Poppyshake's Reading Year 2013

poppyshake

I love it that you have an account for the house... But surely asking the infantry to help is going overboard... ? :giggle:

:D .. I'm sure they didn't mind .. they had a cuppa whilst they were here :giggle2:

No worries, I love having convos with you, and Alan's great, too, so it's only apt that your house should be the same kind of entertaining conversationalist as you ... :D:friends3:

:hug: Thanks :blush2: As long as it doesn't start having opinions on which books I put in it :o I will knock that on the head very smartly I can tell you ( :giggle:  I love the fact that my house was talking to you about incontinence pants :giggle:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:D I promise I will bear no ill-will towards you even if you like bacon :empathy:

That is a relief :D I promise also that I will keep my piggy munching to a minimum when you come to stay :D

I like sweet and salty combo's, too... My favorite it popcorn with vanilla icecream, yummy! :) And of course nuts with choccy... As in Rocky Road, for example. Yum! Oh and when I was in Australia, I tried this sandwich with all the normal bits, lettuce, ham, and all that, but there was also cranberry jam in it :o But it was deeeee-licious! :)

I like the sound of that .. we tend to put cranberry jelly (jam) in turkey sandwiches at Christmas and also I love redcurrant jelly with pâté :smile: mmmm ... Rocky Road :character0104: 

Oh that would be brilliant :D Here he was, going on and on about how you ought to read the Carter book, and then you'd say, very nonchalantly, 'oh that old book? I read that ages ago, myeah...' :D

It would be wicked but genius :D

:D I kinda know what you mean... The same thing happened with Stephen Fry's Hippopotamus, when I was still with ex. I'd had the book for a while, then he read it and said it was great, and I was going to read it, but then it was never the right time... Then whenever I asked out loud, 'what should I read next', he would say 'Hippopotamus!' :rolleyes::D This continued on even after we broke up. I would talk to him online and talk about books and he'd say 'read Hippopotamus!'. Then one time I read it, and then went online and asked ex which book I should read and he said the same old thing, and I told him, like 'oh btw' that I'd read it. :D

There's nothing like being nagged to put one off (and I so don't have a leg to stand on over this :blush2: .. I'm amazed I'm still upright :giggle:) I tend to dig my heels in :blush2:

So you keep on going for as long as you like :D I know you need to read it when you really want to, yourself :)

I will give in eventually when the time is right and I think he has suffered enough :empathy:  :D

I've actually added the book to my wishlist now :giggle: I went and googled it and it sounded great :D

I look forward to your review :D If you give it a favourable one I shall tell him I'm going to read it now as frankie says it's good :D .. what a great wheeze that will be :giggle: .. though it might seriously damage my chances of any more breakfasts in bed :D

Sliced Ruispala?!? How did you know about that :D Oh bless you two :hug:  I have to bring some with me when I come and visit! :)

I look forward to tasting it :smile:  .. does it make excellent toast do you know? :D

We are such dumb asses! But you know what? We could watch The Great Gatsby together! I know we can't watch it from a big screen but we'll have to make do :) Not doo-doo!

We will watch it in glorious 3D on Alan's TV .. whilst Alan prepares us some nibbles to nibble on :D

Ewwww.... I didn't know if it was spellt 'do-do' or 'doo-doo' so I googled 'do-do' and found nothing, then googled 'doo-doo' and ewww saw pics of doo-doos! :doh:  :D Ewwwww!!!

:D The dangers of the internet search :giggle2:  it's just not safe out there :D Thank you for not accompanying your post with a pic :smile: 

You know, I thought about you when I saw The Sound and the Fury on the 50 Most Challenging reads, and thought, Kay's going to be so happy it's on the list and she has already read the book... :D

I totally agree with that book being on the list :yes: I'd have put The Ambassadors on it too though.

Oh yeaaaaaaah! :lol::cool: So awesome! :friends3:Which books did you get? I hope Brothers Lionheart! Oooh you must tell me!

I'm not allowed to look at any of the books yet because they have all been hidden from me so that I can pretend to be surprised that Santa knew I'd like them  :giggle: I happen to know that they are the following though ..

Pippi Longstocking (well she's the famous Astrid character isn't she? .. I have heard of Pippi :blush2:)

Pippi in the South Seas

Pippi Goes Abroad (yay! .. I hope she comes here :giggle:)

Emil's Clever Pig (awww piggies :wub: ... they can start revolutions, herd sheep and build houses of bricks to outsmart stupid wolves so I know they are incredibly smart ... except perhaps Wilbur who had to get advice from a spider .. but then he was smart enough to know that a spider could save his bacon :smile:)

Emil and the Great Escape (did the pig help him :D)

Karlson Flies Again (once was enough for me :blush2: .. well twice actually but then this could be regarded as some sort of self-help :giggle:)  

Karlson on the Roof ( :o .. is he having trouble with his aerial?)

Lotta Makes a Mess (you have to .. once in a while .. was she under tremendous Christmas pressure? :D)

Lotta Says 'No'! (interested to read about her tactics .. always need tips on this :blush2:)

Emil and the Sneaky Rat (rats aren't like piggies .. but then I don't like to eat them so that's quite sneaky of them .. making themselves inedible and all :blush2:

so :( .. no Brothers Lionheart by the look of it. Never mind .. I can always add that one later :smile: 

:D You are a silly, silly woman!

:o I am Mrs Bennet :o   :D

Every single post of yours is informative and interesting, and you always make me laugh. :friends3: I bet even your one word posts in the quiz threads would have me in hysterics... :D

Bless you :friends0: I know that a little of me goes a long way .. so 5,000 posts must seem more like 100,000 :blush2:

Here's to the next 5,000 posts, I hope there are many toilet arrangements to be discussed! :D:flowers2:

There's not enough info on toilet arrangments I feel :blush2: .. for instance I have no idea how the Martians managed with regards to that  :giggle:

I honestly can't believe I missed your 5,000th!!! Congratulations on making it a nice even 5,000 :flowers2::cows::party::boogie::JC_cookies::exc::doowapstart::kiss:

:thanx: What a lovely celebration  .. cookies and all :wub:  :hug: 

Oh dear :(  I wonder how much you would've enjoyed it had you read it instead.

