frankie

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hurrah! Go Steinbeck :D

Cannery Row is really good frankie! :smile: Very gritty realism. I've read The Wine of Angels, it being the first of the Merrily Watkins series. It's quite good in a spooky way, but I've haven't bothered to read any others in the series. 

Cannery Row is really good frankie! :smile: Very gritty realism.

Have you read the sequel, Swede Thursday? I started it but didn't get very far, I had other books with a deadline to read. But I loved it how the sequal started with

Mack commenting and criticizing Cannery Row and how Steinbeck had written that book :D

I've read The Wine of Angels, it being the first of the Merrily Watkins series. It's quite good in a spooky way, but I've haven't bothered to read any others in the series. 

I love spooky stuff, so it ought to be a good read :)

Edited by frankie

Have you read the sequel, Swede Thursday? I started it but didn't get very far, I had other books with a deadline to read. But I loved it how the sequal started with 

no, I didn't you know that there was a sequel :blush2: but that's another for my 'to read' list!.

Phil Rickman is also a big fan of Nick Drake, and he drops a lot of l his lyrics/references to Nick in his Merrily Watkins books. (Don't tell me you don't know any Nick Drake song lyrics?) ;)

no, I didn't you know that there was a sequel :blush2: but that's another for my 'to read' list!.

I have an edition that contains both Cannery Row and Swede Thursday, but there is no blurb, so I didn't know the latter was a sequel to the former until I started reading it and found there were same characters. I was like, 'heyy... wait a minute :O' :D

Phil Rickman is also a big fan of Nick Drake, and he drops a lot of l his lyrics/references to Nick in his Merrily Watkins books. (Don't tell me you don't know any Nick Drake song lyrics?) ;)

:blush: I'm going to have to say I don't even know who Nick Drake is! :blush::giggle: Off to google him this instant!

Edit: I thought I was going to be mighty embarrassed when I found out he's from this and that band and I should've known him, but I can honestly say I've never heard of him :shrug: He's cute though, does that count in my defense?

Edited by frankie

P.S. I should let you know that Nick Drake was a very,very tortured soul, and very much a 'shoe gazing' person. I recommend that you hear Northern Sky as his most wonderful track, off Bryter Layter album.I get a lump in my throat every time I hear it  :wibbly: .

P.S. I should let you know that Nick Drake was a very,very tortured soul, and very much a 'shoe gazing' person. I recommend that you hear Northern Sky as his most wonderful track, off Bryter Layter album.I get a lump in my throat every time I hear it  :wibbly: .

Thanks for the tip, I will listen to it shortly!

Yes,his life was short, :wibbly:  and not that happy either :cry2: .but his music was beautiful.

He had such a beautiful voice! He was certainly talented. It's so awful to think that he enjoyed nothing more than music, and yet he didn't enjoy performing. And as a musician, you need to perform :( That must've been so stressful and difficult for him.

I liked your reviews of Cannery Row and The Class, Frankie. I have a lot of Steinbeck's works, but not this one yet. And I want to read The Class, but I've still got to read Love Story and Oliver's Story first (also on your recommendations, of course!)

ETA: I think you've read Steinbeck's The Pearl, haven't you? I might read that one next because it's rather short.  :blush2:

Oh, and I also liked your review of The Joy Luck Club. :) I find the book a little intimidating now! I will be sure to keep a list of characters whenever I get around to reading it. If you had trouble remembering who was who, I don't have a hope in hell!

I liked your reviews of Cannery Row and The Class, Frankie. I have a lot of Steinbeck's works, but not this one yet. And I want to read The Class, but I've still got to read Love Story and Oliver's Story first (also on your recommendations, of course!)

Oh yes, read Love Story first. It's wonderful :wub::yes:

ETA: I think you've read Steinbeck's The Pearl, haven't you? I might read that one next because it's rather short.  :blush2:

Actually I haven't read The Pearl, I've just recently added it to my wishlist thanks to chesilbeach. I've only read The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, Wayward Bus (which I loved, too!) and Cannery Row. For some reason I've always thought I'm not really into Steinbeck, but that I've just accidentally liked his books, but Cannery Row's proved that I do actually like him. I've yet to read a book by him that I haven't enjoyed! :D

Oh, and I also liked your review of The Joy Luck Club. :) I find the book a little intimidating now! I will be sure to keep a list of characters whenever I get around to reading it. If you had trouble remembering who was who, I don't have a hope in hell!

It's a great book, but it was difficult to try and remember who's who. Even though I had taken notes! :shrug: It's so odd. Do make a list of characters, use different colors for each person, or use whatever tricks you can to try and remember who's who :D Or maybe you won't have any problems with the characters, who knows :shrug:

Oh yes, read Love Story first. It's wonderful :wub::yes:

It's a sad read, isn't it? I don't know that I'm in the mood for depressing reads at the moments (she says as she contemplates reading more Steinbeck!)

Actually I haven't read The Pearl, I've just recently added it to my wishlist thanks to chesilbeach. I've only read The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, Wayward Bus (which I loved, too!) and Cannery Row. For some reason I've always thought I'm not really into Steinbeck, but that I've just accidentally liked his books, but Cannery Row's proved that I do actually like him. I've yet to read a book by him that I haven't enjoyed! :D

Darn, I don't have that one either! I have East of Eden, The Long Valley, The Moon is Down, Once There Was a War, The Pearl and The Red Pony on my TBR pile.

It's a sad read, isn't it? I don't know that I'm in the mood for depressing reads at the moments (she says as she contemplates reading more Steinbeck!)

Yes, it is sad :( So maybe you shouldn't go for it now. And if you are contemplating on read Steinbeck, you have to be careful which book to read!

Darn, I don't have that one either! I have East of Eden, The Long Valley, The Moon is Down, Once There Was a War, The Pearl and The Red Pony on my TBR pile.

Are any of those one of his lighter novels? :shrug:

I've just found out that the sequel of Cannery Row is not Swede Thursday, it's Sweet Thursday :rolleyes: My Finnish copy says the original is Swede Thursday, so that's where I got the idea. Sonovab.... :censored:

Another thing I just discovered: Love Story was actually first a screenplay for a movie, and was only after that made into a book.

Hi frankie,

I've just looked at your wishlist and saw that you would like to acquire Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson. I have this book and would be willing to swap this with you if you like? I saw that you had The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd on your Read list and wondered if you would be happy to swap it? 

Selina x

Hi frankie,

I've just looked at your wishlist and saw that you would like to acquire Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson. I have this book and would be willing to swap this with you if you like? I saw that you had The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd on your Read list and wondered if you would be happy to swap it? 

Selina x

Hi Selina! :)

Unfortunately my copy of The Secret Life of Bees is in Finnish, and I enjoyed it so much that I wouldn't wish to part with it :(  I have a swap list here, but I dare say I don't have that many English titles to offer at the moment. I should read faster so I would have more to pass on to new owners... :readingtwo:

Edited by frankie

Haha aw no worries, I would've liked to have helped you with your wishlist but I totally understand that there are those fabulous books that it's just not possible to part with  :smile:

Once I have enough posts to look in the swap section, I'll take a look at your list. I'll list books I have available for swap too.  :smile:

Selina x

Once I have enough posts to look in the swap section, I'll take a look at your list. I'll list books I have available for swap too.  :smile:

Oh yes, sorry, I didn't remember that the swap section was limited to members with a certain amount of posts :doh:  It'll be great to have another eager swapper in our ranks :)

I've been wanting to re read Of Mice and Men for a while now. The new Book People booklet came through the door yesterday and there is a set of 5 Steinbecks for £6.99! Think I will have to order them!

Oooh, great deal! :smile2: I don't think you can go wrong with Steinbeck :) I'll go and goggle if I can see which books are in the set...

Edit: Of Mice and Men, The Pearl, The Red Pony, Cannery Row and East of Eden. That's a great set! I think The Pearl should be great, and Cannery Row is really good, and East of Eden is a real classic. That's really a bargain :yes:

I wish these Book People would come to my house, too :D

Edited by frankie

They may well post to Finland but it might then be cheaper to source from somewhere else? I'm always happy to order and post for you of course.

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that I would love the set. Well I would, but I was just generally thinking how you guys have all these great book magazines coming in and you can find great deals on (English!) books and stuff. We don't have that in Finland. It's sometimes a burden to prefer foreign fiction to Finnish :) And to prefer to read in English, if that is the original language of the novel.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness though, chalie, you are so sweet! :friends3:

Edited by frankie

• 2 weeks later...

Last Christmas I gave my parents a list of books that are on my wishlist and said if they wanted to give me books, they  might find the list a useful reference, and then I taught them how to order books online :giggle: Mum learned it on her own eventually, and she's been ordering books for herself ever since then :D

I thought I would send Mum a list for this year, too. I just went through my wishlist, and have now come up with a list from which Mum can select a book to get for me, if she so wishes. I'm getting all excited just by looking at the list :giggle2:

Cuckoo by Julia Crouch

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

The Journal of Dora Damage by Belinda Starling

Lady Into the Fox by David Garnett

The Library of Unrequited Love by Sophie Divry

Life, Liberty And the Pursuit of Sausages by Tom Holt

The Man in My Basement by Walter Mosley

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding in Plain Sight by M. E. Thomas

The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout

A Queer and Pleasant Danger: A Memoir by Kate Bornstein

Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt