Your Book Activity Jan 2013

Michelle

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you think of 'The Beach'? I read this years ago and really enjoyed it, the film version however, is very disappointing and I remember feeling really annoyed that the film had parts which don't appear in the book :angry:

I've always been a bit of a fan of the movie although I haven't seen it for many years. I really enjoyed the book, it's much better than I expected it to be. After finishing the book I watched the movie and I kind of wish I hadn't. It wasn't as good as I remember it to be. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the movie, just no where near the extent I had in the past.

I'm almost reaching the halfway point of 'The Stand' by Stephen King and I'm still really enjoying it.

Awesome! It's such a compelling read, isn't it? It's one of my favorite books of all time, and the one I've re-read most.

I'm about 70% through PopCo. I'm starting to feel a tad irritable with this book. It just seems to be going on and on and on; the plot just doesn't seem suited to such a long book, but at the same time I can't think what should be cut out.

I read several Jo Nesbo books in a row last year when I was stressed and couldn't settle to reading anything else at all. They worked a treat! :)

They are great reads aren't they, The Snowman has definately been my favourite but I've enjoyed all of them - I love Harry Hole, what a character. :smile:

They are great reads aren't they, The Snowman has definately been my favourite but I've enjoyed all of them - I love Harry Hole, what a character. :smile:

I agree with The Snowman being the best although I haven't read any of the later ones yet. His books are great for rescuing a mojo that has gone missing.

I agree with The Snowman being the best although I haven't read any of the later ones yet. His books are great for rescuing a mojo that has gone missing.

Most definately! :smile:

Phantom is going to boost my mojo which is just begining to resurface after doing a runner. :D

I read some more of The Hot Zone last night and then I had trouble sleeping afterwards. Reading all about hemorrhagic viruses like Ebola really scared the bejesus out of me and made my skin crawl.

I have just finished reading 'The 5:2 Diet Book' by Kate Harrison. I have been intrigued by the claims made by supporters of this diet method, both the weght loss and the health factors, so wanted to read a litte more.

I attempted an alternate day calorie reduction diet 2-3 years ago and just made myself miserable and calorifically obsessed, so am sceptical about faddy claims made by new diets, but there may be something in it. Think I will have to read more, and ponder more before seeing if it's something I would want to try.

Most definately! :smile:

Phantom is going to boost my mojo which is just begining to resurface after doing a runner. :D

I so nearly bought Phantom on my way home last night. It was half price in Smiths. For some reason I resisted, I think because I want to reduce my TBR pile a bit first :shrug:

640 pages into The Eye of the World. 150 pages to go . . .

I'm about half way through Tomorrow, When The War Began now, and it's great so far!

:D I'm so happy you like it so far!

Finished Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, it was wonderful, beautiful written, suspenseful and unpredictable, I thought I had it sussed a quarter of the way in, boy was I wrong!! I'll definitely be reading more of her books in the future. :)

I thought I had started well by reading the excellent 'Hitler's Canary' by Sandi Toksvig, but having finished 'My Sister Lives On The Mantlepiece' by Annabel Pitcher today I am blown away with excitement for my reading in 2013. I highly recommend both of these young adult books. Now to devour my next read!

I will start this later today, I hope I find it's as good as you say! :)

I so nearly bought Phantom on my way home last night. It was half price in Smiths. For some reason I resisted, I think because I want to reduce my TBR pile a bit first :shrug:

:o That's real will power!

I find that having a kindle I can ignore the length of my TBR pile, cause it's not taking up shelf space :D

I'd be interested in what you think of My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece Chalie - I bought it in the 12 days of kindle sale :)

I'm only a quarter of the way through High Fidelity, but it's wonderful, and lovely to enjoy it so much after struggling with Life of Pi.

So far I've read (in January 2013):

Novels:

Sinéad Moriarty - The Baby Trail (re-read)

Sinéad Moriarty - A Perfect Match (re-read)

Sinéad Moriarty - From Here to Maternity (re-read)

Manga:

Keiko Tobe - With the Light 8: Raising an Autistic Child

Nagaru Tanigawa - The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan Vol. 1

Nagaru Tanigawa - The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan Vol. 2

I'm currently reading:

Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson - Wheel of Time 13: Towers of Midnight (so far it's pretty good).

Finished Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, it was wonderful, beautiful written, suspenseful and unpredictable, I thought I had it sussed a quarter of the way in, boy was I wrong!! I'll definitely be reading more of her books in the future. :)

So glad you enjoyed it Chalie :D The old movie of it with Lawrence Olivier playing Maxim was on at Christmas it's a bit dated now but still good, can't understand why there's never been a remake of it as it's such a good story.

I finished The Rector & The Doctor's Family before i went to bed last night and have decided to make The Red Tent by Anita Diamant my next read.

So glad you enjoyed it Chalie :D The old movie of it with Lawrence Olivier playing Maxim was on at Christmas it's a bit dated now but still good, can't understand why there's never been a remake of it as it's such a good story.

Oh I did, I read about the movie at the end of the book and apparently the story was changed to omit the major plot point?