1. 1. Which eReader do you use?

• Normal Kindle (keyboard etc)
    • Touch Kindle
    • Kobo
    • Nook
    • Kindle app on tablet
    • Other app on tablet
    • Kindle Fire

I use the Kobo Glo. I wanted a Kindle (and ironically my Dad got a Kindle Fire even though he barely reads, but probably uses it for apps). It's quite useful and I love reading the free books. Some of them are quite good. Shame I can't get the good deals from Amazon though.

I use the Kobo Glo. I wanted a Kindle (and ironically my Dad got a Kindle Fire even though he barely reads, but probably uses it for apps). It's quite useful and I love reading the free books. Some of them are quite good. Shame I can't get the good deals from Amazon though.

Have you tried gutenberg.org? It has a lot of public domain books,and I believe it's books are compatible with Kobo :)

Have you tried gutenberg.org? It has a lot of public domain books,and I believe it's books are compatible with Kobo :)

I downloaded a classic from there today, very straightforward, but the site is a nightmare to navigate, for me anyway! Epubbooks.com is pretty good..

Never heard of it. But will definitely look into it when I next use my Kobo. Thanks! :D

I downloaded a classic from there today, very straightforward, but the site is a nightmare to navigate, for me anyway! Epubbooks.com is pretty good..

I might try this sight as well. It'd be nice to find somewhere with good deals.

• 3 months later...

I am on my third kindle  :blush2:

The first one (keyboard) I put under my pillow and slept on it so the screen went all line-y.

The second one (keyboard) I accidentally stepped on and the screen went line-y again.

I now have a Paperwhite and love it!! The built in backlight is so handy I don't need a separate light and you can dim it down to how the old keyboard ones are!

I was thinking of trading up to a paperwhite now I have had my Kindle Keyboard for (almost) 2 years. I could do with the 3G and the screen does seem a lot clearer and brighter from what I have seen. I would though miss the keyboard.   

Hayley, that's how I feel - I have tried to appreciate my kindle and get used to it, but it soon wears off. I can't break my addiction to 'normal' books. :)

The great thing about the Kindle, at least for me, is how it complements my reading paper books, making it easier for me to read at times when it would otherwise be a bit awkward.  Thus, I use the Kindle a lot for commuting, and many other occasions when away from home - it lives almost permanently in my bag.  I also subscribe to the Guardian, which automatically downloads every day, so that makes it all the more useful.  It's fabulous on holiday - especially as we're keen cycle tourists - much lighter than a bunch of books!

I quite often have a copy of my paper book loaded on the Kindle (especially if it's a classic, as they're usually free), so that I can swap backwards and forwards whichever is most convenient (I also have ebooks loaded up on the phone too using Kindle for Android, which means on the rare occasion i haven't got my Kindle, I can still read a book).

So it's not intended to break my paper book addiction.  Indeed, at the moment I'm reading a paperbook (Dominic Sandbrook's Seasons in the Sun) and an e-book (The Voyage Out - Virginia Woolf) depending on whether I'm home or away - the Sandbrook (hardback) is far too big to lug around but is much more pleasurable to read like that than on the Kindle.  I have no intention of not continuing to buy paper books when the format or price suits me.

Edited by willoyd

I have to say I am not using my kobo as much as I thought I would. It is easier to hold than a book but just not the same enjoyment factor. :(

Hayley, that's how I feel - I have tried to appreciate my kindle and get used to it, but it soon wears off. I can't break my addiction to 'normal' books. :)

It's funny you should say that. I found that at first as well. I think I am getting used to it now though, however I'm reading non-fiction on it at the moment and somehow I find non-fiction reads better on it than fiction. Wierd :o

I have the original Kindle. I don't think I'll ever upgrade until it breaks. The e-ink background is easy on the eye and battery seems to go on forever......

Kindle Keyboard  but without wifi.....I just go to Wetherspoons for the free wifi if I want to go online or download books...still read treebooks too, I have no real preference when it comes to the actual act of reading but of course kindle is easier to hold and handle...and I can start another book as soon as I have finished the last. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my kindle last year, and I love it - I read so much more now! Also, as we are really tight on space in our flat is a really good way of clearing clutter. most of my new books aree-books now, and a few of the paperback ones from my bookshelf have beeen replaced by e-books, creating more space.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...