Unfinished books.. will you pick them up again?

I hate to abandon a book but life is just too short to plough on through rubbish sometimes, isn't it? Especially when you have some goodies lined up on the TBR pile!

And the relief you feel when you actually decide, You know what? I can't be bothered to finish this one - and close the book...ahhh, it's liberating, somehow!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put down Wuthering Heights because I couldn't get into it all but then a couple of years later I tried it again and loved it!

I did the same with"Jane Eyre"

The three I have given up on are in the past couple of years are:

A Suitable Boy- Vikram Seth

The Time Travellers Wife

War and Peace - Tolstoy

The think the size put me off with a couple of them and I just wasn't keen on the Time Travellers Wife.

I started to read "The Time Traveller's Wife" too and I too gave up on it - can't put my finger on why, but it's one I definitely intend to go back to and try again as a friend of mine really rated it.

The Time Travellers is one book that I did go back to, and I'm glad I did! I started it the first time, got a little confused, and gave up. I then decided to give it another go (I think we had it as a reading circle on here), and really enjoyed it. If I recall correctly, the key is to not worry too much at the beginning trying to work out what's going on, what the time line is etc.. just read it as it is, and after a while, it starts to fall into place.

I hate to abandon a book but life is just too short to plough on through rubbish sometimes, isn't it? Especially when you have some goodies lined up on the TBR pile!

And the relief you feel when you actually decide, You know what? I can't be bothered to finish this one - and close the book...ahhh, it's liberating, somehow!

I completely agree. I don't like to give up on books but if it isn't enjoyable, why stress over it? In fact, I gave up on a book just last night, Ian McEwan Enduring Love. I felt better for it.

I have struggled with "A Traitor to Memory" - Elizabeth George and have managed to get three quarters of the way through (with difficulty). I was reading this on recommendation of OH who said it was a great book she couldn't put down. I have put it down couldn't take anymore. :):D

The Time Travellers is one book that I did go back to, and I'm glad I did! I started it the first time, got a little confused, and gave up. I then decided to give it another go (I think we had it as a reading circle on here), and really enjoyed it. If I recall correctly, the key is to not worry too much at the beginning trying to work out what's going on, what the time line is etc.. just read it as it is, and after a while, it starts to fall into place.

Thanks Michelle I certainly will try it again, I'm still not sure what to pick up for the moment though!

A Room With A View, by E M Forster is the only book I've ever started and not finished, I don't know why, but I found the characters annoying and bland, and nothing about the story compelled me to read. I'm disappointed that I never finished it as I see it as a classic and want to like it. I just don't.

Anna

• 1 month later...
I m trying to plough through Bleak House, and its not the story thats not interesting its just the drawn out nature of it. I m so used to reading something shorter! I want to read it though...I think.

Bleak House is extremely drawn out, it seemed to take me forever to get through.

Guest Tiresias
Don Quixote - two hundred and ten pages down... and no, I don't think I will go back to it!

How odd. I'm reading it now and loving it.

Different horses, etc.

How odd. I'm reading it now and loving it.

Different horses, etc.

I was about 120 pages in when I gave up. Someone told me that it's a book you suddenly get at some point in your life, and it's worth going back to every 5 or 10 years and reading a few pages of it to see if it suddenly makes sense. But I'm wondering if I've not got better things to do with my time.

• 5 months later...

If a book doesn't hold your interest how long do you struggle on before giving up. I use to always finish no matter how bad it was but now with so many good books out there i don't see the point in finishing something you are not enjoying.

I know some books start slow, i tend to give it about 100 or so pages if it hasn't grabbed me by then i start another.

Just out of interest how many books have any of you given up on this year if any. I've been lucky so far enjoyed everthing read in 2009.

I never give up on a book! Even if I am not enjoying it, I just can't give up - I wouldn't advise this course of action to anybody else though! I often wish I could give up, but once I've started investing time in a book, I have to see it through.

I hate to give up on a book, I always feel like a failure if I do. But, I think I've done it three times (that I can remember).

The first was with PS. I love you. I'm not sure entirely sure why; it seems very popular with everyone else! Maybe I'll give it another go someday :)

I also gave up on 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold. Again, I can't remember why. I did try and read it again but I had the same reaction to it. The plot sounded so interesting. Maybe it was just her writing style.

And...I also gave up 'We Need To Talk About Kevin'. I was only 15 when I tried to read it and the writing style wasn't to my taste. I would like to try again with it though.

If I'm going to give up, it will be in the first 50-100 pages I think. Any further than that and you may as well finish it!

:)

I have so nearly given up on a book this week, but have carried on and will see it to the end. I was ~100 pages in, but decided to give it another chance.

I have given up on a couple of books though through sheer boredom!

I can't give up on a book. Sometimes I wish I could but I always have hope that it will get better. Case in point: I wasn't particularly enjoying Far from the Madding Crowd recently but I persevered and ended up really enjoying it. And if I don't like a book, at least I know the entire story so I can say for sure that it didn't have any redeeming qualities. :)

I hate to give up on a book, I always feel like a failure if I do.:boogie:

Yip. Me too - I hate giving up on a book. I try to persevere and not let it beat me, usually it pays off. I have only ever let 2 books win, one of which I gave away, the other one is 'Bag of Bones' by Stephen King and is on my TBR pile again. I keep reading about 4 chapters then I give up but I will finish it eventually. I won't let it beat me!!! :)

I can't give up on a book. Sometimes I wish I could but I always have hope that it will get better. Case in point: I wasn't particularly enjoying Far from the Madding Crowd recently but I persevered and ended up really enjoying it. And if I don't like a book, at least I know the entire story so I can say for sure that it didn't have any redeeming qualities. :)

Good point. :woohoo: