Unfinished books.. will you pick them up again?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here! I don`t even watch the films. :D

Just try reading them! The later books are so much better, and it's such a good series, I hate to see people not reading them. :lol:

:roll: yes I'm the same always trying to persuade people to read HP. The films are pretty rubbish even without comparing to the books, not least because Daniel Radcliff seems to have trouble displaying emotions

I noticed that too, he's so wooden! It irritates me so much! And yes, as far as i can remember the 'muggles' are still called as such. I haven't read any HP for a while now actually.

If humans are still referred to by such a stupid term then nothing on God's green earth will make me pick up another Harry Potter book. It's the kind of thing I'd expect to hear referencing a very minor race in a Final Fantasy game, not in a book.

Yes they are still called muggles. I always though it was a bit of a strange name, kind of sounds like they're stupid, but I doubt it's meant like that, unless JK is trying to make a point about how Muggles are seen as second class humans...

If humans are still referred to by such a stupid term then nothing on God's green earth will make me pick up another Harry Potter book. It's the kind of thing I'd expect to hear referencing a very minor race in a Final Fantasy game, not in a book.

Lmao :roll:

I`m not sure if I should say this! :roll:

I gave up on the first Harry Potter book and I have no intention of picking it or any other HP book up again. :lol:

oh me too, i never finished the first one, my brother has most of them i keep thinking ill try them someday but no urge to as of yet! (he hasnt even read them himself either - they were presents)

I put aside New Moon, by Stephenie Meyer, two days ago after reading only the first paragraph :roll:. It can't be that I'm not up for some reading because I read through half of The Princess Bride yesterday and I can't wait to pick it up one more time. I don't know when I'll pick up New Moon again as I have a line of books I'm really eager to read soon.

There are some books that I will never pick up again when I have decided to give up on them, however there are a few which I have kept to try another day; such as The Shadow of the wind ~ Carlos Ruiz Zafon, as I have heard such good things about it.

Ah well, your loss! :lol:

Yes they are still called muggles. I always though it was a bit of a strange name, kind of sounds like they're stupid, but I doubt it's meant like that, unless JK is trying to make a point about how Muggles are seen as second class humans...

mmm My instant reaction was NO of course not, muggles aren't seen as lesser humans... But then they are by some wizards and probably more so in the past. So that might be where Rowling's coming from with the name. You could probably say it was invented by the wizards who decided that both worlds had to be kept seperate. Which I think she said happened after the witch hunts... so they probably weren't that keen on 'muggles' at the time... See there's a perfectly logical historical explanation! :lol:

*reads over what she's just written* Did I just sound like I thought the magical world was real? Of course not! :roll:

I mentioned it on my Harry Potter forum, and someone said that muggle is actually a word which isn't really used now. But it means unintelligent or unskilled.

We were thinking that maybe it's because they're 'unskilled' at magic

Oh and I've spend the last 4 years on a HP forum so I'm probably the worst judge on whether it sounds like you think it's real or not :roll:

I mentioned it on my Harry Potter forum, and someone said that muggle is actually a word which isn't really used now. But it means unintelligent or unskilled.

Real? As in outside the magical world ?? (which *of course* doesn't exist :lol:) that's a strange thought...

Actually I just checked and this wikipedia page is interesting. Turns out Muggle has indeed been used. Did you know 'Muggles' referred to marijuana at one point? And it's been added to the oxford english dictionary, crazy! :roll:

Ok, that's probably not helping to convince Roxi to give HP another go *laughs*

Just try reading them! The later books are so much better, and it's such a good series, I hate to see people not reading them. :lol:

Don`t hold your breath! :roll:

oh me too, i never finished the first one, my brother has most of them i keep thinking ill try them someday but no urge to as of yet! (he hasnt even read them himself either - they were presents)

I feel so much better now I know there are others out there like me! :lol:

Oh we're there alright. :roll:

I read HP when it came out, so I was.... *checks wiki* about 9 going on 10. I read it, told my mum not to bother bringing me anything else by that author, and to call me when it got turned into a movie. She laughed, but only til the movie came out.

Its rare for me to start reading a book and not finish it. However, I've recently done it with two books. Sammy's Hill by Kristin Gore and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. I was loving both books, but stopped reading them because work got in the way. I guess my goal for 2009 should be to go back and finish them.

There are some books that I will never pick up again when I have decided to give up on them, however there are a few which I have kept to try another day; such as The Shadow of the wind ~ Carlos Ruiz Zafon, as I have heard such good things about it.

I found this a tough one to get into also, but it turned out to be a good read in the end :roll: