Frankie reads 2013

frankie

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a question : How many of you have traveled to multiple libraries ? I have been to 15 different ones. I like visiting them to see the differences .

My favorite one is in a town about 20 minutes away. It was a privately-funded one until maybe 2 years ago,so it worked with the old card catalog and the cards in the back of the books that they WROTE your number on,then slipped in a card telling you the due date. It sits across from a beautiful lake that had a couple swans on it ,so you can sit in one area and see the lake while reading . So neat ! They were the last one in our area that switched to using computers .

That sounds really nice! When I was a child my mum took me to multiple libraries or I wouldn't have enough to read :D. I don't travel to many libraries these days, would like to see a UK library at one point. When I was on holidays in Oxford we wanted to go to a big library but their site told us (before we left) that you'd need to ask for special permission to see it etc so we didn't go there. Would've loved to see it though.

Bearing all this in mind, I think I could expect getting to 499 TBR before July. When the going gets tough, I'm going to think of chesilbeach and her amazing efforts and glorious victory last year :D

Good luck frankie - I'm sure thinking of chesil will encourage you!

(And perhaps the next time you feel the urge to buy books - you can go "shopping" from your own shelves - or doesn't it work that way?! :hide: )

Good luck with reducing your book mountain Frankie just think of the sense of achievement you'll get when you drop below the 500 mark & that should spur you on. I know i always feel good when i manage to walk past the charity shop without taking a peek & when i just can't resist a look i feel really happy with my purchase till i get home & have to try & find somewhere to fit it in with the rest & i think what am i doing buying more books when i already have so many :doh:

(And perhaps the next time you feel the urge to buy books - you can go "shopping" from your own shelves - or doesn't it work that way?! :hide: )

That's a fantastic idea, bree. Every time you pick a book off your TBR, frankie, put some money in a tin(doesn't have to be much, if I was doing this in the UK, I'd say 50p or £1) to save until you've reached your goal, then you've got a bit of money to splurge on some new books!

Wow, 534 books, that's a lot, but optimistically there are lots of great books on there! :) Some of my favourites there are Birdsong, The Hunger Games, Therapy, Memoirs of a Geisha, Guilty Pleasures, I Am The Messenger and of course Rebecca and lots more that I have on my wish list. I noticed a Joyce Carol Oates book too? Blonde? But when I looked it up it was in french, is there an English version do you know? I loved The Gravedigger's Daughter...

I am sure you can easily get it down to below 500 in 6 months, who needs a library when you have that many great books!! :smile::readingtwo::smile:

Good luck Frankie and Laura! We will be cheering you guys on! :jump:

Edited by Devi

I have a question : How many of you have traveled to multiple libraries ? I have been to 15 different ones. I like visiting them to see the differences .

My nearest library is the main library of Joensuu and I'm really happy about that, because obviously they have the biggest collection. But I love visiting different libraries, so I've been to 3 of the 4 other branch libraries here in Joensuu. The three are within walking distance (4-6 kilometers) so I can walk there or go by bike. The one I haven't visited is maybe 15 kilometers away and as I don't have a car I've never been there.

Whenever I'm visiting a new town I make it my business to visit their library and see what it's like. I've done this ever since I was an adult and traveled on my own and not just with parents who cramped my style, hehe (I mean they like reading and don't mind a visit to the library but I don't think their first goal when coming to a new town is to see the library.)

Good luck Frankie you can do it. I'm trying to do a similar thing by reducing my TBR to under 400 by the end of the year. I'm currently at 434 so I'm hoping like you this should be achievable! We should try and keep each other focused hehe

Thanks Laura, I'm absolutely positive you can do it, too! :friends3: And I can't believe we are at the same situation: we have both 35 books now to read so we can get to our target! We should definitely spur each other on and encougage each other to keep at it =) It's a lot nicer to know you're in the same situation so I don't have to go it alone :yes:

(And perhaps the next time you feel the urge to buy books - you can go "shopping" from your own shelves - or doesn't it work that way?! )

That's a fantastic idea, bree. Every time you pick a book off your TBR, frankie, put some money in a tin(doesn't have to be much, if I was doing this in the UK, I'd say 50p or £1) to save until you've reached your goal, then you've got a bit of money to splurge on some new books!

Thanks bree for the well wishes! And I agree, that's a great idea! Whenever I've finished a book, I could browse through all of my bookcases and shelves and see what takes my fancy and then give the bookshop owner (moi!) some money for the book, LOL. Then the bookshop owner can go and buy a few books to stock up on the collection in 6 months time :yes: She can't have empty bookshelves, can she?

Good luck with reducing your book mountain Frankie just think of the sense of achievement you'll get when you drop below the 500 mark & that should spur you on. I know i always feel good when i manage to walk past the charity shop without taking a peek & when i just can't resist a look i feel really happy with my purchase till i get home & have to try & find somewhere to fit it in with the rest & i think what am i doing buying more books when i already have so many

Wise words, Kidsmum, wise words! I know I'll feel a lot better when I'll go under 500, I've been wanting it for some time now but I never thought I could actually do it. Why this is, I don't know, because now it seems very achievable.

I was going through my earlier reading logs to see when was the last time I was under 500 TBR, and I noticed that in my reading log 2009 I was a bit over 200 TBR, and I established in the first that I want to go under 200. Sheesh, I thought I was in a bad way then! =D

Good luck frankie and laura, You can do it!

Oh poppyshake, I had to relieve the cows, but I swear I didn't butcher them! Thanks poppyshake, we'll make you proud :D

Wow, 534 books, that's a lot, but optimistically there are lots of great books on there! Some of my favourites there are Birdsong, The Hunger Games, Therapy, Memoirs of a Geisha, Guilty Pleasures, I Am The Messenger and of course Rebecca and lots more that I have on my wish list. I noticed a Joyce Carol Oates book too? Blonde? But when I looked it up it was in french, is there an English version do you know? I loved The Gravedigger's Daughter...

I am sure you can easily get it down to below 500 in 6 months, who needs a library when you have that many great books!!

Thanks chaliepud :smile2: I think when chesilbeach was doing this last year she discovered a lot of great reads that she hadn't just gotten to read before her challenge. I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen to me, I know there must be so many wonderful reads in the bookcases... This might actually turn out to be the most greatest reading year I've ever had! Wow, I hadn't thought of that, now I'm all the more excited!

I can't believe I still haven't read I Am the Messenger. There's a doggy in it!! And it's supposed to be all kinds of good in other ways, too.

The Joyce Carol Oates book is a book on Marilyn Monroe, it's a very thick bio. And yes, it's also the title of the English original, I wonder why you got the French edition only...? Edit: Oh, it's a 'historical novel'. Well anyhow, I think it'll be interesting!

Good luck Frankie and Laura! We will be cheering you guys on!

Thanks Devi, it's so great to know we have you guys to cheer us on and encourage us if we ever doubt ourselves :flowers2:

The Joyce Carol Oates book is a book on Marilyn Monroe, it's a very thick bio. And yes, it's also the title of the English original, I wonder why you got the French edition only...? Edit: Oh, it's a 'historical novel'. Well anyhow, I think it'll be interesting!

It's a fictional biography of MM.

Don't you like historical novels Frankie? They're only novels set in the past, and you have a fair number on your TBR list.

Given your campaign on Mount TBR, I just wondered: what constitues a TBR list; what criteria do you (and others) use? A bit of a leading question, but I am also genuinely interested. In the meantime, I hope you have fun reducing the pile!

Edited by willoyd

It's a fictional biography of MM.

Don't you like historical novels Frankie? They're only novels set in the past, and you have a fair number on your TBR list.

Oh no, I have nothing against historical novels, I quite enjoy them :) I was just looking forward to a biography because I know very little about Monroe, but I'm rather certain I shall enjoy the book in any case.

Given your campaign on Mount TBR, I just wondered: what constitues a TBR list; what criteria do you (and others) use? A bit of a leading question, but I am also genuinely interested. In the meantime, I hope you have fun reducing the pile!

Well, there's no real mystery about it, it's the books that I own that I have still to be read, i.e. the ones I haven't yet read. I'm a bit confused, do you use the term 'TBR' for something else?

Ah, I should have gathered that from the picture!! :D

:giggle2: Yep, the picture was a bit of a give-away... :D

Well, there's no real mystery about it, it's the books that I own that I have still to be read, i.e. the ones I haven't yet read. I'm a bit confused, do you use the term 'TBR' for something else?

No, but then I don't really use the term at all. I have loads of books that I own that I have no intention of reading in the conventional sense: e.g. books of essays, short stories, non-fiction, which I dip into, use for reference etc., or books that I simply collect (I'm now gradually divesting myself of these as I creep towards hoped for retirement within the next decade).

I did at one time start putting together a TBR list. It didn't, however, include all my unread books, just those that I intended to read in the conventional sense. However, it grew so big that I decided it was more constrictive than constructive, so have binned it. I was just interested as to whether you, or others, did it differently - and you do it seems.

Frankie

Not to butt in on the conversation,but our library has sales twice a year. The first day the "Friends" get in early,so they get first choice . The next day is for anyone ,the 3rd day is fill a grocery bag for a dollar .

Usually after all 3 of those days, all that's left is a copy of How To Grow Earthworms for Fun and Profit ... missing a cover and 3 pages of photos on the middle . :(

Frankie

Not to butt in on the conversation,but our library has sales twice a year. The first day the "Friends" get in early,so they get first choice . The next day is for anyone ,the 3rd day is fill a grocery bag for a dollar .

Usually after all 3 of those days, all that's left is a copy of How To Grow Earthworms for Fun and Profit ... missing a cover and 3 pages of photos on the middle . :(

I think our 'friends' do too actually

Well, our local library (which isn't so hot) has a Friends of the Library group that hold a sale every 3rd weekend of the month, with half price in August. We used to go more often, but haven't been in quite a while now. For one thing, if I go in with a list I find nothing on the list, usually. But somehow we manage to come out with a couple of boxes of books. /tis a puzzlement!/ :angel_not:

At one time I used to visit three libraries as often as I could. The library where I live is more of a go between for other libraries. The other two were big city ones with multiple floors and huge open spaces.

Speaking of libraries, I would love to show you pictures of our state library - State Library of Victoria. The library holds over 2 million books and 16,000 serials, including the diaries of the city's founders, John Batman and John Pascoe Fawkner, and the folios of Captain James Cook, It was built in 1854, and next time you visit Australia, you must come down and see this place!

State_Library_of_Victoria_3009e.JPG

state-library-of-victoria.jpg

420px-state_library_of_victoria_la_trobe_reading_room_5th_floor_view1.jpg

Edited by Devi

Oh wow, that's amazing!I

I think I'll start a thread for people to post pictures of libraries in - in the General Book Discussions section - when I get home from work. :)

You can move my posts there if you like!

It's probably just as well that it's missing 3 pages of photos (earthworms...eww!) :D

No, but then I don't really use the term at all. I have loads of books that I own that I have no intention of reading in the conventional sense: e.g. books of essays, short stories, non-fiction, which I dip into, use for reference etc., or books that I simply collect (I'm now gradually divesting myself of these as I creep towards hoped for retirement within the next decade).

Ah yes, reference books and such. Well I have a few of those that I haven't added to my TBR pile. Like my All American dictionary, it's a dictionary of American words and slangwords. Actually I could add that to the TBR pile because I am reading it from beginning to the end, there's a lot of interesting stuff in there. I just started it back in 2001 :D

But yeah, I understand why you wouldn't add those kinds of books to your TBR. Some of them are for your work, right?

I did at one time start putting together a TBR list. It didn't, however, include all my unread books, just those that I intended to read in the conventional sense. However, it grew so big that I decided it was more constrictive than constructive, so have binned it. I was just interested as to whether you, or others, did it differently - and you do it seems.

It was probably very liberating to just bin the TBR list that wasn't even finished and that was getting to the size that seemed daunting. I'm afraid mine is probably 1/3, 1/4 or maybe 1/5 of your entire Mount TBR, so it's easier for me to keep track of it.

Frankie

I think our 'friends' do too actually

I wouldn't mind being a friend! And to be able to have first dips for the books in the sale :blush: And I know the money would be going to the library which I think is always a good cause to support :yes:

Devi, that library is one big ass library :o All the libraries in eastern Finland would probably fit under that... I can feel the silence inside and the respectful atmosphere... I would probably be too humbled to tell a dirty joke inside the library :blush: