Athena's Reading List 2013

Athena

Apparently I've read 139 books this year so far. I should be able to make it to 140 at least! I exceeded my target by far. To be fair though, I read a lot more shorter books and I've re-read more books, too (most noticably during the read-a-thons). I suppose there is one upside to being too tired to watch DVDs or play video games, reading is a lot less tiring for me so I've been doing more reading (although lately I'm sometimes too tired for that too..). I'll be compiling a list of favourite reads per genre near the end of this year and I'll be making a post with my reading statistics for the year.

Congrats for 139 books this year (so far) :clapping: !

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Athena

You have left me in the dust with that book total. Great job ! 

I don't blame you guys for not liking books that smell of smoke. I have gotten a few library books like that and I take them straight back . YEK

Can I ask you ( and anyone else that notices my question ) 

Which Harry Potter book did you think was best ? I've watched lots of vides about that series and most people say they liked the one you just finished best .

* Shame on me, but I haven't read them yet ... started the first one ,but never finished it. I kept wishing they would have been written 40 years or more ago when I would have been younger .

Edited by julie

Can I ask you ( and anyone else the notices my question ) 

Which Harry Potter book did you think was best ? I've watched lots of vides about that series and most people say they liked the one you just finished best.

The first few. Possibly the Prisoner of Azkhaban, but the first will always rate highly, simply because of its freshness and impact on first reading (way back then!). After that they started to get a bit overblown and overcomplex.

Apparently I've read 139 books this year so far. I should be able to make it to 140 at least! I exceeded my target by far. To be fair though, I read a lot more shorter books and I've re-read more books, too (most noticably during the read-a-thons). I suppose there is one upside to being too tired to watch DVDs or play video games, reading is a lot less tiring for me so I've been doing more reading (although lately I'm sometimes too tired for that too..). I'll be compiling a list of favourite reads per genre near the end of this year and I'll be making a post with my reading statistics for the year.

Congratulations on surpassing your original goal!  Well done, Athena. :)

I've only read the last of the Harry Potter series, and wasn't much impressed.  Which, I know is not fair....I don't think it's possible to read the last of a series and be a fair judge of it.  I have the series on the shelf, and will def give it a read.  Maybe next year! :D

Can I ask you ( and anyone else the notices my question ) 

Which Harry Potter book did you think was best ? I've watched lots of vides about that series and most people say they liked the one you just finished best .

* Shame on me, but I haven't read them yet ... started the first one ,but never finished it. I kept wishing they would have been written 40 years or more ago when I would have been younger .

I enjoyed The Order of the Phoenix (book 5) and The Philosopher's Stone (book 1) the most, personally. Prisoner of Azkaban (book 3) and the last two books were my least favourite in the series, although I still enjoyed them. I was lucky in that I read the first book when I was 11, and grew up with the series: the age of the characters roughly matched my age as each book was released. :)

I've only read the last of the Harry Potter series, and wasn't much impressed.  Which, I know is not fair....I don't think it's possible to read the last of a series and be a fair judge of it.  I have the series on the shelf, and will def give it a read.  Maybe next year! :D

Yeah, the last book is mostly poo, apart from the big finale, which is great. Not the epilogue, though. That was awful and had the feel of a fan fiction short story tacked on to the end. :doh: Definitely give the whole series a go at some point, though - you might be surprised. :D  

Hi Athena,

You're never too old to revisit books from your childhood I reckon! (the reason I want to read all the BSC books in order actually, way back when it was whatever the library had in!).

I have The Snow Child on my TBR so good to see you thought highly of it.

And my favourite HP book has to be The Prisoner of Azkaban - it's such a clever story!

Thanks for the Harry Potter answers, guys .. I feel like one of the past people on the planet that has yet to read them. I started the first, but don't remember finishing it, or if I did, I skimmed through to the end. I just kept wishing it would have been written 40 or 50 years earlier and I know I would have loved it, since I read all the time while growing up .

(emoticons removed)

x

Wow, 139 books! Congratulations.

