How many of you buy more than you read?

Michelle

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...I can honestly say....and who is to blame.....BCF of course... :giggle2: Too many lovely people saying lovely things about lovely books. I don't have a TBR pile I have shelves of them. :giggle: Will I ever get through them....probably not, but they are nice to look at and admire. Hubby is good, he has heaps more books than me, but will go back and reread them. I have only ever done that with a handful. The urge not to go in to a book shop in passing one I find very hard....is buying books an illness :D

I too have a lot of books on mount TBR, many I've bought myself, I do enjoy browsing book shops and charity shops to see what jumps out at me :blush2: but quite a few have been given to me. I am inclined to buy books that have been given good reviews on the forum if they appeal to me and I do like it when friends find a book on my shelf that they fancy reading and want to borrow, it helps to ease my guilt of having so many unread books waiting while I still buy new ones :smile: I find that the books I download to my kindle I don't feel so guilty about, probably because they're out of sight! :D

I do feel that I should buy less and use the library a bit more though.

I too have a Mt TBR that needs to be conquered or at least tackled at some point. Lately I've been. Buying more books on my kindle which is good in one way but still adds to the reading list. My question is has anyone bought a book,put it somewhere,forgot you bought it and then discovered you had it somewhere else? I've done that many many times

Yes I have done that.

I have even bought a book then found I already have it at home. I`ve done it with cds too.

Me!!! I have a TBR of over 430 books! Last year I read 75 books so its going to take me years to reduce this. I have got better at not buying too many tree books but sometimes I can't help myself! My main problem now is all the free kindle books I keep downloading!

I think with you it also didn't help that you won the ebay (?) auction and got a huge hella load of books for a few pounds... I still haven't gotten over that :D

Wait, what sale? Did I miss this story? I want to hear it Lauraloves! :D How many books did you get for a few pounds? :o

My question is has anyone bought a book,put it somewhere,forgot you bought it and then discovered you had it somewhere else? I've done that many many times
This has happened to me too, several times. I try to avoid this, by printing out a list of my books when I know I'll go out to buy books (when I order online I can check it more easily, since the list is on the computer). But sometimes it happens. It's especially annoying when it's a different cover or a different title. I generally tend to remember specific covers but if they change it then it gets a lot harder.

I'm with the majority here. I buy way too many books . If I hear about one that sounds good, I just go to Amazon and click,and Wa-La ! It's in my Kindle . That has been the handiest, yet most danegerous ,gadget I've ever owned . ( For the pocketbook )

Miss Poppy

I bet your cat hears and understands everything you say !

This has happened to me too, several times. I try to avoid this, by printing out a list of my books when I know I'll go out to buy books (when I order online I can check it more easily, since the list is on the computer). But sometimes it happens. It's especially annoying when it's a different cover or a different title. I generally tend to remember specific covers but if they change it then it gets a lot harder.

I carry a hand written list with me in my wallet at all times, but it's still tricky, because I sometimes forget to write down my new purchases on the list! I think quite a few of us have been known to buy a duplicate copy every now and then, it's a plague :giggle:

I should get a boyfriend, if for nothing else, then just to stay at my place and infront of my computer, so I could call him at all times to make him check I don't have a copy of the book I'm going to purchase already ... :giggle2:

My question is has anyone bought a book,put it somewhere,forgot you bought it and then discovered you had it somewhere else? I've done that many many times

Yes, multiple copies of the same book used to happen a lot, but another good thing with my Kindle - if I've already bought a book then go to look at the Amazon page again for it, there's a banner at the top of the page saying I've purchased it already, so at least I don't end up with two ebook editions!

I should get a boyfriend, if for nothing else, then just to stay at my place and infront of my computer, so I could call him at all times to make him check I don't have a copy of the book I'm going to purchase already ... :giggle2:

Oh dear that made me laugh :giggle:

I called my mum once to check my shelves if I had purchased a book I was looking at, lucky I did because I had the title already! :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

I am seriously trying to reduce the number of books coming into the house primarily because I can't keep up with what I already have....plus the kindle...plus the free book sites...what's a girl to do?

I am seriously trying to reduce the number of books coming into the house primarily because I can't keep up with what I already have....plus the kindle...plus the free book sites...what's a girl to do?

Read.....QUICK !!!

I'm with the majority here. I buy way too many books . If I hear about one that sounds good, I just go to Amazon and click,and Wa-La ! It's in my Kindle . That has been the handiest, yet most danegerous ,gadget I've ever owned . ( For the pocketbook )

Miss Poppy

I bet your cat hears and understands everything you say !

I hope not .. she'd hate me Julie .. especially first thing in the morning :D

The thing with actual books is that you can see when they're beginning to pile up, I dread to think what sort of TBR I could rack up with a Kindle. Too tempting.

Edited by poppyshake

I do buy more books than I read. The thing is now my TBR has got to over 100 it would take me over a year to read and that's only if I don't buy any more books at all. But I have to (honest) because when a new book from one of my series comes out I have to buy that and then I'm on Amazon anyway so I have to but one from my wishlist and then how can I choose only one and well...you get the gist.

I plan to live forever just so I can finish every book on my wish list, as a friend of mine would say.

I like the way you think!

I too have a Mt TBR that needs to be conquered or at least tackled at some point. Lately I've been. Buying more books on my kindle which is good in one way but still adds to the reading list. My question is has anyone bought a book,put it somewhere,forgot you bought it and then discovered you had it somewhere else? I've done that many many times

:rolol: Oh yeah! Many duplications. And, the heck of it is that we have our books listed on Library Thing, but sometimes when I check whilst out, some books don't seem to show. grrr Plus, when we married, we already had our own libraries, and since our taste is so similar, there are a couple of hundred duplications already! Oy. :D

You know, the trouble with the kindle, for me at least, is that I completely forget I have some books on there, and I don't have them listed on LT either. So, I have to depend on my somewhat faulty memory......../sigh/

Actually I did think that it might be possible you haven't even gone through all of them yet :D You lucky gal!

Edit: Have you even written all of them down on your reading log?

I still haven't written them all down I might go through box by box this year and write them down and see if anything jumps out at me!

Wait, what sale? Did I miss this story? I want to hear it Lauraloves! :D How many books did you get for a few pounds? :o

I got over 600 books for £25 last year. Won an auction on eBay and went to pick them up not expecting too much and ended up with some fantastic reads, some were brand new too!

I got over 600 books for £25 last year. Won an auction on eBay and went to pick them up not expecting too much and ended up with some fantastic reads, some were brand new too!

:o That is so cheap, what a dream! I would love to help you go through those books if you ever need a helper! ;)

That sounds amazing!! Congrats :D.

Hehe thanks, I still haven't gone through them all!

:o That is so cheap, what a dream! I would love to help you go through those books if you ever need a helper! ;)

It was an amazing find, I really should go through them soon properly!

There's a long queue, no cutting in line! :giggle2::lol: She's had to beat us with a stick to get back, to stop us from drooling over her boxes of books...