Poppyshake's Reading Year 2013

poppyshake

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not one of those people who'd go hunting for gifts. I'm happy to abide my time and get them when it's time, I trust the other person or people to buy me something nice. I don't go pestering anybody :blush2:. Someone I know is pretty terrible with it, their partner has to really hide the gifts otherwise they'll find them and open them :banghead:, that's just stupid and childish, in my opinion :shrug:.

But asking for clues isn't too bad :).

Edited by Athena

I'm not one of those people who'd go hunting for gifts. I'm happy to abide my time and get them when it's time, I trust the other person or people to buy me something nice. I don't go pestering anybody :blush2:. Someone I know is pretty terrible with it, their partner has to really hide the gifts otherwise they'll find them and open them :banghead:, that's just stupid and childish, in my opinion :shrug:.

That'll be me then!  :giggle2:

roundthexmasfire.jpg

Round the Christmas Fire: Festive Stories

Amazon's Synopsis: If the weather outside is frightful, draw up a chair to the fire, get the chesnuts roasting, and find an echo to every mood in this collection of funny, surprising, moving and magical festive stories from some of our greatest authors. Including stories from Laurie Lee, Truman Capote, Kenneth Graham, John Cheever, Sue Towsend, Nancy Mitford, Dylan Thomas, Charles Dickens, John Julius Norwich, P.G. Wodehouse and Stella Gibbons, among many others.

Review: Well the weather outside is frightful so perfect time to be cosying up with this book. Not all of them are short stories, some are Christmassy extracts taken from longer stories (for instance Cider with Rosie and The Wind in the Willows). I had already read more than half of them .. though some of them a long time ago and anyway I can re-visit good Christmas stories yearly ... I love anything like that. It's a fantastic collection and I'm glad to say that there were none that I skipped (or wanted to :blush2:) and none that were boring or letting the side down. Probably the stand out stories are Stella Gibbons' Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm, Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, Dylan Thomas' A Child's Christmas in Wales and Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory .. but as I said they are all great and well worth reading. Perfect book for dipping into over Christmas (d*mn! :D)  

I did sit by the fire to read some of them .. I didn't roast chestnuts though .. I just dunked a digestive :D Maybe I should have savoured them more slowly .. I have rather gobbled them up but once started it's hard to stop  :blush2: 4/5

• 2 weeks later...

Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed the stories ! The book looks so beautiful, too.

Thanks Gaia  :smile: I don't often like hardbacks unless they're beautiful like this one. I've got a special little cabinet for putting all of them in. 

Talking of hardbacks .. those mysterious Christmas presents have actually been placed under the tree now and I've had a little squidge  :blush2: and they are definitely hardbacks  :confused: The only thing that comes to mind when I think of six books is Jane Austen but I have a little hardback collection of those already so I doubt it will be that. Very intriguing.

I've been doing so well this year with keeping up with reviews but December has gone and spoiled it :blush2: Far too busy making spotty cakes and trying to wrap a football to use my brain for anything else. Can't imagine that I'll have a day before Christmas where I'm at a loose end or not trying to rugby tackle someone to get to the last turkey but possibly will have a few days between Christmas and New Year.Whether by then I will have any recollections of having read a book let alone these specific ones is debatable but I will definitely try  :blush2: 

Reading is going slowly ... was still trying to get chocolate gloop off of the work surfaces at midnight yesterday so haven't really felt relaxed enough to read :( It's always the same every year despite my best efforts to 'get ahead' and take the stress out of Christmas (however .. I could write a brilliant book with tips on how to 'get behind' and wring as much anxiety out of it as you can :giggle:) Really looking forward (in a don't count your chickens way  :D) to relaxing after Christmas with all my new books.

While I'm about it and before this thread sinks without trace, I just wanted to thank all of you for being such a support to me this year  :friends0: I really appreciate all your kind messages xx I was so relieved and encouraged to be able to visit again and see what you were all up to .. much more important than catching up with Downton. Book readers really are the best :flowers2:   

post-5612-0-31973900-1387563935_thumb.jpg

Kay

Don't be too hard on yourself about getting stressed during the holiday.  I think most people get stressed at this time of year . I know I do, but our holidays have been reduced to much smaller events ,less people etc ,so it's not nearly as bad as it once was .

I'm glad your year is ending well for you . It's been a challenging one, hasn't it ?

Thank YOU for being so funny and always telling funny stories to keep us all cheered up .

Best wishes for the new year ! 

Round the Christmas Fire: Festive Stories

Amazon's Synopsis: If the weather outside is frightful, draw up a chair to the fire, get the chesnuts roasting, and find an echo to every mood in this collection of funny, surprising, moving and magical festive stories from some of our greatest authors. Including stories from Laurie Lee, Truman Capote, Kenneth Graham, John Cheever, Sue Towsend, Nancy Mitford, Dylan Thomas, Charles Dickens, John Julius Norwich, P.G. Wodehouse and Stella Gibbons, among many others.

That looks like a superb oollection. I'm not normally into anthologies, but this definitely looks like one for the wish-list.

I don't often like hardbacks unless they're beautiful like this one. I've got a special little cabinet for putting all of them in. 

I'm the other way: if I'm buying paper copies (as opposed to ebooks), I much prefer hard backs. Just can't always afford them! I know they're more cumbersome to handle, but the print size and the binding quality are usually so much better, and the covers don't get creased so easily. The bulk of my fiction hardbacks are admittedly 'nice' editions, as I have collected Folio Society books in the past, but there are some really good, cheaper, editions on the market now, especially for the classics. Edited by willoyd

Kay, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas :)! I've really enjoyed getting to know you over the past year and reading about what happens in your life. I always love to read your posts. I hope you'll feel less stressed after the holidays, and that you get some awesome presents (I'm really curious about the six hardbacks).

Didn't open my six surprise presents until today  :o Christmas Day was hectic and Boxing Day was spent at my cousin's so today was the first real relaxing day.

Was nervous about opening them .. even though I was prepared for it to be a practical joke. I think that's why they remained under the tree for so long but anyway I needn't have worried  :blush2: This probably won't seem very exciting to most of you but I think, after seeing them, you can probably guess how exciting it was for me  :yahoo:  :blush2:

I hardly remember asking about them. I know I said after reading her selected letters that I would love to read them complete .. but I also knew they were hard to get hold of and not cheap. Anyway .. without me knowing .. Alan has been looking for them for a while and luckily for me .. came across this set and snapped them up  :smile: I'm going to so enjoy reading through them  :smile: Three cheers for them not being Carter Beats the Devil  :D I suppose I really should reconsider my vow never to read it .. perhaps I will in 2014  :blush2:

The Letters of Virginia Woolf

Vol 1: 1888-1912 The Flight of the Mind

Vol 2: 1912-1922 The Question of Things Happening

Vol 3: 1923-1928 A Change of Perspective

Vol 4: 1929-1931 A Reflection of the Other Person

Vol 5: 1932-1935 The Sickle Side of the Moon

Vol 6: 1936-1941 Leave the Letters Till We're Dead

Published by The Hogarth Press with jacket illustrations by Virginia's niece Angelica Garnett   :wub:

I do have a book haul to photograph too .. I'm just incredibly behind at the moment. I can't wait until everything quietens down again and I can take a good leisurely look at all my books (though I'm not wishing Christmas away obviously .. just the hustle/bustle of it.)  

post-5612-0-66661800-1388185728_thumb.jpg

post-5612-0-42543400-1388185737_thumb.jpg

Kay

Don't be too hard on yourself about getting stressed during the holiday.  I think most people get stressed at this time of year . I know I do, but our holidays have been reduced to much smaller events ,less people etc ,so it's not nearly as bad as it once was .

I'm glad your year is ending well for you . It's been a challenging one, hasn't it ?

Thank YOU for being so funny and always telling funny stories to keep us all cheered up .

Best wishes for the new year ! 

Thanks Julie .. you too  :hug:It has been a challenging year but at least it ended well which is the right way around  :smile: I won't be sorry to say goodbye to 2013  :blush2: 

That looks like a superb oollection. I'm not normally into anthologies, but this definitely looks like one for the wish-list.

I really enjoyed it .. and it has lead me into another purchase :blush2: .. that of Kilvert's Diary (though the fantastic Vintage cover had a lot to do with it too :blush2:) The extract from it was brilliant  :smile: 

I'm the other way: if I'm buying paper copies (as opposed to ebooks), I much prefer hard backs. Just can't always afford them! I know they're more cumbersome to handle, but the print size and the binding quality are usually so much better, and the covers don't get creased so easily. The bulk of my fiction hardbacks are admittedly 'nice' editions, as I have collected Folio Society books in the past, but there are some really good, cheaper, editions on the market now, especially for the classics.

I do have a nice hardback collection and I enjoy looking at them etc but I can never get really comfy when reading one. Though I forget all about that if the content is riveting. I just find that it's like posh clothes as opposed to comfy jeans. I can't loll about dropping toast crumbs on my hardbacks :blush2: 

Merry Christmas and all the best for the new year :)

Thanks Deborah  :hug: .. a very happy New Year to you  :smile: 

Kay, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas :)! I've really enjoyed getting to know you over the past year and reading about what happens in your life. I always love to read your posts. I hope you'll feel less stressed after the holidays, and that you get some awesome presents (I'm really curious about the six hardbacks).

Thanks Gaia  :hug: I think I am beginning to de-stress ... now that all the hullabaloo is over  :smile: Happy New Year  :smile: 

Miss Poppy

Alan's book presents are perfect and oh so pretty ! You sure hit the jackpot with him. He is always surprising you with such neat gifts .He , of course,  hit the jackpot with you too .  Perfect match .   :) 

What a fabulous gift, Kay!  Alan has really outdone himself. The books are just beautiful.  :readingtwo:  :cool:  :cool:

Also wanted to add that yours is one of the best and most cheery threads around.  So, thank you:friends0:

Edited by pontalba

This probably won't seem very exciting to most of you but I think, after seeing them, you can probably guess how exciting it was for me

Oh it does: very, very exciting! I'm sure you will love reading them, and what a fabulous Christmas present! I have a set of my own, and they make for absolutely fascinating, almost mesmerising, reading. There's something very special about letters; I think it's because it's the person's own raw words - somewhat unguarded, highly personal, not reworked as books are. Woolf's published work is so polished, that to read something as close to her as these is a real privilege.

Three cheers for them not being Carter Beats the Devil  :D I suppose I really should reconsider my vow never to read it .. perhaps I will in 2014

I haven't picked up why you're so anti, but TBH you're not missing much. It was an OK read, but for me nothing more. I was quite disappointed in fact, especially as, being so chunky, it really began to drag in the second half, and really couldn't see what some people were raving about. Personally, I wouldn't bother!

Edited by willoyd

I can't wait to see the end of 2013 too.

Love those covers, they are gorgeous!

They are aren't they :) Alan says he will make me an exact size book trough to keep them in .. not sure how that will work but I'm looking forward to it already :) Hope 2014 is a much better year for you  :empathy: 

Miss Poppy

Alan's book presents are perfect and oh so pretty ! You sure hit the jackpot with him. He is always surprising you with such neat gifts .He , of course,  hit the jackpot with you too .  Perfect match .   :)

Awww  :blush2: thanks Julie  :hug: It is probably true to say that nobody else would have us  :blush2:  :D I'm very touched that he went to so much effort .. he especially likes to encourage my love of Virginia because she and Leonard were printers and owned a press and that elevates them in his eyes :D Also .. my reading Virginia gives him lots of quiet time to himself (though not so quiet because he'll probably use it to watch the latest Tarantino :D) 

What a fabulous gift, Kay!  Alan has really outdone himself. The books are just beautiful.  :readingtwo:  :cool:  :cool:

Also wanted to add that yours is one of the best and most cheery threads around.  So, thank you:friends0:

Thanks Kate  :hug:bless you xx I only have face cream that deals with laughter lines .. I can't afford the frown lines one as well (very confusing though .. if you put it on at night .. how do you know what your face will be doing in sleep? :D)

Alan is a love .. I think I should really try and give him at least seven nag free days (not in a row though .. impossible  :giggle:) 

Those books are beautiful! I hope you enjoy them :).

Thanks Gaia  :hug: .. I'm sure I will :)