Maths Help (Percentages).

Ben

Okay, this isn't homework (I do a literature degree, hence why I'm not great at percentages. *laughs*) I just need to know how to do it so I

can work some things out. However, if the thread isn't appropriate mods feel free to delete.

Right. Percentages.

If I had, say, two separate totals, 68 + 70. The first of these is 25% of the final 'mark', the second 75%.

Now how do I work out the average 'mark' from there?

Confused doesn't cover it right now..

Ben, my maths is pretty rusty, but I think I've got it right (might pay to double check with someone else though)

'Of ' in fractions means multiply (sorry if you already know this and I'm stating the obvious) so .....

25% of 68

= 25/100 x 68/1

= 17

75% of 70

=75/100 x 70/1

=52.5

If you add those together, you get 69.5, so that should be your average score.

But it does seem a confusing way of marking, especially for Literature degree students :giggle2:

I tried doing it like that but I thought that I was wrong. I don't know what I was trying to do to be honest.. maybe I should try sleeping now and again. :mellow:

Thanks for helping! :friends3:

Edited by Ben

Poppy, reading your post just transported me back to GCSE maths! (Scary place! :giggle2: ) I agree with your answer too.

Ben, if 68 and 70 are the results you got then very well done! That's excellent news! :smile:

Sleeping might still be a good idea though, just think what you could do if you weren't sleep deprived! :giggle:

Anything over 1 (68/1 or 70/1) is itself, you don't need the /1!

The easiest way to find 25% of anything is to just divide the original number by 4.

I was aware of that Raven, but thank you for your imput. If you are working with fractions on paper, that is the easiest way to do it, it allows you to reduce numbers to their lowest terms.

Perhaps I should have just said 'Break out the calculator and slap in 25% of 68  ...'etc