Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2013

Little Pixie

Pixie 

I'll charge mine up completely this weekend and then turn off the Wi-Fi hookup, the light down to dim and see how long I can read before the battery croaks . I don't use it to read on for any length of time . I like the PW better for that. It's much lighter and handy dandy for reading ,but I love the Fire for videos, etc . I know it sucks the battery life out much faster if you use it for videos . That's usually why I have the charger plugged in all the time and mainly use it while plugged in .

Maybe we can compare notes to see if our times match up fairly close .

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pixie 

I'll charge mine up completely this weekend and then turn off the Wi-Fi hookup, the light down to dim and see how long I can read before the battery croaks . I don't use it to read on for any length of time . I like the PW better for that. It's much lighter and handy dandy for reading ,but I love the Fire for videos, etc . I know it sucks the battery life out much faster if you use it for videos . That's usually why I have the charger plugged in all the time and mainly use it while plugged in .

Maybe we can compare notes to see if our times match up fairly close .

It`s a plan ! Excellent idea. :D

I find the Fire so handy for ` Ooh, I`ll just quickly look that up ` browsing, or getting help with a crossword clue. :smile:

I may have bought more books - but they`re used books, so they hardly count, since giving a homeless book a new home .. blah blah, more book-buying excuses here. ;)

Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Laini Taylor   I almost bought The Bone Season oslt, but was tempted by this instead.

The Body in the Belfry - Katherine Hall Page    The first in a whodunnit cosy mystery series.

Still Life - Louise Penny    Canadian whodunnit.

Friday the rabbi slept late - Harry Kemelman

I own Daughter of Smoke and Bone but I haven't read it yet. I'm always hesistant to start a series when it's not finished yet. I don't know the other three, I hope you enjoy all the books :)!

Part of me feels bad for adding to my TBR... But most of me is thinking, Yay ! More booksies !! :blush2:  ;)

Ok Pixie

Here are my results , reading on the Fire , no internet on, the back light down below half .

I was able to read for approx. .7 hrs , 35 minutes til the battery was showing a low level ( about 15 % ) I just now plugged it back in to charge again .

I have the 1st Generation Fire, where you probably have the 2nd ? since you just got yours not too long ago , right ?

So your battery life will probably be better than mine . The Hubster has the 2nd one and his battery does seem to last a bit longer than mine .

Ok Pixie

Here are my results , reading on the Fire , no internet on, the back light down below half .

I was able to read for approx. .7 hrs , 35 minutes til the battery was showing a low level ( about 15 % ) I just now plugged it back in to charge again .

I have the 1st Generation Fire, where you probably have the 2nd ? since you just got yours not too long ago , right ?

So your battery life will probably be better than mine . The Hubster has the 2nd one and his battery does seem to last a bit longer than mine .

Thanks so much, Julie. :D

I bought my Kindle Fire about 5 weeks ago ; I don`t know if that`s still First Gen., `cos we got the Kindle Fire`s a while after the US got them, I think. I`ve started reading with it today, and so far, it`s averaging around 4 mins for 1 %.

So, if that keeps up, it would be just under 6 hours for the 85% charge. I`ve kept the lighting at factory settings. :smile:

I shall keep you informed... :D

Oh look, more books. :blush2:

I went into  the Save the Kitties shop today ; they`ve had a revamp and the books are now in a separate place upstairs ( think low ceilings, low windows and black beams, I think 16th C ). And the books are...

The Fourth Treasure - Todd Shimoda           Novel involving calligraphy.

Fanged and Fabulous - Michelle Rowen        Looks fun, like True Blood.

A Dubious Legacy - Mary Wesley

The Golden Notebook - Doris Lessing               Not read any of her work, looks like a good place to start. BTW, it was shelved under Chick Lit. ;)

Here Comes the Sun, Flying Dutch - Tom Holt

The Casual Vacancy - JK Rowling

The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton

Deception on his Mind - Elizabeth George

We were the Mulvaneys - Joyce Carol Oates

Murder at the Laurels - Lesley Cookman

White Corridor - Christopher Fowler

The Fifth Witness - Michael Connelly

Ooh, my Tom Holt books are signed copies. :D

A little scrap of paper fell out of one of the books saying ` signed copy` ( and then I realised I could look in Google images for his signature to check... :blush2: ).  

Edited by Little Pixie

Pixie

sounds like you killed 2 birds with one stone.

You saved the kitties

and

you saved the books .

I've read the Mulvaneys one and liked it . Oates has a really wide range of writing  skills . Mulvaneys is like a family saga I guess you'd call it .

Hope you enjoy them all !

Keep on stacking them up, you may catch up with some of the others in here. I know I never will . I delete mine after reading them ,but the list gets bigger pretty fast ,since I buy faster than I read .

People have been killed by their stacks of books you know......

I imagine it would be cosy under all those books... ;)

Or are you saying that stacking them up makes them go all zombie and they come after the person who hasn`t got round to reading them yet ?? :o  :hide:

Edited by Little Pixie

Pixie

sounds like you killed 2 birds with one stone.

You saved the kitties

and

you saved the books .

The woman in the shop actually thanked me for buying that many books and helping the kitties - aw. I did tell her that the books would eventually make their way back to the shop ( except for the ones which I can`t bear to part with ) , though the actual ` reading books - not wanting to keep them - getting them back to the shop` bit is going rather slowly. I do have 5 or 6 books by the front door waiting to go out, but those are duplicates.  

I've read the Mulvaneys one and liked it . Oates has a really wide range of writing  skills . Mulvaneys is like a family saga I guess you'd call it .

Hope you enjoy them all !

Keep on stacking them up, you may catch up with some of the others in here. I know I never will . I delete mine after reading them ,but the list gets bigger pretty fast ,since I buy faster than I read .

I haven`t read any of her work, but keep coming across mentions of her in the Sunday papers` books` section.

Do you stick to Kindle then for reading ? I don`t take mine out of the house, so lately I`ve been reading paper books out of the house, then coming inside to finish them off - and neglecting my Kindle. The battery`s only down to 70% now.

I`m not sure about this `catching up ` business ; my brain can`t comprehend that happening. :giggle:

Pixie

Yes, I use my Kindle almost all the time ,unless I occasionally pick up a library book .  I don't deal well with tons of books stacked around waiting for me to read them ,so the Kindle works out well for me. I can put as many as I want on it, but they aren't staring me in the face waiting to be read. You can sorta keep them hidden in the Kindle ,and only take a look through when looking for something new to read .