Poppyshake's Reading Year 2013

poppyshake

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I loves those colour sorted books - it's like another sort of creative decoration. You are also quite lucky in that those books seem to be all the same size (height).

You've hit upon another problem bobbs .. in that I have a lot of lovely coloured spines that would look marvellous on my shelf ... BUT THEY'RE TOO BIG :banghead:

Your shelves look positively lovely poppy, you made me get up and look at my shelves (I am not an avid collector but there's a fair few there) and I was very disappointed to see how dull they looked, and you're right, I have no pink or purple books, mainly black, white, grey, a few flashes of blue and yellow but not much else.. I will keep my eyes open for you.. Have you thought of perusing the young readers sections, I know the Rainbow Fairy books come in many delightful shades! ;)

Oh, and a snow pic with The Snow Child would be fabulous!! :D

Edited by chaliepud

I love your coloured bookshelf! I would love to do something like that but my ocd side of me wouldn't like it! :giggle2:

All my books are organised via genre and than size! I can't wait to take pictures, I'm just waiting on my last box of books to arrive.

Edited by Devi

Miss Poppy

I love your pictures of FEET. If you notice,the footwear almost blends in perfectly with the color of the room or the book you have laying next to it. Also your feet are almost always crossed the same way.

The color-gradient books are really pretty . I dont thnk you need a doctor's care for that . You have a flair for colors and want your books to look pretty together. nothing wrong with that . :)

The color-gradient books are really pretty .

I do so agree, but wonder how on earth you cope! Much as I love colour, because it bears no relationship to the contents, I'd never be able to find anything. I have to shelve my books either by subject/author/chronology etc. depending on what type of book*. Your system would drive me absolutely demented after a while!! Talk about horses and courses!

(*Thus fiction is alphabetically by author - no genre divides; history by continent and then by chonology; biography by chronology; travel literature by continent and then by author; science by subject then by author; and so on and so on...)

Edited by willoyd

Your shelves look positively lovely poppy, you made me get up and look at my shelves (I am not an avid collector but there's a fair few there) and I was very disappointed to see how dull they looked, and you're right, I have no pink or purple books, mainly black, white, grey, a few flashes of blue and yellow but not much else.. I will keep my eyes open for you.. Have you thought of perusing the young readers sections, I know the Rainbow Fairy books come in many delightful shades!

Thanks chalie :) I have quite a few YA books and they are a bit more bold with their colouring, I will have a good look in that section next time I'm in town. There are some children's classics that I still haven't read but want to .. that might yield some good results. I do only buy books I intend to read .. at the moment anyway .. the disease hasn't quite reached the stage where I'm solely looking at spines but you never know .. this could be the early stages ;)

I love your coloured bookshelf! I would love to do something like that but my ocd side of me wouldn't like it! :giggle2:

All my books are organised via genre and than size! I can't wait to take pictures, I'm just waiting on my last box of books to arrive.

Thanks Devi :) It's important isn't it, to organise your books in the way that makes you feel most comfortable? It nags away at you otherwise. Looking forward to seeing those pics :)

Such lovely shelves!! I'm jaleous .

My books are organised on genre, after that books of one author are all (preferably) on the same shelf. Bigger books go at the bottom of the book case, smaller books more near the top.

Thanks Athena :) I haven't got one large bookcase so my books are all over the house on different shelves and even in piles. I know it wouldn't do for most people, it would drive them nuts but I like it. I use them like ornaments .. although I also have ornaments. It's not very minimalist here :D In a race to find a book most people would beat me by half an hour at least .. I'd refer to the pics I think :D

Miss Poppy

I love your pictures of FEET. If you notice,the footwear almost blends in perfectly with the color of the room or the book you have laying next to it. Also your feet are almost always crossed the same way.

The color-gradient books are really pretty . I dont thnk you need a doctor's care for that . You have a flair for colors and want your books to look pretty together. nothing wrong with that . :)

Thanks Julie :) I won't call a shrink just yet then :D The footwear blending is a complete accident .. or one I'm not aware of anyway. Alan always tells me that I cross my feet in the same way and he deliberately tries to make me cross them differently for variation in pics :D

I do so agree, but wonder how on earth you cope! Much as I love colour, because it bears no relationship to the contents, I'd never be able to find anything. I have to shelve my books either by subject/author/chronology etc. depending on what type of book*. Your system would drive me absolutely demented after a while!! Talk about horses and courses!

(*Thus fiction is alphabetically by author - no genre divides; history by continent and then by chonology; biography by chronology; travel literature by continent and then by author; science by subject then by author; and so on and so on...)

I know, I know :blush2: ... I spend far too much time thinking about aesthetics but that's what keeps me happy (reasonably :D) I tend to do it mostly with fictional books anyway and never with reference books (though I couldn't say they were organised with any rhyme or reason Willoyd .. they are just together on a shelf .. probably in size order :D .. possibly in some sort of subject order though you couldn't stake your life on it.) The problem is I don't have a system .. these shelves are not representative of the others. They are even more haphazard .. maybe my favourite books or favourite authors or recent buys. I will have a stab at cohesion, say put a few Virginia's in a row or all of my Persephone books together but then before I know it I've added some A.S. Byatt and Garcia Marquez :blush2:

Brilliant poppy, a great idea even if I do say so myself... :D

haha .. 'twas cold though :cold:

Love your pictures poppyshake!

And I'm going to get myself a copy of The Night Circus - you do write the most brilliant reviews :flowers2:

Aww thank you bree :friends0: .. I hope you love it like I did :)

Great pictures :D I love the snow child one :D

Thanks laura :friends0: I've just realised that I haven't really got an obvious spring one .. will have to put that right this year .. will be more agreeable than sitting in the snow :D

That's a great picture, with the snow and The Snow Child! It's on my TBR list (as is The Night Circus).

I loved them both Athena, hope you do too :friends0:

Well you're always very much welcome but try not to stress, a lot of it is waffle so it's a bit like Eastenders (a soap opera you've mercifully been saved from) you can pick up with it months later and find you haven't missed a thing. The only difference is .. I don't tend to murder anyone on Christmas Day

Oh but you see, it's the best kind of waffle! Whenever I read anything written by you, I end up laughing out loud. And you know what they say: a laugh a day keeps the doctor away! (or was it that they'll come and take you away, to the loonybin?)

And who says we've been mercifully saved from Eastenders?! It was all well and good years before when we only got Emmerdale. I was even quite a big fan for a few years. That was the time before and a bit after the huge bus crash (?) in the village where a lot of people were killed, some were even key characters of the show.

roykelly.jpg

Sigh... I was a big fan of Roy :wub: And was devastated when he left the village, it wasn't the same without him. I liked Kelly, too, although she was a bit of a ... difficult person. And I remember she was one of the first people of whom I realised that some people actually say 'fink' when they mean 'think' and 'nothin-K' when they mean 'nothing' :D Oh man, I learned a lot about different accents from Emmerdale!

Where was I... yes, we only had Emmerdale at first, but in recent years we've gotten thinks like Hollyoaks, and... well there are loads but I just can't remember the names at the moment, and yes, we have Eastenders! :rolleyes: I don't know what I'm rolling my eyes for, I've never watched it to be honest.

I really should crack on with the Faulks. When the TV series was on I was flicking through the book with each episode. I should have stuck with it but you know what it's like?, Colin Firth wandered by or something and mentally I wandered off. The postman bought a new book probably and poor Sebastian got dropped on his head in the rush to open it.

:o I'd quite forgotten there was a TV series! Maybe that's a good thing. Oh bugger that Colin Firth, he always surfaces one way or another and then it's too difficult to remember what one was doing before. You know, when I was leafing through the Faulks book, I realised that bloody hell, he's going on about books that are on my TBR pile or on my wishlist. So is he going to now spoil them all for me? How am I supposed to know if I'm good to read the book and if I'm not. Should I read all the books mentioned in the books before I start it? That would take decades!! Also, it's not as conversational and easy to get into as I was hoping for, this Faulks chap seems rather serious about his books :blush:

Possession is a bit of an animal isn't it? I suppose it's no larger than other (large) novels but it's her that's making me nervous. I've read The Children's Book and whilst I thought it was great, it was quite taxing .. mentally I had to be sharp and with it (and that's not my default setting). I think Alan had to make the dinner for the four weeks it took me to finish it and I remember forgetting birthdays and having trouble with zips. I couldn't apply my own mascara (I may have gone too far there ..) so the thought that this might be similarly demanding is a bit daunting (plus I think Alan may have hidden it) I've heard nothing but good things about The Name of the Rose so that's the one I'm most likely to tackle first of the three.

Ah yes, I remember some people saying before that A. S. Byatt is intimidating. Poor woman. But it's her own fault really, isn't it? I think Alan would be well pleased if you didn't read anything by her ever again :D It might prove to be too stressing for you and for him :D

I'm like a magpie, I'm attracted to all the new shiny books most. Thanks again for sending me Death & the Penguin *huggles* .. it's going to be great isn't it? It says 'darkly funny' on the blurb and that's the sort of funny I like, although all sorts of 'funny' are good .. except 'custard pie funny' .. I haven't laughed at that since I was nine but I wouldn't rule it out if it was being applied to the right face

You're welcome! And I did see on GR that you've actually finished it already :D Woman, you're on fire! I will be looking forward to your review. But be honest, do not for once consider my feelings, I don't have any, you can say about the book whatever you like :D

My niece Louise bought me all three of Sarah Miles' biogs because she enjoyed them so much so I'm expecting Sarah to be a bit of a mad bint because basically Lou likes reading about eccentric weird people. She liked Running With Scissors a lot

:D Sounds promising! Louise sounds like a great gal, she has an excellent taste in books, heheh!

I don't know where the term comes from but Sassenachs are what the Scots sometimes call us wimpy Englishfolk

Ah, thank you! What do you call the Scots then, in return. Or should I not ask. I don't want you to make any enemies on here!

whosafraid.jpg

I love the copy! :o And I don't know why, but I think it's perfect for the play. Brilliant.

I also loved your review on it, it was so spot on! :D

Review: This is one of those books that you pick up and flick and then just carry on reading. It only plopped onto my doormat a couple of days ago but once I started I couldn't stop. It's a play in three acts with a cast of just four so pretty easy to get into.

I agree! When I went to the library to pick up a copy to read, I started reading through the first few pages and got right into it, I could've just sat down and read it through. I love it when a book's like that. And I used to think all plays are difficult to read! :rolleyes:

Actually I felt very much like the fifth character, I was cringing so much I might just as well have been in the room with them but I was horribly fascinated too. I just wanted Nick and Honey to go home .. I kept saying it, I mean you would wouldn't you?, especially when the insults start swerving towards you. Even if you sniff a slight row in the air you tend to make your excuses early, but of course that would have been absolutely no good for the purposes of the story. George and Martha probably didn't need company, they could carve each other up in private and enjoy it every bit as much but Nick and Honey's presence is an additional incentive .. an audience to play to.

Exactly! It was like watching a car accident: you want to quit watching, go away and get help, but at the same time you can't help but look on and see what happens. I can't for the life of me understand why Nick and Honey stayed for so long, but then again they must've been so wasted they didn't know what was good for them :D Or maybe they are pseudo-Finns: we always cheer when we know there's a 'free booze party', meaning the drinks will be on the host/hostess or some organization and you can just go in and get hammered. (Yes, we are quite bad that way, some of us. Not me of course.)

The other problem was that George and Martha didn't exactly stay offending themselves only, they said some pretty nasty stuff to Nick and Honey, too, and about them! :D At that point I would've been insulted as a guest and would've taken off.

There's a lot going on here that at first, owing to their outrageous behaviour, you don't fully realise. It's all simmering underneath the surface (albeit underneath the surface of a volcano). It's almost like therapy, but it's the the worst kind of name-calling, blame-apportioning, cards-on-the-table, therapy ever. There's a definite blurred line between fact and fiction .. you're not always sure where the truth lies, is it the brandy talking or are some of those outrageous accusations true? The arguments are both petty and deeply sinister .. the violence, which is mostly verbal, occasionally tips over into physical.

I'm happy you read the play because now I have someone I can ask:

What do you think was behind George getting upset when Martha would talk about their son? Why would he want her to shut up about him? I either completely missed something that was said or then I completely missed something that wasn't said but I was supposed to be able to figure out on my own.

nightcircus.jpg

A great review! I've noticed this here and there and everywhere on the forum and I've been curious about it, but I don't like circuses so I've never felt compelled to read it. But your review made me think otherwise and I've now added this to my wishlist :D

bookfeet.jpg

I love the pics, it's such a clever idea!

Alan has just pointed out that the time is right for a snow pic :D .. not sure if I'm daft enough for that.

Yeah you are... You needed just a bit of egging on... :giggle2: Well done chalie!!

bookshelf2013.jpg

I'm in love with these shelves as ever... Sigh! What a pleasure to the eye. You can come and re-organize my bookcases whenever you want!

why can't pink be taken seriously?

:lol: Yes, that is the question!

Poppyshake, you are a riot! :friends3:

Yes well .. it'll be your fault if I get piles Chalie :D

So.... did you? :giggle:

snowboots.jpg

Beautiful! Now I know why it had to snow in the UK! :D

Love the pics Poppy especially the feet they look so relaxed perhaps we could swap lives for a week i could get plenty of cosy reading time & you could be chief cook & bottle washer for the week :D

They are even more haphazard .. maybe my favourite books or favourite authors or recent buys. I will have a stab at cohesion, say put a few Virginia's in a row or all of my Persephone books together but then before I know it I've added some A.S. Byatt and Garcia Marquez :blush2:

So, how on earth do you find anything?!

So, how on earth do you find anything?!

I think she has this secret, special application. She'll say the name of a book out loud and then the book in question starts reading off itself from chapter 1, out loud. David Mitchell is the narrator voice. :yes:

Although that way you wouldn't actually want to find any book, you'd only want to search for them... :D

Oh. And you know what? I really miss your previous reading log... Whenever I went to comment on it or check out the first page for different lists, I would see your comment after one of the links to one of your previous reading logs and it said something like 'Thanks Janet! It once was lost but now is found..' and I assume that's from the one song (is it a hymn?) and it always made me laugh and go all 'awwwww' :D I miss having that!

Edit: This:

Books read 2010 - it once was lost but now is found .. thank you Janet :friends0:

:D:friends3: