Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have seen the film and read the book and in my opinion the book was better.  The movie was a very good rendition of it, there was also an excellent mini-series adapted from the book with Alec Guinness that was excellent.

But yes, the book is better (actually between the book, Mini-Series, and Movie I would put the movie as the 3rd if I was ranking them).

I have seen the film and read the book and in my opinion the book was better.  The movie was a very good rendition of it, there was also an excellent mini-series adapted from the book with Alec Guinness that was excellent.

But yes, the book is better (actually between the book, Mini-Series, and Movie I would put the movie as the 3rd if I was ranking them).

I have to agree with this comment. It may be an 'age' thing however, I don't know. I usually prefer the book [rather than any film] because it captures all the  nuances, thoughts etc.So, yes, the book, the tv series then the recent film in that order.

The truth is, I believe one has to read all of the Smiley books to get the full flavor of the story.  The film kind of explains some of the back story not in the lone book TTSS.

Here is a list of the Smiley books.....

Call For the Dead

A Murder of Quality

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold

The Looking Glass War

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

The Honorable School Boy

Smiley's People

The Secret Pilgrim

I haven't read them all yet, only the first three, but pretty much know the story.

That's an awful lot of books Pontalba! :readingtwo:

LOL  But only about a third or so of LeCarre's books!  Smiley is a wonderful character.  My husband has read all of LeCarre's books, and thinks of them as the Gold Standard of spy novels.  I think he is right. :D

I've read the first three on pontalba's list and have TTSS to read next (I'm skipping The Looking Glass War because Smiley is only a minor character in that novel - as far as I understand it, anyway!).

I plan on reading TTSS when I've finished Game of Thrones.

I've read the first three on pontalba's list and have TTSS to read next (I'm skipping The Looking Glass War because Smiley is only a minor character in that novel - as far as I understand it, anyway!).

I plan on reading TTSS when I've finished Game of Thrones.

That may well be Raven, I'm not sure.  But the thing I'd consider is the back stories.  Even if Smiley is not in it that much, all the events would affect the stories afterwards.

Hello,

I just saw film Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Is the book by John le Carré as good as film?

Libor

I haven't seen the Film but many people have recommended it to me!

My opinion is that a lot of books could never really compare to the movies.  It's a whole different world trying to capture every single detail.

That may well be Raven, I'm not sure.  But the thing I'd consider is the back stories.  Even if Smiley is not in it that much, all the events would affect the stories afterwards.

According to Wikipedia, John Le Carré changed Smiley's back story when he wrote TTSS because his original back story would have made him to old to still be working as a spy in the seventies.  I don't know how much of an effect that has between books.

According to Wikipedia, John Le Carré changed Smiley's back story when he wrote TTSS because his original back story would have made him to old to still be working as a spy in the seventies.  I don't know how much of an effect that has between books.

That's true.  Oh, I guess I just have a "thing" about reading in order... :blush2:  :smile:  I'm always nervous I'll miss something!  :giggle2:

I think I've only read the last 3 excluding the 8th book. I seem to remember them jumping round in time. I only seem to remember the

ksb,penknife plotline and the plot they used in the film, as in the person who had the affair, was the spy.

Edited by dex

LOL  But only about a third or so of LeCarre's books!  Smiley is a wonderful character.  My husband has read all of LeCarre's books, and thinks of them as the Gold Standard of spy novels.  I think he is right. :D

Yes, Le Carre certainly understood the workings of MI5 and MI6 as he worked for the depts himself, the agents in the field stuff he made up , but he captures the infighting and office politicking really well. It's very British stuff! I do think that Len Deighton is another master of this genre [Funeral In Berlin, The Ipcress File etc.]

Yes, Le Carre certainly understood the workings of MI5 and MI6 as he worked for the depts himself, the agents in the field stuff he made up , but he captures the infighting and office politicking really well. It's very British stuff! I do think that Len Deighton is another master of this genre [Funeral In Berlin, The Ipcress File etc.]

I like Deighton  as well. 

Have you read any of Charles McCarry?