Bobblybear's Book List - 2014

bobblybear

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I remember rightly, we tend to have very differing views on a lot of books anyway (The Crimson Petal and the White, and World War Z....there was another one, but I can't recall it at the moment). :D

Yes, Barracuda is his other book. It has also received mixed reviews, but not as many negative ones as The Slap. I wouldn't mind reading it just to see what the characters are like and if they are as vile as the ones from The Slap.

It's true, it's all true!! :cool:

The Earth Hums in B Flat - Mari Strachan

Set in a small town in Wales in the 1950’s, Gwennie is a 12 year old girl, who has a somewhat strained home life with her parents and sister. Gwennie is convinced she can fly in her sleep, and the book occasionally provides evidence that she can (or that she at least has visions in her sleep). When a local man – the father of two children she babysits – goes missing, she sets out to find where he is and what happened to him. This ends up unraveling secrets relating to her own family, which will change her life and her view on the world.

The first half of the book is quite slow as it’s mostly the introduction of the characters and a look into their lives. I did find myself wondering if there was actually a plot that ran through the whole book, or if it was just about Gwennie’s life. However once things start happening, they really start happening, and a tremendous amount is packed in to the second half of the book. After the turning point - just over half way through the book - it really did become difficult to put down. Fortunately the book is a manageable 350-odd pages, so there isn't a huge amount of exposition before the story kicks in.

Gwennie is a likeable character, and as events unfold you realise how much she has to deal with at such a young age. There are some painful moments from Gwennie’s childhood, such as being rejected by her best friend, and the rumours surrounding her mother, but all through it she still remains a plucky and enthusiastic character.

Well worth a read. :smile:

4/6

Good review, this does sound interesting, perhaps her character is a bit like Flavia of the Flavia de Luce books?

Also meant to say that even disagreeing with your review of The Slap, it was an excellent review!  :cool:

Thanks, Pontalba. :smile:

Pet Semetary - Stephen King

The story of this one is probably familiar to most people, as it’s one of Stephen King's better known stories.

Louis Creed and his family move to a small town in a rural part of Maine, where Louis is appointed as the doctor based at the local university. Their new town is very peaceful, aside from a busy main road at the front of their house which is frequented by lorries passing through. The family are befriended by Jud Crandall, an elderly man across the road who warns the Creed family about the dangers of the road. Shortly after, Jud shows the Creeds around their plot of land, and takes them to an old pet cemetery (misspelled as Semetary on the sign) behind their house. It’s probably somewhat obvious as to what happens next.....so I'll leave the plot summary there. :hide:

This is a very creepy book and I read it with a sense of dread. It was a re-read, so I knew what was going to happen, which is probably why I felt uneasy as I was reading it. It’s very disturbing, and the kind of book you don’t really want to read yet you can’t put down. :blink:

In his introduction, Stephen King refers to this one as the most frightening book he’s written, and it’s easy to see why. When he wrote it he thought he’d gone too far and only reluctantly sent it to his publisher at the urging of his wife (or so the story goes). He also took a few pieces from his own life and his own experiences (or rather his daughters') and put them into the story, which he mentions in the intro.

I’d recommend it, but with caution, as it is disturbing and you really don’t want to read it when you are on a downer.

4.5/6

I have this book on my TBR (in Dutch), great review :)! I don't know much about the story so it's good to keep it that way until I read it, but I'll have to be careful with the 'disturbiness', so thanks for telling me about that.

Hi Bobbly - i read Pet Semetary when i was younger & really enjoyed it also went to see the movie adaptation but didn't think much of it  :smile:

Ditto!  It was the first King I read :smile:

Great review bb, interesting about what King thought/thinks of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Life After Life - Kate Atkinson

In a snowstorm in 1910, Ursula Todd dies at birth before she is able to take her first breath. The story then tracks back to her birth, and this time she lives, only to lose her life again a short while later. Then, again, she is born and due to small changes from her previous life, she lives a bit longer. Each seemingly insignificant event that occurs changes the path of Ursula’s life.

I found the concept interesting, and the book was well written, but there was something in the story that didn’t hold my interest, especially towards the end. It wasn’t necessarily down to the repetitiveness of it; I think it was partially the length of the book (545 pages, but to me it felt like it was about 1,000 pages) and the focus of the second half being solely on WWII. The parts of the book I enjoyed most were the differing paths that Ursula's life took, and that we - the reader - could see what minor event had led to such a large change in her future. I felt this part wasn't the focus of the second half, which made me struggle to keep my mind on the book when I was reading it!

This book garnered a lot of hype and a few rewards, so I was very disappointed that I didn’t enjoy it was much as most. I’m in a minority though, and most people have rated it very highly but it just didn’t grab me.

2/6

• 4 weeks later...

Extinction Point - Paul Anthony Jones

A mysterious red rain falls, which appears to kill everyone in New York, except for Emily Baxter, a young reporter. While exploring the remains of the city over the following week, she sees odd growths – sort of like trees – and then strange violent creatures. Conveniently, the internet and mobile phone networks are still up and running, so she puts out a plea for anyone to contact her (on Facebook and Twitter). Shortly after, she receives a phone call from a group of researchers who are based in Canada, in a small area where they haven’t been affected by this red rain. They convince her to make her way up there, and after a little while she sets out on her bicycle and a few supplies. The book ends there which was a bit disappointing, but I guess it just makes way for more sequels.

It was a pretty average read. Readable but not mind-blowing, and I may pick up the sequels but only when I run out of books to read (what do you think the odds are of that happening? :D ). It perked up a bit towards the end when I realised that Emily was getting a canine companion, but that was about the only thing that excited me about it. Too much time was spent by Emily just wandering around seemingly meaninglessly without actually doing much, when I just wanted her to get on with it a bit quicker.  :blush2:

Anyway, like I say, it was an ok read but there are better ones out there.

2.5/6

The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

Don Tillman is a 30-something genetics professor, with undiagnosed Asperger’s Syndrome. He comes to the conclusion that it is time that he got married, and so he sets out a project to find himself a wife. He creates a formal questionnaire, to filter out those who are not suitable - and with sort of help from his only two friends, begins the search to find his ideal partner. But then he meets Rosie, who is impulsive and pretty much the opposite of what he is looking for. She is also on a quest - to find her father - and their friendship builds as they try to help each other out.

I really enjoyed this. It's a funny and light-hearted read, and I loved Don's personality, and especially the observations that he makes about what a lot of people classify as normal behaviour. It’s a bit predictable and you can probably spot the ending a mile off, but that doesn’t detract from the enjoyment of it.

Highly recommended.

5/6

Missing Gretyl: Only Fools and Trollops - Si Page, Mark Stibbe, Tony Trimmer

This book was appalling. I didn't finish it. I can't remember how far I got through it, but it wasn't far. It is quite highly rated on Amazon, and I first heard of it via The Guardian book blog, where loads of people were talking about how brilliant and funny it was. Well, I didn't laugh once. :7_mad:  The characters were vile, and nasty....real dregs of society, and the authors were obviously trying very hard to make them funny. Avoid. :blink:

Then again, maybe it's me. On Amazon it has 58 5-star reviews and 2 1-star reviews. Go figure. :dunno:

0/6

Then again, maybe it's me. On Amazon it has 58 5-star reviews and 2 1-star reviews. Go figure. :dunno:

0/6

I often find that with so-called 'humorous' books. There's a whole clutch of people who find it very funny and they're the ones who write the reviews, whilst those who don't like that sort of book, either don't read it, or don't write anything. I've found loads of 'funny' books with masses of five star reviews to be, in fact, pretty awful reads.

One tip (which you probably do already!) - don't just look at the ratings, but also look at what else the reviewers actually review. It can be rather revealing as to whether they have similar tastes in reading. Having had a quick glance at the first half dozen, I think that rule applies here too.

Edited by willoyd

I really must read the Rosie Project - not seen a single negative review!

Lol at giving a 0/6! I don't often find books particularly funny - although given I also hate (most) standup comedy I think it's mainly a loathing for "forced" humour! Will definitely be giving that one a miss.

I think yours might be the first ever '0' score I've seen.  I haven't heard of the book but it definitely won't be going in my Wish List now!  :giggle2: Thanks. :)

I thought about giving it a 1/6, but I really hated it. :D

I often find that with so-called 'humorous' books. There's a whole clutch of people who find it very funny and they're the ones who write the reviews, whilst those who don't like that sort of book, either don't read it, or don't write anything. I've found loads of 'funny' books with masses of five star reviews to be, in fact, pretty awful reads.

One tip (which you probably do already!) - don't just look at the ratings, but also look at what else the reviewers actually review. It can be rather revealing as to whether they have similar tastes in reading. Having had a quick glance at the first half dozen, I think that rule applies here too.

I tend to skim through comments on Amazon, because I don't want to risk reading any spoilers, but this one had so many positive remarks with someone actually saying it's one of the best books they've ever read! :thud:

I think I need to avoid books that are marketed as 'laugh out loud' funny, because often they're not. I mean The Rosie Project is marketed quite strongly as being funny, but it also has a unique character and story, and some meaning to it.

So glad you liked Rosie! :D.

As for the other one......feh! Agreed, so called humorous books usually are not.

Yeah, The Rosie Project was great! :smile:

I'm really glad you liked The Rosie Project! It's a shame you didn't like the other book, oh well. I hope your next reads will be better :).

Thanks, Athena. I had some good reads after that one, so it's all good. :boogie:

I really must read the Rosie Project - not seen a single negative review!

Lol at giving a 0/6! I don't often find books particularly funny - although given I also hate (most) standup comedy I think it's mainly a loathing for "forced" humour! Will definitely be giving that one a miss.

I think the funniest books are one where it's unintentional....not forced joke after forced joke. You should read The Rosie Project....it's a great book. :smile:

Flowertown - S G Redling

In a mid-sized town in Iowa, a local chemical company had a pesticide leak, which contaminated the local water supply and the town's residents. The government’s only solution was to quarantine the town, and create a self sustaining population, aided by a government-run medical centre that regularly tests the townspeople for the effects of the pesticide. The drugs to treat them give them a sickly sweet smell, hence the town’s nickname – Flowertown.

This story takes place about seven years after the chemical spill. Ellie is one of the ones trapped in Flowertown. She is getting by as best as she can, with a reasonably steady job, and a steady supply of drugs - which is about the only thing she has to look forward to. Then there is a series of bombings in the town, and Ellie (stirred by her conspiracy-theorist best friend) starts to wonder if Feno Chemicals (the company responsible for the spill) is behind it all. She starts to dig into their background, which brings her to the attention of the government officials who now run the town.

I enjoyed it. It’s pretty easy to read and fast paced. It's not the most memorable of books, but it passed the time. Ellie is a likeable enough character, though I could do without the constant descriptions of how smelly and dirty her and her friends were. Yuck!  :blink:  The whole premise is unbelievable, but that doesn't take away from the enjoyment.

3/6