Frankie reads 2013

frankie

We have adult and child cards too, the children are able to choose card with various designs, dogs, footballers etc..

It's 50p a reservation here in Surrey, it used to be £1 but it was reduced last year.. If you have a child's card it's free though.. Same goes for overdue fees, the children don't get charged.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't understand why it should cost more over the phone -and especially not when done in person! I think having child cards is to prevent under 18s from taking out DVDs that are not age appropriate. :) I would never use the inter-library loan system for that reason - most books would cost far less than £8 to buy!

It's almost like you need to 'tip' the person doing the reservation after the phone call for doing their job :rolleyes:

All this library talk is pretty interesting. I never heard of a place that charged money to ask for a reserve book,although I did meet someone online once from one of the southern states (can't remember which one ) ,that had to pay a yearly fee to have a library card . I think it was 50 bucks a year .

I think having to pay a yearly fee to have a library card is disgraceful, it's something I've never heard of :(

We have adult and children's cards too. The children's one (up to age 17) is free and has different limits than the adult one (for adults they have several different cards with different prices and limits).

I'm beginning to think it's more common to have adult and children's cards than not... I want to look into this. We have one type of card for everyone, I mean at least on the outside it looks the same. Also the one I got in my home home town when I was 12 is still working for me now that I've been an adult for more than a decade.

I know that you can check the age of a person on the computer when they are borrowing something, and when I was working behind the book return automat I could see some books were returned by people for whom it said on their info that they were a child customer. So maybe if they try to borrow adult movies the librarian will notice this if the DVDs also have a notification of being R-rated or what have you.

we too have separate cards for kids & adults.....once the child starts high school (about 14), they "graduate" to an adult card. We don't pay any fees for having a card, but you can become a "friend of the library" for about 20 bucks a year.

What does it entail if you become a 'friend of the library'? :)

We have adult and child cards too, the children are able to choose card with various designs, dogs, footballers etc..

Wow, that's pretty cool. Whatever it takes to make the kids read, aye? :D

Okay, I really want to see these library cards of yours. Because I'm curious about how the children's cards look compared to adults cards. And because they must be really different from the ones we have over here.

So if you like, please share a pic of your library card on here, or maybe share a link where I can go and look at them! :) I'll try and see if I can find pics of the ones I have, otherwise I'll have to try and make my camera work for a minute and take pictures :)

Cards are free here, and we don't pay to reserve books. We do pay late fees though, and if a book is damaged or lost you have to pay for a replacement copy. I'm not sure if we have kid and adult cards though, when I was younger we all had the same card. Things may be different now though as our library has had a makeover. Our reservations can come from any other library within the state too, and you can pick books up from any library you choose.

Yea, it seems strange to see your library website all in a foreign language . Our blue cards are fairly new--the old ones were much more boring looking but I like the new ones.

The other card shows a picture of the top tower on their new building. At Christmas they put a HUGE red ribbon the whole way around the tower .It's really pretty .

Forgot to say --the second one is the fancy one --it started out in an old lady's house MANY years before I was on the planet .

Edited by julie

Yea, it seems strange to see your library website all in a foreign language . Our blue cards are fairly new--the old ones were much more boring looking but I like the new ones.

You can browse the website in English, too, but I don't think all the documents will be found if you do, though. Although I'm not sure... But you can read the rules etc.

Our previous cards were red and I really didn't like them, but then they changed them and I like the new, current ones just fine.

The other card shows a picture of the top tower on their new building. At Christmas they put a HUGE red ribbon the whole way around the tower .It's really pretty .

Oh I'm sure it was really pretty! :)

I haven't got a library card anymore and the website doesn't have a picture. This link shows you the prices and details of each card, in Dutch of course.

Some of the words are understandable if one has any knowledge of German or Swedish, Norwegian etc. :) For example 'bibliotheek' is 'bibliotek' in Swedish, 'jaar' is 'Jahr' in German etc.

Ok, here are our library cards, I have 2 boys and a girl and they fit their stereotypes pretty well these days so you can probably tell which card belong to who (whom?) They do have nice adult cards now but I haven't bothered changing over yet, I think it only costs a couple of pounds so I may do so, our library system needs all the money it can get!

2mfb1w8.jpg

I really need to figure out how to make the pictures smaller, sorry for taking up so much space on your thread frankie.. :(

Edited by chaliepud

Ok, here are our library cards, I have 2 boys and a girl and they fit their stereotypes pretty well these days so you can probably tell which card belong to who (whom?) They do have nice adult cards now but I haven't bothered changing over yet, I think it only costs a couple of pounds so I may do so, our library system needs all the money it can get!

I really need to figure out how to make the pictures smaller, sorry for taking up so much space on your thread frankie.. :(

Cool cards! :D I, of course, love the doggy card :wub: It's so cool they have fancy ones for kiddies. And please don't apologize, I love it that I can properly see the cards on a bigger scale, I couldn't find a picture of mine so you can only see the small one on the website.

I love yours, Hayley.

Here is mine...

LibraryCard.jpg

We also get one a third of the size of this with a hole punched in it to put on our key-rings (if you're in the UK and shop in Tesco, it's like the Clubcard ones that go on key-rings), but sadly I've lost my one of those. :(

(Mine is credit card shaped, not the funny shape the photo makes it look! :lol: )

Wow Janet, that's a really prettyful one! :o Bloody hell, if I ever come to Bath and visit you, you'll have to take me to the library just to get me a library card :giggle2:

We also get one a third of the size of this with a hole punched in it to put on our key-rings (if you're in the UK and shop in Tesco, it's like the Clubcard ones that go on key-rings), but sadly I've lost my one of those. :(

That would be very cool, and handy! I'd love one of those.

(Mine is credit card shaped, not the funny shape the photo makes it look! :lol: )

I'm guessing we all have credit card shaped and sized library cards, I've never come across with anything bigger or smaller :) But then again, I'm so far only familiar with Finnish library cards and now the ones I've seen on here :D

Wow Janet, that's a really prettyful one! :o Bloody hell, if I ever come to Bath and visit you, you'll have to take me to the library just to get me a library card :giggle2:

T'would be my pleasure. Of course, you'd have to get some false documents to prove you live in the county! :giggle2:

T'would be my pleasure. Of course, you'd have to get some false documents to prove you live in the county! :giggle2:

Do you think you could take care of that? :giggle: Or maybe I should rent a flat somewhere in the countryside for a year, just to get the library card. I could do a bit of reading, and walk about and see the country... :D

If you come to Bath, you'll also get to visit Mr B's Emporium of Books too - my favourite bookshop!

I promise I will :yes: I'd like it very much if you could come and guide me to it and through it! :) Oh and I know I also must go and visit all the Austen places we've been talking about on here.

I like yours Janet, I must get myself a new one, maybe I'll change mine this week! :)

Yay, way to support the local library! :):flowers2:

I've been thinking about my Mount TBR a lot lately. It's never been my fantasy to own a great deal of books (at least not when I'm still living in a rented flat and don't know if I'm going to be living in Joensuu for the rest of my life), but I just love buying books too much, and as I don't mind secondhand copies if they are in good condition, I've had the pleasurable hobby of spending many wonderful hours at various secondhand bookshops and charityshops. I used to love and look forward to visiting the secondhand bookshops in Lappeenranta where my then BF lived, but now that we are not together I have no reason to visit the town and the shops, of course. I've never been a fan of the secondhand bookshops of Joensuu, for some reason... And the few charityshops have either taken a turn for the worse when it comes to their book selection or maybe I've just visited them too often to not find that many new titles. In any case, I don't have any extra money at the moment and I have decided I shouldn't be buying any new (whether they be brand new or secondhand) books for months. At least not in the first six months of the year.

My TBR now stands at 534 titles and I realised this morning that since I'm not going to be buying any more new books, I have an actual shot at reducing my mount TBR to under 500. I read 80-85 books last year and I'm expecting to read the same amount this year, and thus there is no reason why I shouldn't reach 499 TBR.

I was going through my previous reading logs and the last record of a TBR below 500 titles as in 24.8.2011, and then I had 477 titles on my TBR pile. The first record of a TBR above 500 titles was (oh dear only two days later) 26.8.2011 and by then I had 506 books to read (what on earth happened in those two days... :D I must've been visiting Helsinki and a lot of secondhand bookstores, oh yes, I remember that trip, it was good!).

I will be getting a few reserved books from the library this spring and because the reservations are free, I might be doing a bit of reserving in the future, but I don't think I'm going to go over board with it... I'm going to be sticking to my TBR pile for most of the time.

Another rule I'm going to set for myself during this TBR reducing project: I can't give away books unless I've actually read them. This is because I don't want to 'cheat' and, more importantly, because I had been thinking about giving away The Secret Life of Bees, and when I got to actually reading it it was brilliant, and I would never have discovered that if I'd given the book away.

Bearing all this in mind, I think I could expect getting to 499 TBR before July. When the going gets tough, I'm going to think of chesilbeach and her amazing efforts and glorious victory last year :D

Good luck, frankie, I know you can do it! Great idea to set a target, it's encouraging to have something to countdown to, and I found it kept me going at times. :gl:

Thanks chesilbeach, I don't want to sound cocky but I just have this feeling that this is actually achievable. As long as I keep trucking and have faith, I can do it! And yes, I think it will be encouraging to have something to countdown to like you said, it's good to have a clear cut target. :)

Good luck frankie!! I hope you have lots of fun reading :).

Thanks Athena! :) I know I have a lot of books on my TBR pile that I've been wanting to get to for ages, now I have no obstacles or excuses, I can just dive right in and actually read the books! :D

(I hope I don't wake up tomorrow morning thinking what have I gotten myself into... :giggle2:)

Chalie

LOVE the idea of the kid's cards having pics on them of something that cute. Such a neat idea .

Janet

I love your card - neat how the libraries are putting those type of sayings on the cards to make reading sound all the more fun .

I have a question : How many of you have traveled to multiple libraries ? I have been to 15 different ones. I like visiting them to see the differences .

My favorite one is in a town about 20 minutes away. It was a privately-funded one until maybe 2 years ago,so it worked with the old card catalog and the cards in the back of the books that they WROTE your number on,then slipped in a card telling you the due date. It sits across from a beautiful lake that had a couple swans on it ,so you can sit in one area and see the lake while reading . So neat ! They were the last one in our area that switched to using computers .