• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ALRIGHT  !!!!!

Who Let The Dogs Out ????  HUH. HUH .HUH............... :boogie:

( sorry due to my poor singing, rapping and ability to remember lyrics to ANY song , I can't add to the above. )

Anyhow, today was my first long journey out after my hospital stay . I drove 5 miles to the nearest town and went to the Used Bookstore.

WHAT ,may you ask, was I DOING there ,after repeatedly berating myself for purchasing more books  ?

Purchasing more books .

Sorry, I blame it on lack of fresh oxygen to the brain.   :confused:

Or a Time Warp . :shrug:

Aliens ?     :no:

First time I've been out long enough to breathe fresh air. It started rushing to my head, I lost all track of where my car was going, and I came to.,  .......... in the Bookstore !

On top of that, I had a HONKIN' BIG pile of books sitting in front of me ,and the book lady was saying  :

30 DOLLARS PLEASE ..... Julie ?  Julie --- THIRTY DOLLARS !!!

So, to make a long (and mostly pretend ---Aliens, time Warp, etc...)  story short ,  came home with 15 books for 30 bucks .

I don't guess that's too shabby for 2 bucks a book, is it ?   :D

So, to make a long (and mostly pretend ---Aliens, time Warp, etc...)  story short ,  came home with 15 books for 30 bucks .

Stonking haul Julie  :D ! Fifteen books....wow.... :giggle2: . Oh, if only I have a time machine... 

Edited by Marie H

Chrissy

There's nothing wrong with not having a  no-book-buying rule, especially for anyone else . I  tend to go overboard sometimes ,and the handy-dandy Kindle & Amazon make that much too easy ,along with a handy-dandy charge card that immediately sucks all those charges onto it . The problem comes in when I get the bill,  and see how fast the prices add up ! I look like one of the cartoon characters, -- My eyes pop out, then back in .  

Hah, know that feeling! :D

Oh, I leave the eye popping to husband. :D Once a week he drives past an Amazon distribution centre and he claims that all the staff line the windows to wave and say "Thank you". :giggle2: I'm not entirely sure that he is kidding!

I. Love. This!! :rolol:

ALRIGHT  !!!!!

Who Let The Dogs Out ????  HUH. HUH .HUH............... :boogie:

( sorry due to my poor singing, rapping and ability to remember lyrics to ANY song , I can't add to the above. )

Anyhow, today was my first long journey out after my hospital stay . I drove 5 miles to the nearest town and went to the Used Bookstore.

WHAT ,may you ask, was I DOING there ,after repeatedly berating myself for purchasing more books  ?

Purchasing more books .

Sorry, I blame it on lack of fresh oxygen to the brain.   :confused:

Or a Time Warp . :shrug:

Aliens ?     :no:

First time I've been out long enough to breathe fresh air. It started rushing to my head, I lost all track of where my car was going, and I came to.,  .......... in the Bookstore !

On top of that, I had a HONKIN' BIG pile of books sitting in front of me ,and the book lady was saying  :

30 DOLLARS PLEASE ..... Julie ?  Julie --- THIRTY DOLLARS !!!

You go, girl!!  Hurrah!  Both for making the trip, and getting such a great deal on the books!!

List Please! :exc:

Ok ,here is what I bought :  :D

Crimson Petal and the White

Under the Dome

Shadow Country  - Peter Matthiessen

Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp - Rick Yancey

Crossing to Safety - Stegner

Patron Saint of Liars - Ann Patchett  ( read this before  a   L o n g  time ago )

Assassination Vacation - Sarah Vowell

HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG ---   :D

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Shanghai Girls ( both -Lisa See)

Netherland -O'Neill

The Westing Game - Raskin

Lush -Friend

Because of Winn Dixie -DiCamillo

Hoot- Hiaasen

*** Last 4 are YA . I enjoyed the last one so much, I wanted to try a few more .

A Christmas Memory   ,  One Christmas  , The Thanksgiving Visitor  --      Truman Capote - 5/5

3 novellas in one , this is Truman's tribute to the holidays he had  as a young boy .

A Christmas Memory is told as a 7 year old ,who lived with assorted relatives in a big old house .He and his cousin Sook, who was in her 60's ,and had never grown up "mentally", were best friends. They did everything together . He tells of his memories with her and their pet dog Queenie, who always tagged along .

He tells of them earning money in any way possible to buy ingredients to make 40 fruitcakes each year to give as gifts to friends and family. He tells of cutting down the tree and dragging it home on the sled, decorating it with handmade ornaments .They were poor, but so were most people during the Depression.  You can tell Truman loved Sook with all his heart and she loved him the same .

A few lines in the story brought tears to my eyes, as I have the same feeling of closeness with my Grandson .  I was there the day he was born. I cared for him every day til he started school ,and he spends every weekend with us .HE is my best friend .Only he can make me laugh when times get bad ,and I hope I've always been there for him when he has bad times too .

The following lines were the real tear-jerkers :

Sook -- "Seems like your hand used to be so much smaller . I guess I hate to see you grow up. When you're grown up ,will we still be friends ?    

I say "Always " .

Sentences like these are why Truman Capote is an all time favorite of mine. His words are magical .

One Christmas

This story is bittersweet ,as it tells of a Christmas when Truman's father insisted on having Truman spend Christmas with him . His parents had a marriage that lasted a year . His mom was 16, his dad ,28. They divorced and both had multiple marriages afterwards. They both went their separate ways, leaving Truman in the care of his mother's family.

His dad married many times, all elderly rich widows ,so he lived fairly well off on their money. His mother went to New York ,married a rich man ,and killed herself 30 years later .

Truman was never close to either one, and his Chistmas with his dad went pretty badly. His dad tried so hard to make Christmas special, but Truman wasn't close to his dad .The last day he was there his dad got drunk and tried to force Truman to tell him he loved him. As his dad got angrier, Truman became more afraid of his dad .All he wanted was to go back home. He told of the bus ride home .how he felt a crushing pain that hurt everywhere. He said  : " in a way , the pain has never left him "  .

Such a sad story, a dad trying so hard to make up for lost time, but a boy who couldn't love a parent he didn't know and wasn't raised with

When Truman got home, his cousin Sook told him the right thing to do was to write a postcard to his dad, thanking him for the Christmas .

At the end of the story :

"That same postcard exists today . It was found in my father's safety deposit box when he died last year ."

The Thanksgiving Visitor

This is the longest of the 3 stories ,and tells of a Thanksgiving when Truman was a schoolboy . He was bullied that year by a much bigger boy that bullied everyone at one time or another. Truman's cousin Sook  made him invite the Bully to Thanksgiving Dinner . This is the story of whether the bully attended and what happened as a result. It also gives you some words of wisdom at the end , so it's a good story too .

A lot of Truman's stories with his elderly relatives remind me of my Grandma's house. She was very elderly as I was growing up and always had lots of other family to visit when we went . She also had a brother who was somewhat like Sook. He had been brain-damaged at birth, being a 10 pound baby and hos mother (my great-grandma) being very tiny. They both almost died . Anyhow , he was my Great Uncle Harold , but was always fun to hang out with ,as he was like a little kid too. He loved going to the store to buy candy with us .

Truman's descriptions of all the home-made food reminded me of my Grandma's house ,too .

What else can I say ? Truman is a Gem . His stories really touch me .  5/5  .of course !!!

Edited by julie

Thanks Athena

I've tried that book a few times before, but will give it another shot. I'm pretty sure I'll like it ,as I usually like the whopper big books like that . I'll let you know one of these days when I get to it . I started another tree book yesterday so will probably go onto finish that first before anything else. I wanted to read the above Christmas stories now, but that was another quick book, so didn't take me long .

Ok ,here is what I bought :  :D

Crimson Petal and the White

Under the Dome

Shadow Country  - Peter Matthiessen

Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp - Rick Yancey

Crossing to Safety - Stegner

Patron Saint of Liars - Ann Patchett  ( read this before  a   L o n g  time ago )

Assassination Vacation - Sarah Vowell

HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG ---   :D

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Shanghai Girls ( both -Lisa See)

Netherland -O'Neill

The Westing Game - Raskin

Lush -Friend

Because of Winn Dixie -DiCamillo

Hoot- Hiaasen

*** Last 4 are YA . I enjoyed the last one so much, I wanted to try a few more .

You got some great books there Julie, Crimson Petal & The White is a fantastic read & of course the Lisa See book is also a 5 star book IMO. I've bought a Rick Yancey book, The 5th Wave for my teenage son for Christmas, it sounds so good i plan to read it myself & i'm getting House Of Sand & Fog from Santa this year as well. 

Happy Reading  :readingtwo:

Oh, I leave the eye popping to husband. :D Once a week he drives past an Amazon distribution centre and he claims that all the staff line the windows to wave and say "Thank you". :giggle2: I'm not entirely sure that he is kidding!

:giggle: Fabulous.

Julie, congrats on your Big Day Out and bookhaul.

I love A Christmas Memory too, such lyrical wordies. :D

KM

Yes, I picked Crimson Petal because of several good reviews on here . I like the whopper big books like that too, so that is also a plus .

I also chose the Lisa See due to someone recently reviewing it ... Marie ?   Sorry I can't remember, then someone else responded back to her . Anyhow when I saw those, I got them both ...

House of Sand and Fog, of course, because of Kate's excellent review of it . sounds good, so it went on the pile also .

The Yancey one, to be truthful, I didn't even read to see what it was about . I thought the title sounded neat, so thought , what the heck ? And bought it . I sometimes like choosing books that way. Just grab it due to the cover or title and surprise yourself .   :)

Thanks for the post !

Pixie

Thanks, it was SO good to get out a bit. I'm excited to read my books too .

And yes, I love how Truman talks about his childhood .

A Christmas Memory is told as a 7 year old ,who lived with assorted relatives in a big old house .He and his cousin Sook, who was in her 60's ,and had never grown up "mentally", were best friends. They did everything together . He tells of his memories with her and their pet dog Queenie, who always tagged along .

He tells of them earning money in any way possible to buy ingredients to make 40 fruitcakes each year to give as gifts to friends and family. He tells of cutting down the tree and dragging it home on the sled, decorating it with handmade ornaments .They were poor, but so were most people during the Depression.  You can tell Truman loved Sook with all his heart and she loved him the same .

A few lines in the story brought tears to my eyes, as I have the same feeling of closeness with my Grandson .  I was there the day he was born. I cared for him every day til he started school ,and he spends every weekend with us .HE is my best friend .Only he can make me laugh when times get bad ,and I hope I've always been there for him when he has bad times too .

The following lines were the real tear-jerkers :

Sook -- "Seems like your hand used to be so much smaller . I guess I hate to see you grow up. When you're grown up ,will we still be friends ?    

I say "Always " .

A-HA! That was what I heard on the radio a few days ago, but I didn't hear all of the episode, and the voice of Sook sounded really odd  :10_confused:, but now I know that it was Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory   :smile: .