Julie ~ "Lucky" 2013 ~ Booklist

julie

Thanks Devi

I'm sure you know how it feels to be stuck inside for long . This time of year makes it worse  I think. It helps if the sun is shining and blue skies . Right now we have some snow . Not a lot -- maybe a couple inches ,but the sky is grey all day ,so it makes it more challenging .

Are you able to sit outside a bit in the good weather ? Do you have a small porch or area you can listen to the birds and watch the people ? That sometimes helps me if I can get outside a bit like that .

Sure wish you lived here, I'd bring you up and yak at you til your ears got tired . You'd be begging for some quiet .

Also wondering if you could possibly have an easy to care for pet, like maybe a bird or a few fish ? Something like that might cheer you up a bit ?

I would love to be sitting on my back deck on the swing chair but its been odd weather wise here lately. Its meant to be summer here but i think the weather is having a case of multiple personalities. We had one day of 36 degrees, followed by a day of 10 degrees last week, and it actually snowed in the high country (where it got colder than 10)... in the middle of summer...

Since last wednesday we have had rain, thursday rain, friday rain, saturday sun! Sunday rain, monday rain and waiting to see what tomorrow brings. :giggle2:

I love the rain don't get me wrong, i sit on my bed with the window open (depending on the direction of the rain) and listen and watch. We do need the rain too so I am not complaining :). Tempted to bring my swing chair into the lounge though. :giggle2:

My partner and I look after my sisters jack Russell, she cant have pets where she lives. Her name is chloe, adorable but does take a bit of care, especially of late, she had surgery last week on her foot and neck. We also have a snake, it was my brothers, and when he passed on my sister took over the care of it, but again because she can't have pets, we are looking after it.

I don't know, i think it may be you who would get tired ears first! :giggle2: I can imagine us just going on for days chatting away! I would love it :)

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Devi

It sounds nice to have your swing there, but really strange weather ,isn't it ? Sounds like here ,ours changes a lot ,and usually the weather guys are wrong. They just guess at what they think it'll do,and sometimes get it right. We have learned to just look out the window to see . :)

Hopefully things will dry up a bit there so you can get outside and feel the sunshine . It really seems to help me . I'd like to live where we had more of it each year, but at least we get a variety here .

Those Jack Russell doggies are so cute --are they the ones with the really short legs ?

What's the name of the snake ? and what kind is he ? Do you take him out and hold him or keep him in his cage ?

I think it's a toss-up who would get the most worn out ears ...

My poor husband's ears ... he just bobs his head a lot ,pretending to listen .

Sometimes I catch him when I ask a question .   :icon_eek:      DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS ...

Here is chloe after her surgery last week, lets just say she wasn't impressed :giggle2:.

24573af8830906c634520071b8be40b9_zpsc867

This is her today, she had to get her bandage changed, i don't think she was a fan of the colour...

a97b202cdcf833de9a9392fe95ef08a7_zpsc070

...because she took it off not long after so we had to rush her to the vets to get a new one put on. She has also got a cone to wear if she tries to do it again, as you can see she isn't happy at the idea :giggle2:. Hopefully she likes the purple better. She has to spend most of her time indoors because of her foot.

d2495c85977bc936e1b7a0bfc6418f2b_zps2708

Elissa is a girl snake, she is a childrens python so has no venom, she squishes her food. She is very friendly and loves to come out of her cage for cuddles. I will take a picture the next time she is out from under her log.

ETA: sorry for so many photos. :blush:

Edited by Devi

Awww, what a cute dog :)!

I'm not too keen on snakes, I'm glad to hear she's not poisonous. They can be very nice to look at (so by all means post some photos :) )! I just wouldn't want any near me :blush2:.

Edited by Athena

Chloe was my Grandma's name ! She didn't look anything like this Chloe ,even after having a sore foot . The poor pup certainly looked angry in the first photo . What happened to her leg ?

I'd like to see the snake . I don't think I'd want one for a pet, although I'm not afraid of them .

Edited by julie

She had a growth on her foot that got to the point that it needed to be removed. She had one on her neck too. They won't test it unless the growth comes back.

I don't mind the snake, but I won't touch her. I had and still have now and then, nightmares about snakes.

I hope Chloe is ok and doesn't need any more work on her foot. She looked pretty ticked off in the first picture ,which I don't blame her ! Not fun getting things sawed off .  :(

I think lots of people are scared of snakes ,so you probably aren't alone. We also don't have many of them here in our area in town. I suppose the farmers might see a garter snake once in awhile, but they are as harmless as houseflies . ( Just a little scarier looking)

In the southern part of our state, they have Black snakes and such , but I don't know much about them .

I think your country is known for having the most poisonous types of snakes ? I think I heard that on Survivor  :) 

Gone : A Heartbreaking Story of the Civil War   -- Shelby Foote / Nell Dickerson 

61ewaecliYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

I was searching for a book that might tell a tale of the American Civil War ,from both viewpoints,and  I think I found it with this book .

Nell is an architect and photographer ,and she developed an interest in traveling to some of the old neglected plantation homes damaged and abandoned after the Civil War. She wanted to do something to draw attention to the fact that these homes are a part of our country's history and need to be preserved if possible.In the beginning ,she shows you several photos taken of this home , named Solitaire , which was a sad crumbling ruin when she found it .She researched the property and  learned about the family that lived and died there. The oldest son went off to fight in the war and was changed forever because of it .One day, Sherman's troops came onto the land ,and destroyed everything ,for no reason .A young officer who was ordered to take part in the tragic event tells how it made him feel to unnecessarily destroy everything this family had worked so hard for .

I don't think there are ever winners in a war . Everyone  loses .

Good story, quick read .   4/5

Edited by julie

Gone sounds really interesting Julie, my first thought on reading your review was, that would make a good coffee table book but i see you have it on Kindle instead. As i'm not a Kindle owner do you think the photographs are less impressive when viewed on the screen than if you were looking at the actual book. Not sure if i've put that very well but hopefully you'll know what i mean  :blink:

KM

The pictures aren't nearly as impressive on the Kindle . I read ones like this that have colored pictures on my Fire . It tells you how to adjust the print when reading this as an eBook so the pics will show a bit better, but they still turned out small and not as impressive as they would have been in an actual book. It really didn't have nearly the pictures I thought it would .

I also read Ransom Rigg's books (with the photos ) on my Kindle. They all turn out very clear, but smaller than I would like. I love looking at old photos of people, buildings, anything old .. So that is definitely one drawback to reading a book on Kindle . If it has pictures, they aren't as viewable.

If I had the money, I'd like to try one of the bigger screen Fires .

The photos would probably look better on them, but 400 bucks would look better in my pocket than on a charge card bill . :negative:

I think your country is known for having the most poisonous types of snakes ? I think I heard that on Survivor :)

Yep! We do, and the same with spiders too. In fact we have the most dangrous animals anywhere I think. Its kind of a tie with Africa. There are less deaths from dangerous animals here because we are educated about the wildlife and taught what to do when faced with a situation if poisoned etc. Edited by Devi

KM

The pictures aren't nearly as impressive on the Kindle . I read ones like this that have colored pictures on my Fire . It tells you how to adjust the print when reading this as an eBook so the pics will show a bit better, but they still turned out small and not as impressive as they would have been in an actual book. It really didn't have nearly the pictures I thought it would .

I also read Ransom Rigg's books (with the photos ) on my Kindle. They all turn out very clear, but smaller than I would like. I love looking at old photos of people, buildings, anything old .. So that is definitely one drawback to reading a book on Kindle . If it has pictures, they aren't as viewable.

If I had the money, I'd like to try one of the bigger screen Fires .

The photos would probably look better on them, but 400 bucks would look better in my pocket than on a charge card bill . :negative:

That's a shame they don't come out as well on Kindle, i love looking at old pictures as well especially when your reading about someone's life , i like being able to see what they looked like as children & what their parents looked like. I agree though 400 is a lot of money to spend, i mean how many books could you buy with that  :yahoo:

41IssSrVjiL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

Paper Towns by John Green    5/5

What happens when one of the Band Geek Crowd hears someone at his window one night, only to open it and see one of the most popular girls in school standing there ,asking him to take her to "run a few errands" that include a grocery list of the following :

3 catfish

Veet

Vaseline

Mountain Dew

Tulips

Bottle of water

Tissues

Blue spray paint

Together they go on a few adventures ,which ends up being the wildest night the boy has ever had . What happens afterwards soon makes his life go in a direction he would have never guessed .

I'm not familiar with any of the author's other books personally, but I will be breaking my NO MORE BOOKS rule to purchase another one or two from him .

A very interesting YA book , well told with an important message to people of any age. I started it late last night and have yet to get dressed ,since I HAD to see how it ended . It's been quite a long time since that has happened .

This book gets 5 stars ***** , plus a blue ribbon . 

VERY good --

This is the first book I've read by this author and I must say I was truly impressed !

Paper Town - 5 gold stars and a blue ribbon!   :cheers: One for the wishlist :smile: . 'No more books' rule is....well...something to aim for :smile:

Edit:that shopping list - the mind boggles  :giggle2: .

Edited by Marie H

Marie

I agree . I'm not real good at the no books rule . No matter if I am in the mood to read them or not, I always like buying them .

I really liked this one. I think because it was YA , not too much graphic stuff in it ,and a lesson learned at the end, which I love in a book . Something really different too, which helps sometimes if you're in a rut .

It wasn't very expensive for Kindle --like maybe 6 bucks I think ?

Paper Towns is on my kindle, and I have only heard good things about it. I think your review has made it climb higher up my Must Be Read Soon 'pile'. :smile:

Sadly I have no 'No Books' rule. Regardless of how my reading is going, I am always able to but books, especially with the ease of the kindle book buying. Sometimes I think maybe I should be bothered by my lack of discipline, but I love books and words and could never ultimately see my booky purchases as negative.  :shrug:

Chrissy

There's nothing wrong with not having a  no-book-buying rule, especially for anyone else . I  tend to go overboard sometimes ,and the handy-dandy Kindle & Amazon make that much too easy ,along with a handy-dandy charge card that immediately sucks all those charges onto it . The problem comes in when I get the bill,  and see how fast the prices add up ! I look like one of the cartoon characters, -- My eyes pop out, then back in .   :icon_eek:

Athena

Thanks, I hope you enjoy the book. I certainly did .

Edited by julie