I don't think I'd like the books smelling of smoke either. A friend who smokes lent me a book once and I hated holding it as it made my hands feel dirty. If I buy from a charity shop I'll always have a quick sniff to make sure the pages don't smell bad.

x

Congrats for 139 books this year (so far)  !

Wow, Athena

You have left me in the dust with that book total. Great job ! 

I don't blame you guys for not liking books that smell of smoke. I have gotten a few library books like that and I take them straight back . YEK

Can I ask you ( and anyone else that notices my question ) 

x

I think I liked the first Harry Potter book the best. I read it when I was 14 in school and it has the strongest memories for me. As the series progressed I was less and less interested, particularly from book four on (I'm not even sure if I finished the sixth and seventh book), until seeing the films made me want to re-read the books, as an adult and closer together. So for me the first one will always have the strongest memories. I can imagine reading the series for the first time as an adult, the series probably won't affect you as much as someone who reads it when they're a teenager (I mistyped this as 'teeanger' :giggle:).

x  

Congratulations on surpassing your original goal!  Well done, Athena.

I've only read the last of the Harry Potter series, and wasn't much impressed.  Which, I know is not fair....I don't think it's possible to read the last of a series and be a fair judge of it.  I have the series on the shelf, and will def give it a read.  Maybe next year!

x

I think you should start with the first book, really. It'll make the most sense :). I can imagine it must have been very confusing, starting with the last book of the series!

I was lucky in that I read the first book when I was 11, and grew up with the series: the age of the characters roughly matched my age as each book was released.

x

That's pretty cool :)!

x

Hi Athena,

You're never too old to revisit books from your childhood I reckon! (the reason I want to read all the BSC books in order actually, way back when it was whatever the library had in!).

I have The Snow Child on my TBR so good to see you thought highly of it.

And my favourite HP book has to be The Prisoner of Azkaban - it's such a clever story!

x

I agree! It's lovely to re-read some old favourites. I hope you'll like The Snow Child, I recommend reading it when it's a bit cold outside so you're all the more into the wintery mood.

x  

Thanks for the Harry Potter answers, guys .. I feel like one of the past people on the planet that has yet to read them. I started the first, but don't remember finishing it, or if I did, I skimmed through to the end. I just kept wishing it would have been written 40 or 50 years earlier and I know I would have loved it, since I read all the time while growing up .

x

I do think you would've liked them more if you'd been able to read them when you were a child.. I fully agree with it. I read the first book when I was 14, then the second and third book, already released in Dutch at this point, then I read the rest as they came out in Dutch and my sister bought them (though I think the fourth book belongs to me?), but I wasn't so impressed (not sure how much I read of books six and seven). I think I felt at this point that I was older and wanted something more for adults, or something. But I'm really enjoying re-reading them at the moment, in English. It is quite a well thought out world and when you're in the mood for something like this, it's very nice (so far, at least.)

Below is a list of the Dutch books I was given, amazingly there were only two I already had and there was one book there were two the same copies of. Here's a list of the ones I didn't have yet:

Carlos Ruiz Zafón - Het Kerkhof der Vergeten Boeken 2: Het Spel van de Engel (The Angel's Game)

Stephen King - Dodenwake (Pet Semetary)

Stephen King - Insomnia (Dutch)

Stephen King - De Spelbreker (Gerald's Game)

Stephen King - Christine (Dutch)

Stephen King - De Duistere Kant (The Dark Half)

Stephen King - Misery (Dutch)

Stephen King - De Marathon (The Long Walk)

Stephen King - De Noodzaak (Needful Things)

Stephen King - Duistere Krachten (Skeleton Crew)

Stephen King - Desperation (Dutch)

Stephen King - Dodelijk Dilemma (The Dead Zone)

Gaia

It sounds like you got some nice books ,especially if you like Stephen King. Do they have the same covers , but just different writing, or are the pics totally different ,like from amazon covers ? It's always interesting to see how they use different covers in different places .

