership, it sounds like you are well matched!

I would love to have a partner that read.  Even my friends, don't really read.  One has a toddler, one is a doctor and one has MS.  So that's why I love this site so much- I don't have anyone to talk to about books and what I read!  My mom just doesn't have time.  My dad and I discuss books a lot- he reads like you do! I really wish I had the patience and not be so manic, as to read to my 5 year old more.

Would he like a true story of a WW2 airman?  I SO recommended Unbroken by Laura Hildenbrand, he might have even read it already!

What gaming system does he use or just the computer?  I am wondering because I might by a Nintendo :hide: I love all the old (and new) Mario games (but I'm sure he doesn't play those lol Do you remember them or were they around in Netherlands?)

Thanks :). It's nice you can talk to your dad about books. I don't know if my boyfriend would like the book, he might. I could ask him. I don't think he's read that, at least, I haven't seen it on his shelves (but then again, I don't remember everything that's on his shelves, particularly since I haven't seen them much in the past while). He uses mainly consoles, he plays a lot on the PlayStation 3. He also plays a bit on the WiiU. I think he'll get out some of his older systems when he moves in. He owns many, many consoles :D, he really has a whole nice collection. He does play a few games on the computer too. He owns various Nintendo consoles (as well as from other companies), the WiiU, the Wii, the GameCube, the N64, the SNES, the NES. He does like Mario games! He really likes them. He also likes Zelda a lot and many other games (he has a lot of games, too). The Mario games were around in the Netherlands too (my boyfriend is from the UK), I never got to play most of the old ones because we didn't have a Nintendo system for it (and my parents considered it too expensive and too unnecessary to buy one), but I did play some on my aunt's GameBoy and I loved that. Which Nintendo system are you thinking of buying, and which game(s)?

(I'll be posting a review soon).

Edited by Athena

Penny Vincenzi - The Dilemma

871600.jpg

Genre: Chick-lit

Age-range: Adult

Format: Paperback

Pages: 816

Synopsis (Amazon.co.uk):All Francesca Channing had to do in order to keep her marriage alive, her children safe, her life intact, was to tell a lie. One simple, straightforward lie. But it wasn't that simple or straightforward at all. Her life, as Bard Channing's third wife, was very far from easy. He was charismatic, powerful and rich - and he adored her. He was also manipulative and scheming, with a family as large and complex as his business. But it was an emotional crisis of her own which finally put Francesca's dilemma into perspective, and made her wonder if she loved Bard enough to lie for him...

My thoughts: It had been a while since I read a book by Penny Vincenzi and I felt like reading one.

I had a lot of trouble getting into this book. I struggled for the first 300ish or such pages with my mojo. I don't think this is solely the fault of the book, but it does affect my rating as I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the author's other books. One of my main problems with it was that it was a bit similar to some of her other books. Once you've read a couple (that I enjoyed more than this one), as I have, you can kind of see certain things coming in this book. I could predict a lot of the plot twists, or knew at least they had to be coming at some point. This doesn't mean the book wasn't enjoyable, it was, but some of the tension wasn't there as much.

It took me some time to connect to the characters. Particularly I didn't like Bard. I liked him better later on in the book but in the first half I really struggled to like him. He was so arrogant and not communicative at all. He kept shutting out people and I didn't like him at all in the beginning I'm afraid. I did like a lot of the other characters, though not all of them. Some characters behaved a bit in a stupid way, in my opinion, you could see it's going to go wrong. This might've been the case in some of her other books too, sure, but they were more new to me and it didn't bother me as much. I did like the main character a lot though I wish she'd been a bit more assertive in certain situations.

One other thing that bothered me was that I didn't quite get some of the business kind of things. I felt it wasn't properly explained. I also skimmed some of the sex scenes, they weren't long but I wasn't interested.

A last complaint I have was that what was told on the back of the book, and what the title of the book refers to, doesn't happen until ~500 pages in (out of 816). I kept wondering when it'd pop up or whether I missed it. I'm not sure what else they could've put on the back of the book since the events in the book do lead up to it, but I felt it took a bit too long.

All this then makes it seem I didn't enjoy the book. And I wasn't enjoying the first third much (due to points described above). But then I got more into it and my mojo seemed to come back a bit, and I quite enjoyed reading particularly the second half of the book. Suddenly I cared more for the characters and for the story. It could be, because I've been and am busy with moving, my head was quite busy with that too and so I couldn't concentrate on the book as much. I don't know.

Overall then I liked the book but it's not the Penny Vincenzi book I'd recommend if you haven't read one before. I liked some of her other books better. I still have her trilogy to read, considered the best by some, but I'm saving it as it's a series. I've got two other books by her to read as well.

Rating: **** (7/10)