Athena's Reading List 2013

Athena

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently they're turning some of them into a TV series! :)

x

Somehow I missed this sentence. Do you know which ones? That sounds like it could be pretty awesome :).

I know what you mean about some of the omnibuses. The trilogy I have is all one volume - it's enormous and weighs more than a brick.  :giggle2:

x

Yes :giggle2:! That's a bit awkward. To be honest I now wish I'd bought the individual volumes but at the time I saw it as money saved.

x

Somehow I missed this sentence. Do you know which ones? That sounds like it could be pretty awesome :).

x

Yes :giggle2:! That's a bit awkward. To be honest I now wish I'd bought the individual volumes but at the time I saw it as money saved.

Apparently it'll be based off the second novel in the main series, Elfstones of Shannara, because it's more interesting than the first one (which is apparently a bit of a Lord of the Rings rip-off). I read it here. :) 

I wish I'd bought them separately too! Imagine if we don't enjoy them? We'll both be stuck with these massive tomes and no idea what to do with them.  :giggle2:

(Sorry, still can't separate quotes!)

Apparently it'll be based off the second novel in the main series, Elfstones of Shannara, because it's more interesting than the first one (which is apparently a bit of a Lord of the Rings rip-off). I read it here. :) 

I wish I'd bought them separately too! Imagine if we don't enjoy them? We'll both be stuck with these massive tomes and no idea what to do with them.  :giggle2:

(Sorry, still can't separate quotes!)

x

It sounds good! And yes :giggle2:! Let's hope we enjoy them, instead.

What I do with the quotes is edit them in BBmode, split the quote in ie. two portions, copying the [ quote = name ] and putting that above the second portion. I put a [ / quote ] after the first and second portion. My comments go inbetween the quotes. So you'd have two quotes wrapped in [ quote = name ] and [ / quote ] tags. I don't know if you can follow what I'm saying, just trying to help.

x

It sounds good! And yes :giggle2:! Let's hope we enjoy them, instead.

What I do with the quotes is edit them in BBmode, split the quote in ie. two portions, copying the [ quote = name ] and putting that above the second portion. I put a [ / quote ] after the first and second portion. My comments go inbetween the quotes. So you'd have two quotes wrapped in [ quote = name ] and [ / quote ] tags. I don't know if you can follow what I'm saying, just trying to help.

Thanks for this Gaia. :) I didn't know you could put people's names in the quotes. Thanks! :D

I have The Shadow Wife on my TBR shelf, hopefully I'll around to it soon, plus I have Brass Ring, I tried this a few months ago but couldn't get into it, it was around the time we got the puppy though so I will give it another go. I have Kiss River and Keeper of the Light coming soon from Amazon as they were a steal at just £1 each!  Hopefully I will get to read them all in 2014! :)

Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones 3: Mad About The Boy

17999166.jpg

Genre: Chick-lit

Format: Paperback

Pages: 390

Synopsis: (no synopsis since it's part of a series)

My thoughts: I recently finished the second Bridget Jones book and really loved it, so I was eager to read the third book.

This is a great book! It takes place quite a few years after the second one, in 2012-2013. What has happened in between the two books, gradually unfolds over the course of the story. At first I found this a bit difficult, I really wanted to know what had happened! But then things became clearer and clearer, so this was all solved. I really enjoyed reading this book. One thing I missed was, it was not explained what happened with one of the characters from the previous books, or maybe I just missed it. Other than that, I loved all the other characters. It was really interesting to read about them, Bridget in particular. She's such a great character!

Since the book takes place in a 'nowadays' setting, technology plays a role in the story and I really enjoyed this. I don't know how it'll stand up in ten or twenty years time, when technology might be all different, but for now it was really enjoyable. I don't read a lot of books that talk about technology like this, it usually doesn't play much of a role in the stories that I read. So I quite enjoyed this contemporary setting (I do read contemporary books, it's just that usually technology doesn't play much of a role or isn't mentioned too much).

If you liked the first two Bridget Jones books, you'll like this one too, in my opinion. It's Bridget! I did feel that this book was perhaps slightly more serious than the other two, in parts, but personally I didn't mind this in the least.

Overall I highly recommend this book and the series made it onto my favourites list.

Rating: ***** (10/10)

Athena

I've never read or watched a Bridget Jones book or movie, but I hear they are very popular. It sounds as if you really enjoyed the book. Will this be the last, or do you think they'll write  another part ?

Athena

I've never read or watched a Bridget Jones book or movie, but I hear they are very popular. It sounds as if you really enjoyed the book. Will this be the last, or do you think they'll write  another part ?

x

I think it might be the last, but you never know! I haven't heard or read anything about it, to be honest I used to be more up-to-date with news but it's all been too tiring for me so I'm not reading much news anymore. If she does write a fourth one, I'd love to read it.

Glad you like Bridget Jones 3 - I loved the first two, but when I read an excerpt from the latest book in a newspaper, I just wasn`t that taken with it. Good to know it may be worth me adding it to my wish list afterall. :D

x

I think if you loved the first two, you'll like the third one. Was the excerpt from the beginning of the book? I thought that the first few pages weren't the best of the book, they confused me a bit and didn't seem as much "Bridget" as later on in the book. Maybe Amazon has a different excerpt available that you could read? I loved the book, anyhow. If you do get it at some point, I hope you like it :).

I loved the films but wasn't so struck on the books, which is really unusual for me. I'm glad you loved the series - maybe I'll have to give them another go! :D

x

I loved the films too, which I saw before I read the books. I like the books even more. Do you know what it was you didn't like so much? It might be worth it giving them another go :). The first book is quite close to the film.

I went into the charity shop and bought:

Megan Lindholm - The Reindeer People 2: Wolf's Brother (which was on my wishlist).

I also received some books that I ordered a while ago:

Kristin Cashore - Graceling Realm 3: Bitterblue

Brent Weeks - The Lightbringer Trilogy 2: The Blinding Knife

Jodi Picoult - The Storyteller

Diane Chamberlain - The Courage Tree

Nick Spalding - Love... 3: Love Under Different Skies

Jenny Colgan - At the Cupcake Café 1: Meet Me at the Cupcake Café

Jenny Colgan - At the Cupcake Café 2: Christmas at the Cupcake Café

Henry Petroski - The Book on the Book Shelf

as well as a DVD of the Muppets (a collection)! I'll be watching the films for the first time ever, for me. I'd love to read the Cupcake Café ones before Christmas but seeing it's already almost Christmas I don't think it'll happen at all! I ordered these a while ago, it took Amazon some time to prepare them to ship them here. I'm quite excited about most of these books, though in the case of the fantasy ones (the first two) I'll have to read the rest of their series first. The Book on the Book Shelf is a book about how we got from using papyrus scrolls to having books on the book shelf like we do now. I hope it'll be good. I loved Nick Spalding's first two books in the Love... series so I hope to also like this third book. I haven't read any Jenny Colgan before but Poppyshake liked the books so I think I will! I love Diane Chamberlain's books and Jodi Picoult's books so hopefully I'll like these two as well. Okay, I'm going to stop rambling about books for now :giggle:!

xx

I think if you loved the first two, you'll like the third one. Was the excerpt from the beginning of the book? I thought that the first few pages weren't the best of the book, they confused me a bit and didn't seem as much "Bridget" as later on in the book. Maybe Amazon has a different excerpt available that you could read? I loved the book, anyhow. If you do get it at some point, I hope you like it :).

x

Thanks, I hadn`t thought of doing that. :smile:

Rats, can`t use the spoiler thingy with this web browser. I don`t know which part of the novel the excerpt was from, but it was about Bridget`s neighbour and a dustbin and throwing something out... :smile:

Edited by Little Pixie

Exciting book acquisition news, Gaia! :D I'm interested to hear about the Reindeer one - I only found out quite recently that Megan Lindholm is Robin Hobb!

x

Yes, that's the reason I wanted it! The Megan Lindholm book series has been on my wishlist for a while so when I saw the second one for cheap I had to go for it (it was only 0.50€!). I hope it's good.

Scarlett Bailey - Just for Christmas

17612631.jpg

Genre: Chick-lit
Format: Paperback
Pages: 390 (457 if you include the two excerpts)
Synopsis (GoodReads): Her best friend's wedding...
When Alex Munro learns that the love of her life is getting married to another girl, all she wants is to be alone - and as far away from Edinburgh as possible.
Moving to a Cornish cottage, which comes complete with the world's scruffiest dog, Alex finds that her new neighbours are determined to involve her in their madcap Christmas festivities.
Then she meets her sexy neighbour Ruan - and somehow Alex doesn't want to be alone this Christmas after all. But having lost one fiancéé, Ruan has no intention of letting anyone get close to him again...

My thoughts: Since this is a Christmassy read I figured I'd better read it before Christmas, otherwise I'll have to wait another while before I can read it.

This was a great book. While I've classed it as chick-lit (and the cover certainly makes you think so), there's actually quite some depth to the book, more than you'd expect. Some serious themes and issues are discussed, but naming them might spoil the story so I won't do so (I'd be happy to tell you though if you're curious).

I loved the village that Alex moves to, I could really imagine what it was like to live there, it sounded very lovely. I liked most of the characters, there was only one I didn't like. In particular I liked Alex, but a lot of side characters are great too (ie. Buoy, the dog).

I enjoyed the story in this book. It wasn't overly Christmassy to me, though I think you might get more out of it if you read it just before Christmas. There were a few elements of Christian religion in the book (ie. a vicar), which I normally don't like, but they didn't bother me in this book (or rather, there perhaps wasn't enough of it to make it bothersome, which is good!).

Overall I quite enjoyed reading this book. It was a great read. I recommended it if you like chick-lit with a bit more depth.

Rating: ***** (9/10)