Amazon Ratings/Reviews

Raven

(Inspired by a comment in the Casual Vacancy thread).

I use Amazon a lot, it is my go-to website for books, DVDs and a whole lot more and I used to find the customer reviews really helpful, but recently I've been finding that they aren't as helpful as they used to be.

As with the Casual Vacancy, people are increasingly using the rating system as a way of protesting something they aren't happy about that doesn’t always reflect the quality of the product itself.

For example, the theatrical cuts of the Lord of the Rings Blu-Ray disks have a number of negative reviews because they are not the extended versions. There's nothing wrong with the films themselves, but people have marked them down because they are protesting that Peter Jackson and New Line are "obviously" trying to fleece them. Similarly the listing for the BBC's forthcoming London 2012 Blu-ray - which hasn't been released yet - has a large number of positive reviews from one set of people saying how great the Olympics were, and then a large number of positive and negative reviews from people pointing out that the disk hasn't been released yet so how can someone rate it?

At the same time people seem to be getting confused between product reviews and seller reviews. If you buy anything from Amazon marketplace you are asked to review the service provided by the seller. Product reviews are for comments on the actual product listing, but, increasingly, I'm finding people are confusing the two and leaving comments on Amazon's delivery performance in product reviews and making comments about the products in the seller reviews.

Added to the above, in some instances Amazon has started stipulating categories for reviews (especially in the toy section where customers are asked to review products for entertainment and educational value etc). I have bought some collectables, that have been lumped into the toy section, and then asked to rate them on an educational value they just don't have. If I give the product zero stars for educational vlaue it then gets a low overall score accordingly, when it is actually a good product and does what it is supposed to.

I know I've gone a bit off topic (with regard to books) but do the rest of you use Amazon's rating system when choosing books or other products? Do you think the system is in need of some attention, or is it just me?

Edited for a few typos . . .

Edited by Raven

Like you, I use Amazon a lot. Not just to buy stuff but for the Wish List facility and... well just because I like the site!

I never look at the 'stars' before I've read the book/watched the DVD/used the item because I've noticed in the past that reviews are often skewed by factors such as those you mention above - and also people say things like I ordered this product weeks ago and it was late/it was not in the condition stated/the seller would not reply to my email - they're not rating the product at all, they're rating their experience of Amazon Marketplace - with a negative effect on the product which is not warranted..

I make a point of not reading Amazon reviews beforehand too - after all, what some people love, others hate - we're all different unless you're the bloke from the Life of Brian. :)

I think the system needs an overhaul. I do sometimes report reviews if I think them inappropriate but I don't always.

I too think it's time for an overview - I am not sure what the answer would be, but they need to find one, and quickly before the system loses all credibility. Perhaps they need to issue more detailed guidelines for reviewers and ask you to tick a box to say that you have read them or something.

I have nothing against authors posting reviews of their books etc that they have received from magazines (I have done this myself), but I do have issues with authors paying for reviews as you cannot guarantee that the review will be objective. Using reviews as a means to complain about the seller or the price of the item is though just not on - a review should about how much you enjoyed the book, the plot, the authors writing and so on. If you have an issue with the price, then don't buy it, it's as simple as that. As soon as the paperback is released the Kindle version will come down in price accordingly anyway, they always do - so if you don't want to pay £11 or whatever it is they are asking, then wait, and if you don't want to, then stop moaning about it!

Best place to buy a book that I have found. I also love their kindle service. I can find a "free" book at the library and download it on Amazon within 2 minutes. For me, the kindle has become a great way to read good books at little to no cost. For those of you that don.t have good libraries I suggest looking at possibly joining another library, for a small fee, that has great choice of books.

I use Amazon a lot and have never had any problems I look at the reviews only if I've heard about a book and want to find out more about it I love the Kindle selections for the most part but focus mostly on the free ones. I spent way too much money when I first got the Kindle so I need to be careful for awhile

This isn't really about how good Amazon are as a company or about the services they offer, it's specifically about the flaws (or otherwise) of the ratings and review systems Amazon has in place

I virtually always look at the customer reviews because overall you should be able to get a good feel for what people think about a product. Recently though, it’s been proving to be a bit of a minefield, largely because of the issues I have mentioned above, but also because the standard of their reviews seems to have dropped as well.

I do sometimes read the reviews of a book before I buy it on Amazon, but I take it with a pinch of salt. I'm most likely to have found the book through this forum or its review blog, and trust the opinions of the members I know more. I also know whether I've agreed or disagreed with them about other books, so this would be more influence. When I look at the Amazon reviews and ratings, I try to look at the whole range from the 5 stars to the 1 stars, but as soon as anyone goes off topic and starts talking about the delivery or service from Amazon, I switch off. In fact, when I think about it, I'll often go back and look at the reviews after I've read the book myself, to see if I agree with anyone else! But, I think that the reviewing system is now pretty poor and that there are more and more authors, authors friends, marketing depts and PR people writing fake reviews.

I think Amazon should put something in place so that you can only write a review on an item you've actually bought from them. It wouldn't stop some of the off-topic rants that people go into, but it might keep the reviewing system (at least for books) a bit fairer and more relevant, after all, anyone assoiciated with the book isn't going to be buying a copy as they'll probably get a freebie from the author, so only people who've actually paid cash out of their own pocket would be allowed to write and rate a product.

I think Amazon should put something in place so that you can only write a review on an item you've actually bought from them.

Completely agree with this. Also, they shouldn't allow people to post reviews before a product has been released. Being able to say 'This is going to be awesome' and giving a five star review (or vice versa) six months before something is available doesn't make any sense. I'm sure they could quite easily unlock the 'write a review' option when the status of an item changes to 'in stock'.

I think Amazon should put something in place so that you can only write a review on an item you've actually bought from them.

Good idea, and so simple I don't know why they don't limit people like that already!

Completely agree with this. Also, they shouldn't allow people to post reviews before a product has been released. Being able to say 'This is going to be awesome' and giving a five star review (or vice versa) six months before something is available doesn't make any sense. I'm sure they could quite easily unlock the 'write a review' option when the status of an item changes to 'in stock'.

I suppose part of that is that people get advanced copies etc and can legitimately claim to have read the book before it is released. If they can only review items once published, that goes away though.

I suppose part of that is that people get advanced copies etc and can legitimately claim to have read the book before it is released. If they can only review items once published, that goes away though.

True, but most of the pre-release reviews are from people who haven't even laid eyes on the product. How do they differentiate between the two?

ETA: to be fair, I'm not just talking about books.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

This isn't really about how good Amazon are as a company or about the services they offer, it's specifically about the flaws (or otherwise) of the ratings and review systems Amazon has in place

I virtually always look at the customer reviews because overall you should be able to get a good feel for what people think about a product. Recently though, it’s been proving to be a bit of a minefield, largely because of the issues I have mentioned above, but also because the standard of their reviews seems to have dropped as well.

You need to be specific. Is the topic about the Amazon Review or the Customer reviews.

btw, the reviews on Amazon are not nearly as important to me as the service they provide for obtaining a book/music/etc.

Edited by muggle not

I have a few thoughts:

Reviews in general are open to abuse, and this seems to happen a lot on amazon. We're all aware that some authors will get their friends to write glowing reviews, and in fact it's been well publicised recently that some authors have made tons of false accounts, and have not only given themselves 5* reviews, but have also slated their 'rivals' with 1* ones. There are also people who can be paid to write 5* reviews!

As a reviewer myself this is making me quite sad. My reviews tend to be positive, because I choose books to review which I think I will enjoy. I have given lower star reviews, but mine are often 4* or 5*. I do wonder though whether people believe what I'm writing, or if they think I've been somehow influenced by the author.

Then we have the recent issue, highlighted by the JK Rowling book, where reviews have nothing to do with the book. There are both 5* and 1* reviews listed which have nothing to do with the book, only the price. I've also seen this happen for other things.

This is just annoying, and I think it should be better policed by amazon.

Finally, there are the reviews which manage to give away the whole plot, including spoilers. I tend to glance at a review, and if I see any details, I immediately move on!

Amazon do have a facility to show if you've actually bought a product from them (I think it's listed as a verified purchase). Whilst I appreciate that this may make the review seem more dependable, I don't think the others should be discounted. Amazon is still a place where people go for book reviews, so it should be a good resource. I may buy a book elsewhere, or be sent it by the publisher, but I still like to put my review on amazon for others to read.

I guess that I use Amazon differently than some here on the forum. I mainly use Amazon as a place to obtain books, both bought and free. The other use is to read a "Description" of the book. I frequently get my recommendations/review from here on the forum (kudos to you Michelle). For example, recently poppy recommended a book by Neil Gaiman.....Coraline.....I went to Amazon and read the description and then decided to download the book to my kindle. all that took place in about 3 minutes.

I guess that I use Amazon differently than some here on the forum. I mainly use Amazon as a place to obtain books, both bought and free. The other use is to read a "Description" of the book. I frequently get my recommendations/review from here on the forum (kudos to you Michelle). For example, recently poppy recommended a book by Neil Gaiman.....Coraline.....I went to Amazon and read the description and then decided to download the book to my kindle. all that took place in about 3 minutes.

I'm the same Muggles, I don't really take any notice of the reviews, I'm usually after a specific book that I've already decided to buy. I don't think I'd take the reviews on Amazon too seriously ....but that rather backs up others opinion that it needs improving.

Edited by poppy

I'll be back later, but I think there are massive problems with amazon's reviews!

lol how true. I've seen reviews that have nothing to do with the product itself. They have probs with delivery, service, whatever. Darned unfair IMO.

Oh yes, this drives me nuts! I think you have a great idea there.

I still think Steve's onto something with his idea. I don't think advance reviews are necessarily that important to a product (I'm mostly focusing on books here).

I long ago gave up on using Amazon for reviews. I believe there is a high number of reviews by friends, family and authors on Amazon - probably much higher than on other review sites. I have absolutely no evidence or stats to back me up on that statement; I just have a gut feeling that Amazon reviews cannot be trusted.

Talisman mentioned that something should be done before Amazon loses all credibility. I'm afraid the horse bolted a long time ago for me, and probably many others. I'm not sure Amazon could do anything to get me interested again.

I rarely buy anything other than books online, and I have the good, trustworthy folk of this forum to turn to for reviews, as well as Goodreads (which also suffers from the problems I mentioned above, but I believe to a much lesser extent than Amazon).

I use Amazon from time to time although I have to admit that I do like actual bookshops as I tend to pick up a few books on a whim each time. I don't tend to pay a lot of attention to the reviews on Amazon, I tend do follow books recommended on either this forum, Goodreads or the Guardian's book site. It does seem like the Amazon review system is really open to abuse reading through this thread. I do find it very bizarre that you can leave a review without having actually bought the item from them.

I don't think the company will care too much as long as they remain popular.

I don't think advance reviews are necessarily that important to a product (I'm mostly focusing on books here).

They are to the people marketing the book, if they can get advanced word out that the book is good it will help sales (that's the main reason people get sent advanced copies, to hopefully spread the good word!).

I wonder why people trust Goodreads more than Amazon? It's just as easy to abuse over there.

Yes, and I said as much in my post. It might be because book readers on Goodreads are more likely to be serious readers and Goodreads is a niche website compared to Amazon, which sells anything and everything. Reviews on Goodreads seem to focus more on the content of the product, whereas Amazon users, as others have noted, will complain about sellers and packaging etc.

They are to the people marketing the book, if they can get advanced word out that the book is good it will help sales (that's the main reason people get sent advanced copies, to hopefully spread the good word!).

But the word will get out there regardless - why would a few days or weeks make much difference? Particularly with social media and the way things go viral, word will get out pretty quickly anyway.

Yes, and I said as much in my post. It might be because book readers on Goodreads are more likely to be serious readers and Goodreads is a niche website compared to Amazon, which sells anything and everything. Reviews on Goodreads seem to focus more on the content of the product, whereas Amazon users, as others have noted, will complain about sellers and packaging etc.

But the word will get out there regardless - why would a few days or weeks make much difference? Particularly with social media and the way things go viral, word will get out pretty quickly anyway.

Again, I agree with your logic kylie. something else to keep in mind. If it is a first time book by the author then people may purchase, at first, based on the reviews. However, for many established authors people buy if is written by one of their favorite authors. For example, after reading "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", I didn't need a review of the next book as I was hooked and nothing could stop me from buying it. Same as with John Steinbeck, after reading the first book I read them all. Some were better than others but I enjoyed them all tremendously.