poppyshake

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kay

I swear ,your reviews could make the World Book Encyclopedia sound like something I need to rush right out to buy . After about 17 seconds ( including time it took to click on the amazon page ), I came out with The Luminaries on my Kindle .

( Note to self : Christmas is a time of giving,  :guess:     so stop GIVING gifts to yourself ) ... Grumble..Grumble...

Anyhow, I'm a sucker for a book that wins an award . The reviews are holding steady at 4 stars ,but the number sold keep increasing ,so :

SOLD to the old lady with Empty Pockets. !!!!

They just became a bit emptier .  :doh:

The book looks beautiful! I hope you enjoy the rest of the stories :)!

I'm really liking it so far .. perfect reading for this time of year :)

I'll have to get you to teach me! Maybe I can get my partner to buy me more books :giggle2:

I could give lessons in it :D .. I think though that Alan views books like sedatives :giggle: if he throws the odd one my way then it might keep me calm and happy for a few more weeks  :blush2:  

Kay

I swear ,your reviews could make the World Book Encyclopedia sound like something I need to rush right out to buy . After about 17 seconds ( including time it took to click on the amazon page ), I came out with The Luminaries on my Kindle .

( Note to self : Christmas is a time of giving,  :guess:     so stop GIVING gifts to yourself ) ... Grumble..Grumble...

Anyhow, I'm a sucker for a book that wins an award . The reviews are holding steady at 4 stars ,but the number sold keep increasing ,so :

SOLD to the old lady with Empty Pockets. !!!!

They just became a bit emptier .  :doh:

Oh Julie :blush2: I do hope it's going to be your sort of thing :blush2: I will keep my fingers crossed you enjoy it :friends0: 

I think, despite the empty pockets, that Christmastime is a time for giving to yourself as well as everyone else .. after all you absolutely know what you want so there's no guesswork involved  :D We need little rewards :smile: 

Anyway .. what do you think these might be??? :lurker:

kaysprezzies.jpg

Alan did them up this morning and let me glance at them for five mins .. though no touching :( They look like books .. they all seem to be the same size and there's six of them so possibly a set of something. They're larger than a normal paperback so I'm guessing they're hardbacks though I can't be sure. He's hidden them away now :blush2: I wouldn't snoop but he's taking no chances :blush2:  ... I'm excited now :boogie: I think :D .. there weren't any sequels to Carter Beats the Devil were there? :D 

I'm puzzled actually because I haven't hinted for six of anything :D 

I don't think there's any rules about *who* you have to give to, Julie, so I think you're doing Christmas just right! ;)

I could give lessons in it .. I think though that Alan views books like sedatives :giggle: if he throws the odd one my way then it might keep me calm and happy for a few more weeks    

Aha! There's our first (and possibly most important) lesson. Make our partners, parents, children, siblings etc think that we will only be quiet and happy as long as they keep giving us books. :D

You are very wise, O Poppyshake. post-3835-0-37409100-1386493688.gif

I think, despite the empty pockets, that Christmastime is a time for giving to yourself as well as everyone else .. after all you absolutely know what you want so there's no guesswork involved  :D We need little rewards  

I'm glad you said that, because I've been busy giving to myself all weekend! 

Alan did them up this morning and let me glance at them for five mins .. though no touching :( They look like books .. they all seem to be the same size and there's six of them so possibly a set of something. They're larger than a normal paperback so I'm guessing they're hardbacks though I can't be sure. He's hidden them away now  I wouldn't snoop but he's taking no chances   ... I'm excited now  I think  .. there weren't any sequels to Carter Beats the Devil were there?  

I love how you've carefully analysed the presents. :lol: And I love that Alan let you look at them for 5 minutes and then hid them from you. :giggle:  What a cute birdie on the top!

I don't believe there are any sequels to Carter Beats the Devil, but...

ETA:  I hope it's not six identical copies of Carter Beats the Devil:giggle:

:haha:

Oh wow - they look amazing.

Alan is such a sweetheart!

He is isn't he :wub:  

ETA:  I hope it's not six identical copies of Carter Beats the Devil

.. or perhaps he isn't :D Is this his way of getting his own back Janet? I have been quite merciless with him over his wretched recommendations :giggle: No .. surely not .. :wibbly: .. he knows that after turkey wrestling, indigestion and too much booze (and this is at 9am :D) I haven't much of a sense of humour left .. he doesn't want to end up wearing his dinner :D   

Aha! There's our first (and possibly most important) lesson. Make our partners, parents, children, siblings etc think that we will only be quiet and happy as long as they keep giving us books. :D

You have to be quite troublesome for it to work and I'm sure you could never be that Kylie :friends0: 

You are very wise, O Poppyshake.

Are you sure? :unsure:  :D

I'm glad you said that, because I've been busy giving to myself all weekend!

And now we need to know the details .. I shall pop to your bookblog to check for clues  :D

I love how you've carefully analysed the presents.  And I love that Alan let you look at them for 5 minutes and then hid them from you.   What a cute birdie on the top!

The thing is, he could have hidden them as a complete surprise but he wants me to stew over it :blush2:

I don't believe there are any sequels to Carter Beats the Devil, but...

:haha:

I can see I'm going to have to practice my 'yeah .. I knew that' face :D .. very difficult when you're thinking murderous thoughts :giggle: 

He is isn't he :wub:  

.. or perhaps he isn't :D Is this his way of getting his own back Janet? I have been quite merciless with him over his wretched recommendations :giggle: No .. surely not .. :wibbly: .. he knows that after turkey wrestling, indigestion and too much booze (and this is at 9am :D) I haven't much of a sense of humour left .. he doesn't want to end up wearing his dinner :D   

He wouldn't dare!! 

He wouldn't dare!! 

Hmmm .. I'm not so sure :o At least I'm prepared .. sort of :blush2: I think it's pretty difficult to get hold of hardback copies of CBTD (haha .. I've just checked :giggle:) .. they would have to be second hand copies and have come from different sources (and I would have noticed all those different parcels coming through I think .. I'm a bit of a rottweiler with the post :D) but then I'm only assuming they're hardbacks .. they could be large format paperbacks that just look quite solid.

I think I am over thinking this :giggle: 

christmascupcakecafe.jpg
Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan

Amazon's Synopsis: Issy Randall, proud owner of the Cupcake Cafe, is in love and couldn't be happier. Her new business is thriving and she is surrounded by close friends, even if her cupcake colleagues Pearl and Caroline aren't quite as upbeat about the upcoming season of snow and merriment. But when her boyfriend Austin is scouted for a possible move to New York, Issy is forced to face up to the prospect of a long-distance romance. And when the Christmas rush at the cafe - with its increased demand for her delectable creations - begins to take its toll, Issy has to decide what she holds most dear.
This December, Issy will have to rely on all her reserves of courage, good nature and cinnamon, to make sure everyone has a merry Christmas, one way or another.

Review: I really enjoyed listening to Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe so was instantly interested in visiting it again .. but this time at Christmas :stocking: This is the time of year when I don't want to listen to anything too involved or complicated. I'll probably be listening when baking and walking to and from the shops so anything that can help calm is an asset and preferable to gin  :blush2: As with her other book, the chapters start with recipes (and this is where an actual paper copy would come in handy because just listening to them is not much help .. unless you can do shorthand :D) Christmassy ones this time which are, for the most part, very tempting .. though there is one for a rubbish cupcake which is full of chemicals and additives (a little sideswipe directed at the cupcake chains.) I'm not remotely interested in making those but I expect I have eaten a few :giggle:

Now, it has to be said that the story is a little bit clichéd .. probably more so than the first book .. and it has a plotline to rival one of those made-for-TV Christmas movies that are just slightly corny. However I do particularly like this set of characters and I like Jenny's sense of humour too which stops anything from getting too sentimental or ridiculous. Also it's Christmas and I can do corny then without much difficulty :blush2:
You probably do have to be into cupcakes in a big way to seriously enjoy it :blush2: Great, escapist, comfy, cosy, fluffy, reading .. festived out to the max :D 4/5

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more sequels .. some ends didn't seem quite tied and I think it's proving to be a popular series. I really enjoy the narration so would probably visit again. I've just noticed that she's also written Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop .. hmmmm that would be a follow on to Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop of Dreams which I also listened to earlier this year .. I am tempted but it may have to wait until next year now.

Anyway .. what do you think these might be??? :lurker:

kaysprezzies.jpg

Alan did them up this morning and let me glance at them for five mins .. though no touching :( They look like books .. they all seem to be the same size and there's six of them so possibly a set of something. They're larger than a normal paperback so I'm guessing they're hardbacks though I can't be sure. He's hidden them away now :blush2: I wouldn't snoop but he's taking no chances :blush2:  ... I'm excited now :boogie: I think :D .. there weren't any sequels to Carter Beats the Devil were there? :D 

I'm puzzled actually because I haven't hinted for six of anything :D 

Maybe they're the next six Malazan books :o

Great review, Kay :)! I have two books by this author on my shelf (Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams and The Loveliest Chocolate Shop In Paris), I had no idea she has written some Christmassy books too. It sounds like a book I'd enjoy :).

Maybe they're the next six Malazan books.

:o  :wibbly:  :drama: I've been thrown into a depression that even mince pies can't lift me from ;) :D  :empathy:  :hug:  

Great review, Kay! I have two books by this author on my shelf (Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams and The Loveliest Chocolate Shop In Paris), I had no idea she has written some Christmassy books too. It sounds like a book I'd enjoy.

Thanks Gaia :smile: Yes .. they are very easy on the eye/ear :D Perfect relaxing reads.

I am really excited to see what books they may be! I can't wait till you open them.

So am I Deborah  :boogie: .. but if it turns out to be a joke .. I am keeping those two Abercrombie books I've bought him :D I've also got him Breakfast with Lucian (Freud) and I'll have to give it to him because it won't be remotely useful to me :blush2: .. I'll be disgruntled though .. if he gets books and I get a practical joke :badmood: .. it would serve me right though for being an awkward minx :blush2: .. yes I do believe I've put myself on the naughty list this year.

I think I will make him all his favourite food from now to Christmas :D He's a man so he won't suspect a thing ;) It won't change what's in the parcels but it might make him head to Waterstone's for a softener :D

I'm going to ask for a clue :smile: .. he can only say no :blush2: 

.. he said no :D  :giggle2: 

:giggle2:  You're a better woman that I Kay, I'm rubbish with surprises, I would be hunting high and low till I found them! :D I did that once when I was about 12 and the only present I couldn't identify was a manicure set.. I felt awful on Xmas Day... but on the upside it honed my acting skills! Bad Hayley.  :hide:

You're a better woman that I Kay, I'm rubbish with surprises, I would be hunting high and low till I found them! I did that once when I was about 12 and the only present I couldn't identify was a manicure set.. I felt awful on Xmas Day... but on the upside it honed my acting skills! Bad Hayley.

You are obviously on the permanently naughty list :D Alan has a habit of putting things in his car and driving around with them. Sometimes he puts them in his locker at work :o but I don't think there's room in it for these. He's not above resorting to padlocks :giggle: even though I've told him I won't peep because I've ruined Christmas day by doing that before and it taught me a lesson. Still ... I would like to just to have a squidge of them  :blush2:   

Kay, did you seriously think you'd get a clue?!

I'm going to try again .. catch him unawares :giggle2:

Peter is usually really good at presents, but this year he's stuck so I'm going to give him some suggestions from my Amazon wish list (both books and non-books).

It's such a useful place and you will be certain of getting things you want :smile:  My mum was annoyed though because she got something from my wishlist .. but it didn't remove it and my sister almost got it but luckily checked first. This happens especially with things which are not from Amazon (though you can still put them on your wishlist) but it's also happened with books before now. Mum contacted them and they said only I could remove it from my wishlist so she had to tell me to do it before anyone else got it.

Steve admits he isn't great so I generally tell him what I want.. This year it's agility jumps for the garden!

Will you be feeling particularly frisky in the New Year then Hayley? :giggle2: