What's Up in October?

Kylie

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was mowing the grass this morning and was cutting on a hill horizontally when I went to turn the lawnmower and the next thing I know my face hit the ground....hard. I slipped on some wet straw that was on the lawn and I went down fast and hard. The first thing to hit was my face....square on. My face is all cut and bruised, my head hurts, and my teeth hurt. Also, my eyeglasses are probably broken. My face looks like I am sunburned all over plus the cuts..

Not a good day. Think I will go and take an early evening nap.

That's a bad news, Talisman.. I can't wait to see those pics.

You're all doing really well, aren't you? Holidays, book fairs, shopping, shutdown.. busy lives, guys! And I truly envy you every one of you.. just so you know. :D:giggle2:

I'm spending a lot of time in the hospitals lately.. but no answers at the moment. So, I'm still waiting.

I was mowing the grass this morning and was cutting on a hill horizontally when I went to turn the lawnmower and the next thing I know my face hit the ground....hard. I slipped on some wet straw that was on the lawn and I went down fast and hard. The first thing to hit was my face....square on. My face is all cut and bruised, my head hurts, and my teeth hurt. Also, my eyeglasses are probably broken. My face looks like I am sunburned all over plus the cuts..

Oh Muggle! :o  I send you my gentlest of hugs. Sometimes things happen so darned fast you can't catch yourself and your face gets it fully. Take very good care of yourself, something like that is such a shock to the system, let alone painful. :flowers2:

You're all doing really well, aren't you? Holidays, book fairs, shopping, shutdown.. busy lives, guys! And I truly envy you every one of you.. just so you know. :D:giggle2:

I'm spending a lot of time in the hospitals lately.. but no answers at the moment. So, I'm still waiting.

Awww, Eleonora. Sorry that you aren't getting any answers, it must be so frustrating for you. :friends0:

x

Wow muggle :(, I hope you feel better soon. It sounds really painful. 

x

I hope they'll give you answers soon (and good ones at that) :hug:.

I've lost quite a bit of weight recently, I'm quite happy with that :). Yesterday I cut myself in my finger and burned my thumb (these were two seperate occasions) :doh:. I'm still quite tired but I'm having fun though doing certain things (such as reading or being busy with my books). I'm less stressed though, sometimes I still have a 'stress attack' but it's a lot less than it used to be when I was working on my master research. So overall I'm pleased with the progress, even if it isn't as fast as I perhaps hoped it would be.

My boyfriend is going through some tough times at the moment :(. I'm hoping it'll be better in a while, though hopefully it should be even though things went differently as we planned (worse, in fact). It's a long story but he's living in a toxic environment that isn't good for him at all. On the one bright side, it might mean he'll move in here sooner. We had just hoped it was under more joyous circumstances. If all is well he'll visit me next week so we'll be able to talk more about things then. He'll definitely need some time to de-stress and relax.

Sorry to hear about your boyfriend's situation Gaia .. hope he is able to visit as planned and relax a little.

Well done with the weight loss .. you're doing great :friends0: 

Our 3D TV has died :( *RIP 3D TV* .. it blacked out on Sunday and no amount of mouth to mouth could bring it back again (and believe me Alan tried .. it cut out during the Japanese Grand Prix :giggle2:) This has resulted in several cosy afternoons/evenings spent TOGETHER :o by the fire reading. I have rediscovered my husband (I had no idea what he looked like after 4pm :D) and he has discovered his book again and is reading. He does tend to interrupt my reading with updates about how his is going but still ... it's all very civilised and convivial. We even had an iced bun yesterday (absolutely unheard of previously ;))

Sadly the ambulance is coming for the TV later today .. they have great hopes that they can dose it up and make it as good as new.. or possibly they will give us a newborn .. it remains to be seen. I am going to have to make the most of what precious little time I have left before he disappears back to his cave. A film came through from LoveFilm yesterday .. Priest?? .. which is giving him great withdrawal pangs .. it sounds like a load of old hokey but it's 3D hokey and the sort he likes so, though I would rather stick pins in my eyes, he is looking forward to it and planning popcorn etc.

Bloomin technology .. I didn't realise before how much 'husband time' it steals  :mad: .. still .. absence does make the heart grow fonder so he'll me very fond of me by this time next week. I may be able to use that to my advantage  :D  

I have some really good news - I have got another job ! It's in another care home, this time run by a much smaller chain, slightly further from home, but it pays 40p an hour more, which takes it to just 15p an hour less than the living wage that I deserve. The best thing of all is that everything there is brand spanking new, as the home has only been open since January. No expense has been spared and it looks more like a 5 star hotel than a care home. They seem a lovely, very forward thinking company who really care about the welfare of their staff, and I am really optimistic about working there.

It was a friend from my current work who told me about the home, having seen an advert in her local paper, and I am pleased to say that she has a job there too, although for the moment only at the weekends. She has an ongoing grievance with the company we both currently work for to do with health and safety and the union feel they have a better chance of winning her case if for the moment she stays there, so she is going to carry on here during the week and work at the new place at the weekends. I am pleased about that as it means that we will still be working there - she has been a great support to me during the short and somewhat painful time I have spent here.

The last straw for me came the day that they hauled me into the office and threatened me with the sack for telling a resident off for hoarding toilet rolls. This was just the latest in a long line of incidents, which included them telling me what underwear I could and could not wear among other things. Having left my previous job for this sort of thing, I knew that I had to get out of here before I started feeling as bad as I did there - after 9 months rather than 3 1/2 years. Imo this home is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off, and I don't intend to stick around to see that happen. With a bit of luck, I will be out of here by Christmas. 

Edited by Talisman

I'm so glad you found another job, that's excellent! Congratulations :)!

That other company sounds very terrible though, I'm glad you'll be out of there in a few months :hug:.

On a side note, there are going on a lot of cuts in the Netherlands so certain types of care homes for the elderly will receive no more funding (I have a family member who works in one). I'm not sure how it's organised in the UK where you live, in the Netherlands you have elderly care centres for those who can't take care of themselves anymore and other elderly care centres for those who also need a certain degree of medical care. I don't know the exact details to be honest, what kind of care home do you work in?

The government is doing lots of cuts here, possibly into my finances as well :(. I'm just hoping for the best but..

The home I am in at the moment is a residential care home, which is supported by district nurses. The residents are a mixture of both fee paying and social services - I am not sure about the new one, but it is also care rather than nursing.

The cuts in social care funding are though are a huge part of the problem, which have placed a big strain on resources. I am not sure what the solution is - there are no easy answers.

Congrats on the new job, June ! I hope you like it a lot . I know from some of your posts that you were unhappy with your current job for different reasons, so this has to be a move in the right direction . It's nice that your friend will also be there ,and they pay raise is great news .

Oh muggle!!  OUCH!  I'm so sorry that happened.  Miserable feeling.  I hope nothing was broken, and you're feeling much better now.  Sending good vibes.  :empathy:

Hey Elenora...sometimes waiting and being patient is all we can do.  But I know it's horribly frustrating for you.  I hope and pray something wonderful comes for all your good patience.  Sending hugs and good vibes. :friends0:

I've lost quite a bit of weight recently, I'm quite happy with that :). Yesterday I cut myself in my finger and burned my thumb (these were two seperate occasions) :doh:. I'm still quite tired but I'm having fun though doing certain things (such as reading or being busy with my books). I'm less stressed though, sometimes I still have a 'stress attack' but it's a lot less than it used to be when I was working on my master research. So overall I'm pleased with the progress, even if it isn't as fast as I perhaps hoped it would be.

My boyfriend is going through some tough times at the moment :(. I'm hoping it'll be better in a while, though hopefully it should be even though things went differently as we planned (worse, in fact). It's a long story but he's living in a toxic environment that isn't good for him at all. On the one bright side, it might mean he'll move in here sooner. We had just hoped it was under more joyous circumstances. If all is well he'll visit me next week so we'll be able to talk more about things then. He'll definitely need some time to de-stress and relax.

Congratulations on your weight loss, Athena!  Hope your hurts have healed somewhat by now.

Very sorry to hear of your boyfriend's family problems, it's always family that hurts the most.  gak. Hope his visit comes to pass, for both your sakes. :)  :friends3:

I have some really good news - I have got another job ! It's in another care home, this time run by a much smaller chain, slightly further from home, but it pays 40p an hour more, which takes it to just 15p an hour less than the living wage that I deserve. The best thing of all is that everything there is brand spanking new, as the home has only been open since January. No expense has been spared and it looks more like a 5 star hotel than a care home. They seem a lovely, very forward thinking company who really care about the welfare of their staff, and I am really optimistic about working there.

It was a friend from my current work who told me about the home, having seen an advert in her local paper, and I am pleased to say that she has a job there too, although for the moment only at the weekends. She has an ongoing grievance with the company we both currently work for to do with health and safety and the union feel they have a better chance of winning her case if for the moment she stays there, so she is going to carry on here during the week and work at the new place at the weekends. I am pleased about that as it means that we will still be working there - she has been a great support to me during the short and somewhat painful time I have spent here.

The last straw for me came the day that they hauled me into the office and threatened me with the sack for telling a resident off for hoarding toilet rolls. This was just the latest in a long line of incidents, which included them telling me what underwear I could and could not wear among other things. Having left my previous job for this sort of thing, I knew that I had to get out of here before I started feeling as bad as I did there - after 9 months rather than 3 1/2 years. Imo this home is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off, and I don't intend to stick around to see that happen. With a bit of luck, I will be out of here by Christmas. 

June, I'm so happy you've found a new position! Talk about toxic!  That place is it!  Smaller, often times is much better, not all the bureaucracy of a huge conglomerate. 

Well, we are back in our little nest, north of New Orleans.  Lots of walking, shopping and some museum looking was accomplished in WDC.  Not to even mention book buying!

Arrived home Thursday night, late. 

Edited by pontalba

Thanks for reminding me, Muggle!  I really don't know why I remain a fan of our :censored: football team.

Have fun in DC, Pontalba!  I love it there :D.  How was the Crescent?  I used to book train travel and I know that train well.  They still held the book sale, huh?  I'm surprised those jerks didn't ruin your weekend by canceling the sale. 

I had a productive weekend and got lots done.  This week will be busy with work and will hopefully go fast because this weekend I'm having one last hurrah up at the cabin with a few friends of mine.  I won't be going up until again until next spring, unfortunately :(.

The Crescent was great!  Although we were about two and a half hours late arriving back in N.O., he backed up so much, I was afraid he'd back up to Slidell!  heh 

There were several traffic delays on the way home, hence the late arrival.

The trip was great.  The staff on the trains was always helpful and kind. 

Yeah, the book sale was our first stop after arriving in D.C. Saturday morning.  They were awfully nice.  When we finished, they even had a guy manning a van for shuttle service to the nearest Metro.  But!  The driver wasn't that busy, and drove us back to the hotel.  Really nice fellow.  Typical diplomatic service fella. :D  We figured it was a crap shoot as to whether the sale would be or not, but I couldn't find anything negative on their website, so figured it was ok.  By then all the reservations were in place anyhow. 

Fortunately the Phillips was open, and the Van Gogh collection had just arrived.  Wonderful.  Absolutely wonderful!!

Congratulations on your weight loss, Athena!  Hope your hurts have healed somewhat by now.

Very sorry to hear of your boyfriend's family problems, it's always family that hurts the most.  gak. Hope his visit comes to pass, for both your sakes. :)  :friends3:

x

Thanks, pontalba :hug:!

I'm glad you had fun :)!

I'm borrowing the Harry Potter blu-ray set from one of my sister's friends. I'm watching the eight films for the first time. Watched the first and second and to me, they're good, but they don't exactly measure up to my favorite fantasy movie series: The Lord of the Rings. The characters are in no way as memorable as characters in LOTR, but for what it's worth I think the acting is decent. I think Emma Watson did a great job in the HP films. The visual effects are pretty good. Overall I rate the HP movies 6/10

Edited by Rachel56789

Check out some beautiful fall photos via the slide show, just click on the arrow.....especially #27, but all are nice.

http://main.aol.com/2013/10/17/have-you-fallen-into-fall_n_4116278.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl13|sec1_lnk2&pLid=396147

Edited by muggle not

I so envy you Kate *sigh* :hug: 

:friends0:

Check out some beautiful fall photos via the slide show, just click on the arrow.....especially #27, but all are nice.

http://main.aol.com/2013/10/17/have-you-fallen-into-fall_n_4116278.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl13|sec1_lnk2&pLid=396147

Gorgeous muggle! 

How are you feeling after your fall?

2 exams coming up next week, so again I can't read anything other than course literature. Philosophical questions and logic. 

/fingers crossed/  :D

2 exams coming up next week, so again I can't read anything other than course literature. Philosophical questions and logic.

x

Good luck with your exams!

x

Those are some beautiful photos!

If I had any doubts as to whether I was doing the right thing in leaving my current job, then they have definitely been swept aside by a series of meetings that were held yesterday. When I received a letter in the post last week informing me of these meetings, and stating that the District Manager and a woman from Employee Relations were to be there, I knew that it would not be good, and for those who now choose to remain, it most definitely will not be.

They are proposing a range of sweeping changes that will affect as usual everyone it seems except the Managers. Us housekeepers will predictably be among the worst affected. My Line Manager, who has been with this company for 26 years was told 10 minutes before the meeting that she is to be made redundant, and my immediate Manager, the Head Housekeeper was told during the meeting that her own role is to be incorporated into the role of general Housekeeper. The housekeepers who are currently on 40 hour contracts will have their hours cut to 37.5 and the laundry assistant will have her hours cut from 22.5 to 20 per week. In addition to this, the role of laundry assistant as a standalone will become obsolete and also incorporated into the role of Housekeeper. In other words, we will all be expected to do a mix of both laundry and housekeeping. The other thing is that everyone will now be expected to work alternate weekends and varied shifts, which for us housekeepers will cover the hours of 8am to 6pm. At the moment we work either 8-3.30 or 4.30pm. These then are all major changes that will negatively impact on all of us, except of course me who is going anyway. I suspect after this that I won't be the only one !   

Edited by Talisman