I do have a copy so will pick it up again one day :smile:

Cold jelly boobies :D I read the book in English, and yet I didn't find the language or the style odd in any way :shrug: I guess I don't mind quivering bosoms :shrug:

It's not really an odd thing to say .. I just didn't like it :blush2: 

This is so odd... I was actually going to ask you how you knew the book is set in the 1940s, because I don't remember it being said anywhere... Then I read the synopsis on your review... :D I don't know, maybe my copy didn't disclose that information.. I felt it was kind of timeless. I couldn't say which century it was, and I liked it about the book :)

I started off with the date in my head as the second sentence starts ..'it was the early summer of 1945' plus there were loads of references to the Spanish civil war in the backstory. I agree though, without those little clues I wouldn't have been able to place it or I would have placed it a lot earlier than that.

I'm very happy you enjoyed the actual story at least, even though you sussed it out long before.. I didn't see it coming :blush:

I only sussed out who was behind the book burning .. everything else was a surprise to me.

Have you seen this piece of news?  Happy times! :D

:D Isn't that just the cutest? :D Bless their little piggy hearts and bless the farmer for installing it. Even though I know they are probably destined for my sandwich :blush2: I'm glad they are having some piggy fun while they can. I reckon nobody can have fun quite as much as a pig .. they throw themselves into it :smile:

Great review! I know you're quite well-read on the subject of Dickens, I bet it was mighty interesting to read about him from the point of view of his daughter.

It's quite a light read .. I think she was, albeit quite gently, trying to set the record straight but some of my notions about him (being fastidious and whatnot) were confirmed.

But holy hell, his house inspections... :o I thought my Mom was bad when she insisted I make the bed every morning... And that was mostly it :shrug: (Although I thought it was too much... When I finally got my own room, I would just close the door and tell her nobody was going to see the unmade bed if they didn't go in... And she always did and made my bed if I hadn't done it myself, but she never said afterwards that she'd made it for me... Bless her. I think I had it kind of easy! :o)

Yes .. my Mum was pretty relaxed about it too .. she had already experienced one teenage daughter so she probably knew there wasn't a lot of point in trying to stem the tide. Every now and then she'd ask me to tidy but she knew that magically one day I'd turn into the sort of person who tidies clothes away and dusts and vacuums etc so she didn't nag much. There weren't such things as takeaway pizzas back then though so at least she didn't have half eaten food all over the place .. I don't think I ever ate anything in my room except maybe a biscuit or three :blush2:  Three cheers for our Mum's aye? :D Mr Dickens would have been very disagreeable (and I bet I'd have turned out to be a terribly sluttish housewife after all that hectoring .. though I would have had people picking up after me I suppose .. all the same I'm sure I would have thrown some cake crumbs about in protest :D)  

Anyhow, I think this is going on my wishlist! :) I have so and so many pages of your log to read, this is the first book going on my wishlist, I wonder how many it will come to after I've gone through all the unread posts on your log... :D Maybe 15, like the last time??

I've read some stinkers recently .. hope that helps :D 

I totally agree with that book being on the list :yes: I'd have put The Ambassadors on it too though.

I'm not allowed to look at any of the books yet because they have all been hidden from me so that I can pretend to be surprised that Santa knew I'd like them  :giggle: I happen to know that they are the following though ..

Pippi Longstocking (well she's the famous Astrid character isn't she? .. I have heard of Pippi :blush2:)

Pippi in the South Seas

Emil's Clever Pig (awww piggies :wub: ... they can start revolutions, herd sheep and build houses of bricks to outsmart stupid wolves so I know they are incredibly smart ... except perhaps Wilbur who had to get advice from a spider .. but then he was smart enough to know that a spider could save his bacon :smile:)

Karlson Flies Again (once was enough for me :blush2: .. well twice actually but then this could be regarded as some sort of self-help :giggle:)  

Lotta Makes a Mess (you have to .. once in a while .. was she under tremendous Christmas pressure? :D)

Lotta Says 'No'! (interested to read about her tactics .. always need tips on this :blush2:)

Emil and the Sneaky Rat (rats aren't like piggies .. but then I don't like to eat them so that's quite sneaky of them .. making themselves inedible and all :blush2:

so :( .. no Brothers Lionheart by the look of it. Never mind .. I can always add that one later :smile: 

x

I own Karlson on the Roof and might have also read a few of the other ones, I definitely know Pippi but mainly from a TV series.. I think I might have read the book too when I was a child (I read everything interesting that the library had for my age). I hope you enjoy the books :)!

P.S. It's a joy to visit this thread and read all the ramblements :giggle:! How long have you (Kay) and you (Sari) known each other? You talk like you've known each other for years and are very close friends. I think that's a wonderful thing to see. I hope you don't mind me saying so, I don't mean anything bad by it.

:D I had 52 in my head, too, for a long time! :giggle: I think it's because we thought it was 50 'normal' states and then Alaska and Hawaii. At least that's my excuse :giggle:

Yes .. that was my thinking exactly :D

:D Little did you know ... :D

Oh dear :giggle: Oh well .. all's well that ends well :D  

Yak :D You should've registered as elffaw... elf Faw... Aww! That would be a cute fantasy name :)

:D elffaw :D very apt  :D and I sound like something out of LOTR :smile:  If only I had thought of it but I was getting a bit desperate .. so many options were already taken  :blush2: 

I know Kay can do that all! :yes::cool:

Can I? :hide: I'm not so sure :wibbly: I'd have a go though .. as long as I could have frequent lie downs :D

My name is Iras backwards, which luckily doesn't mean anything, but I can't help but think that if you added 'st' in the middle, you would get 'irstas' which means 'debauched' :blush:

:D debauched! :giggle2: 

Oh dear... Oh Virginia... What is one to do with you? :shrug::blush:

I know ... the artful minx :D

It is unfortunate that you didn't enjoy this quite so much... 2/5? Oh dear... But I'm sure you are happy you read it anyway.... :empathy:

Yes  :smile: I am happy to have climbed that little bit further up Mount Virginia.

And for it to have been a Thursday as well... :D (I keep writing Thrusday... I wonder when I'll write Thrushday... :rolleyes:)

Thrushday!! :o I won't be putting that on my calendar :D  

I love the sound of this! Did you go back and get it? :)

No :( but I keep checking it's still there and it is :D .. I may get it yet.

Funny you should mention Twinkies... Twinkies was mentioned in my All American dictionary. And not only in a positive way.

Daniel James "Dan" White (September 2, 1946 – October 21, 1985) was a San Francisco supervisor who assassinated San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk, on Monday, November 27, 1978, at City Hall. In a controversial verdict that led to the coining of the legal slang "Twinkie defense", White was convicted of manslaughter rather than murder in the deaths of Milk and Moscone. White served five years of a seven-year prison sentence. Less than two years after his release, he returned to San Francisco and committed suicide. San Francisco Weekly has referred to White as "perhaps the most hated man in San Francisco's history."

And the Twinkie defense:

"Twinkie defense" is a derisive label for an improbable legal defense. It is not a recognized legal defense in jurisprudence, but a catchall term coined by reporters during their coverage of the trial of defendant Dan White for the murders of San Francisco city supervisor Harvey Milk and mayor George Moscone. White's defense was that he suffered diminished capacity as a result of his depression. His change in diet from healthy food to Twinkies and other sugary food was said to be a symptom of depression. Contrary to common belief, White's attorneys did not argue that the Twinkies were the cause of White's actions, but that their consumption was symptomatic of his underlying depression.

Whatever next? :roll2: Five years seems a shockingly short sentence for the murder (or .. manslaughter) of two people :o .. depression or no depression. Sugar is an absolute beast but you can't go around shooting people because you're a bit low and have eaten one too many doughnuts. If that were the case I'm pretty sure Alan could commit all sorts of crimes and lay the blame squarely ( :giggle:) at the door of Cadbury's :blush2: 

Oooh this sounds good! Going on my wishlist, thanks! :D Great review :smile2:

I'm pretty sure you will love it .. it's not in the least Marmite :D

:D Oh Bimbo... I promise I won't tease you about your name :empathy:  I did wonder about it... Glad you cleared it up :)

Bimbo knows you wouldn't :hug: 

Awwwww, that is a beautiful jumper! :)

.. and just in time for winter too :D I did get a little stuck and Mum had to help me out with the neckline :blush2: As a result she said she could probably knit him another in reverse as it were ... red jumper and beige heart :smile: I haven't told Bimbo yet .. he is so excited by this jumper goodness only knows what he will do when he has a choice :D 

What's his take on MB? :hide:  :giggle:

He hated it of course :D Tbh he doesn't like any books that aren't set in the south of England owing to my terrible attempts at accents :giggle:  Even then his toes ( :giggle:) curl if I stray anywhere near Cornwall or get too .. as he calls it .. 'Eliza Doolittle' :D  

It is very nice to make your acquaintance, Bimbo! :wub: I hope to meet you in person some day :)

He looks forward to it and hopes you will bring a furry friend .. though he may be embarrassed if you bought one of your Aussie posse because they may take offence over the whole Koala debacle ... if you would be good enough not to mention it to them he would be forever grateful :friends3: We did have a little convo about you bringing a Finnish furry friend .. I was worried they wouldn't be able to communicate but no .. Bimbo says that it's only humans who have trouble with stuff like that :blush2:

98????? :D That's bloody brilliant! When did this happen?? Wow.. I'm in awe!

I am very well pleased .. and I have kept up ... sort of :blush2: .. with reviews so that's another bun I'm owed :D

:thud:  And you've read a few real slogs, too! Wow... I'm speechless!

I'm glad I've read some long ones and some difficult ones and some downright horrid ones ... I probably would have exploded if I'd read 98 gems :D 

It's a lot of nonsense really :giggle: (and this is extra funny today because when Janet came to lunch yesterday she spied the copy on the shelf and as Alan was down in his man cave with Peter ... Janet and I were laughing about the book and making evil plans regarding it .. like what if I read it without him knowing and replaced it back on the shelf when he was at home so he didn't know .. and then just telling him at a later date .. 'oh that .. yeah .. I read it .. it was alright' .. which would totally spoil all his pleasures :D and then when he came back we were talking books and he leant over to the shelf and pulled it out and started recommending it to Janet .. we both fell about  :lol:

I can't believe I missed this! :lol:  Oh, it was so, so funny!  :rolol:

:D .. I'm sure they didn't mind .. they had a cuppa whilst they were here :giggle2:

:D I hope you have a dishwasher... Imagine having to wash all them dozens of cuppas!

:hug: Thanks :blush2: As long as it doesn't start having opinions on which books I put in it :o I will knock that on the head very smartly I can tell you ( :giggle:  I love the fact that my house was talking to you about incontinence pants :giggle:

I'm sure your house knows better than that! It's a very smart house, remember? :D Has a very wicked sense of humour. I hope you don't get too jealous if I get on with your house like a house on fire :giggle:

Just knowing that the house is wicked enough to talk about incontinence pants is proof of its excellent sense of humour, remember? :D

That is a relief :D I promise also that I will keep my piggy munching to a minimum when you come to stay :D

You are a very thoughtful hostess, aren't you! :)

I like the sound of that .. we tend to put cranberry jelly (jam) in turkey sandwiches at Christmas and also I love redcurrant jelly with pâté :smile:

I don't think I've ever had redcurrant jam... That's odd! I've had the berries and juice but that's it. Christmas turkey sandwiches sound yummy... I want to come and visit during Christmas :D:giggle: I wonder if you would like cloudberry jam...

