Books that made you cry

Fiona

One book that always makes me cry is "And the Band Played On" by Randy Shilts. For those who haven't read it, it's a non-fiction account of the beginning of the AIDS epidemic in the U.S., and it has heart-wrenching descriptions of horrible deaths.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very few books have made me cry, but i bawled at 'the book thief', 'the boy in the striped pajamas' almost did it but not quite. i think i cried years ago when i read 'little women', but that was probably teenage angst, oh and how could i forget 'the time travellers wife'?fantastic stuff, sobbed and sobbed....... wasn't the better of that one for a week

eleberth- i read and the band played on and i cried my eyes out too- i work with people who have HIV/AIDS and the book just begins to cover what my clients have gone through and continue to go through- so much has changed since that book was written -new meds, increased life expectancy- it really is a great book overall- carm

Um, you guys are going to laugh at me. I don't like sad books that much and tend to avoid them. But I got caught off guard when I read "The Elfstones Of Shannara" by Terry Brooks. The end of the book was NOT expected and I cried.

Most books that are sad (like Barbara Kingsolver's "The Poisonwood Bible" don't make me cry. They just depress me.

Now this is something new...I was reading Lady Chatterley's Lover two nights ago, for our July group, and there was a long passage in which Connie's desperation and depression are described, and I found myself actually weeping. :weeping:And then it happened again last night!! What's going on with me?? I've read this book before, and I didn't cry the first time. Who knows....:hyper:

I've cried over tons of books! As a teenager at times I picked a book to read that I knew would make me cry! One of my 'favourites' for crying was Devil Water by Anya Seton. In recent years I've tended to avoid them, but then I've been struggling against depression for a while.

Several books have brought a tear to my eye in recent years - the last two HP ones for starters.

I get very involved with the characters when I read the book, so if anything bad happens to them I feel it!

• 1 year later...

I've never cried over a book, though I've come close to it on two particular books. Waves by Sharon Dogar because it was so touching; and Black Beauty by Anna Sewell because I couldn't imagine horses being treated so badly.

I know there have been books that have made me cry but nothing springs to mind at the moment other than the time I read Sara Payne's account of her daughters death and the way it affected her family. I sobbed while my husband slept, completely oblivious to my distress.

• 2 weeks later...

'Tuesday's With Morrie' by Mitch Albom

'Five People You Meet In Heaven' by Mitch Albom

both of these read not long after my mum dad, but actually found them kinda comforting in a way.

'Plain Truth' by Jodi Picoult

'Gang of Four' by Liz Byrski

'Before I Die' by Jenny Downham (recently read and definitely one for the tissue box

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Sure there are others. I am a bit of a sentimental/emotional wee soul. :)

I often have a lump in my throat but not many make me weep, apart from:

My Sister's Keeper

Read this in the car on the way to a party, hmmm not great preparation really

'Before I Die' by Jenny Downham (recently read and definitely one for the tissue box

I blubbed at this one, really cried saw someone on holiday reading it by the pool, could not have done that, people would have had to counsel me.

I'm not much of a crier with books, so if a book makes me cry, it must be a really good one.

The ones that did it for me:

Charles Dickens: A Tale of Two Cities

J. K. Rowling: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (but not until second time around to it)

Stephen King: Cujo

Alice Sebold: Lovely Bones

Michael Cunningham: A Home at the End of the World

Carlos Ruiz Zaf