Has anyone read...?

Janet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read:

Evernight + Stargazer by Claudia Gray; if so, would I like it, considering I loathed Twilight (for style and stereotypes - I do like my vamps)?

and / or

Troy / Ithaka / Dido by Adele Geras; if so, thoughts?

If you didn't like Twilight Giulia, you won't like Evernight or Stargazer - I have both but have only read Evernight, not impressed and I quite liked Twilight! I have heard that Stargazer is slightly better so I may give it a go, HTH :)

Has anyone read both Beauty and Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley? I know they're both reworkings of Beauty and the Beast so I was wondering whether there were many differences and which one was better - or whether perhpahs they were both good in different ways?

Has anyone read both Beauty and Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley? I know they're both reworkings of Beauty and the Beast so I was wondering whether there were many differences and which one was better - or whether perhpahs they were both good in different ways?

I only read Beauty and thought very little of it.

Where as I read Beauty and loved it :D

I think you're reading the books in my home library :D

I've read both, liked Beauty but loved Rose Daughter - don't ask me why, I just did! I know other folks who have read both and have the opposite opinion to me. I think it will be purely down to personal preference :D

I think you're reading the books in my home library
Maybe I should just relocate to your house and make my own life easier :D!

I've read both, liked Beauty but loved Rose Daughter - don't ask me why, I just did! I know other folks who have read both and have the opposite opinion to me. I think it will be purely down to personal preference
Would you recommend getting both to make my own mind up then - and if so, do you think it matters what order I read them in?

I've read both, liked Beauty but loved Rose Daughter

I wonder might I like Rose Daughter more then? Although I really didn't like anything about Beauty. It's a character driven story, and the characters had no personality whatsoever, and it's a novelization of a short story, but there's nothing added to that story whatsoever! In fact, if I recall correctly, the original had far more detail. (Irrelevant detail regarding lineage and conflicts I think, which is why it was left out of all later versions, but present in the original none the less.)

:D That may be a very good idea!

I read Beauty first and then Rose Daughter. Hmmm, if you haven't read any McKinley before, I would maybe buy Beauty first, if you decide you like her writing then try Rose Daughter and the other book in the Folktales series, Spindle's End :D

I wonder might I like Rose Daughter more then? Although I really didn't like anything about Beauty. It's a character driven story, and the characters had no personality whatsoever, and it's a novelization of a short story, but there's nothing added to that story whatsoever! In fact, if I recall correctly, the original had far more detail. (Irrelevant detail regarding lineage and conflicts I think, which is why it was left out of all later versions, but present in the original none the less.)

Rose Daughter read differently to Beauty, for me anyway - but I still like both books. It's possibly because it was written almost 20 years later and McKinley's writing & style has improved vastly!

I would maybe buy Beauty first, if you decide you like her writing then try Rose Daughter and the other book in the Folktales series, Spindle's End
Sounds like a battleplan, thank you :D I did intend to read Spindle's End as well anyway (Sleeping Beauty being my favourite fairy tale & Disney film). I'm also really intrigued by the idea of Sunshine but the ugly cover is putting me off :D.

Rose Daughter read differently to Beauty, for me anyway - but I still like both books. It's possibly because it was written almost 20 years later and McKinley's writing & style has improved vastly!

Cool, I'll probably give it a go. I really wanted to like Beauty.

Sounds like a battleplan, thank you :) I did intend to read Spindle's End as well anyway (Sleeping Beauty being my favourite fairy tale & Disney film). I'm also really intrigued by the idea of Sunshine but the ugly cover is putting me off :D.

My original copy of Sunshine had a rather nice cover but the replacement copy I have now is probably the one you've seen, not nice at all :D

Cool, I'll probably give it a go. I really wanted to like Beauty.

Yay! I just hope you like it now :lol:

Has anyone read the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich (I hope I spelled that correctly)?

My mother and sister recommended these books to me, and I am more than a bit hesitant, as I generally read fantasy, sci-fi, and classics. I do sometimes like the comedic book, though. I love Douglas Adams, Christopher Moore, and Tom Robbins.

So, how funny are the Stephanie Plum books?

It depends on your sense of humour - they're "laugh out loud, don't read in a public place" funny to me and my usual genres are fantasy, sci-fi, classics and horror :welcome2:

You should definitely try them - they're not everyone's cup of tea and I don't think some of the most recent ones have been as good but, if I need a quick "cheer me up" read I get the Plum books out :welcome2:

I've just read the third one and I don't find them laugh-out-loud funny but they're a good, light read. My preferred genres are also sci-fi and classics, so you might do OK with them. :welcome2:

Has anyone read The Secrets Of The Lazarus Club by Tony Pollard? It's come up for about the fifth time in recommendations from Amazon but I don't remember hearing anything about it.