Bobblybear's Book List - 2014

bobblybear

I too adored the Secret Life of Bees but I have The Help on my pile so I can't compare I'm afraid :lol:

Enjoy reading your way through 2014!

Thanks, Alexi. :smile:  So many positive comments about The Secret Life of Bees, I may need to make it my next read. Actually my second to next read (I want to read Inferno over the XMas break). :boogie:

I haven't read London and Sarum, but I have read New York by Edward Rutherfurd and really liked it.  I do plan to read the rest of his books when I can find them in the library.  They are big books, but easy to read.

I'm glad you say his books are pretty easy to read; one of the things that put me off reading them was that I thought they would be quite complex and difficult. Not sure why I thought that, though... :wacko:

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some brilliant books in your TBR lists, bobbly - have a brilliant 2014!  :D

I read Dune and all the various sequels as a teenager - though devoured is probably a better word than read - those books really stay with you. :smile:

I love the first one - it's one of my all-time faves  :D

Those Kindle books pile up really quickly, don't they?!  It's so easy to forget how many you've got as your Kindle doesn't get bigger and you're not filling up shelf space. :D  Hope you have a great year of reading, bobblybear! :smile2:

I know - it's scary! :D It's just so easy to buy them without actually feeling like you are spending any money either. :blush2:

I hope you have a great 2014, with loads of reading, too. :D

Some brilliant books in your TBR lists, bobbly - have a brilliant 2014!  :D

Thanks, Karsa.....I just wish I would stop adding to it so much!! Hope you have a great 2014, too! :D

Jeez, thanks!  This is the first year I've counted up my TBR pile and I have to say I'm a bit shocked.  At my current rate it will take over 4 years to clear it down.

Is this really the first year you've counted all the books up? Oh dear... :o It may have come as a shock, yes. But I think you're still fairly well off, and if you didn't buy any more books next year and only concent... oh who am I trying to kid? We all buy new books :blush::giggle::empathy:  Hang in there, buddy!!

Few comments on your TBR:

The Beach - Alex Garland

I almost gave my copy of this away, when I'd picked it up twice and didn't like it... But the third time was the charm! :D What a great, harrowing book. I hope you like it.

Edit: I was just in Alexi's thread and I thought I saw you there comment on how The Beach is a great book. But how come it's on your TBR pile? =D I can't be as daft as to just have come up with the title out of thin air.. Can I? *blush*

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

This is such a darling book!! :wub:

Dracula: A Mystery Story - Bram Stoker

This is one of my favorite classics. I thought it would be difficult to read so I was rather hesitant to pick it up, but it was gooood :readingtwo:

And:

"If The Secret Life of Bees is better than The Help then I may make it one of my next reads."

Personally I wouldn't say TSLoB is better than TH. I loved them both, and I couldn't say which one was better. I think if you like TH you will also like TSLoB :)

Do Polar Bears Get Lonely? - New Scientist

I hope you read this book very soon and then tell us that they don't get lonely. Because if you don't, you'll leave us all just wondering... :(

Happy reading in 2014, bobbly :D

Edited by frankie

I think the size of London and Sarum have made me postpone reading them....I kind of feel like I need to work up to it. :doh: I've never read any of Edward Rutherfurd's books, though I've always been interested in them. I guess I'll find out sooner or later whether I like them or not. :giggle:

BB wrote:

Believe me, they fly by!  I know they look imposing, but when you start, they are just pussycats. :D  :cat:

Happy reading!!

Edited by pontalba

Had to delete some emoticons...

Is this really the first year you've counted all the books up? Oh dear... :o It may have come as a shock, yes. But I think you're still fairly well off, and if you didn't buy any more books next year and only concent... oh who am I trying to kid? We all buy new books

Yeah, believe it or not I've never actually counted them before. I think I've just been burying my head in the sand, but I will be really curious to see how big the pile is by the end of the year. I hope it reduces, but one never knows (being addicted to buying books, and all that!). :giggle:

The Beach - Alex Garland
I almost gave my copy of this away, when I'd picked it up twice and didn't like it... But the third time was the charm! :D What a great, harrowing book. I hope you like it.
Edit: I was just in Alexi's thread and I thought I saw you there comment on how The Beach is a great book. But how come it's on your TBR pile? =D I can't be as daft as to just have come up with the title out of thin air.. Can I? *blush*

Hmm, maybe it shouldn't be on my TBR pile given that I've read it twice before! I bought it on Kindle because I don't know where my paper copy is, and I just automatically added it to my TBR pile as it was a 'recent' purchase. I have a few others on there that I've already read (Stephen King ones)...but basically if I've bought a Kindle version even though I've read it before, it means I'd like to read it again at some point. (Although it would be a great way of reducing my TBR pile!  :giggle2:  )

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
This is such a darling book!!

I hope to get to this one fairly soon. I've heard so many things about it, and many people say it's a 'must read'.

Dracula: A Mystery Story - Bram Stoker
This is one of my favorite classics. I thought it would be difficult to read so I was rather hesitant to pick it up, but it was gooood

I think I bought this one because it was free. I will get to it eventually, but I need to psych myself up to read classics. :hide:

"If The Secret Life of Bees is better than The Help then I may make it one of my next reads."

Personally I wouldn't say TSLoB is better than TH. I loved them both, and I couldn't say which one was better. I think if you like TH you will also like TSLoB

I'm actually reading this now (about a third through) and I'm really enjoying it. I'd say so far it's as good as The Help.

Do Polar Bears Get Lonely? - New Scientist
I hope you read this book very soon and then tell us that they don't get lonely. Because if you don't, you'll leave us all just wondering...

I will be sure to let you know, but I suspect they don't get too lonely when they have sled dogs to play with.

Happy reading in 2014, bobbly

You too, Frankie! :flowers2:

Believe me, they fly by!  I know they look imposing, but when you start, they are just pussycats. :D  :cat:

Happy reading!!

Good to hear. Maybe I will get to them sooner rather than later. They are probably the kind of book that I kick myself for not reading sooner. :D

Hope you have a good reading year too! :flowers2:

What marvellous lists bobbs :D Happy Reading in 2014! .. I see you haven't yet bought a book this year .. well done  :D 

If you ever find out How Not to Worry (or of course if worms have willies :D) then please let me know :D

Impressive TBR lists - you've got your work cut out! - I can see some common elements, particularly cheaper downloads on the Kindle! Just some thoughts which I hope help:

Capital - John Lanchester: good fun read, lighter perhaps than Lanchester intended?
The Crow Road - Iain Banks; excellent if not amazing mystery within a family that doesn't, especially at the start, read like a mystery, loads of atmosphere, fab opening line!!
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens: classic Dickens, 'nuff said!
All Hell Let Loose: The World at War: 1939 - 1945 - Max Hastings: outstanding history, perhaps the best account I've read (of quite a few); love the way he uses individual accounts intertwined with broader perspective.
The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins: great Victorian crime fiction. Stretches credibility a bit, but made up for by the meatiness of the writing.
The Book of Human Skin - Michelle Lovric: couldn't handle this, particularly the complete gobbledygook written by one of the characters. Sad, because I loved The Floating Book. If you can get past that, probably a good read.
The Selfish Gene: 30th Anniversary Edition - Richard Dawkins: superb science writing. Possibly his best??
Around the World in 80 Days Junior Edition - Jules Verne: enjoyed the adult version.
Almost French: A New Life In Paris - Sarah Turnbull: really good account of living in France: her love of France shines through, but she's still able to identify and enjoy the differences! Nice to read such an account that doesn't patronise.
Ash - James Herbert: possibly the worst book I've ever read. Not a great example of James Herbert, or so I've been told (it was my first time!).
Sarah Thornhill - Kate Grenville: grew on me. As you've got Secret River, should be read after that.
The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett: a little bit twee for my taste, but a good, eminently readable example of Victorian children's book. Some nicely atomspheric settings.
Company of Liars - Karen Maitland: a bit curate's eggish, but overall enjoyed it.
The Millenium Trilogy - Stieg Larsson: genuinely not able to put the first one down, finishing at 3.30 in the morning!
A History of 20th Century Britain - Andrew Marr: very readable, a bit simplistic but gave me a good framework to hang other more detailed/academic books on (which is probably pretty much what was intended).
Dracula: A Mystery Story - Bram Stoker: gripping stuff!
Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stevenson: the best of RLS, and they're all good. Brilliantly evokes the Highlands. Exciting too.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: grew up with these, my father guided Holmes walks round London. Classic!
David Copperfield - Charles Dickens: of Dickens's works, only bettered (so far!) by Bleak House. Characters are simply brilliant.
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte: total passion. Found nothing else like it in the English language at least so far!
The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien: monster! I'm not a fantasy fan, but ripped through this.
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas: gripping stuff, classic adventure/revenge yarn. Another all-time favourite.
Diary of a Nobody - George Grossmith: I found this very unfunny, but I'm in a minority!
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain: enjoyed this far more than Tom Sawyer. Perhaps a coincidence too far for me to be a great.
The Outsider - Albert Camus: put off this by reading it for O-level French Lit, but disliked The Plague too. I don't get Camus!
Dune - Frank Herbert: it's not just fantasy (see Lord of the Rings) - I'm not a sci-fi fan either, but Dune transcended the boundaries. Epic narrative.
Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder: got bored part of the way through, just became too incredible/fantastical for me.
The Surgeon Of Crowthorne - Simon Winchester: fascinating, well written as all his books tend to be.
The Earth - Richard Fortey; Fortey is always readable, both these definitely are.
Life: An Unauthorised Biography - Richard Fortey: ditto
The Lying Stones of Marrakech - Stephen J. Gould: one of the great essayists and science writers - love all these collections, tending to read them one at a time rather than as a book.

