Hughes' Fantasy Reviews 2013

Signor Finzione

I've never heard of it. :o Do tell!

.  It's a side-scrolling platform survival horror game.  I think :giggle2:

Currently trying to get Path of Exile running on my pc.  So many patches needed to get it going :rolleyes:  But it's free, so shouldn't complain :giggle2:

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still haven't got Path of Exile running.  I think it's up to about 15 patches now.  Why it doesn't just auto-patch up to the latest version I don't know.  Instead you have to log out, update, log in, attempt to launch the game, then get a message saying it needs a patch, log out, update, log in, attempt to launch the game, rinse and repeat :rolleyes:

It had better be good when it runs :lol:

Still haven't got Path of Exile running.  I think it's up to about 15 patches now.  Why it doesn't just auto-patch up to the latest version I don't know.  Instead you have to log out, update, log in, attempt to launch the game, then get a message saying it needs a patch, log out, update, log in, attempt to launch the game, rinse and repeat :rolleyes:

It had better be good when it runs :lol:

I remember having a problem with the patches on my Neverwinter Nights. It kept saying it needed updating, and I kept doing it, then it said it needed updating again etc . . . Eventually I realised I'd somehow been installing and re-installing the same patch again and again. And again.  :doh:

I hope it's good. Let me know when you get it running!

I could buy half of a book with that money, though. :P

Must be a cheap book by today's prices :giggle2:

No I don't, and you might want to create a separate post for this sort of thing rather than just dumping your requests in other people's reading logs.

Eh? :shrug:

Must be a cheap book by today's prices :giggle2:

Well, maybe not a Waterstones book, but the average price for a paperback on Amazon is around 5-6 quid. :D

Eh? :shrug:

Oh, it was some new guy spam-posting about a book he couldn't find. Mods must have deleted it. :lol:

Deadlight is currently £2.49 on Steam until November 1st.  Just sayin'  :giggle2:

I hate to add to your troubles, but I highly recommend buying deadlight!

Are you people on commission? :giggle2: I think I may have to add this to the ever-growing Christmas list. :D

Noooo I have enough games I want to play - not to mention books to read! - so please don't give me any more! I'll have to start a TBP list at this rate. :lol:

x

Mine got big and after having too little energy and at some point interest in playing many games I decided to buy less of them, since last year. Since then I haven't bought a lot of games (okay, still some, but not a lot). I don't miss it so much most times, though I'm still curious about some of the titles on my "TBP" as you call it. Video games really tire me out though so somehow just that fact makes me reluctant to play some of those that I know will make me feel really bad after 30-60 mins of playing them. At the moment I'm playing Pokémon X on the 3DS and am really enjoying that. It's not so tiring for me so that's good.

x

This sounds like a right pain in the ! I find it annoying when things don't work as they're supposed to, and would probably have given up on it unless I was really interested in it (I don't know Path of Exile, the name does ring a bell though..). I hope you can get it to work!

It depends on whether Bloodsong is shortlisted for 'best debut novel' as well as the Legend award. :shrug: I do hope he wins it for Emperor (he deserves it), but if not then at least we know he'll still have other books that may be nominated in the future!

John Gwynne won this year's debut award with Malice, by the way, which I really will have to read soon. And Red Country won the award for best cover art! :)

I wonder which ones will be nominated next year. --strokes chin thoughtfully--

Bloodsong is so Gemmell-like it could almost have been written by the great man himself, that's why I suspect it'll get a lot of votes, providing it's nominated  :smile:

I'm sure it will be, given the amount of praise it's received from different quarters. :) It's another one I'm looking forward to reading next year - once I've bought it, that is. :giggle2:

(I'd be voting for it to win just so I could go over to SFF Chronicles and laugh :P.)

I'm sure it will be, given the amount of praise it's received from different quarters. :) It's another one I'm looking forward to reading next year - once I've bought it, that is. :giggle2:

(I'd be voting for it to win just so I could go over to SFF Chronicles and laugh :P.)

:lol:

Bunch of snobs they are :rolleyes:  They wouldn't have voted for Mark Lawrence or Joe, either :rolleyes:

Review: 'Tomorrow the Killing' by Daniel Polansky

Polansky+-+TTK.jpg

The Dren War ended fifteen years ago. Some soldiers came home heroes, while others came back bitter, broken and without a future. Many didn’t make it back at all.

Roland Montgomery, hero of the war, was brutally murdered and his body dumped behind a brothel. Years later, his death still haunts Warden, once Montgomery’s soldier and friend.

Now Montgomery’s sister Rhaine has disappeared, after asking one too many awkward questions about his death. But Warden knows whose hand is lifted against whom, where the blood flows and where the bodies fall. He’ll find Rhaine.

But he’ll also find the returning past to be a bloody, vengeful and unforgiving mistress.

The Straight Razor Cure was Polansky’s debut novel, and was a gritty and gripping introduction to the Low Town series. Tomorrow the Killing is even more impressive than its predecessor: it is dark and compelling and delves more deeply into Warden’s past, focusing particularly on his service during the Great War. This second instalment in the Low Town novels is set three years after the events of the first, and places a much greater emphasis on Warden’s attitude to the war: his voice comes across a lot more strongly and the overriding tone is one of grim cynicism, which is perfect for the purposes of the story.

The characters – new and recurring – feel a lot more developed here, and I found myself liking (and hating) them a lot more than the characters in Razor. I felt revulsion towards the drug-addled crime lord Adisu the Damned, a mixture of anger and sympathy for war ‘hero’ Adolphus, derision and amusement at every appearance of the goons Roussel and Rabbit. The dialogue is sharp and witty, and Warden’s dry one-liners are a frequent source of humour. Most importantly, I began to understand the protagonist a little better. Tomorrow the Killing gives us a lot more to chew over in our attempts to understand Warden’s motives and attitudes, and it’s at this point where we start to experience an interesting mixture of sympathy and antipathy towards our anti-hero: antipathy, because the way he mishandles his relationships and deals with his problems is so different from how we imagine we would behave in his situation; sympathy, because we can totally understand why someone would react in such a way and how easy it would be to set foot on Warden’s downward spiral.

One of the shining aspects of Tomorrow the Killing is the way in which it deals with the impact of history upon the present day. Polansky draws on an issue that will always be relevant in any world, real or fictional, and presents several layers of conflict very cleverly. He has the Warden’s regret-tinged struggle to come to terms with his own participation in the war; Adolphus’ desperate attempts to regain glory for the veterans in spite of Warden’s opposing attitude; both men fighting to instil their respective attitudes on young Wren; and of course the general impossibility of reconciling the glorified speeches and broadsheet stories with the horrific experiences actually lived through by the soldiers. This is all done so well that we’re never sure whether either side is entirely right or wrong.

The plot is fast-paced and clever; Warden has stepped up his game in the time since the events of The Straight Razor Cure - perhaps because the new events are so close to home - and he tirelessly orchestrates schemes within plots within ideas, running circles around his adversaries (and other people who just happen to get in the way). Warden is revealed to be ruthless and more cunning than suggested by the previous novel, and the way Polansky manipulates events to their inevitable fiery yet poignant conclusion is tense, exciting and masterfully done.

My rating: 4.5/5