Strictly Come Dancing 2012

Raven

Who are your rooting for? I'm still not sure. I like the thought of Louis and Flavia and I thought he danced well but was lacking in emotion .. perhaps he'll learn to relax into it. They look amazing together.

It's really hard to tell whose going to do well at the moment, as it was only the first show, but I think a lot of them have potential. I did feel sorry for Victoria Pendleton when she messed up. It seems like she is really hard on herself, when she gets things wrong. It was only the first programme, she should chill out a bit more!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pendles doesn't do chilled out :lol: We were taking bets on how long it would be before she cried. I said it would be before the opening credits :lol:

As long as she's not a wet lettuce every week. It's understandable to be .. well frankly petrified .. during the first live performance. However, it got on my pip a bit during the Olympics so I hope she can channel it better. Brendan will be able to steer her right I'm sure (oh .. I've made a pun! :D) however I did think he made that first dance too complicated. She will fare better in hold I think and you may as well get your meltdown over with in the first show.

On reflection, I rate Lisa and Robin's dance more highly now because theirs is the one I keep watching. Also liking Louis and Flavia and Kimberley and Pasha. Ola is doing a grand job with Sid but nothing can make me like James and teaming him up with Denise has made it worse because I've never liked her either. I'm sure they will dance great together but they won't get my vote (but then no-one will .. so it won't put them at a disadvantage :D).

Well, guess who I just saw?! :)

Dani Harmer and Vincent are doing their training in my local leisure centre! I was just in the coffee shop picking up my favourite tea bags and there they were, sitting on a sofa chatting after eating their lunch, empty plates as you'd expect after all that hard work, although thinking about it they didn't look flushed or sweaty... He did have a very large boom box with him though so maybe they were just fuelling up before starting! :D

Some of that was a cringe fest .. spent more time with my head behind a cushion than during week one. Also .. some of the songs were murdered ... the Adele one for instance was shocking.

And then there's the costume dept .. Jerry brought her own dress with her and I think that must have won her some votes because it was the best outfit by far. She's pretty terrible, however, I find her quite fun (in a lazy, drawling sort of way) and so want her to stay a bit longer.

Denise is the best dancer but I don't like her so can't get much pleasure from it. There are so many others that might be/could be good and just aren't at the moment. I thought Victoria was better but it still looked awkward, I don't think she feels the music. I'm a bit puzzled as to why they thought Victoria was as good as Kimberley, though Kimberley wasn't at her best. Louis and Flavia I still like but they do need a bit more chemistry (Flav is working on that though). Lisa and Robin are a joy, she's loving it and she couldn't have asked for a better partner. So many of them look pi**ed off with what they've been lumbered with (partner-wise).

Poor Nicky, his pro dancer is horrible and is doing him no favours at all.

I already know the result because I read the spoiler .. it's not really a surprise, there are about five of them at least that you can't see lasting long.

Johnny has gone after being in the dance-off with Richard

So there's a clear front runner, a few that could improve and be quite good, some that are really likeable which will see them through a few weeks and the rest are pretty awful.

I haven't seen the spoilers (although I've seen a couple of celebrity tweets about their dance next week giving away the fact that they got through) but I genuinely like all the contestants this year, and I'll be sorry to see any of them go. I think my least favourite would be Nicky and like you Kay, I think his professional is not doing him any favours, along with wardrobe - that outfit last night was awful. I suspect the Westlife fans will keep him in for a while.

I quite like Jerry too, but if she finds herself in the bottom two, I can't see the judges saving her, and as much as Johnny is a legend in our house, I suspect he might be bottom two material too, although I really like Iveta, coming in at such short notice and she just seems lovely.

I think I'm one of the few not bothered by Denise - lots of people I've seen have taken umbrage at the fact that she went to stage school and has been in musicals, saying she's too experienced, but she's certainly not the first celebrity with those credentials. I always it balances out against other things - she doesn't have the fitness of sportspeople, or the built in fan base of popstars. I like her sense of humour too, and I love following her and James on twitter - they make me laugh. If they get to the final and dance that jive again, with the extra experience and technique she'll have learnt over the series, that could rival the legendary Jill Halfpenny's jive.

I agree with you about Louis & Flavia, they still seem to be getting to know each other and Louis, like Victoria, is suffering from a lack of performance experience, but he's definitely working hard and I hope they'll get there. Talking of Victoria, much better this week, and I really want her to do well. Although the judges gave her the same marks as Kimberley, I actually think it was deserved. Although she must learn how to spot on her turns out of hold, but her footwork was better than Kimberley, and she maintained body contact better too, while Kimberley had the edge on performance, so equal marks were fair for me.

I really liked the two salsa routines, both Dani and Sid are growing on me, and think they've done enough to be safe.

Have to say, my favourite moment of the night was that after Michael's jive which was so, so bad, that even Natalie couldn't keep a straight face when she was trying to talk him up afterwards!

Edited by chesilbeach

Pendles doesn't do chilled out :lol: We were taking bets on how long it would be before she cried. I said it would be before the opening credits :lol:

Yeah I gather that now! Although she seemed slightly more relaxed than last week. Does anyone else think that the judges are being rather mean with scoring this year?

Does anyone else think that the judges are being rather mean with scoring this year?

Personally, I think they're being more realistic with the scoring, and it looks like Darcey is going to score lower than Alesha on average - I haven't looked at it in detail yet, but my feeling is that Alesha was nearly always the highest scoring judge, particularly in the early stages of the competition, and particularly more ge.nerous to the poorer dancers. I think Darcey is being a more objective judge at the moment which is why the scores might seem low

I quite like Jerry too, but if she finds herself in the bottom two, I can't see the judges saving her, and as much as Johnny is a legend in our house, I suspect he might be bottom two material too, although I really like Iveta, coming in at such short notice and she just seems lovely.

Iveta is lovely .. I prefer her to Aliona although Aliona is better than Karen .. where did they get her from? (and is it too late for a refund or an exchange?) :D

I think I'm one of the few not bothered by Denise - lots of people I've seen have taken umbrage at the fact that she went to stage school and has been in musicals, saying she's too experienced, but she's certainly not the first celebrity with those credentials. I always it balances out against other things - she doesn't have the fitness of sportspeople, or the built in fan base of popstars. I like her sense of humour too, and I love following her and James on twitter - they make me laugh. If they get to the final and dance that jive again, with the extra experience and technique she'll have learnt over the series, that could rival the legendary Jill Halfpenny's jive.

I'm not sure anyone will ever rival the Halfpenny :D I'm not bothered about Denise's previous dance experience .. she has an advantage over most but then so have others in the past and they haven't been penalised for it, I just have never liked her from the Big Breakfast days onwards .. I don't like all that ladette stuff and showing your bum every five mins .. it was all a bit .. common :D As you know ;) me and James don't see eye to eye .. he rubs me up the wrong way but, with the dance-off now reinstalled, he should be safe for the final. It's more than possible that Denise will win people over by then and then who knows. Personally I would prefer to see someone going on a .... 'journey' (sorry .. I couldn't think of an alternative word :D) but Alesha didn't really and neither did Kara .. and they were both worthy winners.

I agree with you about Louis & Flavia, they still seem to be getting to know each other and Louis, like Victoria, is suffering from a lack of performance experience, but he's definitely working hard and I hope they'll get there. Talking of Victoria, much better this week, and I really want her to do well. Although the judges gave her the same marks as Kimberley, I actually think it was deserved. Although she must learn how to spot on her turns out of hold, but her footwork was better than Kimberley, and she maintained body contact better too, while Kimberley had the edge on performance, so equal marks were fair for me.

I always enjoy seeing sports people giving it a go because it's so out of their comfort zone usually. I'm not ultra keen on Victoria .. and that started at the Olympics (2012 .. I came into them being a bit of a fan) mainly (in this) because she doesn't seem to be much fun. I think she's hard work and Brendan has his work cut out .. but .. that could easily change when she gets more confident .. she may relax and bring the fun into it and, if I'm honest, I prefer to see people turn it completely around to those that start and continue well. My favourites are never written in stone and I've often ended the series backing someone I wasn't keen on to begin with. What dance have they got next week? do you know yet Claire? (you know all these things :D) Louis has got so much potential .. he's heading for the final too if he can bring a bit more of his personality out.

I really liked the two salsa routines, both Dani and Sid are growing on me, and think they've done enough to be safe.

I quite liked them both too though Ola is another 'non favourite' .. she does too much preening and dancing around her celeb .. it's decorative but it's lazy (my Dad won't watch Strictly and the reason is .. which must be contrary to most of the men in the country .. that he can't stand the way the women pro's posture about during the latin dances .. I think I've picked up a few of his prejudices). Sid can dance though so hopefully he will be given lots to do and we might not have to see the catsuit this year (sorry guys :D) I like Vincent but am not sure about Dani (dancewise) .. she has the potential for improvement and that makes it very interesting. She reminds me a bit of Louisa Lytton and I liked her and Vincent together.

Have to say, my favourite moment of the night was that after Michael's jive which was so, so bad, that even Natalie couldn't keep a straight face when she was trying to talk him up afterwards!

There is something I like about him though (clearly .. not his dancing :D) .. but he has to be one of the ones in danger. I do like Nat (and I know you're not a fan .. could be we are completely vice-versa with our pro likes and dislikes .. though we do align with Vincent and Flavia .. indeed, who could not? :D). Richard was the one that had me cringing the most but it was a close run thing. I like Colin for instance (and adore Kristina) but their height difference is making it all look so awkward .. it's really annoying.

Iveta is lovely .. I prefer her to Aliona although Aliona is better than Karen .. where did they get her from? (and is it too late for a refund or an exchange?) :D

If I was given the choice, I'd definitely pick Iveta and Aliona next year and leave out Karen based on the first two weeks - if only for Aliona's love of chocolate pudding and custard which has been well documented on It Takes Two! I even saw her post a photo on twitter of a slab of chocolate cake with custard with just one word tweet to accompany it, "Breakfast" How could I not want to keep her on the show after that! :lol:

I'm not sure anyone will ever rival the Halfpenny I'm not bothered about Denise's previous dance experience .. she has an advantage over most but then so have others in the past and they haven't been penalised for it, I just have never liked her from the Big Breakfast days onwards .. I don't like all that ladette stuff and showing your bum every five mins .. it was all a bit .. common :D As you know me and James don't see eye to eye .. he rubs me up the wrong way but, with the dance-off now reinstalled, he should be safe for the final. It's more than possible that Denise will win people over by then and then who knows. Personally I would prefer to see someone going on a .... 'journey' (sorry .. I couldn't think of an alternative word ) but Alesha didn't really and neither did Kara .. and they were both worthy winners.

I think they only people who might have come close to Jill in the past were Alesha and Kelly but both got the jive quite early on in the competition, and I think it's one of those dances that is better if you've had chance to build up the knowledge of how to "get" the technique of dancing, which is why Jill's was so much better by the time she danced it in the final. I can understand why you don't like Denise, I guess I never really watched her on shows like The Big Breakfast, so I only know of her rather than having seen her in anything in particular.

I love a journey too (there is no other word, is there? ;)), and hope there might be one or two dark horses who've started out middle of the road who might produce a surprise or two in the future!

I always enjoy seeing sports people giving it a go because it's so out of their comfort zone usually. I'm not ultra keen on Victoria .. and that started at the Olympics (2012 .. I came into them being a bit of a fan) mainly (in this) because she doesn't seem to be much fun. I think she's hard work and Brendan has his work cut out .. but .. that could easily change when she gets more confident .. she may relax and bring the fun into it and, if I'm honest, I prefer to see people turn it completely around to those that start and continue well. My favourites are never written in stone and I've often ended the series backing someone I wasn't keen on to begin with. What dance have they got next week? do you know yet Claire? (you know all these things ) Louis has got so much potential .. he's heading for the final too if he can bring a bit more of his personality out.

I think it can be quite difficult for non-showbiz people to come into a programme like Strictly, as they're not so conscious of the cameras and how they need to be "on" more of the time, and it takes a while for them to relax. I only know a few of next weeks dances, but theirs isn't one of the ones I know unfortunately. So far, there's a couple of quicksteps and a tango, but not sure what else everyone will be dancing, but it is a Hollywood theme week (oh goody :roll:)

I quite liked them both too though Ola is another 'non favourite' .. she does too much preening and dancing around her celeb .. it's decorative but it's lazy (my Dad won't watch Strictly and the reason is .. which must be contrary to most of the men in the country .. that he can't stand the way the women pro's posture about during the latin dances .. I think I've picked up a few of his prejudices). Sid can dance though so hopefully he will be given lots to do and we might not have to see the catsuit this year (sorry guys) I like Vincent but am not sure about Dani (dancewise) .. she has the potential for improvement and that makes it very interesting. She reminds me a bit of Louisa Lytton and I liked her and Vincent together.

The problem with the latin dances, is that they do tend to be about showing off the female dancers, and when the male celebs aren't brilliant dancers, the females use their own dancing to try to detract from the men, and give them a chance to regroup during the routine to be able to get them into the next section of the dance, so it often makes them look like they're hogging the limelight, but you're right in that Ola tends to be one of the biggest culprits of this! I think Dani will improve every week, and I think Vincent will bring the best out in her.

There is something I like about him though (clearly .. not his dancing :D) .. but he has to be one of the ones in danger. I do like Nat (and I know you're not a fan .. could be we are completely vice-versa with our pro likes and dislikes .. though we do align with Vincent and Flavia .. indeed, who could not? :D). Richard was the one that had me cringing the most but it was a close run thing. I like Colin for instance (and adore Kristina) but their height difference is making it all look so awkward .. it's really annoying.

I'm coming round to Nat a lot more - this week particularly, as I said it was when even she couldn't stop herself from laughing when she was trying to say how brilliant Michael was, I saw a whole different side to her, and she made me giggle too. The height difference with Colin and Kristina can be overcome - I think there's about the same difference between Nicole and Matthew Cutler, and they were World Champions, so it's just got to be down to technique, which looks like it will come based on his first two dances.

Dances I know so far for next week are Jerry & Anton and Richard & Erin have Quickstep, and Sid & Ola have Tango, plus Denise & James have a ballroom, but that's as much as I've found out so far.

I can't stand Aliona, so I find it quite amusing that she's out before she even got the chance to dance :giggle2:

Agree with Kay about Pendles - 'hard work' might even be an understatement. Very pretty, though ninja.gif

Yeah I gather that now! Although she seemed slightly more relaxed than last week.

Yes, she'd obviously got the message. I think she only said 'yeah' once this week . . .

Such a shame to lose Johnny at the weekend - he's such a nice bloke, and really put of himself into the dancng.

The Strictly standards are higher every series,though, quite merciless on the celebs, and even the pros get hurt.

I'm glad Richard survived to tell the tale though.

Finally - someone from breakfast I.T.V. who isn't a disaster on the dancefloor :smile:

I'm a bit puzzled as to why they thought Victoria was as good as Kimberley.

I am totally puzzled now as to why Len thought Victoria was as good as Kimberley .. am I watching a different show? I don't like Rhumba at the best of times but Brendan was basically just dragging her around (and she can't spin for toffee). And Len gives her a 7 :o .. she won't have to step it up much for a 9/10. Perhaps the 7 was for Brendan's outfit :D .. can't disagree with that.

.. and he thinks Victoria is a better dancer than Louis :banghead: .. that is just :censored:

Edited by poppyshake

I watched most of it last night, did miss a couple of dances unfortunatly but i personally loved Louis' dance. Dirty Dancing is one of my favourite ever films and i thought he did it so well!

I missed Kimberley's dance and also Victoria's so i need to see if i can catch up on those before the results show 'tonight' :P

The judges scores were all over the place last night, and it's not just Len I would pick out - I have no idea how Darcey could give a 6 to Dani after having already given a 6 to Fern (was there more than ten seconds of Charleston in there?), Michael (better than his jive, but still not great), Jerry (how slow can a quickstep be?), and Lisa (who I love and sold it performance wise and had great timing, but technique was poor on some of the actual jive steps). AND then give a 7 to Colin (not much Argentine Tango going on there, and what was he doing with his foot on the ronde?), Richard (completely messed up one Charleston section and pretty slow for a quickstep) and Nicky (still has terrible posture and kept dropping his elbows and losing the frame).

Having said that, looking at the leaderboard are about in the right order for their dances on the night, with the exception of Dani & Vincent, who I think should have been slightly above Kimberley & Pasha and Lisa & Robin, and maybe even above Louis & Flavia, who I loved but should only have scored lower for having so little salsa in it.

It's all the fault of these pesky theme weeks - I know Flavia said she had to make it more of a mambo as that's what it is in the film. Poor Sid & Ola never stood a chance - terrible costumes (great to match in the film I guess, but not for a tango), massive overuse of props (get rid of that :censored: guitar) and a totally mismatched song for the style of dance. I don't know how the song/films are chosen, whether they're given the dance and told to pick a film and song to go with it, or whether it's the film they're given and have to find a dance that will suit the song, or if they're just told both. However it's done, can't believe you would have a Hollywood theme week without an American Smooth - the perfect fit!

Sid & Ola!! oh dear .. that was my cringe moment of the evening (only just .. because that Rhumba drag .. I don't think that's the official word for it :D .. which came about a quarter of the way into Victoria & Brendan's dance was so bad .. her feet were just sort of juddering along .. that I watched the rest through my hands) and it continued cos Sid looked mutinous all evening. I don't even know what their dance was supposed to be .. tango was it? :confused: .. and what was the musical?

Liked Dani and Vincent, Kimberley and Pasha and also Louis and Flavia .. perhaps it was an odd Salsa, and too much lifted from the film, but it looked good and he performed it well (for week 3). His hip action is good (I'm coming over all Darcey about it :giggle:)

I think the judges are bringing their personal preferences (for people) into it which they shouldn't. Len gets more grouchy by the day and somehow when he sticks the knife in he's far nastier than Craig (but then I think Craig talks the most sense anyway .. usually).

I do love Lisa and Robin .. maybe not the best executed jive ever but she's certainly not the comedy turn which a lot of people (me included probably) thought she would be. Robin is a sweetheart .. totally adorable. I liked Pasha in his glasses (though I had no idea what musical it came from ... I am hopeless at knowing these things). I feel sort of desperately sorry for Nicky .. Miss Whiplash would have got him into shape by now .. though he was better this week.

Vincent and Dani look to me as if they could be the ones to go on a journey .. she's got a lot of potential. Other than that the same people are good and the same are a bit rubbish.

