Books that made you cry

Fiona

I'm torn...I like both. I do enjoy happy endings when all your favourite characters end up with everything they wanted and everything. But...I also feel slightly cheated at some happy endings. Like the last Harry Potter book, I read the ending and immediately thought 'What?! That's ****!'. But then sad endings also depress me! Like the ending of Noughts and Crosses, I cried and cried for far too long. :)

I think there needs to be a balance between the two..somehow!

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesdays With Morrie.

Its one of those books, the reading of which should be mandatory for living. Okay, so I'm biased, coz its a true story and the movie made it even more heart breaking to deal with the ending.

But still. Its a wonderful book about life.

Jeffy the Burglar's cat (I think)

I read it when I was about 11, 12 or maybe even younger, and I got to the end late at night and it was so beautiful and so much ... somehow bigger than expected, it made me burst into tears. Proper crying, the way kids do. I think I woke up my parents, because it was so sad and so wonderful at the same time.

I'm not sure if I've ever had the same reaction to a book again.

I cried when I wrote a scene in Nightswallow though (that's my new book out soon :)) I thought that was quite weird, to cry at something you're actually writing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Books that have made me cry ... a LOT:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix

" " " " Half Blood Prince } - J.K. Rowling

" " " " Deathly Hallows

Flowers in the Attic - V.C Andrews

At First Sight

A Walk to Remember } - Nicholas Sparks

Dear John

New Moon - Stephanie Meyer

That's all I can remember right now, but I have yet to read loads more tearjerkers. I personally love to be so touched by books, especially romances. I'm so dang sensitive.

La Belle Saison by Patricia Atkinson made me cry at then end.

And I finished reading Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner yesterday through a veil of tears, as there was a completely unexpected plot twist which caught me off guard, and brought rather a lot of emotion out of me.