The English Counties Challenge

Willy Russell for Merseyside but again they're all plays so not a great choice for either county. I'm happy to vote for Beryl Bainbridge & reluctantly as it is the most famous book Mill On The Floss  :unsure:

I've gone with An Awfully Big Adventure as that would stand out as the more famous to me, as I don't think of Educating Rita as a book to read (as I would with a Shakespeare play, for example), and also Mill on the Floss as there is no real competition!

The next two counties are:

Norfolk
The Go-Between by L. P. Hartley
Love on a Branch Line by John Hadfield
Restoration by Rose Tremain

Northamptonshire
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White
Voice of the Fire by Alan Moore

They get my votes too, so I think we might as well settle those two counties as that's a 100% vote.

That brings us on to ...

Northumberland

Ruined City by Nevil Shute
The Stars Look Down by A. J. Cronin
The Throwback by Tom Sharpe

Nottinghamshire
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood of Great Renown in Nottinghamshire by Howard Pyle
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning by Alan Sillitoe

I don't think I've heard of any of the Northumberland books, and wonder if there are any others?  For Nottinghamshire, I would have to say Lady Chatterley's Lover simply because of the enormity of the publicity and the implications of the trial.
Edited by chesilbeach

Can't argue with The Go-Between or Mansfield Park.  The latter was a new one for me - I had Mistress Masham's Repose down, but Mansfield Park wins out on fame.  I'm glad I have Howard's End down for my personal list, as three Austens is a bit much even for a Janeite like me (not a  good one, obviously, as I didn't know about Northamptonshire!).  

For Norfolk I'd have rather been reading something like Devices and Desires, but again The Go-Between is definitely the better known.

Edited by willoyd

I was going to nominate The Stars Look Down (I love Cronin's Beyond this Place - I've read it several times, although not for about 20 years!) but again, it's out of print*.  :(

Lady Chatterley gets a thumbs up from me.  :)

*ETA  Oh, not it isn't (I was sure I checked) - it's a bit pricey for those without a Kindle though...

Edited by Janet

There are not many books I absolutely detest, but Lady Chatterley's Lover is one of them.  I would have preferred one of Lawrence's other books set in Nottinghamshire, even though I have actually to find any book of his that I like, but LCL is the most famous, no doubt.  This is one where I will definitely opt out and read my own choice - reading is meant to be pleasurable after all!

My choice will probably land up being one version or another of Robin Hood (Roger Green's?).

I have nothing to offer on the Northumberland book.  I've heard of all the authors, read a couple of Cronin and Sharpe, but none sufficiently stand out for me, so will leave it to others to express their preferences!

Edited by willoyd

Oh dear - is it that bad? 

I had wondered about a Robin Hood book (but hadn't got as far as looking for one!).  I think, for me, he's the most famous thing about Nottinghamshire (apart from maybe lace!), and I didn't know Lady Chatterley's Lover was set in that county, but I've been curious about it for some time!

I can't say it was a pleasant read, but I am glad I read it so that I could make up my own mind, as not everyone dislikes it.  I think that while Robin Hood is famous as a character and especially linked to Nottinghamshire, I'm not sure that any one book could match the fame of Lady Chatterley's Lover as its own entity.

I've been having a look at the A J Cronin books, Janet, and none of them are cheap in the paperback versions, but like you said the Kindle editions are much more reasonable in price, and I can see copies of the book in the library system here, so I would imagine that could be another option if we go for that one.

I can't say it was a pleasant read, but I am glad I read it so that I could make up my own mind, as not everyone dislikes it.  I think that while Robin Hood is famous as a character and especially linked to Nottinghamshire, I'm not sure that any one book could match the fame of Lady Chatterley's Lover as its own entity.

I can't dispute that for one second, and even if (IMO) the only reason it has any fame is because of the court case, that doesn't make any difference to the fact that it is famous (or notorious, as I see it!!).

I actually want to read Lady Chatterley's Lover now .. just to see how bad it is :D It gets my vote anyway for sheer famousness but it looks like it would be good to have an alternative for those that can't stick it at any price :D

Have no idea about Northumberland, I haven't heard of any of them :blush2: 

I think we'll have to put Lady Chatterley's Lover down, as I don't think anything else can compare to that in terms of infamy fame, and people can refer back to this thread for other options.

For Northumberland, as most of us don't really know any of the books, I think we should go with Janet's suggestion of The Stars Look Down for now.  I noticed that although the paperbacks are expensive, they were all new editions published only about six months ago, so perhaps they will come down in price next year, and then there is always the Kindle edition for those that have access to them, or the library, as my library does have copies of it available.  If we come across something more famous later on, then we can always change it.

Onwards we march ...

Oxfordshire
The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford
Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym
Last Bus to Woodstock by Colin Dexter

While I would love to read the Pym again (and I probably will), I think in terms of fame, The Pursuit of Love has it hands down for me.  Are there any other suggestions of books I've missed, or anyone want to argue for either of the other books?

Rutland
Set in Stone by Robert Goddard

I've struggled to find anything for Rutland, and this is a fairly recent novel (1999) listed only on the Leicestershire local government website about literature in the East Midlands, so any and all other suggestions welcome!

The Mitford :D .. no question :D There is also Edmund Crisp's The Moving Toyshop but that's not particularly famous.

Definitely The Pursuit of Love! :D

Shropshire

The most famous Shropshire setting are the Cadfael series by Ellis Peters.

Precious Bane by Mary Webb -but not well-known(or that enjoyed either) -maybe Gone to Earth?

My vote would be one of PG Wodehouse Blandings Castle series, maybe 

Pigs Have Wings, Galahad at Blandings, Summer Lightning are good books, in fact, any Blandings Castle books that have Lord Emsworth's prize pig Empress of Blandings are wonderful! Quintessentially Shropshire  :D

I'd forgotten we were going to include Lark Rise to Candleford for Oxfordshire. :blush: That narrows it down to:

Oxfordshire
The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford
Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson

With a lack for suggestions for Rutland, it looks like we'll have to go for Set in Stone.

Thanks for the suggestions for Shropshire, Marie, as that is our next county, so we might as well show all the choices now:

Shropshire
Something Fresh by P G Wodehouse
A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters
Precious Bane by Mary Webb

I've gone for Something Fresh which I think is the first Blandings book?

I was just noting Lark Rise. Personally, I reckon Pursuit of Love is probably the more famous, and is the one I go for.

I've certainly heard of, and read some of, the Blandings series, but would suggest that Something Fresh isn't the best title of the series to include.  The stand out  title for me is Summer Lightning, which is also the one in which the Empress is introduced, and the first of the series to focus on the real names of the rest of the series (Something Fresh is a below stairs story, and Leave It To Psmith is really a Psmith story rather than a full blooded Blandings one).  I don't think there's a problem in having the third of the series - it was the first I read, and that didn't matter.

Sorry willoyd, I got a bit confused!  So with the previous comments noted I've put The Pursuit of Love for Oxfordshire and Summer Lightning for Shropshire.

Next two counties are:

Suffolk:
Sacred Country by Rose Tremain
The Hundred and One Dalmations by Dodie Smith
Cecilia by Frances Burney
The Sea House by Esther Freud

Tyne and Wear:
The Machine Gunners by Robert Westall
Skellig by David Almond

Any other suggestions or nominations for either of these two?

I haven't looked at Suffolk yet

I've hard of both the Tyne and Wear books but I'm not sure either of them is famous for being set in the county?  With that in mind, can I please nominate Another World by Pat Barker?  I'm not sure how famous it is but I think it might be worth looking at.  : )