And I wonder about the word jam... You say jelly, and I think my All American dictionary said Americans would use the word sauce for some things... So who says jam? Is it only a foreigner's word? :D

There's nothing like being nagged to put one off (and I so don't have a leg to stand on over this :blush2: .. I'm amazed I'm still upright :giggle:) I tend to dig my heels in :blush2:

:giggle: Well you have to stand your ground so that you won't end up under his slipper! (That's a Finnish saying and when someone's under another person's slipper it means that they do everything the other person says and don't have a say in anything. We wouldn't like that would we :no:)

I will give in eventually when the time is right and I think he has suffered enough :empathy:  :D

:D And they say that the most important things, that really matter to us, don't come easy... :giggle2:

I look forward to your review :D If you give it a favourable one I shall tell him I'm going to read it now as frankie says it's good :D .. what a great wheeze that will be :giggle: .. though it might seriously damage my chances of any more breakfasts in bed :D

Oh boy, I think that might be a bit too rich ... :lol: Especially if you didn't tell him you were going to read it, but would say years later that 'oh that book? I read it ages ago, frankie recommended it to me :shrug: ' :D

I don't think he would bring you breakfast in bed or anywhere else after that :D And he would hide the toast... And the toaster... :hide:  :o

I look forward to tasting it :smile:  .. does it make excellent toast do you know? :D

Um... :D This is going to be very disappointing but no, it doesn't. I don't think anyone really even tries toasting it... For one, the bread it very dark brown so one would never know when it's done. Sometimes I put some rye bread in the freezer, because I don't eat a lot of bread and if I buy a packet, it will go to waste because I'll never get to finishing it before it goes off. So when I take a few slices from the freezer, I could put them in the toaster to defrost it and warm it up... I'd actually quite forgotten that I used to do that. Nowadays I microwave it.

I'm not at all sure that you would like rye bread... It's probably not what you expect. It's not white bread with rye. It's all rye, through and through.

We will watch it in glorious 3D on Alan's TV .. whilst Alan prepares us some nibbles to nibble on :D

Oh yes! :D So you would let me watch something there? And not just have the credits roll so that I would have the sense to shake my head and say no? :giggle::D

I think I will have to bring something really nice to Alan because he might be in for a rough few days when I come and visit :blush: Surely we'll let him watch the movie with us if he wants to? Do you think he'd like more of the 'salty liquorice' or do you think he'd prefer tasting different Finnish chocolates?

:D The dangers of the internet search :giggle2:  it's just not safe out there :D Thank you for not accompanying your post with a pic :smile: 

:D I would never ruin your fantastic thread with pictures of poo!! :o:D

Now I understand the Henry James quip in the Book Activity thread :giggle: Poor Henry James... That's what you get for having a first name as your last name. :shrug::D

:D I'm happy you have your very own Santa's little helper, it must be quite nice :friends3:  Nobody's going to do that for me, and I don't think I would have the self restraint... :D I wonder if one can give oneself a restraining order... But who would oversee to that? No one :(

Pippi in the South Seas

:D I have freckles like Pippi, and I suppose I could die my hair red for when I'm coming to visit, and I could grow my hair again so I could have those pig tails... No, what are they called? Two braids on the sides, sticking out. I'll need steel wire to make them stick out... Then the metal detectors will have a field day with me at the airport... :D Maybe I'll just come as I am :D

Yes, I think Pippi is one of Astrid's most famous characters, along with Emil. I don't think I've read the books, but I did see a few of the movies or TV series when I was a kid. Have you see any of them? Pippi's house is amazing :o Oh and the candy they ate... Oh boy!

Emil is another classic... I'm not sure if any pigs helped him, though :D I don't think I've read any of those books, either... I've seen the movies and TV series :) It's very homey and comfy and .. quaint? The golden olden days... Sigh :)

Pigs are great, aren't they! Maybe I should get a pig before I can get a dog... I've started thinking about giving up pig meat. And cow meat. Well, any red meat. And not only because I like piggies etc., but also because too much red meat isn't all that good for one... But it's just a thought, I'm not going all HC with it... I do like ham :blush: And sausages, and everything.. And a Christmas without ham? Oh boy.... That's no good... :blush:

Self-help :D Yes maybe he wanted to switch to umbrellas and that's why he's on the roof. I hope somebody talks him out of it! I think I've actually read a Karlson book when I was a kid, but I can't remember anything about it... I think I enjoyed it :)

All this talk is really making me want to read all these Lindgren books!!! :D

:D First she made a mess and then she said no to cleaning it... I'm liking her already! Maybe it's a backlash to Charles Dickens... :D :D

Lotta is first on the list that I'm not at all sure about... I mean I don't know if I even know who she is :o

And looking at the list, it's a set of the younger children's books. At least that's what I would say. The books that are my favorites are perhaps for a bit older audience... Although Madicken is for younger kids, too, and so is the Six Bullerby Children... She has so many books and so many great characters that it must be difficult for the publishers to choose from :D

Yes, you can always get Brothers Lionheart later on... And there are few others I would recommend if you enjoy those Lindgrens that you now have :) I do hope you enjoy them all. Lindgren is so great :wub: I would give Tove Jansson over to the Swedes in heart beat if in turn we would get their Astrid Lindgren :blush: I know, that is very wicked of me :(

:o I am Mrs Bennet :o   :D

What?! :D No you are not! You silly, silly woman!

:lol:

Bless you :friends0: I know that a little of me goes a long way .. so 5,000 posts must seem more like 100,000 :blush2:

But you do realise, that that is only a good thing, right? :):friends3:

There's not enough info on toilet arrangments I feel :blush2: .. for instance I have no idea how the Martians managed with regards to that  :giggle:

:D We must look into it. I will google now ->

There was stuff on space poo, but the Martians I found were Martian astronauts :( I will have to investigate further... :D 

I started off with the date in my head as the second sentence starts ..'it was the early summer of 1945' plus there were loads of references to the Spanish civil war in the backstory. I agree though, without those little clues I wouldn't have been able to place it or I would have placed it a lot earlier than that.

The second sentence starts with the year? In the book? No way! :blush: How could I have missed that :D:blush: Unfokkingbelievable! :blush: I'm not too bothered that I missed the Spanish civil war references, I was always very lousy at history :( Oh brother...

:D Isn't that just the cutest? :D Bless their little piggy hearts and bless the farmer for installing it. Even though I know they are probably destined for my sandwich :blush2: I'm glad they are having some piggy fun while they can. I reckon nobody can have fun quite as much as a pig .. they throw themselves into it :smile:

The look on that little piggy's face when he saw there was a water slide... When he peeked in and realised what it was for... So cute! What a dear farmer, I wish him all the best! Yep, I think we could all learn a lot from piggies... Piggies and dogs! :)

928450-police-find-pig-and-dog.jpg

Okay, okay, I know you like cats very much, so here is one for you :)

_46706100_pigcat.jpg

Aren't they a cute couple! :wub:

It's quite a light read .. I think she was, albeit quite gently, trying to set the record straight but some of my notions about him (being fastidious and whatnot) were confirmed.

It must be a very hard thing to write about your own father... You want to be truthful but also fair. You want to give the right impression, but you don't want to slander the man... Very tricky business!

Yes .. my Mum was pretty relaxed about it too .. she had already experienced one teenage daughter so she probably knew there wasn't a lot of point in trying to stem the tide. Every now and then she'd ask me to tidy but she knew that magically one day I'd turn into the sort of person who tidies clothes away and dusts and vacuums etc so she didn't nag much. There weren't such things as takeaway pizzas back then though so at least she didn't have half eaten food all over the place .. I don't think I ever ate anything in my room except maybe a biscuit or three :blush2:  Three cheers for our Mum's aye? :D

Yes, we got rather lucky with our Moms :smile2: And right they were: we keep our places somewhat orderly... Well, sometimes more than others, but in general we don't live in filth :giggle:

Sometimes when I catch a video of a hoarder or someone who just doesn't clean up, I can see plates with left overs, and pizza boxes and everything, and I find it quite revolting. It's unhygienic! You will get insects buzzing around, won't you! :o

Mr Dickens would have been very disagreeable (and I bet I'd have turned out to be a terribly sluttish housewife after all that hectoring .. though I would have had people picking up after me I suppose .. all the same I'm sure I would have thrown some cake crumbs about in protest :D)  

Do you think you would've had to stand in order, next to your bed, when he would come in for an inspection? Rather like in the army? :D And you would blow (silent) raspberries his way when he turned his back... And then throw cake crumbs at his back? :D And then he'd turn over quickly because he'd be suspicious of you, knowing you character, and you'd have to quickly hide the rest of the cake behind your own back and look like you were doing nothing... :D I can imagine it very well in my head!

I've read some stinkers recently .. hope that helps :D 

I'm very sorry that you've read some stinkers lately :empathy: ... But yes, it did help a bit :giggle::blush::D

Yes .. that was my thinking exactly :D

I think Alaskans and Hawaiians ought to think very highly of us, we count them twice over :D I expect free plane tickets to these states from here on out! :P:giggle:

:D elffaw :D very apt  :D and I sound like something out of LOTR :smile:  If only I had thought of it but I was getting a bit desperate .. so many options were already taken  :blush2: 

Oh poppycock, poppyshake is a great name! :D

Can I? :hide: I'm not so sure :wibbly: I'd have a go though .. as long as I could have frequent lie downs :D

Sure, why not :D We all need to put our feet up every now and then, have chippies and read a book!

:D debauched! :giggle2: 

I have to say it's quite apt... Well I'm not debauched, but I have a debauched mind, sometimes :blush::giggle:

Thrushday!! :o I won't be putting that on my calendar :D  

:D That would be the day before gyne day :D Like a very weird two day holiday :o:lol:

Whatever next? :roll2: Five years seems a shockingly short sentence for the murder (or .. manslaughter) of two people :o .. depression or no depression.

I know! Although in general I think the States are way ahead of Finland in prison sentences... Over here criminals have it so easy :Tantrum:  Such ridiculously and appallingly short sentences. And I'm not the only one who feels this way... I think the public is very much thinking the same, but the stupid laws, they never change. :(

Sugar is an absolute beast but you can't go around shooting people because you're a bit low and have eaten one too many doughnuts. If that were the case I'm pretty sure Alan could commit all sorts of crimes and lay the blame squarely ( :giggle:) at the door of Cadbury's :blush2: 

:D I'm happy Alan's not the crime committing sort of fella...

I'm pretty sure you will love it .. it's not in the least Marmite :D

I think I shall, it sounds good and it's always reassuring when you recommend it :)

Bimbo knows you wouldn't :hug: 

Awww, I'm happy to hear Bimbo has faith in me. I'm sure you've had your hands in that!

.. and just in time for winter too :D I did get a little stuck and Mum had to help me out with the neckline :blush2: As a result she said she could probably knit him another in reverse as it were ... red jumper and beige heart :smile: I haven't told Bimbo yet .. he is so excited by this jumper goodness only knows what he will do when he has a choice :D 

:D Maybe the other jumper could be his formal wear? Like for holidays and such? And maybe Sundays? Does he go to church?

He hated it of course :D Tbh he doesn't like any books that aren't set in the south of England owing to my terrible attempts at accents :giggle:  Even then his toes ( :giggle:) curl if I stray anywhere near Cornwall or get too .. as he calls it .. 'Eliza Doolittle' :D  

:D He's quite picky, isn't he. Is Alan any better with the accents? I wonder what he shall say about my accent... I wonder if I'll dare speak

at all :D Oh I'm sure Bimbo will take it all in stride.. He's just as smart and cordial as your house :D

He looks forward to it and hopes you will bring a furry friend .. though he may be embarrassed if you bought one of your Aussie posse because they

may take offence over the whole Koala debacle ... if you would be good enough not to mention it to them he would be forever grateful :friends3: We

did have a little convo about you bringing a Finnish furry friend .. I was worried they wouldn't be able to communicate but no .. Bimbo says that it's only humans who have trouble with stuff like that :blush2:

Well, the problem is that I have my Australian posse, of course, and then only one Finnish furry friend, and he is not a keen traveler, he's never been outside North Karelia :blush: He is rather young, as well.

