Little Pixie`s Bookshelf 2013

Little Pixie

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pixie

Yes, I use my Kindle almost all the time ,unless I occasionally pick up a library book .  I don't deal well with tons of books stacked around waiting for me to read them ,so the Kindle works out well for me. I can put as many as I want on it, but they aren't staring me in the face waiting to be read. You can sorta keep them hidden in the Kindle ,and only take a look through when looking for something new to read .

Some of my books are `hidden` in rooms and have ended up getting lost in the TBR list, so I imagine that everything on the Kindle has the same status and gets scrolled past regularly - and maybe has more chance of getting read. :smile:

Book # 93  To Perish in Penzance  by Jeanne M Dams    TBR 73-something

Amazon Synopsis :

She was about twenty, with long blond hair, and her body was found a few days after she fell from the cliffs to her death on the rocks below. No one identified her; no one reported a missing girl. All the police knew was her rough age, that she’d had a child recently, and that she was very underweight.

Her death was a mystery that had haunted Alan Nesbitt, Dorothy Martin’s now-retired chief constable husband, since 1968. It didn’t matter that the incident had happened more than thirty years earlier; under the pretence of a ‘vacation’ to Cornwall, Dorothy was going to get to the bottom of the mystery for Alan . . . and uncover a new one while she was at it.

Rather full of coincidence and not as much fun as previous mysteries, but still pretty readable. :smile: 

Book # 94   The Pirate King by Laurie R King      TBR 73-something

Amazon Synopsis :

When Mary Russell is called upon to investigate the criminal activities that surround England's silent-film supremo Randolph Fflytte, she finds herself travelling undercover to Morocco, as chaperone to the stars of his latest extravaganza, Pirate King, based on Gilbert and Sullivan's masterful The Pirates of Penzance. Nothing seems amiss until the cameras start to roll and Mary feels a storm of trouble brewing...a derelict boat, a film crew with secrets, ominous currents between the pirates, decks awash with budding romance - and where is her husband Sherlock Holmes? As film fiction becomes true terror, Russell and Holmes themselves may experience a final fadeout...

I think this is the first of the Mary Russell mysteries which I didn`t enjoy. Besides the first few pages - and the last few - most of this book seems more travelogue than the usual mystery and perilous fun. I generally find these inteterestng and well researched, but this time round, the research was about boats, which frankly bored me silly. :doh:

Book # 95    Acqua Alta by Donna Leon      TBR 735

Amazon Synopsis :

Commissario Guido Brunetti of the Venice Questura is shocked to hear that Brett Lynch, a friend since a murder case at La Fenice, has suffered a savage beating. The attack, in the beautiful palazzo home of Flavia Petrelli, reigning diva of La Scala, had come with a message: 'Don't keep that appointment with Dottor Semenzato.' Then, with the storm clouds gathering fast over the city, a man's body is found . . .

Book # 5 of the Inspector Brunetti series and my favourite so far. There`s a crime involving characters from the first book, and the mystery unfolds at the same time as the `Acqua Alta`, the seasonal flooding in Venice caused by the Sirocco, amongst other factors. There are cracking descriptions of Venice during the floods and how it affects the normal operation of the city, as well as a thrilling denouement. :D  

LP, I sorta gave up on the Russell/Holmes series after the first 4, I think.  I've read a few since and have Pirates, unread.  No inclination to do so either.  /sigh/

I think they lost their charm when King practically erased Holmes from the equation.  bleech.  I loved the relationship between Russell and Holmes, and without that interaction, they are only half alive.  IMO. :)

Pixie

How do you keep track of your books as far as the numbers ? Do you have them online on a list , or written down in a notebook, or how do you keep track of how many you have ?

I keep track of my `read` list in a notebook ( it`s a nice hardback journal, which I`ve been keeping since 2000. I bought it in a museum gift shop ; it has a nice painting of tulips on it. )  Whenever I`ve finished a book, I scribble it down with the date.

My TBR list is online at the start of this thread ; I wrote them all down a few months ago, then transferred them to here. I`ve added new books to the list as I`ve bought them. :smile:

I don`t have a list of all the house books though.

Erm, thinking about it, that`s just my treebooks. I`ve listed some of the Kindle books as a separate list, but haven`t updated it in a while. :hide:

LP, I sorta gave up on the Russell/Holmes series after the first 4, I think.  I've read a few since and have Pirates, unread.  No inclination to do so either.  /sigh/

I think they lost their charm when King practically erased Holmes from the equation.  bleech.  I loved the relationship between Russell and Holmes, and without that interaction, they are only half alive.  IMO. :)

I`d agree with that. I much prefer the ones where they investigate as a team, and have some chapters where they`re just pootling around at home. :smile:

I`ll try A garment of Shadows when I come across a really cheap copy, but I wonder if the author`s energies are now going into her new series... Touchstone.

I keep track of my `read` list in a notebook ( it`s a nice hardback journal, which I`ve been keeping since 2000. I bought it in a museum gift shop ; it has a nice painting of tulips on it. )  Whenever I`ve finished a book, I scribble it down with the date.

Aww, how lovely.  :)

I started writing reviews in a really cute hard-backed notebook in 2006 but I got behind after about 4 months and let it slide.  I wish I'd kept up with it!

I`d agree with that. I much prefer the ones where they investigate as a team, and have some chapters where they`re just pootling around at home. :smile:

I`ll try A garment of Shadows when I come across a really cheap copy, but I wonder if the author`s energies are now going into her new series... Touchstone.

I've got Touchstone...I thought I'd read it and that it was a sequel to........gak, can't remember the name.  Have to check it out.  Anyhow, the plot in the synopsis/link you gave doesn't sound familiar.  But does sound interesting.  Thanks! :)

Aww, how lovely.  :)

I started writing reviews in a really cute hard-backed notebook in 2006 but I got behind after about 4 months and let it slide.  I wish I'd kept up with it!

I do recommend it - it`s nice to be able to look back at books wot you`ve read, plus it does save you from re-reading nondescript books. ;)

I've got Touchstone...I thought I'd read it and that it was a sequel to........gak, can't remember the name.  Have to check it out.  Anyhow, the plot in the synopsis/link you gave doesn't sound familiar.  But does sound interesting.  Thanks! :)

It sounds like a CJ Sansom book ? :smile:

Great idea, Pixie !  

I wish I would have kept a running tally of the books I've read throughout the years, but way too many to remember . I guess it's never too late to start ,is it ?

And it gives you the `excuse` of buying a pretty journal. :smile:

It sounds like a CJ Sansom book ? :smile:

LOL, no, but I do wish Sansom would hurry up and write another in his series!  I wasn't really interested in the last one he wrote, I don't much care for alternative history novels.  Plus after reading the synopsis, I thought I'd miss a lot of references as I don't know London/England/geography.  IOW, what really is, as opposed to what is in the book. 

LOL, no, but I do wish Sansom would hurry up and write another in his series!  I wasn't really interested in the last one he wrote, I don't much care for alternative history novels.  Plus after reading the synopsis, I thought I'd miss a lot of references as I don't know London/England/geography.  IOW, what really is, as opposed to what is in the book. 

Hmm, I have Dominion on my `reading table` - shall get to it eventually. ;)

I had to clear a gap on the table so the cat can get up on the table and then up to the windowsill ; going via the table cuts down on playing pouncey-pouncey with the curtains. :giggle2:

Hmm, I have Dominion on my `reading table` - shall get to it eventually. ;)

I had to clear a gap on the table so the cat can get up on the table and then up to the windowsill ; going via the table cuts down on playing pouncey-pouncey with the curtains. :giggle2:

Every little bit helps. :cat: