Frankie reads 2013

frankie

If he's happy to order for you, I say go for it!

Yeah, I think I will ask him. Oh goody, the neighbor's sheltie doggy is outside, being all playful, now I have a doggy story to tell him before I'll ask him to order the book for me, he'll like that :D And this will be the very last time I ask him to order me a book :yes:

Play.com sucks. It's no wonder they're going under when they keep rejecting potential customers!

You said it, girl, you and me! Best customers ever. Fools!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did they say why they declined you? Outrageous! :o

They told me to check my debit card. That was the problem the last time I tried registering. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong... but then again, when ex signed up he had the same kind of debit card and he got in fine, and he was there when I tried signing and I did it just the same way he did.

Frankie

I'm a little confused --when you mentioned the free book reservations at your library .

Does that mean you can choose a book and they will purchase a copy for you to borrow, or does it mean that you normally have to pay to reserve a book and now you dont have to ?

WE have inter-library loan here,so if any library in the whole system has a book you want,they will send it to your closest library .

If you want a book they don't have,then you can request a book and they will consider purchasing it .

This system used to be much speedier,but due to budget cuts in the libraries, they dont get as many copies of new books,so you have a long wait sometimes .

i was going to ask the same thing. I request/reserve books all the time, and most times they come from a different library than my own. I just pop on my library's site and scroll through the different libraries, find which has the book I want, and request it. I have never ever paid a fee (unless it's late of course)

i was going to ask the same thing. I request/reserve books all the time, and most times they come from a different library than my own. I just pop on my library's site and scroll through the different libraries, find which has the book I want, and request it. I have never ever paid a fee (unless it's late of course)

You lucky people you, always having had free reservations at the library! :) It would bring a lot of money to the libraries if you paid even half a dollar.

You lucky people you, always having had free reservations at the library! :) It would bring a lot of money to the libraries if you paid even half a dollar.

yes it would, but unfortunately I think the library would lose a lot of patrons if it did that. A very big portion of people that use the library is elderly, and they are already on fixed incomes. 50 cents doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up quick every time you reserve a book.

We have to pay for reservations in the UK too - it varies from county to county - in our county it costs 75p (€0.89 / $1.20) to reserve an adult book and 50p (€0.60 / $0.80) for a children's book.

:o Where abouts is that? I have lived in Bucks, Essex and Cambs and never had to pay for a reservation. I thought it was free nationally. :doh:

We have to pay for reservations too, but ours are £1.20 (€1.45/ $1.90) per reservation, and I'm pretty sure Janet and I use the same regional library service and website, but each local authorities have their own pricing structure, so we could both reserve the same book from the same website and it would cost me more than it costs Janet! I think ours is one of the most expensive LAs for library reservations - I've never seen any more expensive

They told me to check my debit card. That was the problem the last time I tried registering. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong... but then again, when ex signed up he had the same kind of debit card and he got in fine, and he was there when I tried signing and I did it just the same way he did.
Not nice that they keep declining you :( ><.

@ libraries

Here if you want to reserve a book from your own library it's free (I had to look it up), that's pretty good. If you want to borrow a book that is very popular though it'll cost you a bit of money, I don't know if other libraries have this. I used to go to libraries all the time when I was younger, then I started to read more and more English books though which our libraries don't have that much of (also, I'd read a lot of the interesting books in the libraries already, for those ages).

I had no idea the prices could be so varied within one single country. Although I suppose if I looked into the prices in the different libraries here in Finland I would find varied prices, too...

Poor chesilbeach, you have the highest reservation fees, and you have to pay for the same book that Janet could get almost twice as much as she would :empathy:

Not nice that they keep declining you :( ><.

Thanks Athena for the sympathy :) Ex promised he would get the book for me. And it's been ages since I've ordered anything from play.com anyway, so if I think about it (after the first stages of shock and rage :lol:) it's not like I'm losing out on something because I've been using other sources for books for so long anyways. It was just this particular instant where I didn't mind that the book I'd be getting was secondhand, and I was going for it because it was so cheap.

Let's try and think of it this way: I can't miss what I've never had - i.e., a play.com account. *lotus position, deep breaths, zen-like calm*

:o Where abouts is that? I have lived in Bucks, Essex and Cambs and never had to pay for a reservation. I thought it was free nationally. :doh:

I live in Bath and North East Somerset (formerly Avon, before that just Somerset!). The library catalogue that covers my library also covers Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset and South Gloucestershire. The 75p charge is only for books reserved online - if you try to do it via phone (or even in person!) it costs £1.50 for a book on an adult card!

It costs considerably more to use an inter-library loan:

You can also ask us to find some items from other libraries in the UK (this is known as an Inter-Library loan). There is an £8.00 search fee for this service, we cannot guarantee that the item you require will be found but the £8.00 charge will still apply.

My Mum lives in Wiltshire so occasionally she's taken a book out on her card for me if it's not been available in the areas covered by my own authority. :)

I live in Bath and North East Somerset (formerly Avon, before that just Somerset!). The library catalogue that covers my library also covers Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset and South Gloucestershire. The 75p charge is only for books reserved online - if you try to do it via phone (or even in person!) it costs £1.50 for a book on an adult card!

They charge more if you reserve a book via phone?! :o That is peculiar.

By the way, I find it curious that you guys have adult cards and apparently children cards, too. Over here we all have the same card, no matter what our age. :shrug:

It costs considerably more to use an inter-library loan:

You can also ask us to find some items from other libraries in the UK (this is known as an Inter-Library loan). There is an £8.00 search fee for this service, we cannot guarantee that the item you require will be found but the £8.00 charge will still apply.

That's so brutal that they won't even guarantee that you'll get a copy eventually, and that they still charge a ludicrous amount of money! I'm astonished! Who would feel keen on placing an inter-library loan after finding out about the fees and rules?!

My Mum lives in Wiltshire so occasionally she's taken a book out on her card for me if it's not been available in the areas covered by my own authority. :)

Hehe, bless your Mum, I would resort to something like that myself if I needed :)

Play.com sucks. It's no wonder they're going under when they keep rejecting potential customers!

I gave up on Play.com two or three years ago - they were getting so slow to deliver and sent me the wrong item on two occasions, and on a couple of other occasions they didn't deliver at all. Plus they're in Jersey. My family's from Guernsey, so they're the enemy :giggle2:

I gave up on Play.com two or three years ago - they were getting so slow to deliver and sent me the wrong item on two occasions, and on a couple of other occasions they didn't deliver at all. Plus they're in Jersey. My family's from Guernsey, so they're the enemy :giggle2:

Haha. I was talking about the link you posted yesterday on IRC with another person, he said play.com is on Jersey island and I said no, it's Guernsey, I believe. We never came to a mutually satisfying conclusion and I started to wonder if he had heard of Guernsey at one time or another and misheard it, and thought it was Jersey :giggle:

They charge more if you reserve a book via phone?! :o That is peculiar.

By the way, I find it curious that you guys have adult cards and apparently children cards, too. Over here we all have the same card, no matter what our age. :shrug:

That's so brutal that they won't even guarantee that you'll get a copy eventually, and that they still charge a ludicrous amount of money! I'm astonished! Who would feel keen on placing an inter-library loan after finding out about the fees and rules?!

Hehe, bless your Mum, I would resort to something like that myself if I needed :)

I don't understand why it should cost more over the phone -and especially not when done in person! I think having child cards is to prevent under 18s from taking out DVDs that are not age appropriate. :) I would never use the inter-library loan system for that reason - most books would cost far less than £8 to buy!

My Mum rocks! :wub:

Yes, we both then use the same LibrariesWest website and catalogue, but my local authority charges more than yours! I think that's why I can't find the charges on the website, I have to look at my local authority website instead.

There is a link on the Libraries West page - down at the bottom under useful resources that takes you to the relevant page. :)

All this library talk is pretty interesting. I never heard of a place that charged money to ask for a reserve book,although I did meet someone online once from one of the southern states (can't remember which one ) ,that had to pay a yearly fee to have a library card . I think it was 50 bucks a year .

Might sound surprising,but our public libraries over here are always hurting for money,always trying to pass new levies for more money ,etc .

I'm not sure how ALL the states work ,but our last governor started a campaign while in office called Ohio Reads ..making sure all the people of the state were able to read, giving help to those adults who cannot read by having free programs for them,etc.

After he did that, he took grants away from the libraries to pay for other stuff that he considered more needed . SO .. to make a long story short, the libraries all suffered. They all cut the hours down that they were open, got rid of several extra employees ,etc to make ends meet.

The libraries vary from town to town as to how nice they are and well stocked, etc.

The next town over is a richer and bigger town ,so they have a REALLY nice library. They have little "lounge areas " where you can sit and read, they have a "Teen Loft",which is a hangout area for older kids,that has a TV, video games, couches,tables,etc. They also have a full time security guard in the library ..

And as for different ages for cards --we have kid's cards and adult cards, or you can get a family card that everyone in the family uses . You can also put restrictions on your kid's cards so they can't check out certain material if you want to .

Edited by julie

We have adult and children's cards too. The children's one (up to age 17) is free and has different limits than the adult one (for adults they have several different cards with different prices and limits).

we too have separate cards for kids & adults.....once the child starts high school (about 14), they "graduate" to an adult card. We don't pay any fees for having a card, but you can become a "friend of the library" for about 20 bucks a year.