Frankie reads 2013

frankie

That's a pretty cover :)! I tried to find a picture of my cover, but I couldn't find a right one. It's a Wordsworth Classics one, but I can't find the right cover for it.

I image googled MB (oh my god poppyshake, MB?? :lol:) and there were loads of different Wordsworth Classics. It's odd that the edition of your particular cover isn't there :(

I have to say there are so many beautiful covers for Moby Dick... If I end up liking the book, I might buy a few different copies if I ever came across some nice pretty ones in secondhand bookshops/charityshops... :giggle2:

P.S. The images above that you posted, are really beautiful!

I wanted to post at least five other pics but the forum kept telling me I had no right :D:shrug:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I image googled MB (oh my god poppyshake, MB?? :lol:) and there were loads of different Wordsworth Classics. It's odd that the edition of your particular cover isn't there :(

I have to say there are so many beautiful covers for Moby Dick... If I end up liking the book, I might buy a few different copies if I ever came across some nice pretty ones in secondhand bookshops/charityshops... :giggle2:

I wanted to post at least five other pics but the forum kept telling me I had no right :D:shrug:

x

It is odd, if you like I can take my own photo but it'd take a bit of time as I'd have to find it first :P (it's on the literature shelves but where exactly I'm not sure. I recently rearranged them so I'm not used to the new layout yet). Truthfully, seeing all the covers on Google confused me and now I'm not 100% sure anymore what exactly mine looks like.. :hide:

Yeah the forum only allows you to post a couple I think, I guess it's to prevent people from spamming? I can only attach / display three photos.

Edited by Athena

There's quite a few of those that I've either read and loved or that are on my TBR or wishlist. It looks like a great list! I'll have to check out some of the ones I haven't heard of, sometime :).

Well you have great taste in books, I have to say ;):giggle:

x

It is odd, if you like I can take my own photo but it'd take a bit of time as I'd have to find it first :P (it's on the literature shelves but where exactly I'm not sure. I recently rearranged them so I'm not used to the new layout yet). Truthfully, seeing all the covers on Google confused me and now I'm not 100% sure anymore what exactly mine looks like..

What with the amount of books you have, it might take you some time to locate the book... :D I don't want you to go through all that trouble just for me :blush: But if you happen to locate it, of course you can now post! I'm curious :)

Yeah the forum only allows you to post a couple I think, I guess it's to prevent people from spamming? I can only attach / display three photos.

I know, I tried posting the other pics in new separate posts but even though I only had one or two pics it said I wasn't allowed to post :shrug:

Did Charles enjoy the book? I have to say I don't know who Mapplethorpe is :blush:

He found the book extremely interesting. 

Robert Mapplethorpe was a photographer, whose male and female nudes were thought to be controversial.  Controversial they may be, but that isn't all he photographed, and he had a keen eye, and beautiful composition.  Here is a link to a site for his work. http://www.mapplethorpe.org/biography/   ***

***Let me add a caveat emptor...some may be offended by the nudity and/or positions of some of the models. 

Oh poor Moby Dick .. we must never shorten it again :D

There are so many beautiful covers. I've actually got the Vintage cover and I don't think much of it so will be looking out for prettier versions. I love all the other bits of memorabilia too .. awesome earrings :)

I think you can upload more if you attach them rather than embed them.

You may well get bored when you read it .. it does drift off ( :D) and he tells you more about whales and whaling than you possibly might want to know but the germ of the story is terrific and I found even the long and laborious descriptions fascinating. Some of the chapters were very short and that gave me a feeling of progression .. like I was getting somewhere. I hope you won't be putting it into your suitcase to lob at me anyway :hide:  :D 

Yes Burnt Shadows .. that's the one .. and you're right my 90-odd year old neighbour lent it to me. I think I thought it was okay .. it didn't blow my socks off but it didn't annoy me either. Hope Kartology does blow your socks off :D.

Sorry about John McEnroe .. I was presuming again :roll2: we've had him cluttering up our screens for so long that I took it for granted everyone had :blush2: (I HATED him as a tennis player but like him now he's just a commentator.) If you're ever bored you should YouTube some of his

.. they were legendary :hide: I hope that poor PattY gets his dinner on the table on time etc :D .. and doesn't over-salt the veggies.

Ever since then I've had this strong urge to read the book :)

Not easy, but absolutely fabulous! You have to be prepared for a lot of diversions from the core plot though, as Melville dives into the world of whaling in a big way, but I found that part of the charm and fascination. Funny Athena mentioning it being quoted in Matilda, because that was what got me reading it in the first place!

I have to say there are so many beautiful covers for Moby Dick... If I end up liking the book, I might buy a few different copies if I ever came across some nice pretty ones in secondhand bookshops/charityshops

I was lucky enough a while ago to acquire a copy of Moby Dick illustrated by Rockwell Kent. I think the cover especially is gorgeous, although I know these things are very personal, and the picture below doesn't really do it credit. It's now one of my favourite books (as a physical entity). I've also included pictures of a couple of the illustrations.

post-5780-0-01234500-1379204233_thumb.jpg  post-5780-0-94475300-1379204258_thumb.png  post-5780-0-67585300-1379204288_thumb.png

Edited by willoyd

He found the book extremely interesting. 

I'm glad to hear that! Although he might have gotten more out of it, the people being American and you guys probably having heard more about them. Like I told poppyshake, I've never even listened to Smith's music. But I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy the book :)

Robert Mapplethorpe was a photographer, whose male and female nudes were thought to be controversial.  Controversial they may be, but that isn't all he photographed, and he had a keen eye, and beautiful composition.  Here is a link to a site for his work. http://www.mapplethorpe.org/biography/   ***

***Let me add a caveat emptor...some may be offended by the nudity and/or positions of some of the models. 

Thanks for the info and the link! I took a look at the gallery and yep, some of the them were very explicit. But I thought overall they were great :) And one of the first images I saw was of Patti Smith :)

Rather handsome, this Mapplethorpe fella! Btw.

Oh poor Moby Dick .. we must never shorten it again :D

No, we definitely must not! :D Happily the title is so short that we can write it in full without exhausting ourselves :DWe'll reserve MB for Madame Bovary. That way we can also think of Much rubbish in the same context, should we wish to do so ... :giggle2:

Yes, I'm about 7 years old :lol:

There are so many beautiful covers. I've actually got the Vintage cover and I don't think much of it so will be looking out for prettier versions. I love all the other bits of memorabilia too .. awesome earrings :)

I would love to have those earrings, very pretty! I like all sorts of bookish knick knacks, I have to say. Too bad the bookshops in Finland haven't yet realised the full potential of that type of merchandise :(

I think you can upload more if you attach them rather than embed them.

Hm, that's an idea... Thanks :)

You may well get bored when you read it .. it does drift off ( :D) and he tells you more about whales and whaling than you possibly might want to know but the germ of the story is terrific and I found even the long and laborious descriptions fascinating. Some of the chapters were very short and that gave me a feeling of progression .. like I was getting somewhere. I hope you won't be putting it into your suitcase to lob at me anyway :hide:  :D 

I think knowing beforehand that it will be very descriptive and detailed will help me deal with it. It might be a very different case if I went in without having any idea about how the book is going to be like. But I like the sound of short chapters, here and there :D Encouraging!!

I promise that If I dislike the book, I won't hold it against you. Well, not in any physical, book throwing way... :giggle2::lol: Don't worry, it's on many of the reading challenges too, so I think I would've come around to reading the book at some point in my life.

Yes Burnt Shadows .. that's the one .. and you're right my 90-odd year old neighbour lent it to me. I think I thought it was okay .. it didn't blow my socks off but it didn't annoy me either. Hope Kartology does blow your socks off :D.

I think you gave it 7/10. Not too encouraging, but maybe Kartology will be better. The beautiful cover caught my eye, and then I read the description and it sounded

interesting.

I hope it doesn't blow my socks off, though, because what if I was wearing the beautiful fox socks you sent me? :roll2: That would be the ruin of them!! I'd better wear old ugly socks that have holes in them already when reading the book. Or I might go Braveheart on it and wear no socks at all! :lol:

Sorry about John McEnroe .. I was presuming again :roll2: we've had him cluttering up our screens for so long that I took it for granted everyone had :blush2: (I HATED him as a tennis player but like him now he's just a commentator.) If you're ever bored you should YouTube some of his

.. they were legendary :hide: I hope that poor PattY gets his dinner on the table on time etc :D .. and doesn't over-salt the veggies.

Don't worry, I'm sure other Finnish people would know who he was... I'm not much of a sports enthusiast so I don't recognise many of the internationally famous athletes. Well I do know Warrick Cappa... :lol:

Over-salt the veggies... :lol: Yes, he'd better not nag about the food. Otherwise he might some day find, as he's choking, that maybe the food contained some arsenic... :giggle2:

I'm now going to watch the tantrum link!

Not easy, but absolutely fabulous! You have to be prepared for a lot of diversions from the core plot though, as Melville dives into the world of whaling in a big way, but I found that part of the charm and fascination. Funny Athena mentioning it being quoted in Matilda, because that was what got me reading it in the first place!

That's very funny about Matilda, indeed! :D I've written down a list of the books that she was reading and that were mentioned in the book. I think others are also doing the Matilda reading challenge more or less regularly...

Thank you for the warning, like I said to poppyshake it's better to know it might be a bit of a task before I start reading the book.

I was lucky enough a while ago to acquire a copy of Moby Dick illustrated by Rockwell Kent. I think the cover especially is gorgeous, although I know these things are very personal, and the picture below doesn't really do it credit. It's now one of my favourite books (as a physical entity). I've also included pictures of a couple of the illustrations.

That's an absolutely beautiful copy! And the illustrations are beautiful, too. It's definitely an added pleasure to read the story from such a gorgeous book.

I think in general I much preferred the copies in which the cover was mainly about the whale and the sea, and the crew and the ship was a smaller part of the whole image. The whale is after all the most powerful thing in the novel.

Willoyd, that's a beautiful cover!

@ posting photos

I can attach up to three photos in a post, not more.

I wonder if the size of the images has anything to do with it. I think one could probably find info on this in the rules and guidelines. But I'm too lazy to look, so I won't complain anymore :giggle2:

Almost forgot: I took a look at the free book exhange bookcase at work, which is mostly useless because it's the same old books there all the time, in the same order. But now somebody had brought a book in, by an author I've been interested in for a year or two, and I read the first few lines and it seemed interesting so I snatched it. It's by Merete Mazzarella. She writes in Swedish, so I always thought she's Finnish-Swedish, but I just wikied her and it turns out her mother was Danish and father Finnish, so she's Finnish.

I've mostly been interested in her books about literature, but as this was free I had to get it. It's about the life of a young diplomat's daughter. I'm not sure, I haven't checked, but it might be somewhat autobiographical, Mazzarella's father being (having been?) a Finnish ambassador. The protagonist travels all over the world, from Helsinki to Copenhagen (<3), Canterbury to New Delhi and Amsterdam to Leningrad.

I just spotted one of the workaholics in this institute! I came in after this man who works in the office on the other side of the corridors, and when he clocked in I noticed it said +78 hours. That's the maximum the system will allow! :o No surprise though, when I get here after 7 AM he's usually always here. And I don't see him socializing with people at the lounge.

Getting here before 8 AM is great: I'm hungry by the time it's 10.30 so I can go and eat at the uni. I go in before 10.30 because they open at that time and I want to be one of the first ones in, because the queues can get really long and I only have 30 minutes. Eating at the uni costs me 1/3 of the lunch over here at the institute. (Also, the cute and nice guy working at the help desk at the uni library eats there :giggle: A bit of eye candy for dessert? Yes please :D)

On other news: ex has been really helpful with corporate English and he's saved me a lot of trouble and time, and I thought it would be nice to send him something after I've finished at the institute. When I started thinking about this, I immediately thought Tim Tams! He loves them, he had some when I came back to Finland, but they don't sell those things over here (naturally :rolleyes:), so I would have to place an order... Do you guys have Tim Tams in the UK? In some specialized foreign delicacies shops? If so, and if you know a place and it's easy to get to and doesn't cost you all that much, could someone send me some Tim Tams? I would reimburce the costs, of course. I could pay via Paypal or maybe order books for that Tim Tam deliverer, for the same price they had to pay for Tim Tams and delivery, and a bit of extra :)

This might be asking too much... Maybe I'll think of something else. I was going to check if I can order them easily somewhere online but forgot (if you know a place where I could place an order, let me know!).

Okay off to work.

Frankie

I hope you enjoy the free book you found. Sounds a bit like a travel type book ? I like reading them ,learning about lots of different places without leaving the house .

Sorry I can't be of any use with the Tim-Tams .. we don't have them anyplace around here . They might sell them in some of the big cities that have lots more variety items . I think they are mainly an Australian item, aren't they ? Not sure ,just guessing .

Enjoy your day and especially the cute dude at lunch .   :)

frankie, I hope you enjoy the book you got.

Wow, that man has some dedication! I'm glad your ex has been helpful. I looked up TimTams, the Dutch shops here don't sell it but it looks like Amazon.co.uk sells them through other shops. I could order some for you and send them to you. I don't know the candy myself though so you'd have to tell me which flavours you'd want (of maybe some of all!). If you go to amazon.co.uk and do a search for Tim-Tams link you can see which ones they sell. It does appear they're made in Australia. If not me, then a British person might be able to help you. They might be able to get a better deal, since not all of Amazon's shops send their stuff overseas (they don't send to Finland, btw?). I'd have to take a better look to see which ones sell it internationally.

Re the tim-tams....it looks like you can purchase them through Amazon.  However you can purchase directly from Australian Food Online, they ship worldwide, they say. Here is their link. http://www.aussiefoodshop.com/australian_food_home.html

They look yummy!

Tim tams can be quite addictive! You can never just have one, and there are so many flavours. We have some in the fridge right now. :)

I can tell you a little thing some people do, don't know if you have ever heard it. You bite both ends off and use it like a straw to suck a drink like coffee or milk through it, it makes it all mushy like a cake in the middle when you bite into it. Best thing ever.

Edited by Devi

I've now compiled a more compact list of my most favorite reads. I will write this down on my book notebook so that I can look the books up in case anyone ever asks which books I would recommend. I always say the same books which is not fair because I've come to remember them better because I always keep mentioning them, and then the other favorites are left behind. Poor books! :empathy:

In chronological book reading order of frankie:

Fiction

Charles Dickens: A Tale of Two Cities

Ingvar Ambjørnsen: Elling series

Donna Tartt: The Secret History

Jasper Fforde: The Eyre Affair

Carlos Ruiz Zafón: The Shadow of the Wind

Jeff Lindsay: Dexter series

Jeff Eugenides: Middlesex

Sarah Waters: Fingersmith

Mark Haddon: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Sofi Oksanen: Purge

Vikas Swarup: Q&A

Haruki Murakami: Sputnik Sweetheart

Michel Faber: Under the Skin

Garth Stein: The Art of Racing in the Rain

John Boyne: Crippen

Dai Sijie: Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

William Goldman: Marathon Man

Non-Fiction

Augusten Burroughs: Running with Scissors

Alain de Botton: How Proust Can Change Your Life

Ronald Hayman: The Death and Life of Sylvia Plath

Augusten Burroughs: A Wolf at the Table

Ann Rule: Stranger Beside Me

Mötley Crüe: Dirt

Mary Roach: Stiff - The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers

Tobias Wolff: This Boy's Life

Constance Briscoe: Ugly

Danny Wallace: Yes Man

Pamela Druckerman: French Children Don't Throw Food

YA/Children's

Lois Lowry: Anastasia Krupnik series

Astrid Lindgren: Brothers Lionheart

J. K. Rowling: Harry Potter series

Astrid Lindgren: Bill Bergson series

Sue Townsend: Adrian Mole series

Diana Wynne Jones: Fire And Hemlock

Georgia Byng: Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism

Frances Hodgson Burnett: Secret Garden

L. M. Montgomery: Emily of New Moon series

Good idea to make a quick reference list.. not enough SF in there...[sigh] ;)

Edited by vodkafan

I love your new condensed list frankie .. like you've simmered it all up in a saucepan and this is what it's concentrated down to :) Yes, isn't it odd .. when people ask me what my favourite book is I hardly ever have an answer??!! There are so many that I can't pin it down to one or two .. they glaze over after the 27th title .. they're not generally book lovers you see :blush2:

Good idea to make a quick reference list.. not enough SF in there...[sigh] ;)

Yes there is :D