Hughes' Fantasy Reviews 2013

Signor Finzione

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are - the two cheekiest dwarves, of course. :D (The kitties are girls, but the names suit them anyway.)

It's funny, because the original plan was for me to get three guinea pigs, which I was going to call Bifur, Bofur and Bombur (more dwarves!). Then it changed to kittens, and Fili and Kili suited them better. :giggle2:

So, it’s the end of the year, which means we’re all duty-bound to create lists that categorise the stuff we’ve read during the last twelve months. I’m only going to be counting those books I’ve read since September:  that’s when I set up my blog, joined this forum, and started rating and reviewing books.

So:

Top authors discovered in 2013:

1.       Patrick Rothfuss (The Kingkiller Chronicles)

2.       Mark Lawrence (The Broken Empire trilogy)

3.       Brent Weeks (the Night Angel trilogy/the Lightbringer series)

4.       John Gwynne (The Faithful and the Fallen)

5.       Brian McClellan (The Powder Mage trilogy)

Top 5 new reads of 2013:

1.       The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

2.       The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks

3.       King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

4.       She Who Waits by Daniel Polansky

5.       Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Most enjoyable re-read of 2013:

The Lies of Locke Lamora/Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

Top 5 most anticipated releases of 2014:

1.       Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence

2.       The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks

3.       The Thorn of Emberlain by Scott Lynch

4.       Valour by John Gwynne

5.       The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan

Statistic (just the one :lol: )

1. Books read since September: 21

I'll be starting a new reading log soon, and I imagine this one will be sent to live on a farm, but I just want to say thanks to those people who joined in with this thread, which I think are mainly Steve, Tim, Gaia, Devi and VF. Even though I started very late in the year, you've all made me feel very welcome, and I've enjoyed the conversations we've had on here. I look forward to more of the same in 2014. :D

Note: even though I thoroughly enjoyed Waylander by David Gemmell, I didn’t finish it until after I’d thought about these lists – so I’m counting it towards next years’ reading. :)

Edited by Signor Finzione

Top authors discovered in 2013:

1.       Patrick Rothfuss (The Kingkiller Chronicles)

Top 5 new reads of 2013:

1.       The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Hmm, I think you're trying to tell me something :giggle2:  

Note: even though I thoroughly enjoyed Waylander by David Gemmell, I didn’t finish it until after I’d thought about these lists – so I’m counting it towards next years’ reading. :)

That's okay, you'll have read Sword in the Storm by then  :D 

Hmm, I think you're trying to tell me something :giggle2:  

Honestly, I thought it was BRILLIANT. :D However, I know Tim was underwhelmed, and my dad thought it was drawn-out and boring, so maybe I'm in the minority. I honestly don't know what you'd make of it - but I think you should try it. :lol:

Honestly, I thought it was BRILLIANT. :D However, I know Tim was underwhelmed, and my dad thought it was drawn-out and boring, so maybe I'm in the minority. I honestly don't know what you'd make of it - but I think you should try it. :lol:

The majority on amazon seem to agree with you, but there are others like me out there :D I just kept thinking I must be missing something... :shrug:

Edited by Timstar

The majority on amazon seem to agree with you, but there are others like me out there :D I just kept thinking I must be missing something... :shrug:

I think maybe it's about connecting with the main character - if you don't really like Kvothe, or the narrative voice, I guess there's no chance of liking the book either.

Another thing is that I sat down and read The Name of the Wind solidly over a couple of days, whereas my dad read it in fits and starts. I think it's the kind of book that needs lots of time and attention devoted to it, and I think that's why I didn't enjoy book 2 as much. :shrug: (That, and the fact that he spends about 200 pages in the Faeland learning sex from a random goddess. :lol: )

You're so contrary! :giggle2:

Hang on, you liked it, Tim didn't, I haven't read it, and I'm the contrary one? :lol:

(Did it work? Will you read it?? :D)

Yes I will, when there's a date for the release of the third one  :smile: