bree

Josh Feingold - The Secret Guide to Happiness <- I read maybe 20 pages, then abandoned it

Lilian Jackson Brown - Cat Who... 29: De Kat Die 60 Snorharen Had <- I read about 130 pages and skimmed the last 10

Roy Richard Grinker - Unstrange Minds: A Father Remaps the World of Autism <- I read maybe 60% of the book and abandoned the rest, but counted it as read because I wanted to write a review for the book

Roald Dahl - Going Solo <- I read 60% of the book and skimmed the rest

Sorry for the confusion :blush2:, does this help?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's just different definitions :) I only count a book as read if I read all of it - although that may include some skimming which I will note in the review. Any books I read therefore cannot count as abandoned because I finished them.

I generally review books I abandon, although the one exception was Money by Martin Amis (abandoned 2012) as I only read about 40 pages before deciding I couldn't bear to continue...!

Edited by Alexi

I've only given up 1 and 1/2 books this year.  I hardly ever start a book and then don't finish.

I abandoned a collection of short stories, Burnt Tongues selected by Chuck Palahniuk, as it was just trying too hard to be strange and edgy.  I did read just over 50% of it though (200 pages)  and I did count it as read.  I may come back to it. I've never done that before, but it seemed fit to put it on the "read" list and I reviewed it.  I did make a note on my list, however, that it was only read to 50%.  Otherwise, my read list is all completed books.  Even though I've just finished my 60th book for the year, I look at it as 59 and 1/2.

I abandoned Cuckoo's Calling by JK Rowling, as it was sooooooo boring!  It was supposed to be a read with my dad but he found it too slow also!  I was only about 75 pages in (and had attempted it three times).

But as a general rule, only completed books go on the read list and I try to review everything.  I just couldn't review Cuckoo as I didn't read enough to review.

Ooops- I also gave up on Jay Asher's 13 Reasons Why- Frankie just reminded me with her review.

Edited by Anna Begins