What's up in September?

Kell

September already! The kids are pretty much all back at school (cue the cheers of millions of parents - LOL!) and the weather is beginning to cool down a little (cue the cheers of pregnant women everywhere!).

It's going to be a busy time for me - moving house, preparing to move AGAIN, getting Xan settles into a SECOND new school, preparing for the arrival of our new baby - it's exhausting! Good job it's worth it!

Hope everyone else is doing well. What are you up to today?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got up early this morning and went out for a about an hour on my bike. It's considered polite for cyclists to give a friendly nod or wave as they pass each other (i go for the wave personally). Everyone responded to my greetings except for one miserable git who I happened to pass twice, ahh well his loss.

I've got to brave the supermarket in a bit and then I'm off to bed for a few hours as I'm working tonight :angry:  Hopefully I'll manage to squeeze in a bit of reading along the way.

Sounds like a busy time, Kell. Good luck!

Brian, I think it's nice that you're being friendly with people. Some people are just grumpy gits I guess. Even with my disability, I try to smile at people or greet them, in passing. Good luck with work, I hope you can do some reading later today.

I'm resting after what's been a tiring time, however it's not been easy because my family is around quite a bit (and they tire me). Today my grandparents are visiting for my brother's birthday, not particularly excited about that (we celebrated his birthday with some other family last weekend), because it'll be tiring (and I just saw them last Monday). Another, minor reason is that I want to catch up on what I missed during my holidays, most specifically tiring, YouTube videos (mainly of people talking about books). So I watch some now and then, when I feel allright. But mainly my family is tiring me. Hopefully with some more rest etc. I'll feel better. I'm not saying I don't like my family, I do, I love them all, it's just that resting goes slower when I spend quite a bit of time with them. So I try to keep my time with them a bit shorter (ie. after we're all done with dinner I get up rather than spend another half an hour talking with them), but I feel guilty for having to tell them, I'm tired so I'm going to leave now.

This week there is a bookfair so we'll be going there (I'm quite excited about it). My boyfriend and I also plan to go into town (if he feels up for it). We wanted to do so last week but he was ill (and because of that he decided to stay longer, that's a positive outcome of it, I feel bad he got ill but I'm very happy he's staying here a bit longer). Also next weekend is the read-a-thon so I'm excited for that too.

O's and I have been down in the front garden this morning.  As we haven't really done anything with it since we moved in it's more like a jungle so we thought it would be best to try and cut some of it back before the horrid weather sets in.  The garden is quite odd as it's across the road from the house and it's very long, dropping down to a brook at the bottom.  I managed to get quite a way down, further than I've ever been since we bought it, although I think it was still only about half way! 

So we've done a few hours of hacking down/cutting back/scraping away and most of it is back to a manageable height again.  There's still a lot more to cut away and various small trees to uproot, courtesy of the enormous Ash tree our neighbour has, which has been dropping seeds. 

After all that, I'm looking forward to a nice long soak in the bath and curling up on the sofa with my book.

The new series of Strictly Come Dancing starts this week, so I've spent most of the weekend getting my website updated and ready to go.  Managed to find time to bake a cake yesterday afternoon, which has gone down a treat today, and now catching up with the Spanish football.  A little bit of reading done today, but not that much, and I know I'm getting close to the time of year when it'll take a backseat, so probably only have a few weeks of decent time for reading left.  Can't quite believe the summer is almost over, and this weekend has gone especially quickly! :D

Was going to post this in the August thread, but it was closed so will be here

Here's some photos from when we got married on the 30th - was a really great day - very relaxed and just us and some of our closest friends :)

Now that is over and done with I will be busy finishing up work here, and starting my new job on the 9th. I think I get a replacement in for me tomorrow so I can train her up, but it's going to be a busy next four days!

%2521married.jpg  %2521married2.jpg

thank you very much - I really love those two pictures from the day - with my closest friends and my husband (!) still waiting for the photographers photos to come through, so hopefully there will be some nice ones there too!

Carelia - agree with the other posts, beautiful photos.

Bought a peck of Honeycrisp apples at the orchard 2 weeks ago. They picked the apples too early and they were "sour" (they are supposed to be sweet and crisp). We ate them anyway  but it was like eating green apples.

This past weekend the daily rain has let up, so we're back up to low to mid 90'sF.  We'd had a break for a couple of weeks with daily rain keeping the temps down in the upper 80'sF.  Still humid too.  It's been quiet, and quiet is good. :)

I'm feeling embarrassed. I just got out of the shower when there was someone at the door. I quickly threw on an old (unfitting) robe and I had a towel on my head (wrapped around my hair), and opened up the door. I feel rather embarrassed now, I probably looked ridiculous :blush:!

Here's some photos from when we got married on the 30th - was a really great day - very relaxed and just us and some of our closest friends :)

Now that is over and done with I will be busy finishing up work here, and starting my new job on the 9th. I think I get a replacement in for me tomorrow so I can train her up, but it's going to be a busy next four days!

%2521married.jpg  %2521married2.jpg

Congratulations on your special day Carelia! :) You look beautiful x

I'm feeling embarrassed. I just got out of the shower when there was someone at the door. I quickly threw on an old (unfitting) robe and I had a towel on my head (wrapped around my hair), and opened up the door. I feel rather embarrassed now, I probably looked ridiculous :blush:!

We've all done that .. I've frightened the postman many a time :D Was it someone you knew Athena?

I haven't  written on this thread for me, but It has been an eventful couple of weeks - it all seems to have gone in a bit of a blur. 

The main thing is though that we went to see my sister for the first time in 2 1/2 years. We were best friends growing up together, but since she was diagnosed with schizophrenia in the late 80's it has slowly gone from bad to worse. It got to the point 2 1/12 years ago that we had to cut off contact with her altogether in order to preserve our own sanity. That was probably the most difficult decision I have ever had to make, that tore my heart into what felt like 1000 pieces. Only Coran knows what I really felt about that and it is only thanks to her that I managed to get through what were some very dark times indeed.  She now though has an amazing team behind her, who for the first time since she became ill took the time to actually explain to us properly what her illness means. I am hopeful then that we have finally turned a corner.    

The other thing is that I did a sponsored walk today with a group of 10 other people from work for Help for Heroes. We walked 8 1/2 miles from the care home near Guildford where I work all the way to Headley Court in a little over 3 1/2 hours. Considering how unfit I thought a lot of us were this was a remarkable achievement. I am more used to it than some, but my calves are certainly feeling it now, as it was uphill for most of the way and pouring with rain. I am not sure how much we raised - we will have to count it all up and send the cheque on to them in due course. I feel really proud of myself though for doing that.       

Moving day for Xan and me today (hubby will follow in a couple of weeks) so I won't be around much for a while as I don't know how often I'll be able to get online, what with moving TWICE and having a new baby coming very soon, but I'll check in when I can.

Happy reading, everyone! :)

Hi!! I'm new here!! September for me is a sadly month because I finish my holidays, the 16th I starting the third year in my degree and is the end of summer!!!!

Carelia congratulations!!! you're a very cute couple!!

I don't know if I've met you yet, Carelia, but congrats on your wedding!!  Ditto on the lovelyness :D

Good luck with everything you've got on your plate, Kell!

I hope you can start seeing your sister again, June - it's very encouraging for you, I'm sure, to see that she has such a great support system.

It's been so long since I've posted, you guys, so forgive me!  My family has gone home and my mom has just returned from a reunion up in Canada.  Today is the 1 year anniversary of my step-father's death and it's unbelievable how fast the time has gone by.  It was at the same reunion last year that he had his heart attack so this year it was bittersweet yet mom was so appreciative of her time there because she was surrounded by family :)

Thursday I have my left wrist carpal tunnel surgery scheduled, so I won't be online for awhile after that!  I'm on leave from work until the 23rd, so we'll see how well I do with the typing after that ;)  I'm just glad it's finally getting done since last December I ended up getting the chicken pox and had to cancel the surgery!

Anyway, I hope to post loads this week before the big day so talk to everyone soon!

PS: Muggle, that's a shame about the Honey Crisp!  They're not out yet up here but aren't they a MN-bred apple?  Or MN-concocted breed, I should say.  Yum!

Peacefield - Hope the surgery goes well and you have a quick recovery.

Yes, the honeycrisp was concocted in MN. It is one of my favorites. I was going to buy a half bushel, good thing I didn't. :smile:

Edited by muggle not

Thanks, Muggle!

They are one of my favorite apples too.  I was at the farmer's market this morning and they said they were expecting them soon from the University.  What a cool thing to make up new apples! :lol:

I hope you get perfectly-tasting ones soon!