I will start with the first HP book, at some point, Gaia.

Just wanted to mention that I appreciate your writing in the name of the person you are quoting in your posts...it really helps context! :cool:

Gaia

It sounds like you got some nice books ,especially if you like Stephen King. Do they have the same covers , but just different writing, or are the pics totally different ,like from amazon covers ? It's always interesting to see how they use different covers in different places .

x

The covers look different from the English ones on Amazon and Goodreads. In general the covers are often different or slightly different, but sometimes they are the same. I'm not sure what makes the publishers choose for a different cover. Titles are sometimes directly translated and other times something completely different. Sometimes I find the Dutch title works well, other times less so.

I was planning on taking a picture of the Stephen King books to show you but then I got carried away and put them on a shelf before taking a picture (behind other books). I can still get them off again though if you want! (I do love handling my books :blush2:)

Congrats on reading 139 books ! :D

x

Thanks :)! It's 140 now, I've already written the review a few days ago and will be posting it shortly. I never thought I'd be reading that many books this year (though admittedly I have read some shorter ones). I plan to be writing an end-of-year post with thoughts on the year as a reading year and also post some statistics of the books I've read this year.

Just wanted to mention that I appreciate your writing in the name of the person you are quoting in your posts...it really helps context! :cool:

x

You're welcome, I'm glad it helps :).

x  

That's quite a pile of Stephen King books you got there Athena, although i didn't like his later books i did enjoy reading his earlier ones like Christine & The Dead Zone  :smile:

x

I'm glad to hear you liked the earlier ones :). I'm quite looking forward to Christine for some reason, somehow the story intrigues me. I might have read it before when I was a child, I'm not sure.

George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire 3: A Storm of Swords 1: Steel and Snow

11604911.jpg

Genre: Fantasy

Format: Paperback

Pages: 661 (including a fairly long appendix with names)

Synopsis (): (no synopsis because it's part of a series)

My thoughts: This is the first book of the third 'book' of the ASoIaF series. Since I finished watching season two, I thought it was a good time to continue reading the books. I wanted to know how the story continued.

I really enjoyed reading this book. You do feel that it's only part one of two, the tension isn't ramping up a lot more towards the end, like the first two books had. I expect that might happen in the second part (Blood and Gold). It didn't bother me though. It does feel odd to stop reading when the story isn't finished, but then again it won't be finished for a while and that's usual with series.

I enjoyed reading about the characters, some characters perhaps more than others. There were a few cringy bits, things related to sex or violence, that made me cringe. I didn't like reading these bits. While some were unnecessary and could easily have been left out (and I would've preferred that), others I can see are more integral to the plot and not so easily replaced with a softer scene.

The chronology of it all confused me a bit at first, a lot of things are happening at the same time. I must have been tired reading book two, since it seemed to me some events, that did happen in the TV series, were not discussed in either book two or this book. But I think that's just my memory being faulty, I looked it up on Wikipedia and it all did happen this way, so I'm not sure what happened with my memory. It could be that there's something wrong with my copy of the book but I didn't notice anything odd while reading it so I doubt it's that, it's probably my memory.

I love reading the more detailed descriptions of things or how certain characters interact. I enjoyed the second half of the book more than the first half, by then I was really into the story again.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

I'm really glad you enjoyed Storm of Swords - a perfect score, oh my! :giggle2: I remember really enjoying this one too. There are a few things that are in the TV series but not the books (such as the character of Ros), and with such a big series (with so many characters!) it's easy to get mixed up. :)

Diane Chamberlain - The Shadow Wife (Cypress Point)

12958645.jpg

Genre: Contemporary Fiction *

Format: Paperback

Pages: 490

Synopsis (GoodReads):Joelle D'Angelo's best friend, Mara, is left with brain damage after she suffers an aneurysm giving birth to her son. Alone and grieving, Joelle turns to the only other person who understands her pain: her colleague--and Mara's husband--Liam. What starts out as comfort between friends gradually becomes something more...something undeniable. Torn by guilt and the impossibility of her feelings for Liam, Joelle sets out determined to find help for Mara, no matter how unconventional the source. Her search leads her to a mansion in Monterey, California, and into the life of a woman shrouded in mystery. Carlynn Kling Shire is a healer and, according to Joelle's parents, saved Joelle's life when she was an infant. As Joelle is guided down an unfamiliar path by a woman keeping her own shocking secrets, she discovers that while some love is doomed, some love is destined to survive anything.

My thoughts: I've read three books by Diane Chamberlain and many others on the TBR. I love all her writing so far. I felt like reading another one of hers.

This book was amazing. The author really knows how to pull you into the story. I loved the characters, the story, the plot twists.. The book kept me guessing, I wanted to keep on reading. The book tells the story of Joelle, but intertwined are chapters of Carlynn's past. I loved this book, it was really great to read. It's a difficult dilemma and situation and it's not a light hearted book, it deals with serious issues.

It's a great read, and while I still love The Midwife's Concession the most, of the author's works, probably because it's the first one by her that I read, this one is really good too (like the other ones I've read). It made me remember all over again what I love so much about Diane Chamberlain's books. An excellent read, highly recommended if you like these kinds of books.

Personally I think Cypress Point is a nicer title than The Shadow Wife so why it's been republished under this title I don't know (I don't like it when they do that anyway).

* It is contemporary fiction but there are some chapters that take place in the past. Depending on where you put the line for historical fiction, these chapters may be considered that (personally I consider it historical if the story takes place before I was born).

Rating: ***** (10/10)

A few days ago I ordered and pre-ordered some books. Some should arrive in a bit, others (the pre-ordered ones) should arrive in 2014 once they're released and posted. I've never pre-ordered a book before. I look forward to reading them.

A few days ago I ordered and pre-ordered some books. Some should arrive in a bit, others (the pre-ordered ones) should arrive in 2014 once they're released and posted. I've never pre-ordered a book before. I look forward to reading them.

Ooh, what have you ordered ? If you have the time to list them. :smile:

I have ordered:

Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson - The Wheel of Time 14: A Memory of Light

Terry Brooks - The Dark Legacy of Shannara 3: Witch Wraith

Jodi Picoult - Storyteller

Brent Weeks - Lightbringer 2: The Blinding Knife

Nick Spalding - Love... 3: Love... Under Different Skies

Jenny Colgan - At the Cupcake Café 1: Meet Me at the Cupcake Café

Jenny Colgan - At the Cupcake Café 2: Christmas at the Cupcake Café

Diane Chamberlain - The Courage Tree

Kirstin Cashore - Graceling 3: Bitterblue

Henry Petroski - The Book on the Book Shelf

I'm quite excited about most of these books. In some cases I've been waiting quite some time for the paperback release. Two of the books are preordered but should be released soon. The rest should be here sooner but it might take a bit of time, since it's Christmas soon and they probably have a lot of orders (even though it's not meant for Christmas).

Athena

I hope you enjoy your books. I've not done much pre-ordering either. Maybe a couple times when I was really excited for a certain book to come out . I'm not very patient being on a waiting list ,so I usually just try to concentrate on other books til the new one is out .

Having a Kindle makes it a bit easier though. They just slide it in there when the day comes !

I love it when you pre-order a book and then forget that you've pre-ordered it, and it gives you a nice surprise by turning up unexpectedly one day. :D

Gaia, have you read other books by Terry Brooks? I have the first four but haven't read them yet - I hope to read them next year. Apparently they're turning some of them into a TV series! :)

I'm afraid I haven't read the ones I own yet :blush2:. I read the very first Shannara book in the library in Dutch back when I was a teenager and liked it, but I don't know how I'll like it now. I have a lot of his books left to read. I think what's been putting me off is starting a new fantasy series and the fact that some of the books are big omnibusses, so they're heavy to hold. I do plan on reading more fantasy series next year but we have to see how it goes..