Gosh, I seem to have gone a bit long - sorry, but hope this is of some interest!

Edited by willoyd

SO. MANY. BOOKS. :)

I hope its a good reading year for you. We share a couple of books on our TBRs. I look forward to seeing what you have to think about them, especially Uncle Tom's Cabin, Les Miserables, and David Copperfield.

The Secret Garden is a great book - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  :)  The adaptation a few years ago with Maggie Smith in it was a pretty good version I think. 

I enjoyed both The Secret Life of Bees and The Help (read both of them for my Book Club).  

Happy reading 2014. :D

Impressive TBR lists - you've got your work cut out! - I can see some common elements, particularly cheaper downloads on the Kindle! Just some thoughts which I hope help:

<snip>

Gosh, I seem to have gone a bit long - sorry, but hope this is of some interest!

Thanks very much for your comments, Willoyd. Yep, I do like the Kindle bargains. Some comments on your comments below:

I hope to read Capital this year. That one was a £0.20 bargain, but I had heard of John Lanchester previously (due to a book on economics he had written) so he was on my radar. It got many mixed reviews, which is probably why I didn't read it straight away.

The Crow Road was another Kindle bargain, recommended by a couple of people at work. I'd enjoyed The Wasp Factory (perhaps 'enjoyed' isn't the right word!) so thought I would try another one of his books, even though I am told those two are vastly different.

Ash is probably one that will remain unread, unless I am absolutely desperate! I haven't heard a positive thing about it, and only bought it because it was £0.20 and it hadn't received all those negative reviews at that point.

I'm glad A History of 20th Century Britain is simplistic, as I want a book to use as a starting point, so I can find what interests me and read more from there.

I started reading Dracula this morning, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm finding it a very easy read, considering how I've struggled a bit with classics.

I couldn't finish Sophie's World either...I've made several attempts at it, but have always given up. However, I still feel there's something in it for me which is why I still have it on my bookshelf.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne is one I'd like to read this year. I've had it for over 10 years, and it sounds fascinating but as often happens, other books have gotten in the way.

Happy reading in 2014 Bobblybear! I hope you have many great adventures. :)

Thanks, Devi! You too. :smile:

SO. MANY. BOOKS. :)

I hope its a good reading year for you. We share a couple of books on our TBRs. I look forward to seeing what you have to think about them, especially Uncle Tom's Cabin, Les Miserables, and David Copperfield.

Thanks, though it may be a while before I get to those particular ones. :D

Good luck bobblybear!

Thanks, Vodkafan! :smile:

The Secret Garden is a great book - I'm sure you'll enjoy it.  :)  The adaptation a few years ago with Maggie Smith in it was a pretty good version I think. 

I enjoyed both The Secret Life of Bees and The Help (read both of them for my Book Club).  

Happy reading 2014. :D

I finished The Secret Life of Bees last night. It was pretty good, but I think I preferred The Help because it seemed to have a more in-depth story. Or maybe because of the ages of the main characters meant I could relate to them more.

Hope you have a great reading year too! :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch yeah! I try to write them on the day I finish the book, or if I finished it late in the day I write them the day after. I understand though that there's not always time and energy for that in everyone's lives :). Sometimes I also take notes while I read, things I notice, to then use in a review (particularly during the read-a-thon when I read multiple shorter books). Good luck with writing your reviews :)!

Thanks, Athena! I occasionally make notes while I'm reading (easy to highlight something on the Kindle), but sometimes it's so hard to put into words what I've felt about a book. At times, I know I liked a book, but can't really figure out specifically why (aside from generalities such as plot or writing), or can't express why. :doh:  I actually find it easier to review books I didn't like, because it's often clear to me why I didn't like it, and writing a review helps me get some of my frustration out. :giggle:

Thanks, Athena! I occasionally make notes while I'm reading (easy to highlight something on the Kindle), but sometimes it's so hard to put into words what I've felt about a book. At times, I know I liked a book, but can't really figure out specifically why (aside from generalities such as plot or writing), or can't express why. :doh:  I actually find it easier to review books I didn't like, because it's often clear to me why I didn't like it, and writing a review helps me get some of my frustration out. :giggle:

Sounds very similar, as I'm not very good as expressing a book's synopsis. And there aren't that many ways to describe how you loved a book. It is easier to say how much I loathe a book though, and is quite therapeutic to vent my spleen too! :giggle2:

"I liked this book. No I REALLY liked this book. 'Twas a great aul book. Brilliant. Good stuff. Great book. Loved it."

^ I have days where that's the best I can do. I also find it easier to write reams about books I was unsure of (e.g. More Than This by Patrick Ness, which I practically wrote a treatise on!)