Now, Donnie on the other hand, he's a keen traveler and he's widely read, too. He loves to cuddle up and read with me every night when I go to bed. He is a Kelpie, so he only has eyes for sheep, so I'm not even sure he knows what a koala ought to look like! :) Isn't that great? I'm sure he would think nothing of Bimbo's... uncharacteristic looks :) And he also speaks English! :) And he could tell Bimbo about Kylie and he's met Kylie's Mum and Dad, too! :) Great stories to share :)

I am very well pleased .. and I have kept up ... sort of :blush2: .. with reviews so that's another bun I'm owed :D

Well color me blimey! :D Well done, poppyshake! :friends3::JC_cookies:

I can't believe I missed this! :lol:  Oh, it was so, so funny!  :rolol:

I can only imagine... :D That was an incontinence pants moment, for sure! :D

Edited by frankie

:D I hope you have a dishwasher... Imagine having to wash all them dozens of cuppas!

Actually I havent :o .. that is, I have one in looks only, it broke over a year ago and I'm still having to be poor Cinders and wash dishes by hand :(:D Luckily they helped me out .. they were very helpful and obliging infantrymen :giggle:

I'm sure your house knows better than that! It's a very smart house, remember? :D Has a very wicked sense of humour. I hope you don't get too jealous if I get on with your house like a house on fire :giggle:

I can't promise anything :blush2: .. if I get annoyed though I shall slam its doors very hard :giggle2:

Just knowing that the house is wicked enough to talk about incontinence pants is proof of its excellent sense of humour, remember? :D

That's true .. though my house is aware of what can happen as a result of excessive laughter :giggle: :blush2:  ;)  :D  

I don't think I've ever had redcurrant jam... That's odd! I've had the berries and juice but that's it. Christmas turkey sandwiches sound yummy... I want to come and visit during Christmas :D:giggle: I wonder if you would like cloudberry jam...

I love the sound of it :smile: I don't know why we don't have it .. we get enough clouds :D I wish you would come at Christmas .. you could help me recover from my nervous breakdown :D

And I wonder about the word jam... You say jelly, and I think my All American dictionary said Americans would use the word sauce for some things... So who says jam? Is it only a foreigner's word? :D

We actually say jam for nearly everything .. weirdly cranberry and redcurrant are both called jelly .. though I think it's because they're slightly more set. You can also get redcurrant and cranberry sauce which are more runny. Usually jelly comes in dessert form (like in a trifle) and it sits on the plate and just wobbles .. you can't spread it on bread (unless it's redcurrant or cranberry .. very confusing .. why did they mess it up? :D .. stick to one or the other :censored:)

:giggle: Well you have to stand your ground so that you won't end up under his slipper! (That's a Finnish saying and when someone's under another person's slipper it means that they do everything the other person says and don't have a say in anything. We wouldn't like that would we :no:)

Is it like being 'under the thumb'? I like the term 'under the slipper' .. it's a neat expression but slightly terrifying :hide:  :D I don't want to be under anyone's slipper :no: I'd take that slipper and bash them with it smiley-angry009.gif :D 

Oh boy, I think that might be a bit too rich ... :lol: Especially if you didn't tell him you were going to read it, but would say years later that 'oh that book? I read it ages ago, frankie recommended it to me :shrug: ' :D

Rich yes .. but delicious :D

I don't think he would bring you breakfast in bed or anywhere else after that :D

Probably not .. though I can get very grouchy .. breakfast in bed is a way of staving off the grouch :giggle: I am NOT a morning person :blush2:  

And he would hide the toast... And the toaster... :hide:  :o

:o No!! ... he values his life doesn't he? :giggle2:

Um... :D This is going to be very disappointing but no, it doesn't. I don't think anyone really even tries toasting it... For one, the bread it very dark brown so one would never know when it's done. Sometimes I put some rye bread in the freezer, because I don't eat a lot of bread and if I buy a packet, it will go to waste because I'll never get to finishing it before it goes off. So when I take a few slices from the freezer, I could put them in the toaster to defrost it and warm it up... I'd actually quite forgotten that I used to do that. Nowadays I microwave it.

I'm not at all sure that you would like rye bread... It's probably not what you expect. It's not white bread with rye. It's all rye, through and through.

Ah well I like bread too so I'm sure we'll still be friends. I've had German rye bread which was black and heavy like a brick. I didn't mind it though we used what was left as a doorstop :giggle2: I'm sure it would be good if slightly warmed in the toaster. Nearly everything benefits from toasting .. except chocolate .. chocolate won't co-operate :D  

Oh yes! :D So you would let me watch something there? And not just have the credits roll so that I would have the sense to shake my head and say no? :giggle::D

Definitely :D Mum had a very tight schedule :D  

I think I will have to bring something really nice to Alan because he might be in for a rough few days when I come and visit :blush: Surely we'll let him watch the movie with us if he wants to? Do you think he'd like more of the 'salty liquorice' or do you think he'd prefer tasting different Finnish chocolates?

Alan likes choccy and Alan likes sweets. He loves the 'salty liquorice' and he loves 'super sours' which he is meaning to send you some of (and he will soon.) All I'll say is .. go careful who you give them to and make sure anyone who tastes them is standing near a bin :giggle2:

:D I would never ruin your fantastic thread with pictures of poo!! :o:D

I cannot express my gratitude enough :flowers2:  :D

x

I own Karlson on the Roof and might have also read a few of the other ones, I definitely know Pippi but mainly from a TV series.. I think I might have read the book too when I was a child (I read everything interesting that the library had for my age). I hope you enjoy the books :)!

Thanks Gaia x :smile:

P.S. It's a joy to visit this thread and read all the ramblements :giggle:! How long have you (Kay) and you (Sari) known each other? You talk like you've known each other for years and are very close friends. I think that's a wonderful thing to see. I hope you don't mind me saying so, I don't mean anything bad by it.

Of course not and I'm glad you enjoy our ramblements :D We have known each other since I joined the forum in 2009 though probably we've only been rambling together for a couple of years :D It's very strange .. we've never met .. but we have a close connection and are on the same wavelength I think :blush2: We hope to meet soon and then goodness only knows how much rambling we'll do and laughing .. I've got to get a waterproof sheet to go over my sofa apparently :giggle2:  :giggle: in case we laugh too much :blush2:  ;)  

Actually I havent :o .. that is, I have one in looks only, it broke over a year ago and I'm still having to be poor Cinders and wash dishes by hand :(:D Luckily they helped me out .. they were very helpful and obliging infantrymen :giggle:

Oooh! You gotta love obliging gentlemen :wub::giggle: Ones who don't mind getting their hands dirty soapy and clean.

I can't promise anything :blush2: .. if I get annoyed though I shall slam its doors very hard :giggle2:

Ouch :D I'm sure it would feel it! Feel it badly indeed :giggle:

That's true .. though my house is aware of what can happen as a result of excessive laughter :giggle: :blush2:  ;)  :D  

Yes... Water damage in houses is cruel, cruel, cruel :giggle:

I love the sound of it :smile: I don't know why we don't have it .. we get enough clouds :D I wish you would come at Christmas .. you could help me recover from my nervous breakdown :D

:D Are you sure I wouldn't just lead you to another one? With the water damage and all?? :D

We actually say jam for nearly everything .. weirdly cranberry and redcurrant are both called jelly .. though I think it's because they're slightly more set. You can also get redcurrant and cranberry sauce which are more runny. Usually jelly comes in dessert form (like in a trifle) and it sits on the plate and just wobbles .. you can't spread it on bread (unless it's redcurrant or cranberry .. very confusing .. why did they mess it up? :D .. stick to one or the other :censored:)

Very intriguing! Thank you for clearing it up. I will try and remember that cranberry and redcurrant are usually jelly, but I won't promise I will remember. I love learning new things :) Yes, I think sauce-jam-jelly is about the runniness of the product. But now, what if we turned it up a notch and threw 'marmelade' in the mix  :roll2: :D

Confused? You won't be, after this episode of.... Soap!

Is it like being 'under the thumb'? I like the term 'under the slipper' .. it's a neat expression but slightly terrifying :hide:  :D I don't want to be under anyone's slipper :no: I'd take that slipper and bash them with it smiley-angry009.gif :D 

Yes, it's exactly like being under the thumb! :yes: Being under the slipper is loads more terrifying... You might get slipper prints all over your gorgeous face! :o

Remind me not to ever put you under my slipper... :hide:  :D

:o No!! ... he values his life doesn't he? :giggle2:

Of course he does, of course he does! Don't be afraid... I was only jesting! :empathy:  :D

Ah well I like bread too so I'm sure we'll still be friends. I've had German rye bread which was black and heavy like a brick. I didn't mind it though we used what was left as a doorstop :giggle2: I'm sure it would be good if slightly warmed in the toaster. Nearly everything benefits from toasting .. except chocolate .. chocolate won't co-operate :D  

Doorstop ... :D I think the German rye bread is similar to ours, but I wouldn't let you use ours as a doorstop :o:D I would eat it myself and think that you just don't know what's good for you :giggle: (Seriously speaking, if you only have white bread in your neck of the woods, I think rye bread would be an acquired taste... So I do understand :))

Cholate and jelly... the un-co-operative food groups we love the most :D

Definitely :D Mum had a very tight schedule :D  

You know why that was? Because she thought she was in Finland and had to walk back :D

Alan likes choccy and Alan likes sweets. He loves the 'salty liquorice' and he loves 'super sours' which he is meaning to send you some of (and he will soon.) All I'll say is .. go careful who you give them to and make sure anyone who tastes them is standing near a bin :giggle2:

:D Awww, he's too sweet :) Is he the kind of person who likes most things? Is there something he really doesn't or wouldn't like? Just so I would know not to send something particular in the future...

Oh and this is just a general question: do you have liqueur chocolates in the UK? Chocolates that have liqueur inside? Like brandy, whisky, or some such. I love those... I like the cloudberry liqueur chocolates the best. I would send you some but I know they are really fragile and would only get ruined on their way, and liqueur chocolates that have been knocked about are no good at all :no:

Now I understand the Henry James quip in the Book Activity thread :giggle: Poor Henry James... That's what you get for having a first name as your last name. :shrug::D

Quite! :D Actually the jury's still out on Henry .. I thought it had come in and given its verdict but no .. it was still deciding :D While this story (The Turn of the Screw) is oodles more enjoyable than the other book (which I have a Madame Bov like aversion to naming now :giggle:) he still writes in a peculiar way and his characters are odd .. none of them acting like normal. Now I like an abnormal character as much as the next man .. but these ones are just frustrating. I haven't finished it yet so I might change my mind but so far .. he has only taken a few teeny tiny steps up the ladder .. and as he was starting at the bottom he can't even see into my first floor window yet :D Also I was thinking about The Little Stranger yesterday after visiting Ruth's blog and that got me to thinking that a similar thing could be happening in this story but then I could be wrong and have it all ar*e upwards  :giggle:   

:D I'm happy you have your very own Santa's little helper, it must be quite nice :friends3:  Nobody's going to do that for me, and I don't think I would have the self restraint... :D I wonder if one can give oneself a restraining order... But who would oversee to that? No one :(

I don't know about 'helper' .. 'obstructer' might be more the word :giggle: I am not a peeper .. I did used to be as a kid but my Christmas was once ruined when I peeped at all my presents prior to the big day (not quite sure why Santa dropped them off so early into my mum's wardrobe .. and why his elves didn't wrap them .. I imagine he has years when he feels a bit pressured or maybe he has to make occasional cutbacks :shrug:) So, anyway, I can be trusted is all I'm saying but Alan thinks not :mad:  I hope very much that you get a Santa's little helper soon :friends0: .. maybe Santa will bring you one :D I haven't much influence with him but I will wish for it very much :hug: 

:D I have freckles like Pippi, and I suppose I could die my hair red for when I'm coming to visit, and I could grow my hair again so I could have those pig tails... No, what are they called? Two braids on the sides, sticking out. I'll need steel wire to make them stick out... Then the metal detectors will have a field day with me at the airport... :D Maybe I'll just come as I am :D

Oh .. I am very much longing to see you as Pippi now :D I don't know what literary character I could dress up as (Frankenstein's monster? :D) but it would be nice. I could be one of the twins from St Clares but which one? :giggle:   

Yes, I think Pippi is one of Astrid's most famous characters, along with Emil. I don't think I've read the books, but I did see a few of the movies or TV series when I was a kid. Have you see any of them? Pippi's house is amazing :o Oh and the candy they ate... Oh boy!

No .. I know nothing about her at all .. but I like her already :D

Pigs are great, aren't they! Maybe I should get a pig before I can get a dog... I've started thinking about giving up pig meat. And cow meat. Well, any red meat. And not only because I like piggies etc., but also because too much red meat isn't all that good for one... But it's just a thought, I'm not going all HC with it... I do like ham :blush: And sausages, and everything.. And a Christmas without ham? Oh boy.... That's no good... :blush:

Is pork considered red meat? .. I thought it was white meat :blush2: .. only I know pork is bad for you so it's quite irrelevant what colour it is :giggle: It's difficult to digest apparently. I couldn't go without meat but I do try and limit it and eat more fish and go vegetarian more often. I could not have Christmas without ham or pigs in blankets :character0104: 

Self-help :D Yes maybe he wanted to switch to umbrellas and that's why he's on the roof. I hope somebody talks him out of it! I think I've actually read a Karlson book when I was a kid, but I can't remember anything about it... I think I enjoyed it :)

All this talk is really making me want to read all these Lindgren books!!! :D

:D First she made a mess and then she said no to cleaning it... I'm liking her already! Maybe it's a backlash to Charles Dickens... :D :D

Lotta is first on the list that I'm not at all sure about... I mean I don't know if I even know who she is :o

And looking at the list, it's a set of the younger children's books. At least that's what I would say. The books that are my favorites are perhaps for a bit older audience... Although Madicken is for younger kids, too, and so is the Six Bullerby Children... She has so many books and so many great characters that it must be difficult for the publishers to choose from :D

I am happy to start at the beginning and work my way up .. I'll get a feel for her writing that way. She will be very good company for my Roald Dahl books. I only really read Enid as a child so missed out on lots of good stuff. Enid was so prolific that I was probably 20 by the time I got through her :giggle: I am very impressionable though so it'll probably lead to me making lots of messes and saying 'no' a lot .. I hope I dont attempt to either get a pig (would love one but .. where would the poor thing live? .. and it wouldn't be fair on it to smell bacon crisping in the pan every Sat morning  :o  :empathy::D) or get on the roof .. in one way it might be a good thing because we do have a few loose tiles which need fixing and our aerial could do with pointing in a different direction but I hate heights and get vertigo so not wise. I would probably fall off and maim myself .. and as Alan says .. end up being a bigger nuisance than I am now :o :D  

Yes, you can always get Brothers Lionheart later on... And there are few others I would recommend if you enjoy those Lindgrens that you now have :) I do hope you enjoy them all. Lindgren is so great :wub: I would give Tove Jansson over to the Swedes in heart beat if in turn we would get their Astrid Lindgren :blush: I know, that is very wicked of me :(

It's not wicked at all .. you are only stating a preference. And Tove will get a chance to improve her rating with you when we read the Moomins .. if she fails then she can't say you haven't given it a fair trial :D 

What?! :D No you are not!

Phew!

You silly, silly woman!

:confused::D

:D We must look into it. I will google now ->

There was stuff on space poo, but the Martians I found were Martian astronauts :( I will have to investigate further... :D

Just as I thought .. they didn't do enough analysis on it. They figured out how they ate (injected blood straight from humans into themselves .. no munching, no snacking and no worrying about their 'five a day' :giggle:) but didn't figure how they got rid of ... waste :blush2: It might have been what killed them in the end. I haven't been to Horsell Common but perhaps the toilet facilites are shocking and maybe Martians are used to better. Or it could've been embarrassment .. I mean they didn't mind blasting us with heat rays and poisoning us with gas but maybe they didn't like to 'go' in front of us .. being new acquaintances and all :shrug:   

The second sentence starts with the year? In the book? No way! :blush: How could I have missed that :D:blush: Unfokkingbelievable! :blush: I'm not too bothered that I missed the Spanish civil war references, I was always very lousy at history :( Oh brother...

Awww .. not to worry :hug: .. I think I only took it in because it came as a surprise to me that the book was dated in that period.

The look on that little piggy's face when he saw there was a water slide... When he peeked in and realised what it was for... So cute! What a dear farmer, I wish him all the best! Yep, I think we could all learn a lot from piggies... Piggies and dogs! :)

928450-police-find-pig-and-dog.jpg

So sweet .. I'm sure we could learn a lot .. how to have the best fun for a start :smile:  

Okay, okay, I know you like cats very much, so here is one for you :)

_46706100_pigcat.jpg

Aren't they a cute couple! :wub:

Cute as anything .. but I know kittens and I know piggies .. trouble is brewing :D

It must be a very hard thing to write about your own father... You want to be truthful but also fair. You want to give the right impression, but you don't want to slander the man... Very tricky business!

Yes .. and she did a good job in painting a clearer pic of what he was like as a dad. It's much better to read it from her point of view than just to read a biographer's opinions .. even if she did sanitize it a bit.

Yes, we got rather lucky with our Moms :smile2: And right they were: we keep our places somewhat orderly... Well, sometimes more than others, but in general we don't live in filth :giggle:

No .. a bit of dust now and then and a few crumbs but definitely not filth.