Book News!

Raven

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah, my Mother always said, "expect the worst, and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised...".  Hafta say, I like that. 

That it quite genuinely my philosophy in life. :) It never lets me down!

"The study concludes that, on average, people who read regularly are more satisfied with life, happier and more likely to feel their life is worthwhile."

:D

Hell Yeah! :D

But isn't this the same survey that is saying [basically] that people with more money read more books?  So doesn't it follow that people with more money are probably going to have a better standard of living and enjoy life more whether they read books or not?

Don't be so smug in your personal book reading Nirvanas, you'll end up looking like this!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The BBC announced earlier in the year that they would be increasing programming around books, and yesterday it was announced that they have agreed to a three year partnership with the Hay Festival.  Previously, Sky Arts have done a fantastic job broadcasting from the festival, but I appreciate that they are only reaching a limited audience while the BBC coverage will be available to all in the UK, however, I hope that it's easy to catch all the scheduled programmes as they'll be spread across radio and television, and I worry that I'll miss something I really want to see/hear because it's not easy to figure out the scheduling.  I also hope they have some decent presenters and interviewers, as in the past, I've seen some promising book programmes let down by the personalities hosting them.  Fingers crossed!

Edited by chesilbeach

Sounds good, it's a shame our house can't receive the BBC (most people in the Netherlands have cable so they can see it), would've liked to have a look, it sounds interesting :).

The BBC announced earlier in the year that they would be increasing programming around books, and yesterday it was announced that they have agreed to a three year partnership with the Hay Festival.  Previously, Sky Arts have done a fantastic job broadcasting from the festival, but I appreciate that they are only reaching a limited audience while the BBC coverage will be available to all in the UK, however, I hope that it's easy to catch all the scheduled programmes as they'll be spread across radio and television, and I worry that I'll miss something I really want to see/hear because it's not easy to figure out the scheduling.  I also hope they have some decent presenters and interviewers, as in the past, I've seen some promising book programmes let down by the personalities hosting them.  Fingers crossed!

This is brilliant news. I had tickets for the Hay Festival to see Stephen Fry this year, but realised I wasn't able to go. :(

I wish I had Sky Arts, they seem to have some great programs on about books and literature.

• 1 month later...

Maybe everyone knows about this, but I didn't.........

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/18/haruki-murakami-due-english-colorless-tsukuru-tazaki-and-his-years-of-pilgrimage

Coming in August, English translation, yays! A new Murakami!

Edited by pontalba

I had no idea it was published in the Netherlands before in English. I have two books by him on my TBR and some more on my wishlist. They sound like something quite special.

I was a little surprised as well.  But that may be the egotistical (only) English-speaker in full mode.  :D

• 5 weeks later...

Bit of an odd one that. 

Okay, so it's probably just Rowling enjoying herself with a bit of World Cup inspired writing, but it reads more like a reintroduction.  Could she be planning something bigger?

Bit of an odd one that. 

Okay, so it's probably just Rowling enjoying herself with a bit of World Cup inspired writing, but it reads more like a reintroduction.  Could she be planning something bigger?

I wondered that .. is there more to come?

Bit of an odd one that. 

It did seem a bit of a precursor piece didn't it?

Oh, and hello Raven - how's things? :smile:

Bit of an odd one that. 

Oh, I do hope so!  :jump:  I grieve for all the unwritten Harry Potter books.

A bit more J. K. Rowling news, although this time for her Robert Galbraith crime novels:

J. K. Rowling plans crime book spree

I just had The Cuckoo's Calling recommended to me from Amazon because I liked Mr. Mercedes (King).

From Amazon:

A brilliant mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.

After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

(There is more, check out Amazon's description for more)

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

(561 pages, available in Kindle and paperback)
Edited by Anna Begins