Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2013

Little Pixie

I read quite a few Mary Stewart books years ago, and found them really good reads.  I don't think that was one of them, though, so if I come across it I will pick it up I think; it sounds very entertaining. :)

I bought a whole bunch of Mary Stewart books on the Book People ; it`s probably cheaper to buy all ten of them than buy Madam, will you talk ? separately in a bookshop. ;)  Oh, and Amazon has an excerpt.

I`ve read two of her books now, and am astonished that I didn`t come across her until recently - she`s a marvellous author. :smile:

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`m enjoying them so much that I was forced to buy even more of them. :giggle2:  I think I have up to Book 17 in my TBR pile. The whodunnit aspect is strong and holds my attention, but I`m really reading them for the likeability of Brunetti and his family, plus the lovely descriptions of Venetian life. :D

17? Haha :) I didn't even know Leon had written that many :)

I'm so happy to see Mary Stewart being read again!  She set quite a few, as I recall, on the islands of Greece.  Beautiful descriptions of the land and the sea. 

The first book I read of hers was set in Greece. :D

I just looked her up on wiki and now find that we both went to the same University ( several years apart ;) ).

Book # 82    The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown       TBR 700

Amazon Synopsis :

The Capitol Building, Washington DC: Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon believes he is here to give a lecture. He is wrong. Within minutes of his arrival, a shocking object is discovered. It is a gruesome invitation into an ancient world of hidden wisdom.

When Langdon's mentor, Peter Solomon - prominent mason and philanthropist - is kidnapped, Langdon realizes that his only hope of saving his friend's life is to accept this mysterious summons.

It is to take him on a breathless chase through Washington's dark history. All that was familiar is changed into a shadowy, mythical world in which Masonic secrets and never-before-seen revelations seem to be leading him to a single impossible and inconceivable truth...

Good thriller, with some interesting research and some really jaw-dropping, OMG moments. The story races along cinematically wiith some strong visuals which stick in your mind.  The only problem I had with it was the ending - there are several. ;)  There`s a decent, exciting ending, then 30-40 pages of more endings, which rather spoiled it for me. :smile:

I noticed you are into doing ratings? Which made me wonder: are you on Goodreads? Or LibraryThing? :) If not, there's another world out there for you to catalogue your books and enjoy all that type of fun :)

I`m not on those ; I`m still finding my way round this Board. :blush2:  Thanks for the heads-up. :smile:

I find it difficult to rate books ; I tend to think of them as `really good`, `good` and `readable enough`. It takes a lot for me to think `meh`. :giggle2:

I`m not on those ; I`m still finding my way round this Board. :blush2:  Thanks for the heads-up. :smile:

I find it difficult to rate books ; I tend to think of them as `really good`, `good` and `readable enough`. It takes a lot for me to think `meh`. :giggle2:

Okay :D Well it definitely saves you the trouble of having to decide :)

I was going through the bargain bucket of BD and noticed there was a Mary Stewart book there, one called The Wicked Day, and I remembered seeing you and pontalba talking about her books. If you're interested, it's almost half price :)

Okay :D Well it definitely saves you the trouble of having to decide :)

I was going through the bargain bucket of BD and noticed there was a Mary Stewart book there, one called The Wicked Day, and I remembered seeing you and pontalba talking about her books. If you're interested, it's almost half price :)

Ooh, thank you. :D  I haven`t looked at any of her Merlin-y books. ponder.gif

The Wicked Day is the 4th and last Merlin book.  It follows the Merlin Trilogy, which includes The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment.

The Wicked Day is my least favorite as it doesn't have much of Merlin in it, and, not to give any spoilers, but is The End.  So to speak.

It would not be overstating to say I loved, loved, loved the Trilogy, itself.

I wonder if the Mary Stewart books went out of print for a while?  I certainly don't remember seeing any for years and years.  Good news about The Book People bundle, they do some great bargains when there are authors you like :)

Ooh, thank you. :D  I haven`t looked at any of her Merlin-y books. ponder.gif

Funnily enough I was looking at her Merlin books a couple of years ago, but went with the Bernard Cornwell trilogy instead.  Might have to look them up again  :smile:

The only problem I had with it was the ending - there are several. ;)  There`s a decent, exciting ending, then 30-40 pages of more endings, which rather spoiled it for me. :smile:

Sounds like he couldn't decide which ending to go with so he went with them all. LOL. I suppose you can do anything you want when you've written so many bestsellers! Or maybe he was afraid of letting people down with the ending and was trying to please everybody. :)

Wow, I can only imagine how long it would take you to catalogue all of your books on Goodreads or LibraryThing. Ooh, but it's so much fun! Maybe we'll see you there one day. ;)

The Wicked Day is the 4th and last Merlin book.  It follows the Merlin Trilogy, which includes The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment.

The Wicked Day is my least favorite as it doesn't have much of Merlin in it, and, not to give any spoilers, but is The End.  So to speak.

It would not be overstating to say I loved, loved, loved the Trilogy, itself.

I just realised I already have some Merlin-y books to read - The Mists of Avalon, and I`m not sure if my Cornwell books are the Merlin ones, too ? So, I`d better read those before getting more Merlin books. ;)

I wonder if the Mary Stewart books went out of print for a while?  I certainly don't remember seeing any for years and years.  Good news about The Book People bundle, they do some great bargains when there are authors you like :)

Looking at Amazon`s used paperbacks for Touch Not the Cat, there does seem to be quite a gap between editions. Or maybe they got shelved with romance novels and I didn`t see them in the shops `cos I was too busy looking at the detective + thrillers, where I think they should`ve been ? :smile:

Sounds like he couldn't decide which ending to go with so he went with them all. LOL. I suppose you can do anything you want when you've written so many bestsellers! Or maybe he was afraid of letting people down with the ending and was trying to please everybody. :)

Wow, I can only imagine how long it would take you to catalogue all of your books on Goodreads or LibraryThing. Ooh, but it's so much fun! Maybe we'll see you there one day. ;)

Yep, expect to see me when I`m in a procrastination stage. It sounds ideal ( and fun :D ).

Book # 83   The Lake of Dreams by Kim Edwards       TBR 699 - under 700 ! Whoo !

Amazon Synopsis :

From the author of the bestselling and beloved novel The Memory Keeper's Daughter Kim Edwards, comes a mesmerising story of startling family secrets and lies in the Sunday Times bestselling novel The Lake of Dreams

The darkest secrets are the ones we hide from ourselves. . .

Ten years ago, traumatized by her father's death, Lucy left her home and her country. Now, she returns to her family's rambling lakeside home to lay old ghosts to rest.

Sleepless one night, Lucy makes a momentous discovery. Locked in a moonlit window seat is a collection of family heirlooms - objects whose secrets no one was ever supposed to find. Piecing together her family's true history, she realises that the story she has always been told was a fiction . . .

Mesmerizing and haunting, The Lake of Dreams is a startling story of family secrets and lies, lost love and redemption, and of the many pieces and puzzles that make up a life.

Meh, this just didn`t work for me. There`s a captivating storyline, but the telling of it just doesn`t quite click. There`s a water analogy which is wildly overused, I didn`t care at all for the protagonist and there are editing glitches which should`ve been caught - most annoyingly, a character suddenly turns up with broken ribs and then the injury is never referred to again. Oh, and one of the characters reads the author`s previous book, which jolted me out of my reading flow, for some reason.

I didn't like The Memory Keeper's Daughter much but thought she might be worth trying again ... I don't think I'll bother now though :D That seems a cheap trick promoting your own book in your subsequent book .. I don't like the sound of it at all (though I quite liked it when the polar bear from The Bear was hiding behind the sofa and The Snowman was playing on the TV :D)  Well done for reaching 699 LP :)

TBR 699 - under 700 ! Whoo !

Woohoo! You should go and buy some books to celebrate!

Like Poppyshake, I didn't think much of The Memory Keeper's Daughter, so I definitely won't be trying The Lake of Dreams!

I just realised I already have some Merlin-y books to read - The Mists of Avalon, and I`m not sure if my Cornwell books are the Merlin ones, too ? So, I`d better read those before getting more Merlin books. ;)

x

I have The Mists of Avalon in Dutch, I really liked the book when I read it, when I was a teenager, but a few years ago I watched the TV series and didn't like the story as much (of course, the book might be better than the TV series and have different emphases). I'm not sure if I'll want to buy the book in English at some point, whether I'll still like it or not. Well, maybe if I find it cheap sometime.. I hope you enjoy your books, anyway! 

x

Yep, expect to see me when I`m in a procrastination stage. It sounds ideal ( and fun :D ).

x

I find it lots of fun! It'll take time at the beginning but personally I enjoy doing things like that!

I used to have profiles with several different sites but gave up on updating them all. Now I just use GoodReads (and mainly, a database program on the computer, Book Collector, which has the most accurate information). I might still use some of the other sites at some point. I liked LibraryThing's statistics but found GoodReads easier to use and most of my friends are on GR. Also LT often doesn't have my Dutch books or the right edition and I often need to edit a title or author because it's not correct. But LT also has things GR doesn't have so it's a personal preference. I love Book Collector, that program has been really useful. Anyway, have fun if you decide to catalogue your books :).

EDIT: Congrats on getting your TBR to below 700!

Edited by Athena