What's up in July?

frankie

Some photos of my  flowers and garden.

002 - Turk Cap Lily ......it is actually much prettier and a brighter orange than what the photo shows

005 - 2013........coneflowers and Daisies

003...................vegetable garden and zinnias - cucumbers are on the trellis - canteloupe on the ground are taking over the garden and vining up the tomato plants

001 - 2013 ......another photo of the vegetable garden

007 - Limelight Hydrangea - it is just starting to bloom and less than 1/4 of the flowers are open. We have 3 of the Limelight Hydrangea (3 sides of the house)

Edited by muggle not

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely Muggle!! Just love the Limelight Hydrangea, they are such a nice shape, even the leaves are different. I love hydrangeas, my grandparents used to have a hedge of them and the smell still reminds me of holidays I spent with them as a child. I have a couple of the ordinary ones beneath a large old camellia tree but was wondering how well they would grow next to roses. The roses are in a sunny position, so not sure if it would be too much for hydrangeas. You say you have them on three sides of the house, do any of them get a lot of sun?

The one in the photo gets sun most of the day. One of the others gets sun and shade and the third gets a little sun and mostly shade. All three do well. Only difference is that the two not in the photo are just now forming their blooms while the one in the sun is ahead of them. The Limelight Hydrangea is a fast grower and I strongly recommend it for a planting. I prune it late fall each year. I planted the first one and loved it so well that I bought another and then another. :)

I will post another photo of this hydrangea when it is in mostly full bloom and maybe also  a photo of the other two a little later on.

@ muggle

You have a beautiful garden!

We're having some warm days, inside though it's nice and colder so if we get warm, we can go inside. Normally we'd also use our pool, but it's broken unfortunately. I never use it a lot myself but it would've still been nice for everyone else (and possibly me if I got too warm and felt like swimming and braving the colder water).

Only two days to go now, until uni is over! Tomorrow is my presentation. I'm having trouble anticipating of how I'll feel when it's over, I think I'll either be very ectatic or very tired. It also may take a little while to sink in, I'm not sure.

Most places do have air-conditioning now....I do at home, but not central a/c....just a wall unit....but I'll take what I can get.  I can tolerate the high temps, but it's the humidity that makes it completely oppressive...just hot dead air.  Very unhealthy too.  And it's been like this for several weeks.

Muggle, love that garden :D

Most places do have air-conditioning now....I do at home, but not central a/c....just a wall unit....but I'll take what I can get.  I can tolerate the high temps, but it's the humidity that makes it completely oppressive...just hot dead air.  Very unhealthy too.  And it's been like this for several weeks.

Muggle, love that garden :D

Are you getting a lot of rain in Conn.? We have had rain 28 days out of the last 37 days and are now 8 inches above normal for the year to date. The Forecast is for it to rain every day this week, we shall see.

I am supplying the neighborhood with cucumbers.

Edited by muggle not

The Hydrangea is so pretty. Great photographs muggle.

I do however know Hydrangeas as 'Hi, Strangers'. This is what happens when you grow up with a batty parent! :giggle2:

My aunt used to grow Hydragenias, no one ever corrected her as we all knew what she meant. :smile:

Has anyone else seen the picture of the statue of D'Arcy of Pride & Prejudice emerging from the Serpentine?  I think Colin Firth looked a lot better.   :D

Awww sorry to hear that Claire .. lemon and honey any good? (hey .. you didn't do the read-a-thon out loud did you? ;)) Hope it clears up and you feel better soon :empathy: 

It is so hot today .. I'm boiled .. you could probably fry an egg on me :D I've tried sitting in the garden but it's too hot .. I've tried sitting inside but it's too hot (we have just about got used to having a/c as standard in our cars :giggle:  .. Lord knows how long it would take to have it in our homes and anyway .. it'd be like that barbecue I bought last year .. hardly ever used.) It's a shame really that you wait ages for good weather and then when it comes you can't enjoy it. This evening it will be lovely to sit outside .. I've had a Pimms and may very well have another :blush2: I've hardly done a thing .. I thought about doing one or two things but that in itself wore me out :D

Are you getting a lot of rain in Conn.? We have had rain 28 days out of the last 37 days and are now 8 inches above normal for the year to date. The Forecast is for it to rain every day this week, we shall see.

I am supplying the neighborhood with cucumbers.

we have gotten more than our fair share of rain...but usually with storms.  Heavy heavy downpours, then nothing.  Crazy weather.  Little too early for cukes here...but have had some delicious lettuce and arugula

We are experiencing a real heat wave here at the moment - on Sunday in Surrey where I am, it hit 30 degrees, and today was no better. This sort of weather is fine if you work in an air conditioned office or even a shop that is open to the air, but not if like me you have to work in a care home with radiators in some areas that cannot be switched off, and especially not if you also have to wear long trousers, a polyester top and trainers to do your work. :7_mad:  

A couple of weeks ago, when it was also very hot, the bosses made a great fuss about me not wearing a bra - the only way they knew about this in the first place was because someone snitched on me, as you definitely cannot see a thing. In temperatures like this though, there is no way I am going to wear one, so in order to keep them happy and still stay at least a bit cooler, today I undid it.  :giggle2:   I will do the same tomorrow, and every day until it gets cooler, as I reserve the right to be comfortable. It is in their interests really, as the more comfortable I am, the more productive I am likely to be. I only have three more working days until my holiday anyway, and then I won't have to worry it about for 2 1/2 weeks. It is supposed to get a bit cooler by the middle of the week, with the heat set to return by Friday (the day I go), so I should get a good start to my time off. My sun cream and aloe gel will needless to say be going with me - along with a heavily loaded Kindle. :smile:   

I do however know Hydrangeas as 'Hi, Strangers'. This is what happens when you grow up with a batty parent! :giggle2:

Mother or father? :D Glad I'm not the only one then, I can't help saying ' 'Ullo Vera! Gotta new motor?' when I see my Aloe Vera plant.

Flash floods in Toronto and the surrounding area tonight, train which runs from Toronto to points west stopped on the tracks because of water, occupants had to move to the upper level because of the height of the water.  The passengers were eventually being rescued from the train and taken to locations where they could get the bus to their destination.  The subway was halted because of flooding and there were power outages all over the city.  Many travellers from Toronto were unable to get home and will have to stay overnight in hotels in the city.  Lots of pictures of submerged cars - a real mess.  We were lucky to escape the big storm, just got heavy rainfall which didn't last long.  Been really strange weather for July.

Oh dear MrsMac, that's sounds like an awful lot of water! I hope all stay safe. :smile:

Poppy, it is my Mum - she is definitely the battier of my parents, although Dad can have his moments! :D It's from my Mum that I also know a few Irish love ballads from when she would sing them doing the washing up!

Edited by Chrissy

I have no more work now for 17 whole days, as I am off to Lundy again this weekend. It will be my first 2 week summer holiday there in 4 years, and it will be good to see all my old friends again. I have downloaded 8 books for company. :readingtwo:

Edited by Talisman

Cough isn't quite as bad now, and my voice is coming back slowly, and generally feeling a bit better now.  Coping remarkably well with the weather considering I'm not a summer person, but looking forward to the weekend already.  Windows open and fan on at night though in order to cool the bedroom down enough to sleep. :cool:

I was anticipating watching the cricket at the weekend, but can't see the game lasting that long at the rate England are going! :lol:

I'm currently sitting at my desk at work eating my lunch whilst the Red Arrows perform above me. 

It's very nice of them and all, but a bit OTT for just a pasta salad . . .

Have you been playing with your semaphore flags at work again? :giggle2:

I have had an exciting morning - we had chimney pot covers put on. We have had occasional 'drop ins' down our chimneys where a bird has decided to sit on our chimneys and have suddenly drop down them. Today we cured the problem. They do look pretty, like little metal minarets. :D