In The Mood

What books do you have that you know you will read one day when you are in the right mood? Do you ever start a book thinking you will not be in the mood for it, but it ends up being exactly what you need?

I wasn't in the mood for a few books I've read recently. Karma was one, but I absolutely loved it. My Sister's Child was another but I got through it. 1984 I wasn't sure if I was in the right mood for, but it told me a lot and was just the thing I needed I have read books that have spookily come along at exactly the right time in my life too. I read Susan Howatch's The Heartbreaker nearly two years ago and it sparked a whole chain of events that changed my life forever.

Two books I read this year I picked up bcause they had been on my TBR for ages and I felt I ought to read them. I wasn't in the mood at all so was really doing out of discipline to get through books I'd acquired on a whim and lost interest in. They turned out to be two of my favourite reads of the year. Funnily enough they were both autobiographies, which I'm not used to reading. Ugly by Constance Briscoe and Daniella Westbrook's autobiog.

Gererally I think I do need to be in the mood for a book and am more motivated if its something I really want to read, but sometimes you just don't know what treats in store until you open the pages and start reading! :hyper:

I have read books that have spookily come along at exactly the right time in my life too. I read Susan Howatch's The Heartbreaker nearly two years ago and it sparked a whole chain of events that changed my life forever.

That's very intriguing. Can you tell us more?

I always have to be in a certain mood to read certain books. After I've finished a book, I stand in front of my bookcase and agonize over my next choice. And if I happen to pick a book I'm not really in the mood for, I usually get one or two chapters in and stop. Maybe I'm too anal about what I read??:hyper:

I always have to be in a certain mood to read certain books. After I've finished a book, I stand in front of my bookcase and agonize over my next choice. And if I happen to pick a book I'm not really in the mood for, I usually get one or two chapters in and stop. Maybe I'm too anal about what I read??:hyper:

I don't think that's anal - if it is, then I am too because I do exactly that!

I quite often change my mind about what I'm in the mood to read. I'll be reading one and anticipating the next one, but when I finish the first one, I'll realise I'm in the mood for something completely different fromthe one I thought I would read next. I've also had some books on Mount TBR for almost two years now. I know I'll get round to them eventually, but I just haven't been in the mood for them yet.

When the "mood strikes me", I'll finally manage Far From The Madding Crowd - I know exactly where it is sitting on my shelf. Someday, I promise!

My reading moods tend to be more like, "I want a book just like ---- -----." For example, I completely enjoyed One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. What I want is another Cuckoo's Nest! THAT is what I'm in the mood for: we know it doesn't exist, it was a unique adventure.

Sometimes the only choice is to re-read the book again - I could make a list of books I've re-read several times.

Sometimes I can count on an author - I'm in the mood for Rex Stout or Terry Pratchett or Louis L'Amour, where I can depend on a certain reading experience. I also know I can depend on "mood safety" way too much by going back to my sure authors over and over again: which is one reason I am right here, right now: checking the book club forum posts for new directions.

I am hoping one day to be in the mood to read 'Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell', I really want to read it, I just can't seem to get into it .

That's very intriguing. Can you tell us more?

I shall have to think about that!

I quite often change my mind about what I'm in the mood to read. I'll be reading one and anticipating the next one, but when I finish the first one, I'll realise I'm in the mood for something completely different fromthe one I thought I would read next. I've also had some books on Mount TBR for almost two years now. I know I'll get round to them eventually, but I just haven't been in the mood for them yet.

I do exactly that, and I also have books I have had for years, which is partly to do with mood, partly to do with going to university and not having much time.

I would not call myself a fast reader - I like to mentally picture the people and situations - and so it is very unususal for me to finish a whole book in one day. Having said that, I have done it with lightweight but enjoyable thrillers like those by James Hadley Chase in the past.

Now that I've been thinking about this a little bit, I often don't picture anything specific. But I do hear their voices in my head...but even then, sometimes they sound just like me! :hyper:

Ditto re Far From The Madding Crowd! :)

I guess I don't consciously think 'what am I in the mood for next?' but that's probably how I always choose my next book. I'm another one that sits and stares at books until I narrow it down to one. Sometimes I might be in the mood for something light (especially after reading a 'heavy' classic).

I have so many books TBR, and so many that I just know are going to be fantastic, that I don't have to put much effort into it lately. I pretty much know anything I pick up will be a winner! :hyper:

I've been in the mood for 'light reads that don't take much concentration' for the last few years since I had my first child! I've not had enough sleep to concentrate on anything more complicated.

I'm not getting much more sleep at the moment, but I am getting bored with re-reading the same authors that I know I can manage. I think I am ready to branch out now and try some different authors - any ideas?

I've been in the mood for 'light reads that don't take much concentration' for the last few years since I had my first child! I've not had enough sleep to concentrate on anything more complicated.

Exactly how I feel. I love light reads now I have a baby, but I still make myself read deeper things..

I'm not getting much more sleep at the moment, but I am getting bored with re-reading the same authors that I know I can manage. I think I am ready to branch out now and try some different authors - any ideas?

There are plenty of great authors out there for something different. Any idea what kind of book you want?

I don't know what sort of book I want to read - that's part of the problem! :)

I've tried various different books from our local library - crime, thriller, mystery etc. I'm going through a bit of a phase of Knight's Templar books at the moment.

I've got some book vouchers to spend at the moment :hyper: but I find it hard to buy books from authors I've not heard of. I got into the Philippa Gregory books on a recommendation and loved them! I got a couple of new authors for my birthday but haven't read them yet. Just wondered if anyone could recommend a 'not too heavy going' author that I could look out for.

hmmm. I was recommended This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti. It is an amazing book about the other side. Gods angels battle against the demons for humanity by manipulating human thoughts (and therefore actions), but it is rather long (about 500pg).

If you think you would like something cutural we read Empress Orchid by Anchee Min last year for the reading circle. Again, this is a great story and is something different.

I'm reading alot of 'lighter' books at the moment.. I would recommend Maggie O'Farrell, Carole Matthews and Kate Harrison. As well as that, The Time Traveler's Wife and Labyrinth are a couple of my favourites over the past couple of years.. although the latter gets a mixed reaction. My Sister's Keeper is a great introduction to Jodi Picoult, if you haven't read any of hers.

Just a few ideas. :hyper:

I don't know what sort of book I want to read - that's part of the problem! :)

I've tried various different books from our local library - crime, thriller, mystery etc. I'm going through a bit of a phase of Knight's Templar books at the moment.

I've got some book vouchers to spend at the moment :hyper: but I find it hard to buy books from authors I've not heard of. I got into the Philippa Gregory books on a recommendation and loved them! I got a couple of new authors for my birthday but haven't read them yet. Just wondered if anyone could recommend a 'not too heavy going' author that I could look out for.

There are quite a lot of detective/history mysteries which I like, Fidelis Morgan, Karen Harper. Also everything Michelle said, and I liked on the back of P Gregory, the Firemaster's Mistress by Christa Dickason, Labyrinth Kate Mosse and Tracy Chevalier. Oh Kate Atkinson too

• 1 year later...

I wasn't really sure what to put as the title.. I know that some of us feel that we have to be in a certain mood to appreciate certain books, but I was wondering if some books just need the right timing?

For example, I have been hearing good things about The Kite Runner for some time now, but it has never appealed to me. I even had it on my shelf for a while, then I gave it away, knowing I'd never get to it.

Today, however, I was looking at our second hand book table at work, and there was a copy.. and I just knew I had to get it, and read it. And sure enough, I've just started it whilst in the bath.

Has anyone else experienced anything like that.. or am I just odd?! :)

I don't think its odd Michelle, think of it as the universe telling you, its time to read 'The Kite Runner' (now that sounds odd :))

The same happened with me, I was talking about a book which I had read years ago and unfortunately I lost it, a few days after the conversation, I found the book in a comic book store! :D

Edit ~ And sometimes you have to be in the right mood to read something, I have been trying to read 'The Life of Pi' for ages but I am not in the mood to read it :yes:

Edited by Weave

Once upon a time I bought a second hand copy of Richard Bach's "Illusions: the Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah" because I though the title was pure genius, but for some reason it never seemed the right thing to read so it sat there gathering dust for about five or six years - until I picked it up last year, finished it ultraquick and thought, "wow that was beautiful and inspiring and just what I needed, why didn't I read this before?"

And the answer was quite probably in my question, i.e. that I didn't read it before because it was a book destined to change my life at a later moment when I would most need it.