The English Counties Challenge

Goodness me, it's going to take you months to decide on all of the counties at this rate! Given the little disagreements occurring, is there any reason why you can't have a choice of perhaps two books for some counties, especially if members feel particularly strongly about their selections? It doesn't seem fair to have the decision go one person's way if others want to read a different book. If you were doing all of the reads together, I would understand the need to read the same books, but I gather you'll be reading them at your own pace, so perhaps a little leniency could be granted?

For what it's worth (and it's not worth much because I likely won't be participating in this challenge), I think Dracula is a good selection for Whitby. Even though a relatively small portion of the book is set there, I remember that part vividly. I was so taken by the description of the town that I immediately went researching Whitby to find out more and I have mentally added it to my list of places I would love to visit. So, Whitby is officially recognised 'worldwide' as a Dracula-related place, if that helps. :)

I think Dracula is a good selection for Whitby.

Maybe, but is it a good selection for North Yorkshire?  ;)

On the subject of time: we're almost a third of the way through in the10 days since the thread was started, so we're working a little quicker than it might look.

Edited by willoyd

For what it's worth (and it's not worth much because I likely won't be participating in this challenge), I think Dracula is a good selection for Whitby. Even though a relatively small portion of the book is set there, I remember that part vividly. I was so taken by the description of the town that I immediately went researching Whitby to find out more and I have mentally added it to my list of places I would love to visit. So, Whitby is officially recognised 'worldwide' as a Dracula-related place, if that helps. :)

Yes I think that decides it :yes: 

Maybe, but is it a good selection for North Yorkshire?  ;)

.. then again maybe not :D

On the subject of time: we're almost a third of the way through in the10 days since the thread was started, so we're working a little quicker than it might look.

Yes .. it just feels like forever ;)

Goodness me, it's going to take you months to decide on all of the counties at this rate! Given the little disagreements occurring, is there any reason why you can't have a choice of perhaps two books for some counties, especially if members feel particularly strongly about their selections? It doesn't seem fair to have the decision go one person's way if others want to read a different book. If you were doing all of the reads together, I would understand the need to read the same books, but I gather you'll be reading them at your own pace, so perhaps a little leniency could be granted?

Even though this will be the master thread (we cannot be doing all this wrangling for nothing :D) everybody will probably tailor make their challenge to suit themselves .. it's all subjective after all. But they will have this list to refer to (and ignore :D)

:giggle2: I actually dreamt about this thread last night - I dreamt I'd come to it this morning and everyone had discussed all the other counties without me and completed the list!

Yes .. it's a bit like cheese .. it's not wise to come anywhere near this thread last thing at night :D Rest assured it could never happen .. you have the editing rights over that list for a start :D 

Thanks Janet. :)

I'm still keen on Dracula for North Yorkshire, but I'm happy to agree that this can be another county with two books, so we'll go with both Dracula and All Creatures Great and Small, and it seems it's a unanimous decision for Hampshire, so that's another county ticked.

For any new readers of the thread, the list of counties we've decided on so far can be found in the first post on this thread --> http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12146-the-english-counties-challenge/?p=365027

I don't think we've got any more outstanding suggestions, so time to look for two new counties, so might as well start from the top of the list.

Bedfordshire:
My Uncle Silas by H. E. Bates

This was the only book I could find that I'd heard of for Bedfordshire, any other suggestions?

Berkshire:
The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde
Solar by Ian McEwan
Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (part of the river journey is through Berkshire)

Berkshire looks like it'll be up for debate, I think! :D  Other suggestions welcome.

Edited by chesilbeach

Okay so my vote is still for Dracula because although James Herriot was hugely popular back in the day, i know my Dad read most of the books & we watched the TV series as did most families, it's certainly not known by the younger generation (gosh that makes me feel old) whereas Dracula is, so for me that makes it the more famous of the two choices.

I'm happy to go with South Riding - i watched the TV production with the lovely David Morrisey & so it'd be interesting to see how the book differs from the drama.

Now the Hampshire options are more difficult but i'm going to go with Watership Down. 

Bedfordshire:

This was the only book I could find that I'd heard of for Bedfordshire, any other suggestions?

Yes .. that was the only one on my list too.

Berkshire:

Solar by Ian McEwan

Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (part of the river journey is through Berkshire)

Berkshire looks like it'll be up for debate, I think! :D  Other suggestions welcome.

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame which is the one I'd go for :) Though I don't think the area is specifically mentioned .. Kenneth based the tales on his own experiences of 'simply messing about in boats' on the Thames at Cookham.

From your list though I'd choose Three Men in a Boat as the most famous :)

I did look at Wind In The Willows but it doesn't seem to be specifically Berkshire, although mostly the Thames Valley, and I read a few articles on it, and there were suggestions of Oxfordshire, Berkshire, and even part of Cornwall being the inspiration and setting.  I didn't partlcularly enjoy it and have sort of blotted it out of my mind, and I didn't even think of it for the county, but I'm happy to put it in and see what everyone else thinks :)

So, the updated list is:

Berkshire:

Solar by Ian McEwan
Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame
Edited by chesilbeach

I had a bit of a look & couldn't come up with anything else for Bedfordshire either so i'm happy to go with My Uncle Silas  :smile:

Out of the options i'd say Three Men In A Boat  but if The Wind in the Willows is added then i'd go with that as being the most famous but there's also Jude The Obscure  Thomas Hardy.

I was going to nominate The Two Sisters for Bedfordshire.  Also by H E Bates, but personally I'm not a fan of short stories, so I'd prefer this to My Uncle Silas.

I'm not necessarily going to read the same books as everyone else (I hope that's okay) because I've already read a number of those chosen, so in those cases, or if I don't fancy a title, I will read an alternative.   As I said at the start of this thread, I'd already earmarked a 'county challenge' for the future (back in 2011) - but I want to read books that give a feel for those counties, not necessarily those that are most associated with them.  :)

Thanks Kidsmum and Janet.  I'll add Wind in the Willows to the list for Berkshire, but I'll remove The Big Over Easy and Solar as the other two are obviously more well known.  My personal opinion would stay with Three Men In A Boat

I'll add The Two Sisters to Bedfordshire, so we've got the choice of the two.  Anyone else have a preference between the two H. E. Bates?  I'm happy to go with The Two Sisters as I know neither book, so either one will be an interesting read.

Janet, of course it's okay if you don't want to read all the same books, and I'm pretty sure I'm probably going to read more than one book for some counties, the one from the list, and maybe others I also associate with the county either already in the nominations, and possibly some more modern ones that didn't count as the most famous, but which I think are also synonymous with the place.

New lists then ...

Bedfordshire:
The Two Sisters by H. E. Bates 

Berkshire:
Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome 
Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame

I've heard of My Uncle Silas but not the other. However happy to go with either.

My aunt and uncle used to live on the river just upstream from Cookham, and showed me several of the places used in WITW. Certainly closely enough linked to Berkshire for me and it has my vote.

I'm glad you brought that up J :) I will follow the list for the most part, but will find alternatives when I've already read a book - I rarely reread except at a distance of years.

I had decided to withdraw altogether but after chatting with someone about it I decided to do this, as there will definitely be some books from here I will read.  :)

I'd like to vote for The Wind in the Willows, largely because I haven't read it before and I have it on my Kindle.  I've already read Three Men in a Boat:)

It seems like Wind in the Willows gets most peoples vote, so we'll check that one off for Berkshire. I'll wait for any more opinions about Bedfordshire, but we'll get the next county started.

For any new readers of the thread, the list of counties we've decided on so far can be found in the first post on this thread -->
http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12146-the-english-counties-challenge/?p=365027

Bedfordshire:
The Two Sisters by H. E. Bates

Bristol:
Junk by Melvin Burgess
Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer

I'm struggling with Bristol as the book I most associate with Bristol is The Curate's Wife by E. H. Young, but all of her books are out of print, so I don't feel I can nominate it. Of the other two, I've only found out their association by browsing the web, and since I grew up in Bristol, you'd think I know better, but I just can't find any books set there.

Evelina by Fanny Burney is partly set in Bristol (Hotwells) .. but it's not very famous either. I read it because of it's Jane Austen connections but, though it was probably very famous back then, it hasn't sustained that popularity .. not in the way Jane's or the Bronte's books have anyway.

Bristol is a tricky one.  I was going to suggest The Misses Mallet by E H Young.  It's in print, but is nearly £9.

I think it's very well-known that Bristol has a strong link/association with the slave trade - so how about approaching it another way and going for A Respectable Trade by Philippa Gregory?  It was on TV a few years back (but I didn't watch it) and I'm fairly certain the book is set in Bristol.

Edited by Janet

Evelina by Fanny Burney is partly set in Bristol (Hotwells) .. but it's not very famous either. I read it because of it's Jane Austen connections but, though it was probably very famous back then, it hasn't sustained that popularity .. not in the way Jane's or the Bronte's books have anyway.

I've not heard of that one, Kay, but Hotwells is definitely in Bristol, so it would be suitable for nomination :)

Bristol is a tricky one.  I was going to suggest The Misses Mallet by E H White.  It's in print, but is nearly £9.

I think it's very well-known that Bristol has a strong link/association with the slave trade - so how about approaching it another way and going for A Respectable Trade by Philippa Gregory?  It was on TV a few years back (but I didn't watch it) and I'm fairly certain the book is set in Bristol.

Thanks Janet, The Misses Mallett is actually E. H. Young, the same author as The Curate's Wife but I didn't realise any of her books were still in print.  This one also has the alternate title The Bridge Dividing but it doesn't make it any easier to find a copy! :D

I've just looked up the synopsis for A Respectable Trade and it looks eminently suitable, is definitely famous despite being a fairly recently published book, and it sounds like it would certainly give a good feel for Bristol.  I'd be happy to go with that one.

Edited by chesilbeach

I've not heard of that one, Kay, but Hotwells is definitely in Bristol, so it would be suitable for nomination :)

It's on the 1001 but, as I said, I don't think it's any more famous than the others. I'm happy to go with any of the choices (as the only one I've heard of is the one I've read :D which is not the same thing as famous .. though it does confuse one :D)

Bristol: Of those listed the one that stands out as the one I've heard of is Evelina, so my vote will for Fanny Burney. (I was given a copy as an end of year present by a parent who raved about her books). I'm not familiar with any of the others, although have obviously heard of the authors!