Has anyone read...?

Janet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! I've also discovered that it's in the local library, I will definitely borrow it at some point and try it :tong:

The Book of Shadows sounds cool, Frankie! I've added this one to my wishlist :blush:.

I'll second the opinion of Library Of Shadows, I read it last year when it came out and loved it :lol: A lot of my friends (and my mum) didn't like it though, it's one of those books you'll either love or loathe.

I hope to be of the former ones, the books sounds really great :blush: Plus it's a Danish book, always nice to find new Nordic novels.

The Book of Shadows sounds cool, Frankie! I've added this one to my wishlist :tong:.

Cool :lol: Let's let each other know how we liked it! :D

Has anyone read Tideland by Mitch Cullin? I saw the film and thought it was pretty weird but liked it. I came across the book on Amazon a few years ago and saw that the reviews were pretty good, but I never picked it up. It's not at my local library, so I wanted to see if anyone here liked it before I buy.

I've read the Great Gatsby and I have to say I didn't like it that much. I had a problem gettting through it and it's only 120 pages. However it had a great ending so that changed my opinion a little bit.

It took me three complete readings to get it but when I did, I thought it was brilliant.

Has anyone read Home by Marilynne Robinson I am 60 pages in and don't know what to make of it I keep it my bag for reading on the bus and have another for bedtime. I would be interested to here what others think of thsi bookfor me I think it is too slow not sure on that point.

I have read Home and did quite enjoy it - my parents (both 70) absolutely loved it and praised the quality of the writing to the high heavens. They compared it to Anita Brookner, but with more characters and not quite so introspective. In fact, you have just reminded me that they wanted it back to lend to a friend!

It certainly isn't a fast-moving story, but I thought it was very evocative and brought the feelings of the characters to life very well. In fact, maybe slightly too well, as I seem to remember the pervading feelings of failure and guilt made me feel a wee bit depressed. But maybe that was just the mood I was in at the time!

Has anyone read Ruby's Spoon by Anna Lawrence Pietroni?

I want to know this as well .. it's on my notepad (waiting to be promoted to my TBR). I love the look and the sound of it but it's only in hardback at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...