Hughes' Fantasy Reviews 2013

Signor Finzione

Is Die Hard a Christmas film? I've never seen it as I don't like action films much, but I didn't know that. I've never seen Muppet's Christmas Carol, or any of the Muppets films to be honest. I remember seeing bits of it on TV once when I was visiting my grandparents but otherwise I don't think I've seen much of the Muppets (outside of Sesame Street). I don't consider Life of Brian really a Christmas film, at least, it doesn't make me get into a christmassy mood. I can see how it's related to Christianity, but Christmas for me has little to do with a faith I don't believe in. No offense to those who do (that's your choice :) ), but for me a Christmas mood doesn't include many references to Christianity (btw, Christmas is originally based on the winter solstice, as far as I know. Anyway..).

I look forward to see your next plan (after you've finished this one)! It'd be nice if you could finish your current one before Christmas, and start with a new one in the New Year at least. I'm already excited about making a new reading log :giggle2:. Personally I planned to read certain books this year, but I didn't meet all my targets (I did exceed my "number of books" I hoped to be reading).

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Die Hard a Christmas film? I've never seen it as I don't like action films much, but I didn't know that.

It's set at Christmas time, but that's about it really. :) I'm not a massive fan of action films either, but I do like Die Hard. (The man who plays Severus Snape is the villain :D)

I don't consider Life of Brian really a Christmas film, at least, it doesn't make me get into a christmassy mood. I can see how it's related to Christianity, but Christmas for me has little to do with a faith I don't believe in. No offense to those who do (that's your choice :) ), but for me a Christmas mood doesn't include many references to Christianity (btw, Christmas is originally based on the winter solstice, as far as I know. Anyway..).

It's mainly just the nativity scene at the beginning, where she kicks the wise men out of the stable. :giggle2: (I'm not a Christian either . . .)

I look forward to see your next plan (after you've finished this one)! It'd be nice if you could finish your current one before Christmas, and start with a new one in the New Year at least. I'm already excited about making a new reading log :giggle2:. Personally I planned to read certain books this year, but I didn't meet all my targets (I did exceed my "number of books" I hoped to be reading).

Just move the ones you didn't read onto your plan for the new year - I won't tell anyone. ;)

Review: 'The Wise Man's Fear' by Patrick Rothfuss

Rothfuss+-+WMF.jpg

My name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me.

The man was lost. The myth remained. Kvothe – the dragon-slayer, the renowned swordsman, the most feared, famed and notorious wizard the world has ever seen – vanished without warning and without trace. And even now, when he has been found, when darkness is rising in the corner of the world, he will not return.

But his story lives on and, for the first time, Kvothe is going to tell it . . .

The Wise Man’s Fear is the second instalment of The Kingkiller Chronicles, a fantasy trilogy centred on the ‘autobiographical’ tale of the protagonist, Kvothe. It picks up where The Name of the Wind left off, continuing Kvothe’s tale without much  preamble, and cleverly reminds us of key events and important information as it goes along, rather than simply dumping it all at the start.

The format of the story follows the same pattern as the previous novel: Kvothe narrates the chronological events of his younger years, and the tale is occasionally interrupted by interludes focusing on the present day. Kvothe is one of the Edema Ruh, renowned travelling performers and famed for their storytelling skills; however, the narrative is somewhat stale and rambling when compared with the previous novel, perhaps because it covers a much shorter period of his life and strings it out over a thousand pages. Roughly half the novel is an account of Kvothe’s continued shenanigans at the university: most of these are highly amusing, though others seemed tediously similar to those in the previous book.

It’s clear that the author is playing with the concept of the unreliable narrator, and Kvothe is doubly unreliable: he’s narrating his story for an audience, and it is also being set down for posterity. As such it becomes something of a fun game for the reader to question some of his assertions: for example, he claims to have learned an entire language in a day in order to successfully be acquitted at a public trial; however, he deliberately skips over this part of his story, refusing to supply details of the trial because his readers will find it boring. He later proceeds to give a long and detailed account of his time in the Fae with Felurian, during which he spends several dull chapters doing a whole lot of nothing. Kvothe’s egotistic determination to focus on the parts that he finds most interesting is no doubt a deliberate part of the author’s message about the misleading nature of stories, and the dangers of becoming a legend in your own lifetime; unfortunately, this also makes the novel significantly less compelling than its predecessor.

The Wise Man’s Fear isn’t without its strong points, though. One of Rothfuss’ biggest strengths is the ease with which he creates characters that are not only likeable, but also complex and memorable.  The Name of the Wind was almost solely focused on Kvothe; it was introspective and very much self-indulgent. In The Wise Man’s Fear, there is still plenty of this trademark self-indulgence to be found (Kvothe’s ego is not something to be easily pushed aside) but there is also a much wider awareness of the world and its inhabitants. The reader is given a distinct impression of each character no matter how infrequently that character appears in the story. We have Kilvin, the gruff yet somehow fatherly Master Artificer; Tempi, the quiet but deadly Adem mercenary; Denna, the flirtatious yet insecure con-artist-turned-musician; Bast, Kvothe’s loveable apprentice with a dark secret; Auri, the frail and flighty girl who lives beneath the university; and lots more.  Kvothe’s mentor, the enigmatic Master Elodin, has a relatively small amount of page space devoted to him, yet he is undoubtedly many readers’ favourite character, myself included. He is one of the nine Masters of the university and is more powerful in the magic of naming than most men alive; he is mischievous, brilliant, and ever-so-slightly insane; he walks on roofs, engages in petty crimes against other Masters who have offended him, and encourages his students to stand naked in thunderstorms.

My point is, it’s characters such as Elodin that make this story dance off the page, and I think this, along with the beautifully poetic narrative voice, is definitely one of the stronger aspects of The Wise Man’s Fear. Though some of the setting and events feel a little stale, and despite the fact that the plot is occasionally lacking, well, plot, The Wise Man’s Fear is an entertaining and passionate novel, and I would recommend it to those who thoroughly enjoyed The Name of the Wind.

My rating: 4/5
Edited by Signor Finzione

The reading plan is going on hold for a week or two. I've been sent a review copy of She Who Waits (Low Town #3) by Daniel Polansky, which means that I'm now going to try and charge through the first two in the series  (The Straight Razor Cure and Tomorrow the Killing) before getting around to this one. Thankfully, each book is less than half the length of the Rothfuss novel I've just ploughed through, so I'm hoping that they'll be a breath of fresh air that won't take me too long to read! :)

(The Straight Razor Cure and Tomorrow the Killing

I've just reserved a copy of The Straight Razor Cure from the Library earlier this week! Not usually keen on detective novels but the premise sounded interesting to me (great title as well)

Glad you enjoyed The Wise Man's Fear, I really didn't get on with it, it's the only book I have ever thrown across the room in frustration! I was determined to finish it but with only 100 or so pages left I had absolutely no will, nothing had happened for the previous 900 pages or in the previous book. I was just waiting for anything of the things that he boasted about to happen but they didn't. But lots of other people seem to like it so I guess i'm in the minority  :dunno:

I've just reserved a copy of The Straight Razor Cure from the Library earlier this week! Not usually keen on detective novels but the premise sounded interesting to me (great title as well)

What a coincidence! Same for me really, although Blood Promise by Brian McClellan also had some detective-type elements to it and I really enjoyed it. The title was part of what pulled me in. :)

Glad you enjoyed The Wise Man's Fear, I really didn't get on with it, it's the only book I have ever thrown across the room in frustration! I was determined to finish it but with only 100 or so pages left I had absolutely no will, nothing had happened for the previous 900 pages or in the previous book. I was just waiting for anything of the things that he boasted about to happen but they didn't. But lots of other people seem to like it so I guess i'm in the minority  :dunno:

I must say I was a bit disappointed. The Name of the Wind is the best book I've read this year, and even though it had some slow bits I thought it was just setting up the story for the exciting stuff to happen. The fact that we're STILL waiting for most of the exciting stuff to happen at the end of the second book isn't very encouraging . . . Still, I did like it, but mainly for the other characters (Elodin, Denna and Bast, mainly). Kvothe had started to do my head in by the end. :giggle2:

Strangely enough, from what I've seen most people seem to think the first book is boring but the second one is brilliant, so I guess each to their own . . . :negative:

The fact that we're STILL waiting for most of the exciting stuff to happen at the end of the second book isn't very encouraging . 

Yeah I agree, the blurb on the back on the first book should apply to the the events in the first book (or lack of them) not what will happen at the end of an unnecessarily long trilogy. I'm still bitter about it... can you tell?  :giggle2:

Strangely enough, from what I've seen most people seem to think the first book is boring but the second one is brilliant, so I guess each to their own . . . :negative:

Freaks... :blush2:

Edited by Timstar

Yeah I agree, the blurb on the back on the first book should apply to the the events in the first book (or lack of them) not what will happen at the end of an unnecessarily long trilogy. I'm still bitter about it... can you tell?  :giggle2:

Not at all, Tim, you're a closed book. :P I think I was kind of expecting the story to be almost up to date by the end of the second book, and that the third book would be mostly about events catching up with him in the present day. Hopefully that will actually happen by the end of the next book . . .

Did you hear that Fox bought the rights to a TV series? :o  There's an article here about fantasy casting for The Name of the Wind - I actually agree with a lot of them except Kvothe himself.

Freaks... :blush2:

I know, right? :giggle2:

Still can't make up my mind whether to read this or not :shrug:

I'd still definitely recommend The Name of the Wind. I thought it was brilliant - even though not much actually happens, there's just something very readable and entertaining about the prose. Obviously you'd then make up your own mind about The Wise Man's Fear based on whether you enjoyed the first one or not. :)

Not at all, Tim, you're a closed book. :P I think I was kind of expecting the story to be almost up to date by the end of the second book, and that the third book would be mostly about events catching up with him in the present day. Hopefully that will actually happen by the end of the next book . . .

Hopefully! Is it definitely only a trilogy? or is he planning to make it even longer do you know?

Did you hear that Fox bought the rights to a TV series?  :o  There's an article here about fantasy casting for The Name of the Wind - I actually agree with a lot of them except Kvothe himself

I did hear that but I hadn't seen the fantasy casting, they sound pretty good, not sure about Kvothe as well, he doesn't look quite right.

Still can't make up my mind whether to read this or not :shrug:

You mean we're not helping?  :P

Although I wouldn't recommend Name of the Wind I wouldn't discourage giving it go.

Hopefully! Is it definitely only a trilogy? or is he planning to make it even longer do you know?

As far as I know it's definitely a trilogy. Book #3 - The Doors of Stone, I think - should be out next year.

I think a good idea for the books would have been for him to leave out the non-essential bits - such as his time with the Adem and the lonnnnng weeks spent with Felurian - and maybe published them separately as a series of novellas entitled Kvothe: The Lost Pages, or some such.  

:giggle2:

Laura, have you played Deadlight? :smile:

Loved this game! I finished it in one sitting. Mind you it is short, but still was rather awesome.

:o ... :wibbly:

:cool:  :harhar:

:giggle2:

Laura, have you played Deadlight? :smile:

I've never heard of it. :o Do tell!

Loved this game! I finished it in one sitting. Mind you it is short, but still was rather awesome.

Devi, after our games discussion the other week I dug out my PS1 and had a go on the old Baldur's Gate. I'd forgotten just how brilliantly cheesy it is.  :giggle2:

Devi, after our games discussion the other week I dug out my PS1 and had a go on the old Baldur's Gate. I'd forgotten just how brilliantly cheesy it is. :giggle2:

They don't make games like they used to anymore hey. Though ins saying that I've been playing gta v lately, which feels very much like the old gta games. Crazy fun to be had.

Edited by Devi

They don't make games like they used to anymore hey. Though ins saying that I've been playing gta v lately, which feels very much like the old gta games. Crazy fun to be had.

It's interesting as well that they're re-making the original Fable. It's like game people are realising that things were better 'back in our day'. :D

Review: 'The Straight Razor Cure' (Low Town #1) by Daniel Polansky

Polansky+-+SRC.jpg

Welcome to Low Town. Here, the criminal is king. Here, people can disappear, and the lacklustre efforts of the guard ensure that they are never found.

Warden is an ex-soldier who has seen the worst men have to offer; now a narcotics dealer with a rich, bloody past and a way of inviting danger. You’d struggle to find someone with a soul as dark and troubled as his.

But then a missing child, murdered and horribly mutilated, is discovered in an alley. And then another. With a mind as sharp as a blade and an old but powerful friend in the city, Warden’s the only man with a hope of finding the killer.

If the killer doesn’t find him first.

Let me start by saying that The Straight Razor Cure is unlike most books I typically read. While it’s classed as fantasy, it actually comes across as more of a crime noir that just happens to be set in a secondary world – and this is by no means a bad thing. The novel combines different elements of various genres: we have a former detective investigating the crimes of a sinister serial killer, underlying messages about class division, a grimdark setting, and a few aspects of traditional high fantasy, such as magic. It’s fresh and interesting, and an additional dark undertone is provided by the numerous parallels between Polansky’s fictional universe and our own world.

The world itself is fairly vivid and well-realised: the majority of Low Town is dirty and ugly – as are many of its inhabitants – and it is rife with moral and physical corruption. It’s full of drugs, murder, organised crime and bigotry, and the author effectively uses the first person narration of the main character to implicate the reader in various kinds of casual and normalised delinquency.

The protagonist is very much an anti-hero, the sort of character that is common in this sort of ‘low’ or ‘grimdark’ (or maybe just ‘grim’) fantasy. Warden is an ex-soldier and former investigator who has fallen on hard times due to an unspecified incident, which makes him somewhat enigmatic. He is a drug dealer; he has a tough exterior, and his morals are questionable at best. But his conscience (and more often the conscience of his best friend Adolphus) generally prods him into doing the right thing, even if he can’t help but break a few heads (and arms, and legs, and ribs, and necks) along the way.

On our way through the story we learn a few things about our protagonist’s history. This is very well done, as it’s not over-emphasised; rather, the author feeds us bits of backstory that are relevant to the plot, while withholding key information about Warden’s personal history for future novels. I must admit I’m curious to learn more about his early life with the Crane and about his time as a member of the ‘frost’, particularly since he doesn’t dwell overmuch on himself and his memories.

The plot was fairly even-paced for the most part, perhaps representing the initial lethargy of Warden, though there are enough moments of surprise and gruesomeness to keep the reader sufficiently intrigued. It picks up the pace marvellously towards the end, however, and the twist ending – although not entirely unexpected – is an exciting resolution to the story. Overall this is an impressive debut novel, and I’m looking forward to seeing more of Warden in future Low Town novels.

My rating: 4/5

Sounds interesting, Laura, thanks for the review :smile:

Other reviews seem to suggest that the next book is even better, so I'm looking forward to my foray into the rest of the series. :) (Although the author told me that 'It all goes downhill after the first one', so I guess I'll wait and see :giggle2: .)