A problem with... horror

Kell

As a follow-on from THIS thread about what irks us about fantasy novels, I thought I'd start off a similar one for horror, as I know that although there are loads of people who adore the genre, there are also many who completely shun it, or at least certain sub-genres, completely, and I'd love to know people's reasons.

Personally, I'm a big fan of most horrors, but I do have a bit of a problem with zombies for some reason (as well as mummies, which are, basically, gift-wrapped zombies), although I have actually enjoyed one or two books that features them.

I guess for me it's the shambling, mindless, brain-eating zombies that I can't get on with. Why, just because they're dead, would they be any less able to converse normally? After all, there are other undead creatures that traditionally are pretty eloquent, such as vampires and werewolves (although, I'd consider the latter supernaturals, rather than undead, per se), as well as ghosts (who don't have a physical body and therefore no brain, so why should they be any more intelligent than a zombie?).

The zombie-included books I've enjoyed haven't taken away the human side of the zombie, and usually have them as just slowly rotting versions of themselves. Often they're quite witty, to be perfectly honest.

Anyway, I just wondered if there was any aspect of horror that anyone else had a problem with. Or perhaps you're one of those anti-horror readers? Come on in and take a seat, I want to hear from you! And don't mind the children of the night howling outside the window - they won't bite - I promise!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I agree with you on the creepy horror v. bloody horror, Judy. I like some realism and intelligence# involved - and something that really plays tricks with your head. Although, I have to admit, I often find the incredibly gory horror books absolutely hilarious. It certainly keeps my colleagues at bay and stops them from interrupting me if I'm reading a book people know to be very violent and bloody whilst giggling like mad in the corner!

But is there any area of horror that you particularly don't enjoy, Judy? Anything that really puts you off and kind of spoils things for you? Or has there been a particular horror book that you found really un-enjoyable because of one aspect?

I'm not a horror fan. What I don't like is how unbelievable it generally is. I love psychotic thrillers, and very gory crime - I always feel that potentially these could happen. Horror always seems steeped in legend, and while I appreciate the original tales the constant rehashing doesn't appeal.

I've never really read a lot of horror - had to avoid it for years as I'm easily creeped out by such things. I remember during the seventies seeing The Amytiville Horror in the bookshops. Part of me was desperate to read it but my head reminded me that I would probably never sleep again if I did. I think reading Frankenstein and Dracula for my degree during my 30's was my first try at horror and even then I got a bit twitchy at times reading Dracula (think it's because we've got sash windows - certainly couldn't leave them open)! I recently read The Secret of Crickley Hall - just loved the title - and really enjoyed it, and also The Historian - think I may be discovering a new genre for myself!

I would be bored (rather than scared) by anything too gory or with too much fighting - like you I prefer things that play with the mind, a mere presence of something evil is enough to unnerve me. Anything involving torture is a no go area for me - that frightens me because I know it really happens so I get upset and despair of humanity.

I don't really read much horror, largely for the same reason I don't read much fantasy. There's too much unrealism involved. I don't mind some elements of horror, and long as there's a somewhat intelligent and interesting story wrapped around it. I'm a huge Stephen King fan, but I don't consider him to be a strict horror writer. Some of his stories have "horror" elements in them, but they aren't what drive the story - the plot and characters do that.

I don't think I could read much of an author who write hack-and-slash novels just for the sake of gore and spooky factor.

Who would be considered a strict horror author then? Richard Laymon (randy teenagers being chased by psycho killers :);)), James Herbert, and Clive Barker? These are the only authors that I know of that have been branded as horror, though I'm sure there are dozens more out there.

Maybe I'll give one a go, to see how gory they get. :lol:

I don't choose horror books now - I have read some books in the past that have chilled me to the bone but have kept on reading them mainly because they were well written and because I want to know that everything comes good in the end. 'Misery' by Stephen King is a book that I could hardly bear to read but carried on - it was truly horrific and played on my mind afterwards and similarly 'Cujo'. Horrible but so readable. Now I am older I veer away from this genre - I can't cope with it :lol:

I'm a huge Stephen King fan, but I don't consider him to be a strict horror writer. Some of his stories have "horror" elements in them, but they aren't what drive the story - the plot and characters do that.

I agree - SK tends to keep a pretty firm grip on reality and feed our darker fears of something happening in a "normal" situation to "normal" people, although some of them are more traditional creep-fests.

I don't think I could read much of an author who write hack-and-slash novels just for the sake of gore and spooky factor.

Richard Laymon is definitely a pure gore-fest writer - all the novels of his that I have read have featured a lot of blood and guts and either a psycho murderer or a monster of some kind. They all seemed pretty samey to me after a while, but I read quite a few of them when I was in my teens. Nowadays, his style doesn't appeal to me at all and come the last few I tried I was thinking "Oh, OK, slash-slash, blood-guts, scream-run-die... AGAIN!" and I haven't read anh more in quite some time now.

Richard Laymon... James Herbert, and Clive Barker?

I've never read any Clive Barker as yet (but that will change when my Reading Circle book arrives), but James Herbert I tend to like, along with a lot of Dean Koontz, although my favourites of theirs have been based in the more fairy-tale or sci-fi areas with some horror element in them (such as Once by Herbert and Lightning by Koontz).

I don't choose horror books now... Now I am older I veer away from this genre - I can't cope with it :lol:

Why's that, HandD? Was it any book or author in particular that put you off them?

And don't mind the children of the night howling outside the window - they won't bite - I promise!

(Kell is so awesome)

Brrrr ... horror!

I was buying Anita Blake books, one after the other, in the Sci-Fi section of my book store. The books were dealing with vampires, werewolves and; as a vamp-bounty hunter, Anita dealt with a lot of gore. Let me re-phrase: a LOT of gore! Walls splattered with blood, bath tubs full of dead torn up bodies, she's trying not oh-so-hard to puke on a crime scene.

One day I went to a different book store and I was shocked to find them in the Horror section! Me? Reading horror? Unbelievable!

As a broad generalization, I believe that what you put into your mind will manifest itself in some way in your life. I don't really want creepy dark evil thoughts running through my head or, even worse, super-imposing that type of thinking upon someone else, making me more and more paranoid - sitting in my apartment listening to the empty hallway.

I'm not sure what horror is to be honest.

Anne Rice and her Lestat? I read all of those.

Dean Koontz and his Frankenstein? I've read the first two.

Constantine (the movie with Keanu) was pretty good.

Color me naive, I guess I don't want the hero of my story to be evil. If we are fighting the baddies who slink about the corners and skulk down the shadows - I'm all for it.

I was going to reply that I've never read any horror, but then I read through this thread and remembered that I read a few James Herbert books in my teens. The genre doesn't really appeal to me though, so I haven't read any for about 25 years.

I don't really know why they don't appeal. I'm a bit squeemish, so I guess that puts me off a bit (I had to keep taking deep breaths when reading A Child Called It. I might try Dracula one day though - I think my parents have a copy I could borrow!

What annoys me about horror.

Supernatural creatures not all following the same rules. For example Author A might have vampires that explode into dust when hit by sunlight but Author B's vamps love the stuff.

Horror authors tend to be quite edgy and unable to accept criticism, I can name at least 4 who have thrown their toys out of their prams because someone has given them a bad review.

And my final tip is thus. The good guy does not always have to win, he doesn't always have to kiss the girl. Sometimes pain and sadness will do him good.

(Kell is so awesome)

Aww, thanks! :lol:

I'm not sure what horror is to be honest.

I think what is considered horrific differs from person to person. For example, I often find gory stuff hilarious, however unintentional that is on the part of the author, as I have rather a dark and twisted sense of humour. I also like that kind of horror where you get right inside the mind of someone completely psychopathic - it's like experiencing the other side with all the glee of the psychopath, but without the guilt and horrid associations of actually being a psycho myself which, I assure you all, I'm not, so you don't need to run away screaming or anything like that when you see me!).

And my final tip is thus. The good guy does not always have to win, he doesn't always have to kiss the girl. Sometimes pain and sadness will do him good.
I agree with that point - I actually rather enjoy it when the bad guy gets away with it and when the relationship doesn't work out all "happily ever after."

It's also worth noting here that the ideas I've had for my own vamp-fest aren't particularly "happy"...

Color me naive, I guess I don't want the hero of my story to be evil. If we are fighting the baddies who slink about the corners and skulk down the shadows - I'm all for it.

I'm the sort of person that has to believe in good and good prevailing - yeah sounds naive I know but it's important to me. I think horror works particularly well when someone good and vunerable is at risk from evil - it brings all my protective instincts out in me and that puts me on the edge of my seat.

I think what is considered horrific differs from person to person. For example, I often find gory stuff hilarious, however unintentional that is on the part of the author, as I have rather a dark and twisted sense of humour. I also like that kind of horror where you get right inside the mind of someone completely psychopathic - it's like experiencing the other side with all the glee of the psychopath, but without the guilt and horrid associations of actually being a psycho myself which, I assure you all, I'm not, so you don't need to run away screaming or anything like that when you see me!).

I agree OH looked at me abit funny when i read out a passage i had been chortling at

I think what is considered horrific differs from person to person.

I agree, for example when it comes to "horror" films I find the Freddy Kruger - Nightmare on Elm Street's films hilarious! However the Poltergeist films scare me so much I refuse to watch them ... :lol:

I'm not much for horror. Probably because it leaves a lasting image. I do like mysteries and crime which can be gory but so far I've been lucky and they have dealt with it quickly - or did I skim those parts? In middle school, my daughter brought home an assignment to read A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck and I caught parts of it which were pretty graphic and to this day bother me. So it truly is different for everyone.

I've just bought The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert...
I just had this one arrive this very weekend, courtesy of Gyre, who very kindly sent it to me. I've very much looking forward to reading it as not only is it by James Herbert (who has written a lot of books I've enjoyed), but I've heard very good things about it from folks on here - and that's usually a higher accolade, from my point of view, than if 100 professional reviewers said "buy this book - it's great!".

Here's an addition to the original question, actually - what is it specifically that you find unreadably scary? Is there anything in particular that would just give you too much of the willies to read a book?

My problems with horror are much the same as my problems with fantasy. Once we move into the realms of the unreal, whether it's vampires and zombies, or strange voices in the fog, or The Thing That Lives Doiwn The Drain, or the spooked car, I don't want to stretch disbelief.

I understand that it's a great cypher for exploring the subconscious and unconscious and how we react to the unknown or unknowable, but for me it's just too hard to read.

I rather like excruciating violence and brutality in novels, as long as it's not the core of the book, and I like some of the horror elements when applied in mainstream fiction, the use of suspense or whatever. I love that borderline area like in the film version of The Birds (never read the Du Maurier version), where there's a just-about-plausible explanation of what's happening. But there's a point where most horror fiction goes which is further than where I want to go.

And, as with fantasy again, too much in the genre steps far enough over the line that it becomes "safer" to steer clear completely, particularly as there are far too many other books that I know I want to read.

I have a problem with horror as well. I hate all the creatures that rise from the dead, in whatever form, bits or matter. I love thrillers, as gruesome and voilent as some of them may be, but I don't want to read about flying ex-humans, or shuffling bits of people coming back for an extended stay.

I used to read Point Horrors when I was a kid, but I can't remember anything about them. Now though, I don't bother. I don't even really like or see the point of horror movies as they usually have little to know actual storyline and are just there to try and scare you. By this, they usually just make you jump.

I would prefer to be made to feel scared - psychologically not through vampires and zombies which all seem a little childish to me.

I don't really know the horror genre though - is it mostly vampirs, zombies and scary creatures? Or are there some real ones that actually have a realistic storyline. I should get into psychological thirllers. I love TV dramas like that. I don't really like films/books that set out purposefully to 'horrify' me though.

That said, I haven't read horror since I was about 14...