bree

Thanks, frankie, I think that cements my decision not to continue with it.  Looking at my book list, I've read three other novels and two short story collections by him, and like I said, I've enjoyed them all, so it was a bit of a disappointment to find myself abandoning this one, but I think I'll try the rest of his books at some point - it certainly has put me off.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, frankie, I think that cements my decision not to continue with it.  Looking at my book list, I've read three other novels and two short story collections by him, and like I said, I've enjoyed them all, so it was a bit of a disappointment to find myself abandoning this one, but I think I'll try the rest of his books at some point - it certainly has put me off.

I hate to be the one who helped you cement your decision (what an interesting expression!) on this book, because I liked it so much, but the book's not going to change its course and so I think you'll be better off if you abandon it. I can only imagine how gobsmacked you were to read the first few chapters on the book, having expected something completely different!

I don't know about Faber's work in general, but going by what you said (the other books you've read being different from this) I assume this was a 'one off' of his and I think you'll be good with his other works. :shrug:

Edited by frankie

Well, if nothing else, our discussion has meant you've found a new English expression to add to your ever increasing knowledge of our idiosyncratic language! :lol:

True that! :D Oh, and you've learned a Finnish expression, too :D

My first abandoned book of the year is The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.

I tried but just couldn't read any further than a few chapters - found it too mind numbing.

I have a few others:

American Psycho (waaayyy over the top)

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (mehh)

The Little Friend by Donna Tart (read quite a substantial chunk but gave up)

The Glass Books of Dream Eaters by Gordon Dalqhuist (This I really wanted to like but it just got too bizarre and hard to follow)

Ayn Rand is dreadful, the book Atlas shrugged almost killed me with boredom.

I don't abandon a lot of books, generally I try to stick with it. There have been a few I abandoned, for example: Jodi Picoult - Songs of a Humpback Whale (a few years ago) and Eleanor Druse - The Journals of Eleanor Druse (many years ago). The first one I couldn't get into, so I abandoned it and decided to read it when I'm in a different mood (I haven't rated it yet). I love most of Jodi Picoult's other novels that I've read by her so far, so I don't know why I had problems with this one. Eleanor Druse - The Journals of Eleanor Druse (Dutch version) was just dreadful, I didn't enjoy it at all at the time and if/when I get rid of some books (ie. charityshop etc), I'll get rid of it. I don't remember many others, there'll probably have been some but not in the recent years at least.

Edited by Athena

A lot of people won't like this, but I gave up on The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

I also gave up on the Wheel of Time series.  Fantasy is a bit difficult for me to get into.  I did get sucked into the A Song of Ice and Fire series, but GRRM starts slow with a lot of the fantasy elements of the series.

• 2 weeks later...

I read about half of Paradise Lost when I was a teenager...I still plan on finishing it someday, but UNNNGGGHHH.

I also read the first volume of The Gulag Archipelago, not realising there was more. I think read enough to get the point though.

I can add another to my list of abandoned books.....

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan.  I forced myself to read up to 50%, but just couldn't continue. Life  is too short.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people won't like this, but I gave up on The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

I could never finish that either, I had to read it as part of my English Literature course at college and my tutor soured it for me, actually that tutor instilled a probably undeserved dislike of Atwood in general.

I nearly gave up on Money by Martin Amis but in the review I'd read the reviewer suggested giving it until page 50 before quitting, I was so glad I did. I rarely abandon any books, the only two that spring to mind are one called 'The Serial Killers Club' by Jeff Povey, which was awful, and Catch-22 which was ruined for me when found out how it ended.

• 2 weeks later...

I have abandoned Death comes to Pemberley P D James but I will go back to it at some point I just have to be in the moood for it.

It took me a long time to finish this book. It was clever because it was in keeping with Austin's style but I didn't find it that interesting.

Charles Dickens' biography by Claire Tomalin - really tried with this but it defeated me, too many details and dates.  Every little detail about his life that I didn't want to know and yet I feel embarrassed because apparently it's well regarded in the literary world.  :blush2:

• 2 weeks later...

This year, I gave up on The Rise and Fall of Napoleon Bonaparte by Robert Asprey. I admire Asprey for trying to be as objective as possible, but the prose was rather dry and it was more about his battles than the man himself. Once I read Cronin's Napoleon, then I might give it another shot because it's incredibly detailed; it just lacks real analysis.

The only book I can remember abandoning is Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson .. I just didn't have a clue what was going on. I still have the book with my bookmark in it which must mean something (that I don't know when to admit defeat possibly.) I may return to it one day .. a sad day when no other books are available to me  :D

I wanted to abandon Death Comes to Pemberley by PD James and The Ambassadors by Henry James .. but didn't.

I wish I had abandoned Madame Bovary :D

I gave up on Catcher in the Rye recently.  I tried to keep reading it, but it just seemed like nothing was happening, and the writing was quite boring.

I think the age you read Cather in the Rye seems to be factor in enjoyment levels.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Looking through my book list for this year, so far I have abandoned:

Dark Lord: The Teenage Years - Jamie Thomson

Missing Gretyl: Only Fools and Trollops - Si Page, Mark Stibbe, Tony Trimmer

Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness

I'm really not a fan of abandoning books, but sometimes you have to. Just worked out that it is 8.6% of books that I started this year. That sounds so high! :lurker: How many have you abandoned this year?

I have abandoned:

Josh Feingold - The Secret Guide to Happiness

Lilian Jackson Brown - Cat Who... 29: De Kat Die 60 Snorharen Had

Roy Richard Grinker - Unstrange Minds: A Father Remaps the World of Autism

Roald Dahl - Going Solo

3 of these counted as read, 1 as not read, because I finished more than half of these books.

I have read 171 books this year so far, and have abandoned ~2% of the books I started to read.

I have abandoned:

Josh Feingold - The Secret Guide to Happiness

Lilian Jackson Brown - Cat Who... 29: De Kat Die 60 Snorharen Had

Roy Richard Grinker - Unstrange Minds: A Father Remaps the World of Autism

Roald Dahl - Going Solo

3 of these counted as read, 1 as not read, because I finished more than half of these books.

This is probably a silly question, but I don't get it. You finished more than half of those books (3 books?), but yet you list them as abandoned books?