These are the songs and films:

Colin & Kristina: Argentine Tango ‘Goldeneye' from the film 'Goldeneye'

Dani & Vincent: Foxtrot 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' from the film 'Wizard of Oz'

Denise & James: Foxtrot 'You've Got a Friend in Me' from the film 'Toy Story'

Fern & Artem: Charleston 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' from film 'Mary Poppins'

Jerry & Anton: Quickstep 'Mrs Robinson' from the film 'The Graduate'

Kimberley & Pasha: Quickstep 'Get Happy' from the film 'Summer Stock'

Lisa & Robin: Jive 'Hanky Panky' from the film 'Dick Tracy'

Louis & Flavia: Salsa '(I've Had) The Time of My Life' from the film 'Dirty Dancing'

Michael & Natalie: Cha Cha 'Hot Stuff' from the film 'The Full Monty'

Nicky & Karen: Quickstep 'Hey Pachuco' from the film 'The Mask'

Richard & Erin: Quickstep '9 to 5' from the film '9 to 5'

Sid & Ola: Tango 'Here I Go Again' from the film 'Rock of Ages'

Victoria & Brendan: Rumba 'Up Where We Belong' from the film 'An Officer & a Gentleman'

Well I loved the canine co-star of Dani and Vincent :smile: Very brave of them to have a live animal in the act (as opposed to a dead one, I hear you ask? :D ) though I thought the dog poo bag joke was a bit tactless as she was a perfect lady.

The "aah" factor may have opened the floodgates, though - next week ,,, a donkey?

These are the songs and films:

Thanks for coming to my aid Claire :)

Colin & Kristina: Argentine Tango ‘Goldeneye' from the film 'Goldeneye'

Didn't Mark & Karen use this for their AT? .. bad move :D

Dani & Vincent: Foxtrot 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' from the film 'Wizard of Oz'

Lovely wasn't it?

Kimberley & Pasha: Quickstep 'Get Happy' from the film 'Summer Stock'

Yes, of course :doh: I knew it was Judy.

Sid & Ola: Tango 'Here I Go Again' from the film 'Rock of Ages'

I know the song but still got no idea about the musical.

Victoria & Brendan: Rumba 'Up Where We Belong' from the film 'An Officer & a Gentleman'

One of the few I did know .. only had to see Brendan's costume and I knew :)

Len gets more grouchy by the day and somehow when he sticks the knife in he's far nastier than Craig (but then I think Craig talks the most sense anyway .. usually).

I couldn't agree more! Goodman thinks waaaay too much of himself, and he loves being contrary just to get the attention, imo. It's unfortunate that the judges seem to revel in their own celebrity status. He's also got a habit of shouting the other judges down. I'll say one thing for Craig - he always sits quietly whilst the others are having their say,

I watched the first episode of Arrow last night, which is the show that Colin Salmon has been jetting off to Canada to film. Looks like he's going to be a recurring character in it, which makes me wonder why he took on Strictly as well :shrug:

I watched the first episode of Arrow last night, which is the show that Colin Salmon has been jetting off to Canada to film. Looks like he's going to be a recurring character in it, which makes me wonder why he took on Strictly as well :shrug:

So many contestants struggle with their workload .. perhaps they commit to Strictly before they know quite what's in the pipeline. It's annoying because they can't give of their best then. Scott Maslen .. (one of the best male celeb jives I've ever seen on Strictly .. if not THE best) I was quite liking him but then he became central to some key Eastender's storyline (if any of them could be said to be key ;)) and he started looking terrible .. like he was sleepwalking (which he probably was). Take it on when you've more or less got a free schedule .. that's my advice (and you might become famous Steve .. so bear it in mind). It must be annoying for the pro's .. puts them at such a disadvantage.

Btw .. everyone here .. which pro would you choose to dance with?

I think I would find this easy if I were a man .. (Flavia or Natalie :D) but not so easy as a woman. I'd choose Ian Waite if he were still dancing .. or Matt Cutler ditto. Out of the current crop I'd probably just say anyone but James Jordan or Brendan .. just because I don't like one and I don't think my temperament would suit the other and not Anton because my latin would be bad enough anyway without his help. I don't know if I'm short enough for Vincent .. that just leaves Pasha, Artem and Robin. I think Artem and Pasha would be seriously upset if they got lumbered with me. Robin then .. he'd be ideal :) and I like him best anyway.