Has anyone read...?

Janet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends Indeed by Rose Doyle.

I read this book a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it!

What helped was that parts of the book are based in Co Kildare (The Curragh) and as my mum lives there, I found I could picture it better. Although if you do not know Kildare, it should not spoil your enjoyment.

Hi, Chrissy! :smile2:

I just checked out The Pale Blue Eye from the library.. It looks good! It's a Victorian murder mystery and apparently Edgar Allen Poe makes an appearance. It seems neat, Arewenearlythere!

... Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite? I've had a friend un-recommend the author to me as she made her faint once, but I saw this one in W's yesterday and the blurb really appealed so I'd love thoughts from anyone who might have read it.

... Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite? I've had a friend un-recommend the author to me as she made her faint once, but I saw this one in W's yesterday and the blurb really appealed so I'd love thoughts from anyone who might have read it.

I'm quite certain that Univerze has read at least Exquisite Corpse by the same author, maybe she would know about Lost Souls as well?

Edit: I believe Univerze mentioned EC in the most disturbing novel you've ever read -thread :D

All Poppy Brite's books are incredibly detailed, gory and with a great deal of sexual content. Lost Souls is a prime example of that (graphic descriptions of sexual encounters between men) so if you don't like blood, guts and sexual scenes avoid Ms Brite at all costs. It's fantastic modern gothic horror though if you can get beyond all that :D

All Poppy Brite's books are incredibly detailed, gory and with a great deal of sexual content. Lost Souls is a prime example of that (graphic descriptions of sexual encounters between men) so if you don't like blood, guts and sexual scenes avoid Ms Brite at all costs. It's fantastic modern gothic horror though if you can get beyond all that ;)

Is it wrong that this has piqued my interest in this book? :D

Is it wrong that this has piqued my interest in this book? :D

No! Poppy Brite has a huge fanbase, and her writing can be amazing - she has written the occasional dud but who doesn't? She writes a lot about gay and lesbian characters but if this doesn't bother you then you should try her at least once ;)

if you don't like blood, guts and sexual scenes avoid Ms Brite at all costs.
Blood and guts are absolutely fine, but... darn it, I knew it. Thanks for the warning, Fi :D.

Is it wrong that this has piqued my interest in this book?
Not at all ;) at least one of us gets to enjoy the vampiric funnage - why couldn't I have discovered Mr Brite at 15? I would have loved her then!

No! Poppy Brite has a huge fanbase, and her writing can be amazing - she has written the occasional dud but who doesn't? She writes a lot about gay and lesbian characters but if this doesn't bother you then you should try her at least once ;)

Not at all :D at least one of us gets to enjoy the vampiric funnage - why couldn't I have discovered Mr Brite at 15? I would have loved her then!

Sweet! :D Which one would you recommend I start with Fi?

I would start with Lost Souls, it's not quite as full-on as Exquisite Corpse and if you like it then try Corpse :D I wouldn't recommend reading Exquisite Corpse as your first taste of her writing! Aanother idea is to get one of her collections of short stories and you get a varied sampler of her style & subject matter.

Hi Everyone ;)

How are you ALL doing? :D

Has anyone read? The Salem Witch Trials Reader by Frances Hill I have been thinking about investing in it for awhile. :D

I would start with Lost Souls, it's not quite as full-on as Exquisite Corpse and if you like it then try Corpse :D I wouldn't recommend reading Exquisite Corpse as your first taste of her writing! Aanother idea is to get one of her collections of short stories and you get a varied sampler of her style & subject matter.

Lost Souls it is then ;) Thanks Fi :D

Lost Souls it is then
To be fair, I really really really want to read this one so could you please let me know just how good it was when you're finished? If you tell me that OMG IT WAS THE BEST BOOK EVER, I might try to use it to shock me into being able to read certain things again, I'm aware that I'm missing out on a lot of good books being the way I am and it vexes me.

Has anyone read any Anita Shreve? Keep seeing books of hers all over the place and yet I've not read any of hers. Are they in the same genre/vein as Jodi Picoult?

I have read all of Anita Shreve's books, and prefer them to Jodi Picoult as the mystical bits in the more recent Picoult books which I have read have started to irritate me. My least favourite Anita Shreve books are Eden Close, Resistance, Body Surfing, and A Change in Altitude - Light on Snow is indeed a good one. :roll:

To be fair, I really really really want to read this one so could you please let me know just how good it was when you're finished? If you tell me that OMG IT WAS THE BEST BOOK EVER, I might try to use it to shock me into being able to read certain things again, I'm aware that I'm missing out on a lot of good books being the way I am and it vexes me.

Oh my, that's a lot of responsibility! :roll: I'll do my best though :D

Oh my, that's a lot of responsibility! :D I'll do my best though :lol:
Thank you :roll: I'm sure you'll do brilliantly, you fine people seem to handle responsibility well :D the last person I saddled with telling me if something was OMG THE BEST BOOK EVER ended up allowing me to discover something which I am currently adoring every page of, so...!