Your Book Activity ~ September 2012

Kylie

Just started The Crimson petal and the White.. it's really intriguing. And I have only a few pages left of a Dorothy Parker collection of her short stories. Now I know what being a wit means.

Another thumbs up for The Crimson Petal ..... :smile: I think i've read the Dorothy Parker Collection does it start off with a story about a soldier coming home to see his girl on leave & it all goes wrong, if so i really liked it :smile:

Would you believe charity shops have started opening on a Sunday :doh: Came home with:

Gallows Thief Bernard Cornwell

Lighthousekeeping Jeanette Winterson

A Conspiracy of Violence Susanna Gregory

Nicholas Nickleby Charles Dickens

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished The Groucho Letters: Letters To and From Groucho Marx. Could have read it much quicker, but its the kind of book I prefer to dip in and out of, and I was also reading a short story collection at the same time. (F. Scott Fitzgerald's 'Flappers and Philosophers' which is great, but which I have put aside for now, as I felt like reading a full length novel.)

Anyway, enjoyed The Groucho Letters a lot, and have now started Tatiana and Alexander, by Paullina Simons. It's the second book in The Bronze Horseman trilogy, and I loved the first one, so have high hopes for this! :)

Edited by Ruth

I had 20 odd books from amazon arrive on Friday (thank you redundancy pay!) I just have to find the time to read them now - with my new job being further away from me now most of my day is taken up, hay ho even if I don't get a chance to read them they do look really pretty on my bookshelf!

I haven't updated on here for ages, sadly too much going on in 'real life' and less and less reading being done :( I did however finally finish The Good Father by Noah Hawley, I enjoyed it but it was a little flat, but to be fair to Mr Hawley it may not have been the best book for me to read at the time.. :blush2: Now reading Kristin Hannah's new book, Home Front, which has made me blub already... Now that's what I need.. maybe!! :D Her books are so easy to read I'm a third of the way through already and I only started it yesterday. Hopefully it will be the kick start my mojo needs, now if I only I could create a bit more time then I might be able to update my book blog! :blush2::smile:

Completed Pride and Prejudice this morning - and am now looking forward to reading Austen's other novels.

Have picked up Angela's Ashes (by Frank McCourt) to read next.

The blurb on the back reminds me of Paddy Clarke HaHaHa - but I hope I enjoy it better!

Edited by bree

The blurb on the back reminds me of Paddy Clarke HaHaHa - but I hope I enjoy it better!

I think you probably will bree. I've only read a chapter of so of Angela's Ashes (was at a holiday cottage and had to leave it behind .. have got a copy now but other books have intruded) but it made me laugh far more than Paddy Clarke HaHaHa. One's fictional isn't it and the other non? I'm not sure but I would say that Roddy's humour is probably a lot grimmer (or was anyway in Paddy Clarke .. his Barrytown trilogy is another thing entirely .. I laughed myself sick). Obviously I don't know what comes later in Angela's Ashes .. it's a misery memoir so it's not going to be a barrel full of laughs but I think Frank's way of telling the story is warmer and more engaging.

Glad you enjoyed Pride & Prejudice :)

Completed Pride and Prejudice this morning - and am now looking forward to reading Austen's other novels.

I love P&P :) (But I love Emma and Persuasion more!)

It's been a while since I read Angela's Ashes, but I remember I enjoyed it a lot. I hope you do too!

I think you probably will bree. I've only read a chapter of so of Angela's Ashes (was at a holiday cottage and had to leave it behind .. have got a copy now but other books have intruded) but it made me laugh far more than Paddy Clarke HaHaHa. One's fictional isn't it and the other non? I'm not sure but I would say that Roddy's humour is probably a lot grimmer (or was anyway in Paddy Clarke .. his Barrytown trilogy is another thing entirely .. I laughed myself sick). Obviously I don't know what comes later in Angela's Ashes .. it's a misery memoir so it's not going to be a barrel full of laughs but I think Frank's way of telling the story is warmer and more engaging.

Glad you enjoyed Pride & Prejudice :)

I love P&P :) (But I love Emma and Persuasion more!)

It's been a while since I read Angela's Ashes, but I remember I enjoyed it a lot. I hope you do too!

This gives me hope - thank you, you two! :friends3:

Paddy Clarke was too jerky - (as in the narrative - not that he was a jerk) - and the style was too muddling and left me completely cold towards that 9 year old.

And yes, Pride and Prejudice was a splendid read!

Paddy Clarke was too jerky - (as in the narrative - not that he was a jerk)

I'm sorry, but that made me chuckle! :giggle2:

I'm glad you enjoyed Pride and Prejudice - as soon as I've reduced my paper 'to read' pile I'm going to try another on my Kindle!

I have just ordered A Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling. I cant wait to see what its like when it comes out!

Ooooooohh!! :D I am so tempted but I mustn't :( This is such a crowded birthday month, special birthday's too (a 40th and a 80th). I don't begrudge people birthdays but it's eating into my book spending money :D I wonder if my Dad would like A Casual Vacancy? :D .. I fear he would see through me.

Reading Virginia Woolf's Orlando .. absolutely brilliant so far and am understanding every word .. can't last :D

Another thumbs up for The Crimson Petal ..... :smile: I think i've read the Dorothy Parker Collection does it start off with a story about a soldier coming home to see his girl on leave & it all goes wrong, if so i really liked it :smile:

Yes!! It's called something like You might as well live, well I mean, that's the translation of the italian title.. anyway, Dorothy Parker was a genius.

And The Crimson petal is sooo wonderful I can't stop read it even if I'm in bed with high fever at the moment.

I've just finished Train to Budapest by Dacia Maraini and have made a start today on The Return of Captain John Emmett by Elizabeth Speller - in between those I have been catching up on the Agatha Raisin books for light relief :smile:

Hope and Glory is more history than travel, and although it's fascinating, I've had enough after one chapter at a time, but it means I've been dedicating more time to Pride & Prejudice which I'm almost halfway through, and absolutely loving it all over again, and savouring some of my favourite pieces. :smile2:

In other news, despite the fact I don't really like buying second hand books, I did manage to find Aimez-vous Brahms, a Françoise Sagan novel, yesterday - an old orange Penguin copy for just £1 - but I've never seen any of her books other than the Modern Classics edition of Bonjour Tristesse and A Certain Smile, which I thought were fantastic (Bonjour Tristesse has the best opening paragraph I've ever read) so I was genuinely delighted.

I've finally given up on 'Don Quixote' by Cervantes. At first I thought that I would really enjoy this, but as time went on I found it increasingly more rambling and couldn't hold my attention. This is the third novel I have abandoned this year, I don't know why I'm losing my attnetion for books at the moment!

Anyway now Im going to try 'Game of Thrones' by George R.R Martin. I have watched a few episodes of the tv series and I really enjoyed it. So fingers crossed I can actually finish this one.

i been reading the shining by stephen king and i can not put it down!!makes u hungry all this reading!!! lol

I've finally given up on 'Don Quixote' by Cervantes. At first I thought that I would really enjoy this, but as time went on I found it increasingly more rambling and couldn't hold my attention. This is the third novel I have abandoned this year, I don't know why I'm losing my attnetion for books at the moment!

Anyway now Im going to try 'Game of Thrones' by George R.R Martin. I have watched a few episodes of the tv series and I really enjoyed it. So fingers crossed I can actually finish this one.

let us know how game of thrones is.have been thinking if to read it or not !!

i been reading the shining by stephen king and i can not put it down!!makes u hungry all this reading!!! lol

let us know how game of thrones is.have been thinking if to read it or not !!

I will let you know how 'Games Of Thrones' turns out. I read 'The Shining' years ago and it's a very good book (I prefer the film though).

I finished The Stepford Wives. I really loved it - short, snappy and entertaining. It's just what I needed. :smile:

I'm now reading The Universe Inside You by Brian Clegg. Interesting, but I'm debating whether I should read a fiction along side it. I sometimes tend to struggle when reading non-fiction. :blush2: