Book News!

Raven

I had not realized that the Orange prize was for women authors, and I'm not sure I actually approve.  I like it, though. :D

It's about time women stick together.  Men are taught from babyhood to be team players, while, even in this day and age women are not.  And that is our weakness. IMO

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of this might not be relevant to the current conversation, but I just found this thread. 

As far as not reading as a teen, I am a teen and I love it. But this is a more recent thing (probably since I started high school). For me, it was hard to read with a busy schedule in the first place and so many pre-teens and teens strive to be "popular" and "cool" and reading isn't either one of those, unfortunately. About halfway through my first year of high school I decided that I didn't care and that I loved reading so I was just going to read and didn't care what everyone thought about me. 

When it comes to ebook vs. paper books I love both. I think what I like about the ebooks is that amazon has so many free classics because they no longer have copyright or whatever that it's much better to pay nothing for a book than pay 5 or 6 USD. That said, I read paper books much more than ebooks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a couple of interesting links today. :)

'Books On Bikes' Helps Seattle Librarians Pedal To The Masses

And, for science fiction fans......

Author, Feminist, Pioneer: The Unlikely Queen Of Sci-Fi

And, for mystery, Sue Grafton fans......

In 'Alphabet' Mysteries, 'S' Is Really For Santa Barbara

Last, but not least, I wonder if anyone on here has visited this festival.

Hay Festival 22 May–1 June 2014

I originally heard of the last festival back in 2006 from this NYT article. In Rural Wales, a Sundance for Bibliophiles

Are you going for the record for how many times you can put the same post in different threads?

Which other threads did Pontalba post in? I can't see any duplicates...?

I think one of the other mods has deleted the posts Ian was referring to - there were about 20 duplicates of exactly the same post promoting the same book in various threads, all by a new user.

Yes, there were, all together, 5 identical posts from a poster calling themselves Becca1993.  There may have been more, but I received at least 5 notifications. 

Thank you Janet, and CB. :)

For those fans of Wally Lamb , he has a new book coming out in  October called We Are Water .

Donna Tartt fans , a new book called Goldfinch .

Both due out on the same day, Oct . 22nd  .  I'm excited .

* Sorry if this has already been mentioned in here .

Which other threads did Pontalba post in? I can't see any duplicates...?

I think one of the other mods has deleted the posts Ian was referring to - there were about 20 duplicates of exactly the same post promoting the same book in various threads, all by a new user.

Yes, sorry about that - now the posts have been removed, my reply looks a bit rude! A little bit of investigating shows that the new user was probably the authors girlfriend. Naughty naughty! 

Yes, sorry about that - now the posts have been removed, my reply looks a bit rude! A little bit of investigating shows that the new user was probably the authors girlfriend. Naughty naughty! 

No need to apologise. :) I'm sure we all know Pontalba well enough to know she would never do something like that.

Oh, of course not, I knew immediately what had happened.  :)  That's why I posted as I did. :flowers2:

For those fans of Wally Lamb , he has a new book coming out in  October called We Are Water .

Donna Tartt fans , a new book called Goldfinch .

Both due out on the same day, Oct . 22nd  .  I'm excited .

* Sorry if this has already been mentioned in here .

Ooh, brilliant ! I had no idea a new book of hers was coming out. Whee ! th_dancing.gif

Cutting edge architecture for Birmingham's books

Whether you like the architectural look of the outside of the building or not (I think it could grow on me), could anyone fail to love the interior design of the new Birmingham library?  This audio slide show makes it look stunning, but I guess a visit would be required to find out how practical it is! :D

• 4 weeks later...

This is an interesting idea, and I would definitely like to see it happen.  There are some authors whose books I want the physical copy of, as well as the flexibility to have an ebook copy, and I have sometimes paid twice to obtain both editions, so would love to see there being a free (or significantly discounted) digital copy with every physical book.

I think it's a great idea! I would love to see it happen, that you get both or the other for a significant discount. I'd be quite interested in that, to be honest.

I use my Kindle mainly when I travel (though sometimes when I'm not), and sometimes when I'm travel I want to read a certain book but I can't because I own it in paperback and I only brought the Kindle. Or other times, I have it on my Kindle but want to read a paperbook (because I'm at home and prefer that)..

Edited by Athena